PDA

View Full Version : Sound out of sync

Phil Lawton
26-12-2017, 12:34
Breaking in a new Sony 4k blu ray player. Running this into a Samsung 4k TV.

I have an issue with sound being out of sync when sending the sound to my amp via co-axial, in that the sound is marginally (and annoyingly) in front of the visuals.

No problem with sending via the optical cable that runs between the TV and the amp, but I've always preferred the quality of a co-axial.

The TV does have an option to offset the sound, but this hasn't helped.

Any ideas? Do I need to upgrade the optical cable to get closer to the quality of the city-axial, maybe?

The blu ray player does have dedicated HDMI output for sound, bug my amp doesn't have an HDMI input. I assume I could upgrade to a new amp which I'd thusly equipped, but that seems like using a sledgehammer to crack a peanut.

Any suggestions welcomed.

Lerxst
29-12-2017, 21:27
When you say coax do you mean the coax digital output of the blueray player? So, sound goes to your amp from Blueray and picture goes to TV via HDMI?

Or am I completely off track here?

YNWaN
29-12-2017, 21:34
No cable can solve this - it is an inherent delay issue with the D2A conversion in your amp.

bobvfr
29-12-2017, 21:51
You don't mention what way round you have cabled (EDIT: Sorry you do and it's the same as mine).

I use and Xbox One X as my 4k Blu-Ray (And everything else), I take my HDMI from the Xbox to my TV and then an optical cable back from the TV to the receiver .

If I take the optical from the Xbox to the receiver then I get the out of sync sound.

It doesn't make any difference to the sound quality what way I go, just the sync.

I haven't tried using the HDMI throughput facility of my receiver or using HDMI ARC as my HDMI cables are all packed ready for moving.

Lerxst
29-12-2017, 22:01
No cable can solve this - it is an inherent delay issue with the D2A conversion in your amp.

But the sound is in front of visuals. Not a delay. Gotta be how the Blu ray handles it. Firmware update?

bobvfr
29-12-2017, 22:26
But the sound is in front of visuals. Not a delay. Gotta be how the Blu ray handles it. Firmware update?

That is the way around I get it as well if I feed the audio to the amp from the Xbox, it's the TV's internals that cause the sync issue so it's best to feed the sound back to the amp from the TV.

struth
29-12-2017, 22:29
Yup your all right tbh. creative wiring can solve it

Lerxst
29-12-2017, 22:43
No problem with sending via the optical cable that runs between the TV and the amp, but I've always preferred the quality of a co-axial.

I think there is either a delay from the blu ray on audio or a delay on video on the TV as Bob suggested. Looks like you are stuck with your least-preferred option for now. :doh:

dantheman91
29-12-2017, 22:53
Just been having out of sync with my Sky Q box in the last day or 2 any one else had it...really annoying :scratch:

jostber
30-12-2017, 01:50
There might be some useful input in this article:

https://www.cnet.com/news/lip-sync-error-causes-solutions/

Phil Lawton
02-01-2018, 11:32
As someone else correctly pointed out, it's a not a delay caused by the amp's D2A capabilities...the sound is fractionally ahead of the visuals.

Looking at the possibility of an HDMI-RCA or -optical converter (if such a thing exists) to utlise the HDMI audio output from the player, but for the expense, it's probably easier to get hold of a top-jolly optical cable.

I'll go and have a chat with the spuds at Richer Sounds...I have a £30 voucher for them that would cover the cost.