PDA

View Full Version : Turntable belt upgrade

postmanpat
25-12-2017, 21:48
Seriously, can a new belt, upgrade the sound quality, if your stock belt is in good working order with no defects? Example offerings i'm taking about are from Origin Live.

Aethelred
26-12-2017, 07:33
The same belt maybe a little as it will limit stretching existing in old one but changing material of the belt definitely. I've changed from rubber belt to string and finally to mylar tape 1/4inch and I can hear improvement across the spectrum.

vinylist
26-12-2017, 07:57
Hi Simon - what TT is it for? I've no experience with the OL belts but like many others found rega's white belt a worthwhile upgrade.

Audio Al
26-12-2017, 08:06
Are you hearing wow and flutter ? if not leave alone

postmanpat
26-12-2017, 09:28
It's for a Kuzma Stabi SD. I don't have any issues with sound, but i read how a belt could improve it. I would have never thought something like this would make a difference, unless the old one is stretched or has a kink.

Interested to see how many others have changed this and found any improvement.

cre009
26-12-2017, 09:33
It is important that the belts used meets the operational specification of the turntable. They do matter.

A belt that is the wrong thickness will adversely change the operational speed of the deck. Belts that are too thick will run a little fast which may well be audible. For many this seems counter intuitive because they believe only the platter and pulley surface dictate speed but the reality is the belt thickness also contributes to the speed. The outside of the belt has to run faster than the inside of the belt and the effective operational speed of the turntable is controlled from the centre of the pulley to approx half of the width of the belt.

A belt that is too tight may cause mechanical issues with the pulley operation and may also run fast. A belt that is too loose may slip.

Belts can stretch over time though I have seen suggestions that boiling the belt in water for a few minutes may return it towards its original tension. No idea if this is effective.

The material used may change the friction characteristics. However in some cases for example with the original AR XA decks the manufacturers actually recommend the use of talc to reduce belt friction.

GJO
26-12-2017, 09:57
Seriously, can a new belt, upgrade the sound quality, if your stock belt is in good working order with no defects? Example offerings i'm taking about are from Origin Live.

Yes https://www.basisaudio.com/revolution-belt/