PDA

View Full Version : FS: Salas Simplistic JFET Phono stage.

disarmamant
20-12-2017, 13:58
Salas folded simplistic JFET phono stage for MC cartridges only. Built from a DIY Audio forum group buy PCB's.

Two box construction, raw DC power supply with quality 'R-Core' mains transformer and phono stage with on board shunt regulation. Umbilical connecting cable with five pin XLR.

Aluminium cases with 8mm thick front panels. Power supply has centrally mounted red LED power indicator.

Built with the best components, Clarity Caps in the coupling and output stages.

Input impedance set by DIP switches on the PCB.

Solid silver input and output connecting wire.

Gold plated input and output phono sockets.

£375 plus postage at cost.

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/mya7uccr3nxbca4/phono%20outside.jpg?dl=0

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/ci66aiub18u5bah/psu%20outside.jpg?dl=0

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/zvo2v4obx1kma6d/phono%20inside.jpg?dl=0

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/fdkrv0d0799n081/phono%20inside%20close%231.jpg?dl=0

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/dox72eplqx3adkw/phono%20inside%20close%232.jpg?dl=0

disarmamant
26-12-2017, 11:11
Price reduced to £335

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Marra
26-12-2017, 17:10
An excellent phonostage. GLWS.

5acan
27-12-2017, 10:50
your inbox is full
free bump

disarmamant
27-12-2017, 11:43
Price reduced to £295

disarmamant
08-01-2018, 09:07
Price reduced to £295

It's still for sale...

Audio Al
08-01-2018, 09:48
Would this work OK with the following carts

Goldring Eroica XL
Zyx R100 Yatra
Shelta 5000

I was going to buy a Rothwell Head amp , is this unit better ? Sorry if the questions seem daft as I am no electronics expert :(

disarmamant
08-01-2018, 11:48
Would this work OK with the following carts

Goldring Eroica XL
Zyx R100 Yatra
Shelta 5000

I was going to buy a Rothwell Head amp , is this unit better ? Sorry if the questions seem daft as I am no electronics expert :(

This is an RIAA phono stage for moving coil cartridges. So it's not a head amp.

It should be OK with the Goldring and the Shelter. If the ZYX is the low output version it probably won't have sufficient gain.

There is quite a wide range of loading values available by DIP switch settings.

I used it with a Koetsu Black Goldline and a ZYX R50 bloom high output version.

walpurgis
08-01-2018, 13:34
Only about 3db difference between low and normal output ZYX MC's so it is unlikely to be very noticeable.

RothwellAudio
08-01-2018, 15:40
Only about 3db difference between low and normal output ZYX MC's so it is unlikely to be very noticeable.
The difference is a factor of 2. That's a 6dB difference in voltage. 3dB equates to a factor of 2 for power. 6dB equates to a factor of 2 for voltage.

walpurgis
08-01-2018, 15:59
Ah well. I was going by my ears. I have low and normal ZYX MC's and can't hear much between them.

RothwellAudio
08-01-2018, 16:08
You're right, it doesn't amount to a great deal of difference in practical terms. The phonostage should cope ok.

disarmamant
08-01-2018, 20:27
You're right, it doesn't amount to a great deal of difference in practical terms. The phonostage should cope ok.

Agreed, but it depends on the overall gain of what it’s driving. I’m being careful here.

disarmamant
14-01-2018, 12:23
JFET MC phono stage is still here.

It's been a popular phono stage and well regarded on the DIY Audio site with more than one group buy of the PCB's.

I know DIY stuff is often difficult to sell as prospective buyers can be put off because of potential resale value. With that in mind I'm prepared to offer it on a 'sale or return' basis for any AOS/PFM forum regulars who are interested to try it out in their system.

However as its a two box construction, and quite bulky, I'd prefer audition and collection from South Northants or I can meet up / deliver within 50 miles of NN13.

Postage at cost is fine for an outright sale though.

Bksabath
14-01-2018, 12:54
I have built that myself
It is pretty good for the money and you have used more than decent components, for what you are asking you lucky to break even
IMO worth a listen ...
I have not heard the Rothwell head amp But had the great pleasure to ear the signature 1 and signature 2 and those are really good...
In regard to the gain it may be adjustable a bit :scratch: mine work fine whit the Goldring Elite I also had built the Older Sallas Simplistic and doubled the input Jfets but still one has the amplifier knob to play whit

It is worth a listen and sale or return ... can't go wrong really

disarmamant
17-03-2018, 09:39
JFET MC phono stage is still here.

It's been a popular phono stage and well regarded on the DIY Audio site with more than one group buy of the PCB's.

I know DIY stuff is often difficult to sell as prospective buyers can be put off because of potential resale value. With that in mind I'm prepared to offer it on a 'sale or return' basis for any AOS/PFM forum regulars who are interested to try it out in their system.

However as its a two box construction, and quite bulky, I'd prefer audition and collection from South Northants or I can meet up / deliver within 50 miles of NN13.

Postage at cost is fine for an outright sale though.

Some interest in this, but still here.

disarmamant
15-06-2018, 13:05
Now reduced to £275 plus postage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slim
23-06-2018, 21:01
Now reduced to £275 plus postage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi,

I have a Denon 103 cartridge that has a 40ohms impedence I think. Is that covered by the settings with the switches? I have a slight hiss problem and cartridge/phono stage compatibility could be the cause...

Thanks!

disarmamant
24-06-2018, 08:16
Hi,

I have a Denon 103 cartridge that has a 40ohms impedence I think. Is that covered by the settings with the switches? I have a slight hiss problem and cartridge/phono stage compatibility could be the cause...

Thanks!

If your cartridge has an internal impedance of 40 ohms then the load should be approximately ten times that, at around 400 ohms.

In my experience it’s not that critical with most MC cartridges.

The loading in the Salas phono is adjustable with small DIP switches and I’m pretty sure you will find a load the Denon will be happy with.

A hiss problem is not usually anything to do with the load that cartridge is working into. What phono stage are you using at the moment?

Slim
24-06-2018, 19:23
A hiss problem is not usually anything to do with the load that cartridge is working into. What phono stage are you using at the moment

I have a Vincent PHO 700. I'm not sure why I can hear the hiss, I read somewhere that the Denon 103 had a difficult load but maybe that's not it...

disarmamant
25-06-2018, 17:29
I have a Vincent PHO 700. I'm not sure why I can hear the hiss, I read somewhere that the Denon 103 had a difficult load but maybe that's not it...

I just checked on your phono stage.

As far as I can make out both the MM and the MC stages are an active opamp stage with adjustable gain followed by a valve output using a twin triode ECC82. The valve output stage is most likely just a cathode follower with unity gain.

It’s likely the hiss is a factor of the extra gain in MC mode.

My Salas phono is an MC only stage, but uses discreet Jfet amplification. It has slightly less gain than your Vincent and probably less hiss.

If it was me I’d be looking for a suitable SUT (step up transformer) for the Denon and use the Vincent in MM mode. You will get much less hiss and probably a better sound than using the Vincent in MC mode.

Bksabath
26-06-2018, 19:56
Mine works prety well whit the Goldring Elitte I can't see any problem whit any MC set up
I can't believe is still there at that price

Slim
26-06-2018, 21:43
I
If it was me I’d be looking for a suitable SUT (step up transformer) for the Denon and use the Vincent in MM mode. You will get much less hiss and probably a better sound than using the Vincent in MC mode.

Thanks! That's exactly what I have done but the SUT + MM is not solving the hiss problem. I think it's a mass/compliance compatibility between the arm and cartridge, and I decided to part with the Denon 103...
It's a shame I already have the Vincent phono stage, I would have bought yours otherwise!

Bigman80
26-06-2018, 21:52
The Vincent may have a noisy valve. It's highly unlikely hiss is evident from a Mass/compliance issue.

Some phonostages are noisy. I'd try some new valves.

walpurgis
26-06-2018, 22:22
The Vincent may have a noisy valve. It's highly unlikely hiss is evident from a Mass/compliance issue.

Some phonostages are noisy. I'd try some new valves.

I reckon that could be right. Worth a try.

disarmamant
27-06-2018, 16:57
Thanks! That's exactly what I have done but the SUT + MM is not solving the hiss problem. I think it's a mass/compliance compatibility between the arm and cartridge, and I decided to part with the Denon 103...
It's a shame I already have the Vincent phono stage, I would have bought yours otherwise!

Try shorting the inputs with a shorting plug. If the hiss is still there then it’s nothing to do with the cartridge. However it could be RF interference. Is the turntable or the SUT near a wireless router?

Bigman80
27-06-2018, 17:11
Routers and such make various different noises, trust me! I have that issue here.

The hiss is nothing to do with the Cart, arm or Mass/compliance. The hiss is the gain becoming audible, like when you turn the volume up on am amp to max and you hear the hiss.

It'll be the Phonostage. Either noisy valves or just the design of it to make it have enough Gain for MC. My Jolida JD9 did it up until I removed the valves for new ones.

If it's switchable to MM, try that and see if you can hear the same level off hiss. If not, then that's the answer.

disarmamant
27-06-2018, 17:23

Hang on, are you saying the hiss is evident when playing a record, or is it when the stylus is not in the groove?

disarmamant
27-06-2018, 17:25
If it's switchable to MM, try that and see if you can hear the same level off hiss. If not, then that's the answer.

I think the OP has already tried that with a SUT and the hiss is still there.

Bigman80
27-06-2018, 17:34
I think the OP has already tried that with a SUT and the hiss is still there.

Sent from my iPad using TapatalkIf there is hiss on MM & MC, and it's of equal volume then gawd knows.

Just realised this is a sales thread [emoji54]

OP should start a thread of his own. Sorry for the drift and GLWS.

Jazid
27-06-2018, 22:29
There's usually one stage of gain for the MM and another for the MC and whilst the MC stage is usually the noisy one in this case it could be the second gain stage? Worth some valve swapsies IMHO...

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk