PDA

View Full Version : spotify control question

diviy
20-12-2017, 01:54
Is there anyway I can control spotify remotely .I connect my tablet to my passive pre via a cable but some days when my back is really playing up I cant get off the settee
Is there any way of controling my tablet with my phone for selecting what tracks to play.I can control foobar when I connect my computer up with a app but want to control spotify from the settee.
The tablet is a Samsung Tab A 10.1

Bksabath
20-12-2017, 03:44
I have Spotify on the Laptop for £10 / £20 you can get a usb wireless mouse and keyboard mine is a Logitech and it works pretty well
I am typing this from my couch

PhilofCas
20-12-2017, 07:12
Hi Gerald,

A Chromecast Audio will perform that function, look into them, you can use with a dac or on its own, I use it on its own with a 3.5mm jack to stereo RCA lead, works extremely well.

All the best,

Phil

struth
20-12-2017, 08:30
spotify premium allows you to play music from any device and control it from any device. wont work without premium tho.

diviy
20-12-2017, 09:29
cheers all new to Spotify and first time I started it up on phone and tablet at the same time and it give the option to listen on one and select tracks and control the second with it no volume remote only down side but well happy

struth
20-12-2017, 09:38
not sure if the vc works across devices, but kinda thought it did. you will improve sound if you had a pc connected to your hifi dac, running the web player and use a tablet to control it

pgarrish
26-12-2017, 21:36
If you start up spotify on the tablet plugged into the hifi, then start it up on your phone, it should give you the option to keep listening on the tablet or switch to the phone. leave it on the tablet and the phone will control it.

Alternatively, the chromecast will save you having to plug your tablet into the hifi and you could control it with the tablet and/or the phone..

gninnam
27-12-2017, 21:51
Get a Raspberry PI 3 with DAC (I use a IQaudio DAC+) With Volumio or Moode installed plus the Spotify app and away you go. Should cost less than £90 all in.

Crackles
20-01-2018, 19:38
Get a Raspberry PI 3 with DAC (I use a IQaudio DAC+) With Volumio or Moode installed plus the Spotify app and away you go. Should cost less than £90 all in..

Crackles
20-01-2018, 19:39
Can you explain this in more detail? I don't understand anything about Rasberry PIs. Is the dac built in? If so can a PI transmit via Bluetooth? Does it have Wifi and can you download apps? (I use Deezer). Thanks

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

gninnam
21-01-2018, 13:27
Can you explain this in more detail? I don't understand anything about Rasberry PIs. Is the dac built in? If so can a PI transmit via Bluetooth? Does it have Wifi and can you download apps? (I use Deezer). Thanks

All good questions.
The PI is a bare bones mini computer with everything included on the board (latest version has Ethernet/Wifi, 4 USB ports, HDMI out, 5V power micro USB in and also 3.5mm audio out.
Most people bypass the audio out as very noisy so install a DAC which you then connect to your amp.
With the PI connected to the network (either cable or Wifi) you can then control it.
You need to down load and install the operating system and in the case of Moode or Volumio, the OS also installs the music interface.
Regards Bluetooth - you can buy a USB Bluetooth dongle and and using the native OS you can stream music to it, but not sure if Moode or Volumio would work with it as not my modus operandi!!

Hope this helps!

hifinutt
21-01-2018, 16:13
cheers all new to Spotify and first time I started it up on phone and tablet at the same time and it give the option to listen on one and select tracks and control the second with it no volume remote only down side but well happy

i use a sonos system with a controller as i have no smartphone . piece of cake to use and remote control works well

Crackles
21-01-2018, 17:06
All good questions.
The PI is a bare bones mini computer with everything included on the board (latest version has Ethernet/Wifi, 4 USB ports, HDMI out, 5V power micro USB in and also 3.5mm audio out.
Most people bypass the audio out as very noisy so install a DAC which you then connect to your amp.
With the PI connected to the network (either cable or Wifi) you can then control it.
You need to down load and install the operating system and in the case of Moode or Volumio, the OS also installs the music interface.
Regards Bluetooth - you can buy a USB Bluetooth dongle and and using the native OS you can stream music to it, but not sure if Moode or Volumio would work with it as not my modus operandi!!

Hope this helps!Cheers for this, appreciate it. It does sound appealing, but the problem I have at the moment is using a DAC and Bluetooth to headphones at the same time. I use Deezer from my Galaxy S6, sometimes to BT headphones but that obviously means using the phone's own DAC. I much prefer using my Fiio DAC but this will only work with wired headphones. It also presents the problem that the phone has only one USB port so I can't charge the phone at the same time as using an external DAC.

Ideally I want to stream Deezer via wifi to a portable device with a decent onboard DAC that will transmit out via bluetooth. Could I use the Deezer app with the operating systems you mentioned?

WAD62
21-01-2018, 19:45
Cheers for this, appreciate it. It does sound appealing, but the problem I have at the moment is using a DAC and Bluetooth to headphones at the same time. I use Deezer from my Galaxy S6, sometimes to BT headphones but that obviously means using the phone's own DAC. I much prefer using my Fiio DAC but this will only work with wired headphones. It also presents the problem that the phone has only one USB port so I can't charge the phone at the same time as using an external DAC.

Ideally I want to stream Deezer via wifi to a portable device with a decent onboard DAC that will transmit out via bluetooth. Could I use the Deezer app with the operating systems you mentioned?

Have you considered a Chromecast Audio? An excellent streaming solution if you don't want any local file streaming...

I use a network of raspberry pis and squeezebox clients, running LMS/piCorePlayer on the pi's, overall a very flexible solution, but a bit OTT if all you want is to stream Deezer, controlled via an Android phone...try a CCA

Crackles
21-01-2018, 19:49
Have you considered a Chromecast Audio? An excellent streaming solution if you don't want any local file streaming...

I use a network og raspberry pis and squeezebox clients, running LMS/piCorePlayer on the pi's, overall a very flexible solution, but a bit OTT if all you want is to stream Deezer, controlled via an Android phone, try a CCAI've got a Chromecast audio, which I sometimes use to stream Deezer to my HiFi. It can be temperamental using it that way but mostly works well. It won't work to get sound to my headphones though. The reason I want a fully portable option is because when I'm listening to music in the kitchen or whatever I am moving about hence the need for Bluetooth. Hope that makes sense.

WAD62
21-01-2018, 20:03
I've got a Chromecast audio, which I sometimes use to stream Deezer to my HiFi. It can be temperamental using it that way but mostly works well. It won't work to get sound to my headphones though. The reason I want a fully portable option is because when I'm listening to music in the kitchen or whatever I am moving about hence the need for Bluetooth. Hope that makes sense.

Oops I should have read the first page...so you need blue tooth in, and out

What about this?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/FiiO-BTR1-Bluetooth-Headphone-Amp/dp/B075YD83Y9

Crackles
21-01-2018, 20:09
Oops I should have read the first page...so you need blue tooth in, and out

What about this?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/FiiO-BTR1-Bluetooth-Headphone-Amp/dp/B075YD83Y9I don't need bluetooth in, just out. Wi-Fi is fine on the way in...however, that Fiio looks brilliant! I didn't know they did a Bluetooth amp, and it says it has a DAC on board too. I love the performance of my Fiio E18 (even if the battery life is a bit poor) so I will definitely look into this. Cheers.

struth
21-01-2018, 20:34
Best Bluetooth units Ive used are the class1 Avantree units. One I have has pass through and analogue or digital in. That's if your happy to go to a 2 box system but opens up your options

Crackles
21-01-2018, 20:55
Best Bluetooth units Ive used are the class1 Avantree units. One I have has pass through and analogue or digital in. That's if your happy to go to a 2 box system but opens up your optionsHave you got a link to this?

The thing I don't understand is how a phone or whatever can transmit an unconceverted digital signal to a DAC. I thought the signal sent to a Bluetooth receiver was already converted to analogue? It seems that the Fiio unit takes digital data via bluetooth then converts it to analogue. How does the source know whether to do the analogue conversion on board or not?

struth
21-01-2018, 21:14
http://www.avantree.com/long-range-bluetooth-transmitter-and-receiver-avantree-oasis.html

You can get it on amazon

Used low latency too so no sync probs. About 50£ a pop tho

Crackles
21-01-2018, 21:57
http://www.avantree.com/long-range-bluetooth-transmitter-and-receiver-avantree-oasis.html

You can get it on amazon

Used low latency too so no sync probs. About 50£ a pop thoDoes look good that. I've had some Avantree stuff before and it is very decent for the price.

struth
21-01-2018, 22:09
It's very good. Sound is very close to lossless and the unit works well. Even talks

WAD62
21-01-2018, 22:29
It's very good. Sound is very close to lossless and the unit works well. Even talks

Has aptx too, so probably a better bet, as I have no knowledge of the FiiO...

struth
21-01-2018, 22:56
Yup it's the 4.2 version I believe