PDA

View Full Version : CD Transport Upgrade

ovlov854
19-12-2017, 10:31
Hi Y'All
I am now in the situation of contemplating an upgrade to my digital section which consists of an Audiomeca Kreatura transport which has also been upgraded to sync to the AS DAX Deade but for obvious reasons do not use it
My DAC is the SW1X DAC 1 with a choice Tesla E88cc
Now do I upgrade transport or dac??
Ideally it should be half width
Any ideas :scratch::scratch::scratch:

Yomanze
19-12-2017, 11:43
Am not sure any upgrades are necessary if you like the sound more than the DAX, which is a very capable DAC.

SW1X
19-12-2017, 17:32
Hi Y'All
I am now in the situation of contemplating an upgrade to my digital section which consists of an Audiomeca Kreatura transport which has also been upgraded to sync to the AS DAX Deade but for obvious reasons do not use it

Dear Martin,

Upgrading transports can be quite tricky. The digital transport must be seen as an integral part of your digital setup (as well as the rest of your system of course). A digital transport can either make or break the sound of a system and in my book it is even more important than a DAC itself because it streams musical information down to a DAC, which in the end sounds only as good as the transport does. If a transport does not stream right, the correctness of the digital stream cannot can be restored back later.

That is how crucial it is.

The other issue is to find the right transport that will match or complement the qualities of your DAC. This is even more tricky because to date I have been struggling to find a transport that would sound as analogue as some of the finest turntables do.

S

Yomanze
22-12-2017, 12:56
Unless the transport is obviously flawed then I apply the 80/20 rule - 80% of the sound down the the DAC and 20% transport. To read that the transport is more important than a DAC in determining the final sound is a first for me. :P

I tried the SW1X USB transport a while back and did find it a bit bright and forward; my Halide Bridge sounded more natural and analogue to me.

I do agree that some transports can add an “edge” or make things too “smooth”, and they are important, just not as much as the DAC side.

Macca
22-12-2017, 13:06
In my own experience I'd say it is transport/DAC 50/50 in terms of influence. I was quite shocked at the differences between transports when I experimented. I've never seen anything that explains this phenomenon, which is annoying as how can you decide on a transport if you don't know what exactly makes a good one?

The only explanations I have seen are nonsense about imagining the differences or nonsense about jitter. No-one seems to know, not even the people who make them.

montesquieu
22-12-2017, 13:28
Hi Y'All

Maybe we could do a temporary swap .. I've been curious about trying a transport that would synch with my Mutech reclocker/master clock box which I suspect the Audiomeca will do. Having said that, my Audio Note CDT2/II is a pretty good transport. Oxford services is about halfway we could meet up?

Of course something like the Mutec itself could be worth a try.

SW1X
22-12-2017, 18:08
Unless the transport is obviously flawed then I apply the 80/20 rule - 80% of the sound down the the DAC and 20% transport. To read that the transport is more important than a DAC in determining the final sound is a first for me. :P

I tried the SW1X USB transport a while back and did find it a bit bright and forward; my Halide Bridge sounded more natural and analogue to me.

I do agree that some transports can add an “edge” or make things too “smooth”, and they are important, just not as much as the DAC side.

Greetings Neil,

Everything being relative, not entirely sure how you got a product from us but I can only speculate that what you had was a prototype and not a product (on a loan that I did not authorize to be loaned further) of what we now days call SW1X USB I, which is a different animal relative to a prototype you had. On top of that you are talking about an USB interface, which probably makes up a half or even less of a digital transport. A computer along with its power supplies, OS & wiring (probably the most crucial factor) makes up the other very significant part of the sound.

S

ovlov854
22-12-2017, 23:03
On good sense alone I would lean to the view that the transport must be the most important factor purely on the basis of crap in crap out.
From my own experience the transport side of my CDP could not match that of my dedicated transport. But then which transport does one audition/try??
So that's where you guys come in

ovlov854
22-12-2017, 23:16
Maybe we could do a temporary swap .. I've been curious about trying a transport that would synch with my Mutech reclocker/master clock box which I suspect the Audiomeca will do. Having said that, my Audio Note CDT2/II is a pretty good transport. Oxford services is about halfway we could meet up?

Of course something like the Mutec itself could be worth a try.
Hi Tom......Yes we could do that
However I should point out that my Kreatura has been modified by Audio Synthesis themselves and is badged as such. There is a rotary switch on the back for AS lock and ordinary output. The latter is the only output I have used since I do not have the Dax Decade Dac. Neither did the guy I bought it from.
I just wanted to let you know exactly what it is before we go any further.
But yes I would sure like to hear what a good AN Dac would do

Blueflash
23-12-2017, 19:35
I am in Hereford and have an Audionote CDT 3 transport. You would be welcome to bring your Dac down to try it with the CDT 3.
I have the ATC SCA2 preamp and ATC50ASL speakers in a treated room so differences would be easily heard.

Ninanina
23-12-2017, 19:56
In my own experience I'd say it is transport/DAC 50/50 in terms of influence.

I'd kind of agree with that Martin

My current transport and dac are about the same cost and I find they match really well :)

Lawrence001
23-12-2017, 21:09
When I've compared various Cd players as transports I've always been surprised how much of the relative character of the cd players come through when used as transports, when I expected most of the character to be the result of the dac and output stage employed. I put much of this down to isolation, damping and feet etc, as sticking sorbothane underneath did reduce the differences quite a bit. So my take was to experiment with isolation with what I've got before splashing out on a new one.

Sent from my NEM-L51 using Tapatalk

sq225917
24-12-2017, 01:35
Bits is bits. Buy the best dac you can and ignore the transport side of things.

ovlov854
24-12-2017, 10:28
I am in Hereford and have an Audionote CDT 3 transport. You would be welcome to bring your Dac down to try it with the CDT 3.
I have the ATC SCA2 preamp and ATC50ASL speakers in a treated room so differences would be easily heard.
Hi Alex.....Thats most kind and I may well take you up on that :D

mfin
24-12-2017, 19:16
I have a Cyrus CD Signature listed on another forum if you're interested, half width of course. PM me on here or there if it is of interest at all.
https://www.rdhworld.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=31390

Blueflash
31-12-2017, 13:16
Hi Alex.....Thats most kind and I may well take you up on that :D

No Problem, just give me a day or two notice :-)