PDA

View Full Version : Why are you here?

Scooby
17-12-2017, 20:18
I asked myself what I get from my time spent online the other day. Suffice to say I've decided to spend less time online as a result. I won't be spending less time here though, because I enjoy searching through the archive for the myriad of interesting topics, reading people's hifi blogs and enjoying the general banter and atmosphere. AOS has to be the most knowledgeable forum as far as I can see and I feel that I get value from being here.

What does AoS do for you?

walpurgis
17-12-2017, 20:22

Keeps me out of mischief and engenders a false sense of self importance! :lol:

Lerxst
17-12-2017, 20:32

I don't do anything on-line except this. I like the easy-going nature of everything and there are plenty of people who know a lot more than I do.

My friend Rob recently gave me the HiFi bug. Although I am on the budget end, HiFi-wise, it is nice to read what people have to say. The archive section is pretty amazing.

Plus you can get introduced to artists you have never heard of.

Oh, and I am now called a Senior Member after 100 posts - makes me feel special :pat:

YNWaN
18-12-2017, 13:27
Keeps me out of mischief and engenders a false sense of self importance! :lol:

Yep - well summarised.

Scooby
18-12-2017, 14:45
I must admit, I also like "show us what you look like" and I just love seeing pics of people's systems and especially their listening rooms. I also feel comfortable posting here. It's not acceptable here to insult or attack people just because they like something you don't, or vice versa. That's the way it should be everywhere but it nobody seems to have told some of the folk on other forums :)

Oh, and I also like the fact it's a place where artisans can come to, contribute their knowledge and also hopefully sell one or two very interesting bits of kit you can't find in the shops.

struth
18-12-2017, 15:11
The site has evolved over the years but its still basically AoS. A friendly group of nutters, and Marco is determined to keep it that way. The day it stops being that is the day I will leave

Scooby
18-12-2017, 15:16
You just prompted me to look and see how long AOS has been going. Opening post seems to be Jan 2008. I wonder if there's going to be a 10th Anniversary celebration? Might be a nice idea.

Firebottle
18-12-2017, 16:23
.... it's a place where artisans can come to, contribute their knowledge and also hopefully sell one or two very interesting bits of kit you can't find in the shops.

I like that :thumbsup:

I also like helping people where I have the knowledge to do so ............

Macca
18-12-2017, 16:47
You just prompted me to look and see how long AOS has been going. Opening post seems to be Jan 2008. I wonder if there's going to be a 10th Anniversary celebration? Might be a nice idea.

Drinks are on Marco...

dantheman91
18-12-2017, 20:06
Been here since 2009 and enjoyed every post bunch of very helpful enthusiastic guys i hope to be here for a good few more years yet - the one and only forum i have stuck with because the true sprite of the AOS everyone can like what they like , know what they know and is respected by all....:)

Anthony K
18-12-2017, 20:18
It's just lovely to read and see others hifi and opinions.
Some lovely vintage stuff on this site as well as knowledgable gents

Bigman80
18-12-2017, 20:31
10 year anniversary bash would be great. Imagine the sound system that could be put together !!!!!

I came here for help with an earth problem 3 years ago!

Great forum, great people and a genuine attitude to help. Why not be here?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

RobbieGong
18-12-2017, 21:26
I'm here because as a massive lover of music hifi naturally has always been a big part of that.

Found myself here in 2011 after a little go at some other forum I cant even remember, liked the vibe here from the off and have learned tons :eek:

Like Oliver I think some kind of get together / celebration of the forum would be a fantastic idea.

I'd be more than happy to pay for a ticket to some large venue and put some faces to the names :D

Barry
19-12-2017, 15:34
10 year anniversary bash would be great. Imagine the sound system that could be put together !!!!!

I came here for help with an earth problem 3 years ago!

Great forum, great people and a genuine attitude to help. Why not be here?

We have already missed the 10th anniversary, so perhaps we will have to wait for the 20th.

However we did have an informal get-together/bakeoff in Stoke on Trent (organised by Martin (macca) of this parish) about a year ago, which was a great success.

We (the Mods and Admin) have in the past given some thought to holding an AoS "show", but after much consideration abandoned the idea of a formal show. One of the problems was choosing a location and venue with suitably large rooms, sufficient parking and with good connections (i.e. close to a motorway) that was somewhere 'central' to be convenient to all Members and their guests. Not easy!

We would encourage members to arrange and organise their own local get-togethers and bake-offs, as has been done recently and reported on here.

Bigman80
19-12-2017, 15:37
We have already missed the 10th anniversary, so perhaps we will have to wait for the 20th.

However we did have an informal get-together/bakeoff in Stoke on Tent (organised by Martin (macca) of this parish) about a year ago, which was a great success.

We (the Mods and Admin) have in the past given some thought to holding an AoS "show", but after much consideration abandoned the idea of a formal show. One of the problems was choosing a location and venue with suitably large rooms, sufficient parking and with good connections (i.e. close to a motorway) that was somewhere 'central' to be convenient to all Members and their guests. Not easy!

We would encourage members to arrange and organise their own local get-togethers and bake-offs, as has been done recently and reported on here.That's a shame.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Firebottle
19-12-2017, 17:39
I really think another bake off in Stoke is required, it was very successful, a really good venue and was well attended.

:D

Macca
19-12-2017, 17:52
I was think of trying to arrange another one in the Spring. It's a good venue, plenty of parking, food and accommodation. The staff were a good bunch too.

TazSob
19-12-2017, 17:56
I joined here over a year ago because of my love of vintage gear, mostly speakers.
Was a huge Kef fan when I joined but now have an appreciation for a whole lot more thanks to the community here.
Learned much more than I could have anywhere else without the argumentative nature found on other forums and I've felt welcomed.

When I signed up I was trying to get back on my feet after spending the last decade getting used to living with arthritis, AOS not only helped me keep my mind busy but get me out and about again wanting to do other hobbies I've missed.

Want to thank all of those I've communicated with, whose posts I've read and learned invaluable information from and Marco for this forum.

Taz

Scooby
19-12-2017, 19:15

However we did have an informal get-together/bakeoff in Stoke on Trent (organised by Martin (macca) of this parish) about a year ago, which was a great success.

We would encourage members to arrange and organise their own local get-togethers and bake-offs, as has been done recently and reported on here.

So did nobody get Marco a cake? Or did he just keep it all to himself? :lol:

shane
19-12-2017, 19:15
Tried a lot of forums in the early days when I was getting back into hifi. Ended up mostly on WD then Audio Talk because of the DIY aspect, and I like that AT is such a small close-knit community, but also on here because rather unexpectedly there are still a few people out there using TT2s and this has become the go-to place.

southall-1998
20-12-2017, 14:53
I'm here because I feel like it. No more, no less.

S.

IHP
20-12-2017, 15:18
It was the AoS that put me onto Croft gear when at the time I simply hadn't heard of it/GC. The enthusiasm surrounding it motivated me to try it for myself and the 25/25R and 7 have formed part of my system since and not moved (though I may stick a Quad power amp in from time to time !). For this I am very grateful indeed. I don't post loads but do drop still drop in and see what's going on.

The AoS is a good place :)

hifistokie123
20-12-2017, 15:28
I am a newcomer here but as a bloke who lives just over the border in Cheshire ( and I mean JUST over) I think that is a great idea.
Where exactly is the "venue"

Macca
20-12-2017, 15:54
I am a newcomer here but as a bloke who lives just over the border in Cheshire ( and I mean JUST over) I think that is a great idea.
Where exactly is the "venue"

The Plough Motel: https://www.theploughmotel.co.uk/

Pigmy Pony
20-12-2017, 20:41
The Plough Motel: https://www.theploughmotel.co.uk/

Sign me up! I'll be there with me Norah Jones CD,,,

Lerxst
23-12-2017, 19:01

Look, normal forums have tenth anniversaries. We are already up to ten but we want to go one better right, that extra push over the cliff? How about an 11th anniversary? 11 is also one louder!

Firebottle
24-12-2017, 09:04
How about an 11th anniversary? 11 is also one louder!

Like it :D

Primalsea
24-12-2017, 09:53
Although I have come and gone over the years I have always found AOS to be one of the more relaxed forums with plenty of banter. Some forums end up being a cliche of a few self important people who just want to inforce their opinions as fact, but we don’t have this here.

Puffin
24-12-2017, 10:41
S'for A Donut (Anag) seems it was made for me:D

Marco
24-12-2017, 17:46
Thanks for your kind remarks and comments, folks, which are much appreciated. AoS would be nothing if it wasn't for your input!

With the upcoming 10th anniversary of AoS, the mods and I would like to thank all our members for their contributions, and wish them a very Merry Christmas and a Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year! :cool:

Let's continue both to make AoS one of the best and most popular hi-fi and music forums on the Internet, and have a wonderful time with all our friends, family and loved ones over this festive period. Have a good one, folks! :christmas::santa:

:partytime::champagne::mex::barrel::cheers:

Marco.

IHP
24-12-2017, 18:04
Back at you chap, and may I echo the sentiment to all here too :)

dave2010
24-12-2017, 23:53
Tonight - to wish Marco and everyone else around here a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Best wishes to everyone. Have a good one.

StanleyB
06-01-2018, 15:44
I asked myself what I get from my time spent online the other day.
To be, or not to be here. That's a good question...

Floyddroid
11-01-2018, 09:29
Without doubt the easiest forum to be part of. The only forum I feel truly at home posting on. Long may it reign.

Pigmy Pony
12-03-2018, 20:31
Although I have come and gone over the years I have always found AOS to be one of the more relaxed forums with plenty of banter. Some forums end up being a cliche of a few self important people who just want to inforce their opinions as fact, but we don’t have this here.

I'll second that Paul.

What I enjoy most is the banter that goes on in the 'abstract' part of the forum. The other members are very tolerant of my crap attempts at humour, and there is always something of interest being discussed.

I do however always keep up with the actual hifi threads, and even though my technical knowledge is next to non-existent, the other contributors never make me feel stupid. Even though my posts are usually just that. And every time I visit, I seem to learn something new.

Long may it continue!

YNWaN
12-03-2018, 20:55
I’m not much of a ‘team player’ but AoS is still one of the (very few) forums I still contribute to. Despite what some (a minority) may think I do think it does it’s best to be as inclusive as possible and the moderation is very well handled (never an easy job).