PDA

View Full Version : Hello: from Eddie: my audio journey

EJH357
14-12-2017, 15:31
I started my audiophile journey in the (very) early 70's, which was my early teens, with some sort of quadraphonic Toshiba thing and listening to Morton Subatnic (spelling??). It was not long before I was hanging out at Read & Read Stereo in downtown Charleston, South Carolina (USA). Before I was out of high school, I had a new ADVENT 300 (not what it speced, but what it made: 18 watts RMS 20-20K before it reached the rated distortion, a pair of Frazier Super Monte Carlo speakers (Jack Frazier, Texas; if I remember correctly: 1 watt gave 93 DB, 50-20K, recommended amplifier power was 30-50 watts RMS) and a Connoisseur BD2 turntable running a SHURE V15-III cartridge. It was plenty loud. In 1990 I bought a Denon 6 channel surround sound receiver system and added a pair of Dahlquist 905's, some Radio Shack Minimus 7's for the rear surrounds and a pair of 12' subs powered by a Radio Shack 250 watt PA AMP.
I normally reside (during the few weeks a year that I am there) in Saipan or Guam (about 130 miles apart).
Because I travel a lot in my work (I am on a ship around S. Korea right now) and basically, have been living on a ship for the last 20 years, my equipment has languished.
The Denon & the Radio Shack stuff are gone (except for the P.A. Amp). I restomodded the ADVENT 300 last year and got it a Magnum/Dynalab antenna, the Frazier' are in use at my mother's home in Charleston, along with one subwoofer. I sent my Dahlquists there were a flooding from hurricane Irma killed one of them. I also obtained 3 NAD 2200's (which I have restomodded), 2 APT/HOLMAN Preamplifiers (also restomodded [& a pair of these can be used to create quadraphonic sound]), a Behringer 2496 digital EQ, a pair of Pioneer TS-W3003D4 12' subs (for my sub cabinets) that go from -20-80HZ, an iDAC2 and a micro iUSB3.0 audio grade USB power supply for my Hi-Res digital files. All of which I sent from Guam, to Charleston.
When I do get back to Charleston to visit my mother for a month (hopefully next May/June) I will have to refurbish the Connoisseur and upgrade it's tonearm (or get something else),
figure out what to do about the Dahlquist, make some more mods on both the APT/Holman s and the NAD s. In two years I expect to retire & enjoy my audio gear. Everything is waiting for me in Charleston, SC.

struth
14-12-2017, 16:00
Hi Eddie. welcome to the forum. I had a Japanese Quadraphonic system when you myself. were quite good but there was little music for them

EJH357
14-12-2017, 22:31
Thank you! Yes, the Toshiba did not sound great (although better speakers helped) but it piqued my interest.

walpurgis
14-12-2017, 23:28
Hi Eddie. Welcome to AOS.

Sounds as though you've had fun with your Hi-Fi over the years. I expect there are members here who can give opinions on the Dalquists. It's a long time since I heard any. I liked what I heard though.

Feel free to join in the chat. There's a lot going on and everybody is friendly.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.