PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Valve Integrated

mikeyb
14-12-2017, 11:18
Anyone selling, I'm interested in what's out there before settling on my final amp.

I would like to try a WAD KT88 XL Integrated or similar, remote would be good too but not essential.

I'm due to have a home demo of a valve integrated amp this weekend but just wondered if anyone was selling a WAD or similar to go with my Tannoy Berkeleys, I go to 11 most days so need a bit of grunt too [emoji6]

Budget ....... Well, I'm not sure, let's just say nothing over £2000, but being Scottish I like to haggle [emoji23]

Open Door
14-12-2017, 13:55
Friend of mine has just bought a new tube amp and taking delivery today (100w) and is therefore selling his Jolida JD801BRC off cheap (he is keen to shift so offering a good price).

A nice looker of an amp in black.
Volume remote control.
The coupling caps have been upgraded to Dynamicap TRT.

He is wanting £600 plus post which is a cracking deal.

The amp comes with old stock pre and driver tubes (very decent heritage), and a matched quad of Genelex Gold Lion 6550’s cryo treated.

https://www.musicdirect.com/integrated-amp/jolida-jd801brc-integrated-tube-amplifier

lordmortlock
14-12-2017, 13:59
Lovely amp that Robert. Great price too, especially with the cryo’ed lions.

mikeyb
14-12-2017, 17:20
Not one that was on my radar but looks decent enough. I'll keep it in mind if nothing else turns up.

Bigman80
14-12-2017, 17:30
Don't be put off by the name, Jolida make credible products. The Jolida JD9 I have makes a wonderful sound.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

montesquieu
14-12-2017, 17:57
Just had a quick look on what's available ... This would leave you sufficient budget for a nice pre:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Woodside-Rennaissance-sta50-valve-amplifier-radford-revival-serviced/253234456969?hash=item3af5f32989:g:DWQAAOSwqfpZ0iY A

Also not integrated but this is my favourite of the Unison Research range (never liked any of their parallel single ended jobbies though the Preludio - one single ended pentode - was nice). There's a lovely matching pre for this too.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Unison-Research-P30K-Class-a-Valve-Power-Amplifier/202143216505?hash=item2f10acb379:g:d2AAAOSwTQtaLSR Q

This is an integrated that should do a decent job with Tannoys (and getting sensibly priced after the reduction):

http://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/fs-quad-ii-classic-integrated-amp-and-other-stuff.209319/

Also pretty decent (Paul Coupe had one of these for a while driving his RFC Canterburys):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Emille-KI-240-valve-integrated-amplifier-40-watts-el34/282714533946?hash=item41d319703a:g:iR0AAOSwWHlZna~ j

I would say look for something push pull, KT88 family (KT90, KT120, KT150) and in general you can't go far wrong for Tannoys.

EDIT - this might still be available

http://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/graaf-gm50b-mk-2.204495/#post-3167329

Also always had a hankering for one of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rogers-E20A-Valve-Tube-Audiophile-Stereo-Integrated-Amplifier-for-LS3-5a/132419486120?hash=item1ed4d101a8:g:k7sAAOSw1aVZzWe u

mikeyb
14-12-2017, 18:32
I must be on the right track as I have all of those amps in my watch list and also been keeping an eye on the PFM ones.

I'll pm you about another option [emoji6]

hifinutt
14-12-2017, 18:35
i heard the emille at paul coupes on the verity speakers and his raptor . lovely sound and good looking

also heard a unison research unico 90 recently and lovely build and sound

hifinutt
14-12-2017, 18:39
david at radlett has a pathos integrated at your price

http://www.radlettaudio.co.uk/bargain.html

lordmortlock
14-12-2017, 18:42
Haha ... was having a look though eeebs and some of the sales sites only to find that Tom has beaten me to it! Some very nice amps in his post, be aware that the UR is pretty deep, so measure before getting too interested.

Rosewind
14-12-2017, 23:38
A few months from now I will have a rebuilt Quad Classic II. John Westlake will be doing the rewiring and he will upgrade the components to better ones. I have asked him to add a pre in that will bypass the original pre. Price will be in your ballpark.

mikeyb
14-12-2017, 23:47
Not sure about Quad to be honest, I’ll do some more reading [emoji6]

AlanB
15-12-2017, 02:12
Haha ... was having a look though eeebs and some of the sales sites only to find that Tom has beaten me to it! Some very nice amps in his post, be aware that the UR is pretty deep, so measure before getting too interested.

The Unison Research Unico 90 - the very one Phil heard a short while ago - fits perfick on my HiFi Racks rack. I believe the OP is looking for a full valve amp whereas the UR is a hybrid using 2 x ECC83’s and 4 x ECC81’s. It is probably one of the nicest sounding amps I have heard....or of course it may be the synergy with Harbeth SHL5 Plus’.

lordmortlock
15-12-2017, 07:50
The Unison Research Unico 90 - the very one Phil heard a short while ago - fits perfick on my HiFi Racks rack. I believe the OP is looking for a full valve amp whereas the UR is a hybrid using 2 x ECC83’s and 4 x ECC81’s. It is probably one of the nicest sounding amps I have heard....or of course it may be the synergy with Harbeth SHL5 Plus’.

We’re talking about the P30k Alan, a valve power amp and, at nearly 50cm deep, larger than the average component.

DAVEDWACK
15-12-2017, 09:26
Not sure about Quad to be honest, I’ll do some more reading [emoji6]

Hi Mike,
What is it about Quad you aren’t sure about?
It’s looks perhaps? Fair enough there are better lookers out there.
The lack of remote control? Fair enough there isn’t one.
The lack of any digital inputs? Fair enough there isn’t any.
(I never was a very good salesman)

Will it drive your Tannoys to a decent level? Course it will.
Does it have a decent mm/mc phono stage? Course it does.
Does it look like it’s as new and fully boxed? Course it does.
Does it’s designer know his stuff? Course he does. (Tim de P)

That’s it then, shameless (on holiday) plug for my Quad Integrated over on pfm.

Cheers...Dave
p.s. Hope you’re enjoying the ZYX

mikeyb
15-12-2017, 09:40
Hi Mike,
What is it about Quad you aren’t sure about?
It’s looks perhaps? Fair enough there are better lookers out there.
The lack of remote control? Fair enough there isn’t one.
The lack of any digital inputs? Fair enough there isn’t any.
(I never was a very good salesman)

Will it drive your Tannoys to a decent level? Course it will.
Does it have a decent mm/mc phono stage? Course it does.
Does it look like it’s as new and fully boxed? Course it does.
Does it’s designer know his stuff? Course he does. (Tim de P)

That’s it then, shameless (on holiday) plug for my Quad Integrated over on pfm.

Cheers...Dave
p.s. Hope you’re enjoying the ZYXZyx is great thanks [emoji4]

I'll read up on the quads today and give it some thought.

Not sure whether to bother with the demo tomorrow in all honesty I can't see me buying it at full retail when you see the deals on offer for used gear.

Mind you the Amp I'm looking at did best an AR 75 [emoji6] ok I know it depends on who was listening and the music used.

Any one heard Primaluna 6 monoblocks, pair for sale on eBay at £1300, worth a look? Ok I'd need a pre as well but that would be easy enough [emoji848] [emoji23]

Edward
15-12-2017, 10:02
Mike

As Tom has already I also recommend you consider the Woodside STA50 amp (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Woodside-Rennaissance-sta50-valve-amplifier-radford-revival-serviced/25323445696). This is effectively a Radford circuit but done by John Widgery who use to work for Radford and who took over production of Radford stuff when Arthur Radford retired. At that time John was not able to use the Radford name. And this unit has been upgraded and checked over by Will Moores (at Radford Revival). This circuit is known to work very well with the Tannoy DCs (ask Tom and Adam). Given that the seller has had this unit in stock for a while perhaps he is open to a discussion on price? Of course you will need a pre but all in will be within your budget.

Had it not been for the fact I already have a Radford (as well as other amps) I would be chomping at the bits to get this Woodside and its known pedigree. (In fact years ago I nearly bought this model directly from John but I chickened out due to the then cost and my budget. I think I may still have the original Woodside literature that John sent me, but not 100% sure, need to check.)

AlanB
15-12-2017, 11:44
We’re talking about the P30k Alan, a valve power amp and, at nearly 50cm deep, larger than the average component.

Hi Jake ..hope you are well mate.
If you look at Phil’s post he was referring to his visit to me when he heard the Unico 90. Specifically the Unico 90 not the P30k.

Have a good Xmas.

Lawrence001
15-12-2017, 12:44
I can't help butting in sorry.

If you look at Tom's post he was referring to the P30k on ebay, which Jake was then commenting on.

montesquieu
15-12-2017, 13:10
Mike

As Tom has already I also recommend you consider the Woodside STA50 amp (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Woodside-Rennaissance-sta50-valve-amplifier-radford-revival-serviced/25323445696). This is effectively a Radford circuit but done by John Widgery who use to work for Radford and who took over production of Radford stuff when Arthur Radford retired. At that time John was not able to use the Radford name. And this unit has been upgraded and checked over by Will Moores (at Radford Revival). This circuit is known to work very well with the Tannoy DCs (ask Tom and Adam). Given that the seller has had this unit in stock for a while perhaps he is open to a discussion on price? Of course you will need a pre but all in will be within your budget.

Had it not been for the fact I already have a Radford (as well as other amps) I would be chomping at the bits to get this Woodside and its known pedigree. (In fact years ago I nearly bought this model directly from John but I chickened out due to the then cost and my budget. I think I may still have the original Woodside literature that John sent me, but not 100% sure, need to check.)

The Radford was also my top recommendation by email. In my view this is the best by a margin out of that list though of course not an integrated which is what was asked for.

You've been lying low Alan - hope all is good with you. Nice to see you here.

I think we are talking about two different conversations, the one I mentioned was the P30K.

Bourney
15-12-2017, 14:24
Deco have an EAR 869 in. Any use with tannoys?

mikeyb
15-12-2017, 14:31
Deco have an EAR 869 in. Any use with tannoys?Nah it's rubbish [emoji23]

As he zooms off to the Deco website....... [emoji4]

walpurgis
15-12-2017, 14:38
They also have an Icon Audio 40i SE KT88 at about a third of the price. That should drive Tannoys OK.

montesquieu
15-12-2017, 14:59
Nah it's rubbish [emoji23]

As he zooms off to the Deco website....... [emoji4]

No. The 869 is single ended. You really need push pull for 15in tannoys.

They also have an Icon Audio 40i SE KT88 at about a third of the price. That should drive Tannoys OK.

Agreed and can't argue with the price.

mikeyb
15-12-2017, 15:11
Thanks Tom, once I'd looked I discounted the 869 right away [emoji6]

msg1979
16-12-2017, 08:01
I got this one. Beautifully sounding
Orgonoswky trafos and audyn capacitors and more.
It replaced my Audio Note Meishu

2 x 35 watt pure class A

970GBP includes shipping

https://i.imgur.com/pD0xXeK.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/8mvKdaX.jpg

Firebottle
16-12-2017, 08:28
Certainly looks the part Sebastian :thumbsup:

msg1979
16-12-2017, 08:51
I have been using it with my
Peak Consult Jeanne D´arc, Peak Consult Diablos and Peak Consult incognito 20th
No problems at all - so Tannoy´s shouldnt be either :)

smangus
16-12-2017, 09:13
Looks very nice does William

mikeyb
16-12-2017, 10:03
Thanks for that one, not one I'm particularly interested in sorry.

Demo amp arrives in about an hour so I might not post much today ;-)

AlanB
16-12-2017, 12:25
The Radford was also my top recommendation by email. In my view this is the best by a margin out of that list though of course not an integrated which is what was asked for.

You've been lying low Alan - hope all is good with you. Nice to see you here.

I think we are talking about two different conversations, the one I mentioned was the P30K.

Hi Tom
Yes been lying low. Caring for my better half takes most of my time and brain power - such as it is. ��

It looks like there were two conversations going on simultaneously, or even better, at the same time.

It appears after all the heartaches and false alarms I have found my Nirvana. Unison Research Unico 90, Sonos with Mark Grant power cable into Naim Dac V via Nordost Silver Shadow or Wireworld Supernova 7 glass optical through Rega speaker cable into Harbeth HL5 Plus. Magical mate. Never been so contented. ��

lordmortlock
16-12-2017, 13:05
Hi Jake ..hope you are well mate.
If you look at Phil’s post he was referring to his visit to me when he heard the Unico 90. Specifically the Unico 90 not the P30k.

Have a good Xmas.

Really well thanks Alan, hope you are too. Quite a few changes here, married now with a baby due in April, Hifi might have to take a back seat for a bit!

Merry Christmas to you too sir. Hope you have a good one

mikeyb
23-12-2017, 07:47
Demo amp goes back this morning so I'm still looking for something in the meantime.

After the demo it would seem that I want/need something push/pull that outputs at least 40w.

msg1979
23-12-2017, 08:45
Look carefully.
90% of tube amps are not worth the money - when you compare the price to the sound.
That includes many of the "hyped" brands as matersound, audio note, unison and so on. There are lots of amps out there that are way to pricy. Most of the "hyped" brands do though have amps - mostly older models - that are worth the money.
Tube amps has - like all other hifi - become a quantity piece, not a quality piece - and the concept of high end has changed so people now think that mid end sound is actually high end sound.

mikeyb
23-12-2017, 08:47
Look carefully.
90% of tube amps are not worth the money - when you compare the price to the sound.
That includes many of the "hyped" brands as matersound, audio note, unison and so on. There are lots of amps out there that are way to pricy. Most of the "hyped" brands do though have amps - mostly older models - that are worth the money.
Tube amps has - like all other hifi - become a quantity piece, not a quality piece - and the concept of high end has changed so people now think that mid end sound is actually high end sound.No worries, I won't be buying without fully researching it [emoji6]

msg1979
23-12-2017, 08:56
Only thing that can do is you own ears ;)

Most hifi ppl have read about something and think they know it all and give answers as they have know it all ;)
Most hif ppl havent heard a real high end setup where the torgue on the screws holding the cartridge do effect the sound ;)
Dealers are the ppl who hype mid end product to high end products ;)
Reviewers - many are corrupt ;)

If you want to do real research you need to know ppl who can look at the inside and tell you what they see and ppl that have been listenig and repairing for lifetimes. Thats the ppl with typical ages 50-60+. We have some gurus here in Denmark. I use them my self - and until now they havent been wrong in both ways. That spares alot of time buying, trying, selling, buying, trying and selling

1. step in research is to get a picture of the schematic and a picture of the inside ;) Next step is to get a guru to look at it. Last step is to listen for you self and make own opinion.
A reading review step can be added - but that dont tell anything about the quality and sound of the amplifier. That can only give a small hint.

oneills
23-12-2017, 09:28
Dont know if this would be of interest to you but it is a bit of a bargain

Definitive is selling their ex dem Trafomatic SM300B for ££1900 but I'm sure you could haggle.

Cycleallday
23-12-2017, 09:46
No worries, I won't be buying without fully researching it [emoji6]

This seems to be still available at a great price from Dave - could be worth some research ?

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?49854-Pathos-Logos-II-with-Hi-DAC-upgrade-for-sale

Firebottle
23-12-2017, 10:27
Built in DAC, remote as well, oodles of power, what's not to like.

mikeyb
23-12-2017, 10:49
Built in DAC, remote as well, oodles of power, what's not to like.The sound ?

Not heard it but most I've read about it don't really rate it. I've dropped off the demo amp and I'm waiting on a deal being offered for something slightly different [emoji23]

montesquieu
23-12-2017, 11:43
Dont know if this would be of interest to you but it is a bit of a bargain

Definitive is selling their ex dem Trafomatic SM300B for ££1900 but I'm sure you could haggle.

Possibly good with Monitor Golds (would depend on the output impedance) which can get away with 20w. Would struggle with the 15in HPDs.

mikeyb
23-12-2017, 13:34
Built in DAC, remote as well, oodles of power, what's not to like.Jerry didn't rate one when he tried it and I trust his judgement.

mikeyb
23-12-2017, 13:34
Possibly good with Monitor Golds (would depend on the output impedance) which can get away with 20w. Would struggle with the 15in HPDs.Yeah I did check that one out but again discounted it.

Firebottle
23-12-2017, 14:41
Jerry didn't rate one when he tried it and I trust his judgement.

Fair play and no criticism of your stance, it sounds a pity that evidently Pathos don't use circuitry similar to my hybrid power amp :rolleyes:

montesquieu
23-12-2017, 14:52
Fair play and no criticism of your stance, it sounds a pity that evidently Pathos don't use circuitry similar to my hybrid power amp :rolleyes:

At the risk of going OT, what would you say makes a hyrbid amp work vs one that doesn't? My (albeit limited) experience with them suggests that more often than not they fail to gel in some important aspect or other (the tube often muddying the sound but failing to mollify the less desirable aspects of solid state power devices), being far from the win-win they are often presented as.

Radford famously of course went the other way to today's hybrid orthodoxy and had JFETs on the input with KT88s on the output, (http://www.radfordrevival.co.uk/literature/tt100/)something that to me intuitively I would expect to work rather better than the more usual mixed configuration, since it's power transistors that are usually the most problematic.

http://img.canuckaudiomart.com/uploads/large/1031174-radford-tt100-power-amp.jpg

Firebottle
24-12-2017, 08:11
Going hybrid for me is taking the best from either technology, however one could think of a Mosfet as a solid state valve with the great benefit of offering low impedance.

The valve driver stage is assisted by SS to work in as linear a configuration as possible whilst the output Mosfets are in effect just a low distortion power buffer.