PDA

View Full Version : Stupidly expensive but TOTALLY worth it!!

twelvebears
23-02-2010, 19:07
OK, so I'm a bit of a Depeche Mode fan. I mean I have to be, it was the album Black Celebration that initiated the purchase of my first CD player with paper-round money, but I've just gone a bit bonkers as a result of my recent addition of a Sony SCD-777ES....

Basically, all the Mode albums apart from the most recent were remastered and reissued as limited edition SACDs + DVD editions.

I've gone and bought the lot. :mental:

I don't wish to discuss how much one in particular cost, but I'm justifying it to myself that the AVERAGE cost was only... erm, well, about £40.....

Ah what the hell, you can't get them any more and now they're MINE!! :eek:

Have just been having a good listen and they sound spanking!

Spectral Morn
23-02-2010, 19:18
Hi Steve

And why not?

The Sony is an excellent player, it and the SCD1 have the most silent playback drives of any Cd/Sacd player ever imho. Put your ear to the lid....the sound of silence...nothing.

I had one (not modified) and loved it on SACD, but on CD it was okay, but not great....good transport though. I swapped it with a friend, and I would love it back, but he has lent it to a friend. However the massive size means that I can't really find anywhere to put it..so I haven't pursued getting it back.

Enjoy it, its a unique item and the lid opening and closing is almost a sad enough reason to have one.

Regards D S D L

Themis
23-02-2010, 22:59
A good buy, Steve. Congrats, mate ! ;)

UV101
23-02-2010, 23:06
Hi Steve, should have said when you were here yesterday....

You intereted in any DM coloured vinyl maxi singles??? I have several that I can dig out if you are! I think 1 is a 12" of Master and Servant not sure what the others are.

Awesome band live BTW (as we both know!) PIMF into behind the wheel with those 2 snare bangs at the start!!!:smoking:

Alex_UK
23-02-2010, 23:20
You are a lucky man! Love em - their early stuff is some of my favourite music, tons of their vinyl, 7" mainly, and some CD, but keep eyeing up the SACDs... enjoy!

Rare Bird
23-02-2010, 23:23
Hand me the kleenex quick. Ahhhhh too late

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a222/LIVING-SIN/SCD-1.jpg

Rare Bird
23-02-2010, 23:25
Hi Steve

And why not?

The Sony is an excellent player, it and the SCD1 have the most silent playback drives of any Cd/Sacd player ever imho. Put your ear to the lid....the sound of silence...nothing.

Sony rock neil, i only have a cheap arse 930 & the drawer & mech on that is totally silky smoothe

Marco
23-02-2010, 23:32
Well done, matey - a very good way to make up for the X-777ES debacle! :mex:

Enjoy! :cool:

Marco.

twelvebears
24-02-2010, 07:36
You are a lucky man! Love em - their early stuff is some of my favourite music, tons of their vinyl, 7" mainly, and some CD, but keep eyeing up the SACDs... enjoy!

Thanks folks! :cool:

Alex.

If you're thinking about it, I'd defo recommend the SACDs. Only two have arrived so far (only ordered them Monday); Music For the Masses and Violator, but both are beautifully produced and definately better than the already great CD versions.

I'd say have a hunt around an get them if you can. Only word of warning is that my two favorite albums, Violator and Black Celebration are the pricey ones, particularly the latter, which of course is the one I HAD to have!

Ian.

You need to make a trip over and have a listen!

twelvebears
24-02-2010, 07:39
Hi Steve, should have said when you were here yesterday....

You intereted in any DM coloured vinyl maxi singles??? I have several that I can dig out if you are! I think 1 is a 12" of Master and Servant not sure what the others are.

Awesome band live BTW (as we both know!) PIMF into behind the wheel with those 2 snare bangs at the start!!!:smoking:

I did but I think you were distracted with making the coffee!

Would defo be interested in any DM vinyl, especially 12" singles, I've only got a few.

As for PIMF into Behind the Wheel, can't wait for the 101 SACD to arrive!

DSJR
24-02-2010, 07:45
Love DM - enjoy your purchase...

The Grand Wazoo
24-02-2010, 07:54
Steve,
They're not really my cuppa tea, but seeing as you're a committed fan, I think you ought to own at least one of these. They'll certainly end up in the stupidly expensive but worth it category for their future owners, I'm sure:

http://www.depechemode.com/

.....and there's a charity involved!

Peter Galbavy
24-02-2010, 12:00
Violator reissue is rare on SACD ?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Violator-CD-DVD-Depeche-Mode/dp/B001O5EH5O/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1267012563&sr=8-13

@ £11.38 shipped via Amazon themselves...

OK, they also have a seperate listing for £110 odd, but that's just silly. And Black Celebration T £160 odd.

Agreed, they are excellent albums on SACD :)

They also list Black Celebration @ £11.48 as the "remastered with DVD" but do not make it clear (actually on either) that the CD is an SACD. I am sure on Violator listing that it is, but Black Celebration I am not so sure. I ordered it anyway, since I appear to have missed it (I have almost all the others, but some of the mid-era ones I never really got into, just early and later stuff).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Celebration-Remastered-Depeche-Mode/dp/B001O5EH3G/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1267012690&sr=8-17

twelvebears
24-02-2010, 12:18
Violator reissue is rare on SACD ?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Violator-CD-DVD-Depeche-Mode/dp/B001O5EH5O/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1267012563&sr=8-13

@ £11.38 shipped via Amazon themselves...

OK, they also have a seperate listing for £110 odd, but that's just silly. And Black Celebration T £160 odd.

Agreed, they are excellent albums on SACD :)

They also list Black Celebration @ £11.48 as the "remastered with DVD" but do not make it clear (actually on either) that the CD is an SACD. I am sure on Violator listing that it is, but Black Celebration I am not so sure. I ordered it anyway, since I appear to have missed it (I have almost all the others, but some of the mid-era ones I never really got into, just early and later stuff).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Celebration-Remastered-Depeche-Mode/dp/B001O5EH3G/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1267012690&sr=8-17

OMG!! Peter, how sure are you about this? As far as I was aware, the SACD versions went out of production long ago. If you're correct however, I can just return the ones I've bought for a refund....

Peter Galbavy
24-02-2010, 12:25
At £11.50 it's worth a punt anyway ? Amazon descriptions are poor but I am not aware of "normal" CD + DVD editions. Not that I study the discography that much.

Like I said, I have ordered the Black Celebration and if you want to risk waiting I can let you know when it arrives later this week. Failing that, just order them and use Amazon's return policy (distance selling regs, 7 days etc.) if they are not.

Peter Galbavy
24-02-2010, 12:28
A quick look shows me this:

http://remasters.depechemode.com/05_blackcelebration.html

The European release is SACD + DVD, the US one appears to be CD + DVD only.

The GOOD news is that you appear to be able to purchase the guaranteed SACD version direct from Mute. Link on page above.

twelvebears
24-02-2010, 12:49

The GOOD news is that you appear to be able to purchase the guaranteed SACD version direct from Mute. Link on page above.

Good grief!!! Right, I think I'll order one today from Amazon and see what turns up.

If you're right Peter I owe you several beers!!

twelvebears
24-02-2010, 13:14

Don't know whether to be happy, angry or a bit of both!! :steam:

I've sent an e-mail to Mute to ask them, it's possible of course that they stopped pressing the CD/SACD versions a while back and that the current ones are just a standard CD + DVD. On the other hand.....

Thank God for Amazon Prime!! Am just going to order all the CD+DVD editions today, see what arrives tomorrow and just return whatever's not SACD.

Peter Galbavy
24-02-2010, 13:30
I though "sod it" cause I know what Depeche Mode are like on their catalogue and ordered all the other "remaster + dvd" editions from Amazon - I have about 6 and, including BC, I have ordered another 5 I think.

We shall see what turns up. On the other hand, I did a little more Amazonian detective work using Violator (my personal favorite and the first reissue I bought when released in 2006) and if you follow the link from the Depeche Mode remasters site to Amazon US for the non SACD releases, then use the ASIN on the UK Amazon site you get a £26.99 "DTS" edition - which is NOT the same as the one they list as CD+DVD and given the price and the fact that it's shipped by Amazon it is 99.99% likely to be the official UK edition and hence SACD.

All this fuss because the largest online retailer in the UK can't get it's stock descriptions right.

PS I have a copy of the SACD of Thriller that I got a few years ago on a classified for £5. Now it genuinely appears to be worth > £200 - result!

twelvebears
24-02-2010, 13:55
I though "sod it" cause I know what Depeche Mode are like on their catalogue and ordered all the other "remaster + dvd" editions from Amazon - I have about 6 and, including BC, I have ordered another 5 I think.

We shall see what turns up. On the other hand, I did a little more Amazonian detective work using Violator (my personal favorite and the first reissue I bought when released in 2006) and if you follow the link from the Depeche Mode remasters site to Amazon US for the non SACD releases, then use the ASIN on the UK Amazon site you get a £26.99 "DTS" edition - which is NOT the same as the one they list as CD+DVD and given the price and the fact that it's shipped by Amazon it is 99.99% likely to be the official UK edition and hence SACD.

All this fuss because the largest online retailer in the UK can't get it's stock descriptions right.

PS I have a copy of the SACD of Thriller that I got a few years ago on a classified for £5. Now it genuinely appears to be worth > £200 - result!

Well I've just blind-ordered all the CD+DVD versions from Amazon for albums I paid...erm, well let's just say 'a lot' for and will see what arrives tomorrow and hopefully start hitting that RETURN ITEM button!

IF they do end up being SACD versions in disguise, then you will have just saved me £280!!!

To Further complicate matters, I notice that on Mute's own website, they do list a couple of albums specifically as SACD/CD + DVD but most as CD + DVD, so that doesn't really help very much......

twelvebears
24-02-2010, 18:36
First a MASSIVE thank-you to Peter who has just saved me a MASSIVE amount of money!!!!

Basically thanks to Peter's intervention and observation, combined with confirmation from three albums which arrived which I DIDN'T pay a shit-load for, I can confirm for anyone who's interested, that Depeche Mode CD + DVD Special/Collectors Editions/Remasters being sold by Amazon as CDs ARE IN-FACT HYBRID CD/SACDS!!!!!

This means that the SACD versions of Construction Time, Faith And Devotion, Violator and in particular Black Celebration, are not in fact as rare as rocking horse shit, and will therefore be returned to their piss-taking sellers for refund!

Peter, you are a star and I owe you many beers! :cool:

Alex_UK
24-02-2010, 20:12
must... not... give... in... :)

webby
24-02-2010, 23:09
So pleased for you Steve, and well done Peter. You know Steve, I thought an average of £40 was a bit steep and I was gonna look into it but didn't find the time. I did have a nagging suspicion that they were hybrid SACD though.

Enjoy the Music!!

webby
24-02-2010, 23:15
Quick look at Amazon reveals that Violator is correctly described, but the others are not.

Alex_UK
24-02-2010, 23:50
must... not... give... in... :)

Ok then just a couple... :eyebrows:

I can give up any time... just got a cold today...

twelvebears
25-02-2010, 06:39
Ok then just a couple... :eyebrows:

I can give up any time... just got a cold today...

Why not Alex, for a 'normal' price it'd be rude not to!

Have sent 'Angry of Hemel Hempstead' e-mails to both Amazon AND Mute Records....

All praise Peter and the Distance Selling Act!!

Peter Galbavy
25-02-2010, 09:19
You're welcome.

But all should note that I do recall from another forum and on looking at Mute's website that the US releases are not hybrid SACDs, so be careful in the "used" marketplaces.

twelvebears
25-02-2010, 09:39
You're welcome.

But all should note that I do recall from another forum and on looking at Mute's website that the US releases are not hybrid SACDs, so be careful in the "used" marketplaces.

Good tip but fortunately the 5 I've reordered ar all new UK ones from Amazon. ;)

twelvebears
25-02-2010, 18:09
Unfortunately, the hoped for SACD bargains are not.

The 5 that reordered in the hope they were still SACDS but wrongly listed arrived today, and unless ANY mention of SACD was accidentally missed off the box (unlikely as it hasn't been on the ones that are SACD), they are just normal CDs with a bonus DVD.

So assuming the expensive ones that arrive are actually SACD as described, it looks like they are out of production and paying shed-loads as I did is the only way to get hold of some of the popular ones....

Bugger. :doh:

Peter Galbavy
26-02-2010, 18:06
Yeah, real shame. I just got my 4 and only "A Broken Frame" is SACD, and is listed as such on amazon. I'll probably keep the other three since for streaming surround I rip the DTS tracks off the DVD anyway :D

Alex_UK
26-02-2010, 20:30
Glad I only bought 2 then! Still, looking forward to the remastered and DVD versions anyway.

Alex_UK
11-03-2010, 21:49
Well, I had Construction Time Again and Black Celebration as my starter for 10 (well, £10,99 each, but there you go) and I've totally loved the CD remasters - yet to play around with the DVDs, but enough to buy Violator and Speak & Spell - Violator being a fave album of all time, and one I already had on normal CD, as well as Cassette, (for some reason as I bought very few original cassettes, because they were pants compared to vinyl (*discuss* ahem! ;))) - well, it may not be SACD, but they are stunning - this is only going to end one way... if the CDs are this good... Actrually, no - I think I will stick with collecting the remastered "Collectors" editions, and totally loving rediscovering these great albums, cheers Steve!

Alex_UK
25-03-2010, 11:49
Mr Twelvebears, Mr Mastercard would like a word with you... ;)

http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu259/Alex_Steel1969/hifi/IMG_2537_1.jpg (http://s653.photobucket.com/albums/uu259/Alex_Steel1969/hifi/?action=view&current=IMG_2537_1.jpg)

Collection complete, all the available Re-masters, the 2 live albums, and special (Hybrid + DVD) Playing the Angel and limited CD + DVD of Sounds of the Universe. Happy Days!

Spectral Morn
25-03-2010, 12:06

http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu259/Alex_Steel1969/hifi/IMG_2537_1.jpg (http://s653.photobucket.com/albums/uu259/Alex_Steel1969/hifi/?action=view&current=IMG_2537_1.jpg)

Collection complete, all the available Re-masters, the 2 live albums, and special (Hybrid + DVD) Playing the Angel and limited CD + DVD of Sounds of the Universe. Happy Days!

For most joining AOS is an enriching ;) experience...sadly for you it seems to be having the other effect...making you poorer :(:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I saw these a few years ago, on vinyl and SACD, and I thought about buying some, but I didn't....oh well. Not sure if I really liked them anyway. I was more of a Tear Drop Explodes, Ultravox, Heaven 17, OMD kind of guy back then....with lots of other less electronic music as well....HawkWind, Gong, Saga etc, etc ........

Regards D S D L

twelvebears
25-03-2010, 12:27

Excellent! Gotta love The Mode! :)

Alex_UK
25-03-2010, 23:44
For most joining AOS is an enriching ;) experience...sadly for you it seems to be having the other effect...making you poorer :(:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Ain't that the truth! I thought I'd end up spending thousands on kit, but I've just spent it on music instead! Maybe that is the way it should be...

I was more of a Tear Drop Explodes, Ultravox, Heaven 17, OMD kind of guy back then...

Me too - OMD especially, I'm off to Amazon... :eyebrows:

Stratmangler
25-03-2010, 23:48
I thought I'd end up spending thousands on kit, but I've just spent it on music instead! Maybe that is the way it should be...

Best way to be Alex, best way to be.

Reid Malenfant
09-01-2012, 19:20
You really shouldn't have just linked to this thread Alex :eyebrows:

I have a couple of the Depeche Mode SACDs, but I'm just wondering how many of you have only heard the stereo SACD tracks :scratch: Only reason I ask is because the 5.1 versions (I listen with it downmixed to 4.0 right now) would probably give you a heart attack :rfl:

They are simply out of this world, & while the stereo tracks do indeed sound vastly better than the CD versions, there oddly appears to be another step up again with the multichannel versions :eek:

I'm just glad I'm not the only person who has payed loadsa money for certain silver discs :D

Spur07
12-01-2012, 11:05
I love Depeche Mode, the albums around the 'Ultra' period are amongst some of the finest I've heard. You can really track their development to reach a point where their sound is quite unique.

I recently stumbled upon the 'singles 81 - 85' album on vinyl in a thrift store. The SQ is amazing - it absolutely rocks on my TT. You realize just how good their early work was.