PDA

View Full Version : the zeta is here!

karma67
12-12-2017, 18:25
arrived today from the states,very excited to try it at the weekend,its in mint condition too :)

https://s26.postimg.cc/5j5f7cxop/IMG_1838.jpg

walpurgis
12-12-2017, 18:29
Between you and Oliver, you're keeping the whole of the used Hi-Fi market afloat! :D

paulf-2007
12-12-2017, 18:33
Give us a clue what it is

karma67
12-12-2017, 18:33
well it is christmas! lol
have you heard one before geoff?

karma67
12-12-2017, 18:34
Give us a clue what it is

the names on the box :)

walpurgis
12-12-2017, 18:40
have you heard one before geoff?

Many times. A mate had one on a Roksan Xerxes and it sound wicked with Koetsu MC's.

My money is on an HR-100S being up for sale shortly! :)

karma67
12-12-2017, 18:43
you never know...
sounds like im in for a treat then,its also been re-wired with cardas Incognito the same as the alphason.

Bigman80
12-12-2017, 19:04
Between you and Oliver, you're keeping the whole of the used Hi-Fi market afloat! :D🤣🤣🤣

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

paulf-2007
12-12-2017, 19:37
Ok it's a tone arm, now I can see the pic on the box. Anything special?

Barry
12-12-2017, 19:53
Given the choice, I would go for the Zeta everytime. One of the best tonearms ever made (and Zeta used a Decca cartridge during its development).

karma67
12-12-2017, 20:03
oooh great,ive read a few tonearms were developed using a decca,why do you think that was?

Barry
12-12-2017, 20:12
Only hazarding a guess here, but Deccas, having a pitifully low compliance, can put a lot of excess energy into the tonearm. I assume Zeta were not satisfied with the 'compliant' red-plastic mounting bracket Decca uses, which is why they developed the GB mounting block/cradle for the Decca, and it was that combination that was used during the development of the arm.

walpurgis
12-12-2017, 20:14
I was wondering if it may have been because of the Decca's flat response (apart from very high frequencies).

YNWaN
12-12-2017, 22:20
If you are into your valve amps then a Decca is very appealing because it puts out a healthy MM type of output which means you don't need a pesky MC amp or transformer.

bigmoog
13-12-2017, 10:32
Only hazarding a guess here, but Deccas, having a pitifully low compliance, can put a lot of excess energy into the tonearm. I assume Zeta were not satisfied with the 'compliant' red-plastic mounting bracket Decca uses, which is why they developed the GB mounting block/cradle for the Decca, and it was that combination that was used during the development of the arm.

This is true. Michael Gray -the Zeta designer (at GB tools - now defunct) was/is a decca fan .. The zeta was developed using Deccas and the GB clamp was Michael's design as well.....He went on to design and manufacture the Mission Mechanic tonearm (223 were made along with one or two special editions)

I know this as Mick is a personal friend of mine and I followed the whole Zeta/MM saga . Sadly, Mick's ill health has curtailed any further Hifi activity.

YNWaN
13-12-2017, 12:14
I'm very sorry to hear of Michael Gray's poor health :(. I have seen pictures of a turntable and arm combo he developed that is so massively over engineered it makes the Zeta arm look like a play thing :).

bigmoog
13-12-2017, 12:42
I'm very sorry to hear of Michael Gray's poor health :(. I have seen pictures of a turntable and arm combo he developed that is so massively over engineered it makes the Zeta arm look like a play thing :).

Back when the Mechanic Arm was a Mission 'product', Mick developed a high mass turntable using two motors and weighing 100kg ( a bit like an Acoustic Solid/Signature)...Mission weren't really bothered with analogue at the time so the project died along with the end of Mechanic tonearm production in 1989. In the years before illness Mick continued to realise his HIfi dreams, occasionally building mechanic arms and building an ultimate TT and arm.... his thing is ‘Mass’ …and ‘engineering’ (he is a tool maker by trade)….he builds his own cameras these days…..and has a very nice hifi !

PS He is amazed that the Zeta is still popular and sought after ( ' Great arm - no need to upgrade it ' ) .

cheers

:)

shane
13-12-2017, 13:58
This is true. Michael Gray -the Zeta designer (at GB tools - now defunct) was/is a decca fan .. The zeta was developed using Deccas and the GB clamp was Michael's design as well.....He went on to design and manufacture the Mission Mechanic tonearm (223 were made along with one or two special editions)

I know this as Mick is a personal friend of mine and I followed the whole Zeta/MM saga . Sadly, Mick's ill health has curtailed any further Hifi activity.

Some time in the late 80s or early 90s Heybrook produced an arm that was reputedly made by G B Tools. Do you know anything about it?

bigmoog
13-12-2017, 14:09
Some time in the late 80s or early 90s Heybrook produced an arm that was reputedly made by G B Tools. Do you know anything about it?

Like many tool makers and engineering shops, GB did do some Audio contract work -but not sure about the heybrook arm though although Its possible. Im seeing Mick at the weekend so will ask him.

Incidentally the inspiration for the Zeta was the Breuer dynamic as well as the need to build an arm to do justice to Decca's !

shane
13-12-2017, 14:27
Thanks, I’d appreciate that! I’d especially like to know roughly how many were made, and if it was designed specifically for Heybrook or just a variant of the Zeta.

karma67
13-12-2017, 16:48
Im seeing Mick at the weekend so will ask him.

Incidentally the inspiration for the Zeta was the Breuer dynamic as well as the need to build an arm to do justice to Decca's !

when you see him you can thank him for me for design such a lovely,'means business' looking arm!
show him this thread as i will be posting my thoughts and photos of it on my rock 2.
cheers :)

Barry
13-12-2017, 16:57
Like many tool makers and engineering shops, GB did do some Audio contract work -but not sure about the heybrook arm though although Its possible. Im seeing Mick at the weekend so will ask him.

I didn't know that - I have a Breuer Dynamic arm (the Type 5A), and I have often thought about fitting a Decca cartridge to it, though I don't think it would be possible to use the GB mounting block with the Breuer.

Herr Breuer's designs were the inspiration for other arms: Tom Fletcher's 'Sumiko "The Arm"' is one example, and possibly the Linn 'Ittok' as well.

bigmoog
14-12-2017, 07:16
when you see him you can thank him for me for design such a lovely,'means business' looking arm!
show him this thread as i will be posting my thoughts and photos of it on my rock 2.
cheers :)

I will do. The zeta is one of the greatest tonearms - its form is still being copied today - testament to its fundamental quality :)

bigmoog
14-12-2017, 07:17
I didn't know that - I have a Breuer Dynamic arm (the Type 5A), and I have often thought about fitting a Decca cartridge to it, though I don't think it would be possible to use the GB mounting block with the Breuer.

Herr Breuer's designs were the inspiration for other arms: Tom Fletcher's 'Sumiko "The Arm"' is one example, and possibly the Linn 'Ittok' as well.

Mick admired the sensible quality engineering of the breuer - as for using the GB clamp in one - probably not as it may not fit the head shell....

bigmoog
14-12-2017, 09:30
interestingly, the original Zeta prototypes were developed and listened to using an LP12 -Mick discarded this (he gave it to his daughter -who still uses it...) when he realised the Sondek wasnt up to the task! other equipment used in the arms development were a big 70s pioneer amp, a prototype mission 777 power amp, various valve amps and a ARC Sp8, also japanese direct drives (a luxman PD555 was involved) and lots of colleagues ears...every change to the bearings,bearing yoke, type of aluminum used, the finger lift etc all carefully listened to using mostly heavy rock music and prog rock - especially Gentle Giant and Tull!!

the lessons learned from the Zeta, informed the design and manufacture of the Mission Mechanic -ie entirely machined HE30 aluminum from one billet - smaller bearing yoke, no finger lift on headshell etc

karma67
14-12-2017, 17:59
bugger! put the zeta on and im down on the right channel,getting full continuity through tags to tonearm plugs so that leaves the cartridge at fault yes?

karma67
14-12-2017, 18:12
swap the plugs over and the problem switches channel.

CageyH
14-12-2017, 18:13
That, or the other end of the chain.

Sounds like a fault with the Zeta then.

karma67
14-12-2017, 18:21
really? even with continuity from the tags to the phono plugs?

walpurgis
14-12-2017, 18:22
Try another cartridge?

CageyH
14-12-2017, 18:26
really? even with continuity from the tags to the phono plugs?

Probably not. Sounds more like the cartridge is an issue, Is it your Decca?

karma67
14-12-2017, 18:27
yes

karma67
14-12-2017, 18:29
Try another cartridge?

i dont have one geoff, they must be very fragile inside,all ive done is take it off one arm and onto another!

hifi_dave
14-12-2017, 18:29
That's the problem with Deccas - you never know when they're going to fail.

If you are using the red plastic contact block, check that out.

hifi_dave
14-12-2017, 18:33

Far as I am aware, the Breuer has nothing in common with Tom Fletcher's arms, which were all unipivots..:scratch:

I have an unused Sumiko 'The Arm', going on E-Bay in the Spring.

karma67
14-12-2017, 18:33
That's the problem with Deccas - you never know when they're going to fail.

If you are using the red plastic contact block, check that out.

its been rebuilt about a month ago,but yes the coils obviously are still old so a possibility.its a mk4 so no red block.

struth
14-12-2017, 18:49
Put the old arm back and try. Could be a prob with the Zeta

CageyH
14-12-2017, 18:50
Have you checked the zeta wiring for a short circuit on one channel?

shane
14-12-2017, 18:52
Swap L & R cartridge connectors. If the problem changes channel it’s the Decca, if it doesn’t, it isn’t.

karma67
14-12-2017, 19:09
i may have found the issue,i was get continuity from the red tag too the tonearm cable earth,ive pulled out the tonearm wire plug and the pillar and had a look,couldn't see anything obvious,put it back and im not getting continuity now,so perhaps it was shorting out?

struth
14-12-2017, 19:17
Have you checked the zeta wiring for a short circuit on one channel?

What I was thinking

karma67
14-12-2017, 19:40
it must have been shorting,back on 2 channels now,phew :)

walpurgis
14-12-2017, 20:28
it must have been shorting,back on 2 channels now,phew :)

Any hair and fingernails left Jamie? :D

Anyway. How's it sounding?

karma67
14-12-2017, 20:40
ive not set it up properly geoff,im just pleased its back to 2 channels,its humming more than the alphason although ive fixed that as well by connecting an earth from the amp to one of the radiator pipes behind my rack.
i will spend some time on set up tomorrow as im off work with a cold at the moment.
im not sure what the wiring is on the zeta,its supposed to be cardas incognito but it doesn't look like the incognito on the alphason.

karma67
14-12-2017, 20:41
Any hair and fingernails left Jamie? :D

Anyway. How's it sounding?

no hair to start with! :lol:

Barry
15-12-2017, 19:50
Far as I am aware, the Breuer has nothing in common with Tom Fletcher's arms, which were all unipivots..:scratch:

I have an unused Sumiko 'The Arm', going on E-Bay in the Spring.

Really? https://www.vinylengine.com/library/sumiko/mdc-800-the-arm.shtml

karma67
16-12-2017, 10:05
here's some photo's after setting it up properly yesterday.
there's no 'night and day' difference over the hr100 but then i new there wouldn't be,both highly regarded arms.
the zeta feels and looks like its been very well engineered,solid looking stance and up for a fight!

the bias setting is like a breath of fresh air compared to the hr100's string and weight method,the zeta uses a small dial to adjust bias,balancing the arm in the centre of the platter small increments anti or clockwise has the arm moving to the left or to the right,try doing that with the alphason!

both arms handle the decca c4e,i have a gut feeling the zeta is better suited though being 5g heavier than the hr100.
once the longer cartridge bolts arrive i'll stick the rock paddle back on,the extra weight moves the counter weight further outwards,i might make up some heavier counter weight plates in brass to bring it closer in.

all in all im very happy with my purchase :)

https://s26.postimg.org/99ot5chvt/IMG_1845.jpg

https://s26.postimg.org/fonu20oll/IMG_1846.jpg

https://s26.postimg.org/n5x1h8e4p/IMG_1847.jpg

https://s26.postimg.org/4rmid91u1/IMG_1848.jpg

https://s26.postimg.org/eq7gzqb9l/IMG_1850.jpg

Bigman80
16-12-2017, 10:44
Looks beautiful mate. Matches the Rock superbly.

walpurgis
16-12-2017, 10:50
Looks good with the Decca too.

hifi_dave
16-12-2017, 12:18
Really? https://www.vinylengine.com/library/sumiko/mdc-800-the-arm.shtml

Yes, I am familiar with Breuer and Sumiko The Arm as I sold both back in the day. I also sold Tom Fletcher's arms from the late 70s and these were all unipivots, as they still are.

Barry
16-12-2017, 14:26
Yes, I am familiar with Breuer and Sumiko The Arm as I sold both back in the day. I also sold Tom Fletcher's arms from the late 70s and these were all unipivots, as they still are.

Oops - I cited the wrong Fletcher! :o It was Dave Fletcher who designed 'The Arm' for Sumiko and not, as I erroneously stated, Tom Fletcher.

http://kiseki-eu.com/how-it-all-started/

Apologies.

hifi_dave
16-12-2017, 15:29
No probs.

kininigin
16-12-2017, 16:06
here's some photo's after setting it up properly yesterday.
there's no 'night and day' difference over the hr100 but then i new there wouldn't be,both highly regarded arms.
the zeta feels and looks like its been very well engineered,solid looking stance and up for a fight!

the bias setting is like a breath of fresh air compared to the hr100's string and weight method,the zeta uses a small dial to adjust bias,balancing the arm in the centre of the platter small increments anti or clockwise has the arm moving to the left or to the right,try doing that with the alphason!

both arms handle the decca c4e,i have a gut feeling the zeta is better suited though being 5g heavier than the hr100.
once the longer cartridge bolts arrive i'll stick the rock paddle back on,the extra weight moves the counter weight further outwards,i might make up some heavier counter weight plates in brass to bring it closer in.

all in all im very happy with my purchase :)

https://s26.postimg.org/99ot5chvt/IMG_1845.jpg

https://s26.postimg.org/fonu20oll/IMG_1846.jpg

https://s26.postimg.org/n5x1h8e4p/IMG_1847.jpg

https://s26.postimg.org/4rmid91u1/IMG_1848.jpg

https://s26.postimg.org/eq7gzqb9l/IMG_1850.jpg

There's a rightness to that set up with the arm,cart and deck! Hope it sounds as good as it looks!

karma67
17-12-2017, 13:25
a quick question,moving the tonearm rca cable around behinf the rack ive noticed its very micro phonic,if i tap it i can hear the tap through the speakers,is this a cause for concern?

paulf-2007
17-12-2017, 13:28
a quick question,moving the tonearm rca cable around behinf the rack ive noticed its very micro phonic,if i tap it i can hear the tap through the speakers,is this a cause for concern?dont tap it then:)

Bigman80
17-12-2017, 13:34
a quick question,moving the tonearm rca cable around behinf the rack ive noticed its very micro phonic,if i tap it i can hear the tap through the speakers,is this a cause for concern?Not really an issue if it isn't causing an issue in normal use. If everything is silent when not playing a record, no drama.

karma67
17-12-2017, 13:58
does it mean its not properly insulated? under the gauze type sheathing i can see the tonearm wires??

Bigman80
17-12-2017, 14:20
I have guitar cables that are extremely microphonic but other that aren't at all. they were all like it from new and are of good quality. I suspect some have the floating shield and some don't. As long as you aren't getting any interference other than when you touch it, it isnt an issue. Does your Zeta buzz when you touch it?

karma67
17-12-2017, 14:21
cheers,
no it doesn't buzz,it hums a bit when turned up,something the alphason didnt do

Bigman80
17-12-2017, 14:31
cheers,
no it doesn't buzz,it hums a bit when turned up,something the alphason didnt doIt may be an earthing issue which could be absolutely anywhere from cart to plugs. I know that my AT arm became a bit microphonic with the Decca but I have no hum or buzz at all. Try running a piece of wire from the arm assembly to your amp earth just in case. That fixed the issue when I had the Mission arm.

CageyH
17-12-2017, 14:49
As you had the issue with the wires losing one channel, and now this, if it were mine and I planned to keep it, I would send it off to J7 at AO to be sorted....

bigmoog
18-12-2017, 07:51

I had a long discussion with Mick at the weekend, we did chat about this. He doesnt recall GB making any 'Heybrook' arms,although they did do work for Mission (774).

bigmoog
18-12-2017, 08:11
Mick told me that just before he left GB tools (they went out of business not long after), they had made 'around' 20 'ZETA Signature' tonearms - these were all in various states of completion and were to be priced well above the standard arm. Im told that the design of the signature had changes to the bearing yoke and other details to reduce some the resonant aspects of the arm. He has no idea what happened to these arms! :doh:

shane
18-12-2017, 11:47
The mystery remains!

hifi_dave
18-12-2017, 11:50
Helius made some arms for Heybrook.

shane
18-12-2017, 13:10
Yes, those I remember. They were awful!

hifi_dave
18-12-2017, 13:12
Good arms, just poorly made.

walpurgis
18-12-2017, 14:27
Good arms, just poorly made.

I've got the first model Helius arm. Seems well enough made to me. Not to 'shiny' Japanese standards maybe, but pretty decent. Not a bad arm either.

Beobloke
18-12-2017, 16:57
The mystery remains!

The other Heybrook arm I know of was made by Alphason. It was a bit of a mix of the Opal and Delta if I recall correctly.

walpurgis
18-12-2017, 17:04
Helius made the arm on the QED R232 turntable. Not seen one of those for a heck of a while.

http://i64.tinypic.com/2pyna1e.jpg

hifi_dave
19-12-2017, 10:32
I've got the first model Helius arm. Seems well enough made to me. Not to 'shiny' Japanese standards maybe, but pretty decent. Not a bad arm either.

Can't recall the name of their least expensive arm but we bought them in polystyrene trays of 4. From those 4, we could usually cobble together 1 working arm and the remainder were returned for replacement/repair. When properly assembled, they were very good.

Didn't have any problems with the top of the range Orion.

alphaGT
19-12-2017, 11:20
As you had the issue with the wires losing one channel, and now this, if it were mine and I planned to keep it, I would send it off to J7 at AO to be sorted....

I second that, what would it cost to rewire the tonearm? Or perhaps it’s something you can do?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

karma67
19-12-2017, 12:03
i could do it and have in the past,i spoke to J7 at OL yesterday and he thinks the biggest problem is the cartridge weight combined with the rock paddle being nearly 17grams.the wiring is planned for after xmas.

karma67
20-12-2017, 17:20
the saga goes on.....
thanks to oli i have a couple of cartridges to try out on the zeta,tonight's one is what the zeta was designed to use,the decca gold.

so far im struggling to hear a difference between it and me C4E,which could be a good thing? i may be on the right path fingers crossed :)

https://s26.postimg.org/5hpk1m45l/IMG_1858_1.jpg

walpurgis
20-12-2017, 17:27
Looks good on there.

Bigman80
20-12-2017, 17:29
the saga goes on.....
thanks to oli i have a couple of cartridges to try out on the zeta,tonight's one is what the zeta was designed to use,the decca gold.

so far im struggling to hear a difference between it and me C4E,i may be on the right path fingers crossed :)

https://s26.postimg.org/5hpk1m45l/IMG_1858_1.jpgIt looks fantastic to be fair! I can't imagine there being much in the way of difference

Looks like it belongs there.

karma67
20-12-2017, 17:33
cheers fellas,
by all accounts the c4e is a better cartridge but what i think im hearing with the gold is a better match with the tonearm,synergy at play hence it sounding very good if that makes sense??
the gold is tracking nicely so far at 1.5g,the counter weight is right up close to the pivot point too.

Bigman80
20-12-2017, 17:59
cheers fellas,
by all accounts the c4e is a better cartridge but what i think im hearing with the gold is a better match with the tonearm,synergy at play hence it sounding very good if that makes sense??
the gold is tracking nicely so far at 1.5g,the counter weight is right up close to the pivot point too.Synergy is the key mate. Everyone will agree with you there.

I must say, for all the horror stories of tracking, i never had an issue. I think it comes down to the condition of the vinyl personally.

DiveDeepDog
20-12-2017, 18:41
I'm waiting for a Mechanic :lol:
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4727/25314129288_d886af6664_o.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/EyVwGY)IMG_4101 (https://flic.kr/p/EyVwGY) by mark leatherland (https://www.flickr.com/photos/49381909@N08/), on Flickr

Bigman80
20-12-2017, 18:45
I'm waiting for a Mechanic :lol:
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4727/25314129288_d886af6664_o.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/EyVwGY)IMG_4101 (https://flic.kr/p/EyVwGY) by mark leatherland (https://www.flickr.com/photos/49381909@N08/), on Flickr

That looks industrial!

karma67
20-12-2017, 19:00
id sell a kidney for that arm and gb clamp!
have you a good pic of the arm please?

DiveDeepDog
20-12-2017, 19:00
The Tabriz headshell is too small for the pod, so the first layer is 2.5g technics weight, the bolts are a bodge, original grub-screws are lost, and not metric (2.5 or 2.7) so its very tentatively tightened.

FWIW, of the arms I've got, and had the Tabriz is the best so far with the Decca, and that includes the usual unipivots...

edit, "I'm waiting for a Mechanic "

I had a 775SM offered once, and declined it, we're only fools once ...

bigmoog
20-12-2017, 21:58
Mechanic special edition with denon....Mick Gray Mechanic version prototype with london decca in titanium pod....

https://thumb.ibb.co/jd3xX6/image.jpg (https://ibb.co/jd3xX6)

bigmoog
20-12-2017, 22:08
Mick gray 'mission mechanic / zeta hybrid prototype...' Three exist...all sound quite promising...

https://thumb.ibb.co/exXwQR/image.jpg (https://ibb.co/exXwQR)

paulf-2007
21-12-2017, 09:11
Synergy is the key mate. Everyone will agree with you there.

I must say, for all the horror stories of tracking, i never had an issue. I think it comes down to the condition of the vinyl personally.

I must disagree with you Oliver, it was nothing to do with the condition of the vinyl when I tried a super gold on my stax 12"
All my vinyl is in excellent condition or it doesn't get played. I played Roy Orbison pretty woman, and when the combination of snare drum beats and bass kicked in it through a wobbly, never experienced anything like it before or since. Some putty between the top of the cart and headshell fixed it and it did sound very good, but no better than the Benz wood SL I was using at the time. A damped unipivot is the ideal arm for the decca's I'm led to believe.

Bigman80
21-12-2017, 09:28
I must disagree with you Oliver, it was nothing to do with the condition of the vinyl when I tried a super gold on my stax 12"
All my vinyl is in excellent condition or it doesn't get played. I played Roy Orbison pretty woman, and when the combination of snare drum beats and bass kicked in it through a wobbly, never experienced anything like it before or since. Some putty between the top of the cart and headshell fixed it and it did sound very good, but no better than the Benz wood SL I was using at the time. A damped unipivot is the ideal arm for the decca's I'm led to believe.I've not got a record it jumped on and there were some pretty complex tracks thrown at it. Im not saying this didnt happen to you, just didnt happen to me.

What arm did you have it on?

paulf-2007
21-12-2017, 10:31
I've not got a record it jumped on and there were some pretty complex tracks thrown at it. Im not saying this didnt happen to you, just didnt happen to me.

What arm did you have it on?

Stax 12"

Bigman80
21-12-2017, 10:33
Stax 12"Oh ok. Very nice lol

Hmmm maybe just one of those things but the Decca I have hasnt missed a beat !

walpurgis
21-12-2017, 10:42
A damped unipivot is the ideal arm for the decca's I'm led to believe.

The Decca International arm was a fluid damped unipivot and was introduced to work with the Mk.V London cartridges.

I have found the fluid damped Mission 774 very good with Londons though, better than the International arm in my view. Their use does entail drilling the headblock through to accept screws into the Decca mount. Or, drilling the Decca mount to allow screw fixing to the arm headblock.

karma67
21-12-2017, 11:44
All my vinyl is in excellent condition or it doesn't get played. I played Roy Orbison pretty woman, and when the combination of snare drum beats and bass kicked in it through a wobbly, never experienced anything like it before or since. Some putty between the top of the cart and headshell fixed it and it did sound very good, but no better than the Benz wood SL I was using at the time. A damped unipivot is the ideal arm for the decca's I'm led to believe.

Otherwise known as the decca dance :)

Barry
21-12-2017, 11:54
That looks industrial!

It's what I use with my Gold. The GB clamp is often maligned by some as it possible to overtighten the screws and thus distort the thin 'biscuit box' housing of the Decca Mk. Vs and Mk. VIs, thereby damaging and mis-aligning the magnet/coil assemblies. However I would expect most users to be sensible and simply tighten the screws so the cartridge is just 'nipped'.

The Martin Bastin inspired Deccapod is a neater looking device, and like the GB clamp does away with the compliant plastic mounting bracket, but does little to dampen the resonant nature of the metal housing. But then there are some who prefer to retain the red plastic mount and dampen the housing with cloth tape or a rubber-based paint.

Bigman80
21-12-2017, 13:16
Otherwise known as the decca dance :)[emoji23]

Bigman80
21-12-2017, 13:19
It's what I use with my Gold. The GB clamp is often maligned by some as it possible to overtighten the screws and thus distort the thin 'biscuit box' housing of the Decca Mk. Vs and Mk. VIs, thereby damaging and mis-aligning the magnet/coil assemblies. However I would expect most users to be sensible and simply tighten the screws so the cartridge is just 'nipped'.

The Martin Bastin inspired Deccapod is a neater looking device, and like the GB clamp does away with the compliant plastic mounting bracket, but does little to dampen the resonant nature of the metal housing. But then there are some who prefer to retain the red plastic mount and dampen the housing with cloth tape or a rubber-based paint.All worthwhile I suppose.

P700
28-12-2017, 17:08
Glad you like your Zeta , I've had mine 30 years or so :)

karma67
29-12-2017, 11:33
a bit of re thinking with the tonearm,the counter weight to balance out the 16g total cartridge and rock paddle ends up being to far away from the pivot point so a heavier counter weight is needed.
easier said than done with the zeta.

the standard counter weight. excuse the dog hairs,the cleaners on holiday :lol:
https://s26.postimg.cc/7rpiszju1/IMG_1876_1.jpg

inside are 2 steel plates to suit various cartridge weight,you just use 1 or both plates to suit.
https://s26.postimg.org/4kuz9detl/IMG_1877_1.jpg

my cunning plan is to make some more plates but in bronze which is heavier than steel and perhaps bigger too.
i'll get some prices but if it too expensive to have them turned i may just scratch the itch i have to buy a metal lathe :)
in the meantime the bronze turned up today.
https://s26.postimg.cc/8tzpbjxih/IMG_1878_1.jpg

so its back in its box and whilst i decide the alphason is doing sterling service again.
https://s26.postimg.cc/bphdwc6dl/IMG_1881[1].jpg

walpurgis
29-12-2017, 11:46
Bet that lump of bronze wasn't cheap. :)

I have a small metal lathe I might just consider parting with.

karma67
29-12-2017, 11:58
it was £35 geoff,i should have some left over for the alphason if need too.

Ali Tait
29-12-2017, 12:05
Speedy Steve would be your man for that job.

Barry
29-12-2017, 16:52
Is it possible to use both counterweight discs?

vinylspinner
29-12-2017, 17:17
My Zeta came with 5 washer type weights, you could always use standard washers and drill them if required.

Nigel

karma67
29-12-2017, 17:32

yes barry i have been,by the way thanks for doing the compliance calcs for me,top man :)

karma67
29-01-2018, 20:07
:carrot: on its way back from J7!!!
he found slight sticking of the vertical bearings which the rewire has corrected and a new external cable supplied.
apparently the old tonearm wire was a lash up.happy days!

Bigman80
29-01-2018, 20:29
:carrot: on its way back from J7!!!
he found slight sticking of the vertical bearings which the rewire has corrected and a new external cable supplied.
apparently the old tonearm wire was a lash up.happy days!Money well spent then. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the combo!!

karma67
30-01-2018, 19:25
i hope so oli,the zeta is going to be a tight squeeze mounting on the armboard as its very near the edge,that tells me a jap arm might be best suited but im too far in with the zeta now

Bigman80
30-01-2018, 19:31
i hope so oli,the zeta is going to be a tight squeeze mounting on the armboard as its very near the edge,that tells me a jap arm might be best suited but im too far in with the zeta nowWell, you've missed all the AT1010 arm Angus had so the Zeta will have to do! [emoji6]

I'm sure your skillset will come in handy when knocking up an armboard. Where there is a will, there's a way!

DiveDeepDog
30-01-2018, 22:07
Re:weights , Audiomods counterweight is inspired by the Zeta, and uses lead sheets sandwiched between metal plates. Not as pretty as brass but effective and cheap?

In the meantime, I've had to make do with this

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4614/39088610135_e1d2bd6a2d_o.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/22y8kY4)IMG_4125 (https://flic.kr/p/22y8kY4) by mark leatherland (https://www.flickr.com/photos/49381909@N08/), on Flickr

Need to get into the shed and make Corian armboard, should've done a few when I built the plinth, but that would've made life easy :doh:

karma67
01-02-2018, 21:18
the arm arrived today from j7,a first class job as normal,also whislt the arm been away i asked speedy steve make me some more counterweight insertsin bronze.i want to cover all bases with the denon so if i need more mass at the front i can counter it at the back.

https://s26.postimg.cc/5w6n2txmx/IMG_20180125_150134130-493x584_1.jpg

karma67
04-02-2018, 12:03
some more options covered if needed to get the denon in the sweet spot ,ive knocked up a headshell weight from brass.
im not sure of the exact weight yet but it maxed out my 5g tracking weight scales.

https://s26.postimg.cc/mdlvbrsjd/IMG_1939.jpg

https://s26.postimg.cc/4asskk4eh/IMG_1947.jpg

https://s26.postimg.cc/vle3shf15/IMG_1949.jpg

Bigman80
04-02-2018, 12:25
That looks tidy mate.

paulf-2007
04-02-2018, 13:57
stuck a penny on the decca Jamie, that weighs 3g

paulf-2007
04-02-2018, 13:58
Re:weights , Audiomods counterweight is inspired by the Zeta, and uses lead sheets sandwiched between metal plates. Not as pretty as brass but effective and cheap?

In the meantime, I've had to make do with this

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4614/39088610135_e1d2bd6a2d_o.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/22y8kY4)IMG_4125 (https://flic.kr/p/22y8kY4) by mark leatherland (https://www.flickr.com/photos/49381909@N08/), on Flickr

Need to get into the shed and make Corian armboard, should've done a few when I built the plinth, but that would've made life easy :doh:feel sorry for you, :)

karma67
04-02-2018, 18:58
That looks tidy mate.

cheers mate,i dont think i will need it which is a shame as the colour contrast looks very nice.

Bigman80
04-02-2018, 19:03
cheers mate,i dont think i will need it which is a shame as the colour contrast looks very nice.That's a shame. It looks great

Avinunca1
07-05-2018, 15:42
Could anyone tell me if the Zeta uses the Jelco JL-45 TONEARM LIFT or whether it fits the Zeta.

Edit - I've found some measurements so I'll measure the old one. Meanwhile if anyone does happen to know...

DiveDeepDog
07-05-2018, 16:15
feel sorry for you, :)

I felt so sorry and left out, I bought a Mission Mechanic to join the GB Tools club ��

karma67
07-05-2018, 16:26
I felt so sorry and left out, I bought a Mission Mechanic to join the GB Tools club ��

ooooh lets see some pics!!!

DiveDeepDog
07-05-2018, 16:40
Just one for now

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/803/40779875724_07a7806f98_o.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/258zwiA)IMG_4264 (https://flic.kr/p/258zwiA) by mark leatherland (https://www.flickr.com/photos/49381909@N08/), on Flickr

I've changed too much recently to assess much, I swapped an Artemiz onto the Delphi and thought its clean/lean bass suited better, but I rate the Artemiz as probably the best arm I've got (J7 Incognito re-wire). Need to make an armband for the Mechanic to fit on a Garrard for more assessment, nevertheless the Mechanic is a thing of beauty, hard and heavy with a black chrome finish.

DiveDeepDog
09-05-2018, 13:27
Its new home, may be here a while :D

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/954/41951414602_5028a391b9_o.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/26V6XZL)IMG_4303 (https://flic.kr/p/26V6XZL) by mark leatherland (https://www.flickr.com/photos/49381909@N08/), on Flickr

sq225917
09-05-2018, 14:55
mark,
I'm delivering a Paradise tonight. I'll forward on those resistors tomorrow. Sorry for the delay.

DiveDeepDog
09-05-2018, 15:07
mark,
I'm delivering a Paradise tonight. I'll forward on those resistors tomorrow. Sorry for the delay.

Thanks, Koetsu arrived back from Goldring rebuild today, just conjuring up courage to fit it .

karma67
09-05-2018, 16:34
Its new home, may be here a while :D

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/954/41951414602_5028a391b9_o.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/26V6XZL)IMG_4303 (https://flic.kr/p/26V6XZL) by mark leatherland (https://www.flickr.com/photos/49381909@N08/), on Flickr

lovely! massive arm tube,you can see the progression from mission sm to zeta to mechanic.
promise me please if you ever sell you'll give me first refusal :cool:

DiveDeepDog
09-05-2018, 19:10
lovely! massive arm tube,you can see the progression from mission sm to zeta to mechanic.
promise me please if you ever sell you'll give me first refusal :cool:

I've lusted after one of these for a long time, its not going far. Its already sounding really good, my previous favourite Artemiz may be displaced from No 1 spot.
At a squint they have a lot of similarities with with oversized bearing housing, except ones plastic!

karma67
01-07-2018, 12:04
what a lovely combo!
https://s26.postimg.cc/6gy4nytmh/IMG_2390_1.jpg

Firebottle
01-07-2018, 12:17
Mark that looks fantastic, well done there.
I can only imagine it sounds as good as it looks :thumbsup:

karma67
01-07-2018, 12:19
what about mine :( lol