PDA

View Full Version : Yaqin MC-10L

monstermoo
23-02-2010, 16:42
I'm not sure if analogue art is the right section to post this in or not, but I was wondering what the general opinion is of the Yaqin MC-10L?

My brother has one and it sounds great and he uses it to power a pair of Kef bass reflex speakers (I can't remember the model number).

BUT, I'm wondering if it would be up to driving my Isobariks without the risk of blowing up, or wiping out any of the drivers in my prized speakers?:eek:

Any thoughts?

TIA

Steve

Jason P
24-02-2010, 17:13
Dunno about driving 'Briks, but I liked mine very much. The later model is the one to go for (MkII) as a lot of the iffy electrical gremlins were sorted then. There is still the issue of 220 vs 240v. Our mains can vary up to 250+v here, and that is too much for a 220v version in some instances - certainly reducing valve life. Mine was, according to the box, a 240v version. I didn't have any problems with it, and sonically it was full and punchy with a nice 'valve' richness. For the money it was great, but I got it S/H from a chap rather than paying import duty and huge shipping costs from China/HK.

I think if you could get one for £200 or thereabouts, then great. If it's nearer 3, you're getting into the range where you could pick up a WAD KEL84 secondhand, generally accepted to be a bit of a giant killer in the valve world. I'd plump for one of those instead, if only for the certainty of 240v compatibility and better build quality - not that the Yaqin is bad, but a well made KEL will be much better, and hold it's resale value well.

Driving the 'briks will be down to sensitivity and the load they present to the amp. Others here will be far more informed than me.

Jason

chris@panteg
25-02-2010, 10:24
over on Pink Fish ' there are a lot of Briks user's , it might be worth asking them ' though Marco on here may be able to help on this .