PDA

View Full Version : Reading about Music

webby
23-02-2010, 14:20
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has read books that have then inspired them to listen to new music, or indeed listened to music that has prompted you to read about it/the artist/the making of?

I think it was Elvis Costello who once said “Writing about music is like dancing about architecture - it's a really stupid thing to want to do”. I disagree. I may not write about music, but I certainly like to read about it.

I've read books about Paul McCartney, The Beatles, Bono, U2, Neil Young, Crowded House, Simple Minds, Brian Wilson, and The Beach Boys amongst others, and it's the Beach Boys one I want to highlight here.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0711961972.01._SX140_SY225_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Brian Wilson & The Beach Boys: How Deep Is The Ocean? (Link to a preview of the book) (http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=CfCMwtZkTysC&lpg=PP1&ots=Hvkgglwty-&dq=how%20deep%20is%20the%20ocean%20beach%20boys&pg=PP1#v=onepage&q=&f=false)

Written by Paul Williams of Crawdaddy fame, this is a great book. I bought this at a time when I had just a couple of Beach Boys cds. I'd started reading about them online and learned about the infamous aborted Smile album. There was an awful lot of myth and mystery surrounding the album, especially as it was to be the follow up to the acclaimed Pet Sounds album. My interest was piqued and I chose this book to gain a better insight.

The book contains essays and interviews from the time of recording in '66/'67, right up to it's release in 1997. It's written with such passion, awe and marvel that I just could not resist the urge to track down more of these long lost, or rather, unreleased recordings as well as other Beach Boys work. Some of the Smile tracks were included on the Good Vibrations:30 Years of the Beach Boys 5cd box set. This was quite pricey at the time, but when I saw it at £30 one day I bought it. Since then, I've bought a few of the twofer remasters; Smiley Smile & Wild Honey, Friends & 20/20, Sunflower & Surf's Up and 15 Big Ones & Love You. At around £6 a pop they were a bargain. They're a steal now at £4 on amazon!

I've also downloaded lots of Smile bootlegs and various session work, as well as the official release in 2004 of the rerecorded Smile album. It's all fascinating stuff.

I may not have delved so deep had it not been for that book.

Joe
23-02-2010, 23:43
Three of my favourites;

Revolution in the Head by Ian MacDonald: a detailed song-by-song analysis of the Beatles' music

Psychotic Reactions and Carburettor Dung by Lester Bangs: compilation of his writings for Creem magazine.

Head-On by Julian Cope: the story of his life and musical adventures up to and including The Teardrop Explodes.

The Grand Wazoo
24-02-2010, 00:21
That was great Lee, thanks.
I'll keep a look out for a copy of that.
I've always got at least one music book on the go!
At the moment I'm reading:
2Stoned, the second part of Andrew Loog Oldham's autobiography, and
Always Magic in the Air: The Bomp and Brilliance of the Brill Building Era by Ken Emerson

I was thinking of having a bit of a clear out of some of my books to make some room, so I may offer them on AoS sometime.

Joe,
Those are three great books!
Revolution in the Head is absolutely essential to anyone vaguely interested in the Beatles.
Head On is hilarious & far better to the sequel.
Carburettor Dung is fab, but I'd guess it'd be a bit tough to get into if you don't click with the style of writing

webby
24-02-2010, 08:13
Yep, I've got Revolution in the Head. Great book.