PDA

View Full Version : Elliptical - are they so bad?

farflungstar
09-12-2017, 18:18
I'm currently using a Fritz Geiger on my Allaerts and like the detail it gives me - but I've just bought (yet to receive) Steve's Goldbug Mr Brier, mainly for sentimental reasons as I wanted one when it was the dogs b*ll*cks but couldn't afford one. It uses a (new) elliptical stylus and I'm wondering how much detail will be lost, if any, by switching types.

Ammonite Audio
09-12-2017, 20:17
There are many elements making up a good analogue recipe, with the tip being a relatively minor one, IMO. An elliptical tip might not drag out the last bit of detail from the grooves, compared with a more exotic profile, but detail alone does not dictate the musical whole. There is a real risk of chasing rainbows here, if you're not careful, but you could always get a finer tip put on the Goldbug if you were curious to know what might be missing - the inherent character of a cartridge is largely defined by the generator, amongst other design factors.

walpurgis
09-12-2017, 20:24
One of the best sounding MC's I've owned had an elliptical diamond. The Technics EPC-305MC and that had no lack of fine detail resolution, quite the reverse actually.

farflungstar
09-12-2017, 20:24
Thanks hugo. I'm not a detail freak but I do like the finer nuances. I had an elliptical but it was so long ago I cant remember my impressions. This will be a back up to the Allaerts (god forbid it goes tits up) but I'm hoping I can make the Brier sing in the superb Reed in a way others haven't quite achieved. We shall see....

CageyH
11-12-2017, 18:52
My Technics EPC-U205 (with original elliptical stylus/cantilever) still sounds mighty fine.