PDA

View Full Version : ALF's Welcome Post

ALF
09-12-2017, 05:42
This is my first post - just one to say "Hello".
My name is Anthony (or "Ant") - my user name "ALF" is my initials forming another nick-name.
I live in a nice little town called Nairne in the Adelaide Hills, South Australia.
I was born less than 20km from here, but have been in a few places around Australia over the last 66 years. I retired at the start of this year and made the big move (well, 70km) from the Barossa Valley to here.
I worked for a couple of decades from 1969 in plant sciences at Adelaide University, and then following 6 years of Seminary study became a clergyman - a pastor of a few small congregations.
Now I’m a free agent (well, sort of - I’m married y’know).
I built my first set of speakers back in 1968 (mono), and have gone through many sheets of plywood and mdf since then. For the past 15 or so years I have been a disciple of open-baffle speaker sound but, since retiring and moving to this new house, I have changed my ways and moved back to bought boxes.
I was a Lutheran clergyman, but my musical tastes are catholic (joke … not funny … sigh…) - I listen to Jazz, Rock (mostly 60s and 70s), Classical, and Folk.
My system at present (and I hope for a long time) has no sawdust around it -
> Weston Acoustics KT120 pp valve amp (Topaz) driving a pair of Altec Model 15 speakers.
> Sonic Driver class D amp driving a pair of Audio Nirvana Classic 10 drivers in transmission lines.
> A little Sonic Impact T amp driving a pair of vintage Wharfedale omnidirectional towers (with the original Wharfedale Super 8 drivers replaced by Visaton B200s.
> The TV ("home theatre") is stereo - none of that surround stuff for us - a Cambridge Audio DacMagic feeding an old NAD C320 BEE playing a pair of Aaron AT5 speakers.
Most of my music comes from a Mac Mini via a Beresford Bushmaster DAC in (mostly) lossless format.
I have a Rega Planar 3 TT with Hadcock Research arm and Dynavector Ruby Carat cartridge - but at present no phono preamp (!) … sigh.
So …. that’s about me - a flâneur, a gentleman of refined tastes, people watcher, artist (painter), idler, and soul whose intentions are good.
Anthony "Ant" "ALF" .

Audio Al
09-12-2017, 07:00
Hi Anthony

A very nice and interesting first post , :)

Looks like you have had a wide and varied life so far and have accumulated some nice audio equipment

Have fun and join in with posts and photos of you equipment in the Gallery section

Respect :respect:

Andy831
09-12-2017, 07:10
Welcome Alf.

Interesting life and interesting equipment.

Photo's of the valve amp and the Aztecs would pique my interest mate.

I have a mates who live in Robe and Mount Gambier which I guess will be fairly close ( in Australian terms Lol)

Andy

struth
09-12-2017, 07:14
Hi and welcome Ant. Hope you enjoy your stay and hang around. Cheers and good intro mate

ALF
09-12-2017, 07:21
Welcome Alf.

I have a mates who live in Robe and Mount Gambier which I guess will be fairly close ( in Australian terms Lol)

Andy
G'day
I'll bung in a couple of pics later ...
Mt Gambier is less than half a day away - not far!
Cheers
ALF

ALF
09-12-2017, 07:46
22129 ALF Gear

Andy831
09-12-2017, 08:22
Nice looking set up ALF. I particularly like those Altecs.

LOL half a day to Mount Gambier, like I said close in Aussie terms I suppose. Robe is a lot closer to Adelaide though so again in Aussie terms I guess your close neigbours LOL.

Might try and get a listen to those Altecs when I visit.

Andy

tapid
09-12-2017, 09:07
Like the gday bit mate, typical ozz a ?. Nice set up, enjoy your stay here Alf. Best wishes

walpurgis
09-12-2017, 09:33
Hello Anthony. Welcome to AOS.

That's an interesting selection of equipment there. Altecs are a favourite of mine.

Tell us what future plans you may have for your Hi-Fi system. I assume a phono stage features?

Feel free to join in the chat. Everybody is friendly.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

vinyl
13-12-2017, 19:44
A warm welcome! Lovely kit!

Floyddroid
14-12-2017, 06:37
G'day mate.

ALF
14-12-2017, 06:45
Hello Anthony. Welcome to AOS.

That's an interesting selection of equipment there. Altecs are a favourite of mine.

Tell us what future plans you may have for your Hi-Fi system. I assume a phono stage features?

Feel free to join in the chat. Everybody is friendly.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

A phono stage is on the cards, but I'm stalling
... the prevarication is for two reasons - first, at the end of year one of retirement I have spent my budget for 2017;
and second, I'm not sure which direction I should take.
It might not sound strictly proper to purists, but I'd like a remote control (volume). I'm getting too old (lazy) to jump up and down to twiddle the knob on the amp, and the danger of spilling my glass of health juice is increased by leaving my seat for manual audio attenuation.
So - rather than a stand alone phono stage, I'm fantasising about a nice new preamp with remote, dac, phono all in one ... Rotel and NAD make nice looking units, but such things are out of my field of experience - I've always driven manual when it comes to audio.
Any kind(ish) words of wisdom will be welcome. :)

ALF
14-12-2017, 07:02
G'day mate.
Bewdie - G'day!

Andy831
14-12-2017, 08:51
A phono stage is on the cards, but I'm stalling
... I'm getting too old (lazy) to jump up and down to twiddle the knob on the amp, and the danger of spilling my glass of health juice is increased by leaving my seat for manual audio attenuation.

But you have to jump up every 20 minutes to turn the record over :eyebrows::cool:

ALF
14-12-2017, 08:59
But you have to jump up every 20 minutes to turn the record over :eyebrows::cool:
You can't get the staff these days, y'know ...