PDA

View Full Version : What are your favourite albums?

James the Albarry lover
05-12-2017, 13:57
When I got my first taste of real hifi I listened to dire straits and they easily became my favourite, my favourite album of theirs has to be their debut album from 1978.

Another personal favourite is Yola by Eleanor McEvoy a beautifully recorded album it also helps that Eleanor herself is a fan of hifi.

This last one is a little different, I've always been a huge gaming nerd sinse I first played the N64, when Xbox came out it came with the brilliant game halo and with halo came the best video game soundtrack I've ever heard, huge orchestral pieces with a very distinct character that I've never heard anywhere else. There are alot of halo games and in turn alot of soundtracks but my personal favourite is the halo odst soundtrack I recommend you give it a listen on YouTube to see what I'm on about, the first song starts with rain and thunder and sounds so realistic it's as if you're in the middle of it

So what's your favourite albums and why?

Barry
05-12-2017, 14:57
Before anyone replies, would you like me to correct the grammar of the title? ;)

James the Albarry lover
05-12-2017, 20:30
Before anyone replies, would you like me to correct the grammar of the title? ;)

Have you already changed it or am I just stupid? :doh:
You'll come to realise that alot of what I type is full of spelling and grammar mistakes :lol:

Haselsh1
06-12-2017, 11:04
For me it has to be Brand X's album Moroccan Roll on the Charisma label. Around the time this was released I had been heavily into Genesis and found this an even better expression of Phil Collins' drumming skills. Also at this time I had been involved in a huge motorcycle smash that had me in hospital for five and a half months so this was a very welcome album when I got out and set up my first ever 'real' hi-fi system. I still have this original vinyl from 1978 and a more up to date CD version which is just not as good as the vinyl depending on how my mood is.

;)

mightymonoped
06-12-2017, 11:30
For me it has to be Brand X's album Moroccan Roll on the Charisma label. Around the time this was released I had been heavily into Genesis and found this an even better expression of Phil Collins' drumming skills. Also at this time I had been involved in a huge motorcycle smash that had me in hospital for five and a half months so this was a very welcome album when I got out and set up my first ever 'real' hi-fi system. I still have this original vinyl from 1978 and a more up to date CD version which is just not as good as the vinyl depending on how my mood is.

;)

A big "yes" to Moroccan Roll - one of my favourite vinyls. Was actually the first album I cleaned when I reinstated my turntable a few months ago. :-)

Haselsh1
06-12-2017, 12:43
A big "yes" to Moroccan Roll - one of my favourite vinyls. Was actually the first album I cleaned when I reinstated my turntable a few months ago. :-)

Since discovering Moroccan Roll I have caught up with most of their other stuff and have a much bigger selection on vinyl than CD. Their whole sound is stunning and the playing is sublime.

perlogalism
06-12-2017, 18:37
I'll have a listen to Moroccan Roll but my favourite album has to be Dark Side of the Moon. I was 11 when I first heard it and it just blew me away. 40 something years later and I still listen to it (although not on the original quadrophonic vinyl that I had back then - that's been worn away!)

walpurgis
06-12-2017, 18:45
DSoTM is my least favourite Floyd album. Bought it on vinyl when it first came out and never liked it much. Also got fed up with all the stands at audio shows playing it non-stop at the time too. (yes, I was going to audio shows in 1973 :))

I far prefer The Wall and Wish You Were Here is good too.

Haselsh1
07-12-2017, 07:40
DSoTM is my least favourite Floyd album. Bought it on vinyl when it first came out and never liked it much. Also got fed up with all the stands at audio shows playing it non-stop at the time too. (yes, I was going to audio shows in 1973 :))

I far prefer The Wall and Wish You Were Here is good too.

:lol:

Certainly know what you mean about the hi-fi shows and DSOTM. Endless Linn/Naim/Isobarik nonsense back in the late seventies and early eighties.

Also agree that WYWH is probably a better musical experience but hey, each to their own. Moroccan Roll certainly won't be to some peoples taste.

Haselsh1
07-12-2017, 07:48
I'll have a listen to Moroccan Roll but my favourite album has to be Dark Side of the Moon. I was 11 when I first heard it and it just blew me away. 40 something years later and I still listen to it (although not on the original quadrophonic vinyl that I had back then - that's been worn away!)

Mike, I was fourteen when I first heard DSOTM and that was back in 1973 just after its release. I was just blown away with all of that 'new' synth stuff that was emerging around that time and still, even now, spend time programming the sequence from 'On The Run' into my synths in an attempt to do some differing variation on it. Fabulous piece of music all the way through the whole album but I think some of us need some time away from it every now and then.

;)

Another I discovered around 1973 was 'Selling England By The Pound' but this album shaped my whole musical future. It was probably the biggest positive event of my life and affected everything I have listened to since, again mainly for that ARP Pro Soloist sound.

perlogalism
07-12-2017, 09:44
Mike, I was fourteen when I first heard DSOTM and that was back in 1973 just after its release. I was just blown away with all of that 'new' synth stuff that was emerging around that time and still, even now, spend time programming the sequence from 'On The Run' into my synths in an attempt to do some differing variation on it. Fabulous piece of music all the way through the whole album but I think some of us need some time away from it every now and then.

;)

Another I discovered around 1973 was 'Selling England By The Pound' but this album shaped my whole musical future. It was probably the biggest positive event of my life and affected everything I have listened to since, again mainly for that ARP Pro Soloist sound.

Ah, a kindred spirit! :champagne:

Primalsea
07-12-2017, 10:10
For me its the older pressings of U2’s Joshua Tree, dont care much for the newer heavyweight release that came out a few years back. I just think it is a great album.

James the Albarry lover
07-12-2017, 17:06
For me its the older pressings of U2’s Joshua Tree, dont care much for the newer heavyweight release that came out a few years back. I just think it is a great album.

I love abit of U2 myself, another would have to be Madonna's immaculate collection which was recorded in such a way that it gives a very surround sound effect

RobbieGong
07-12-2017, 18:01
Way too many really but to mention some from the likes of:
Bob Marley,
Bunny Wailer,
Burning Spear,
Dennis Brown,
Freddie Mcgregor,
Gregory Isaacs,
Curtis Mayfield,
Donny Hathaway,
Aretha Franklin,
Billy Paul,
Bill Withers,
Marcus Millers debut Suddenly
Bobby Caldwell's 1978 debut album,
Stevie Wonders Hotter than July,
Steely Dan Aja and Goucho,
These are some of the ones I reach for time after time ........ :)

alphaGT
07-12-2017, 18:15
I’m with Robbie, too many to name. Dark Side has always been high on my list, but somehow Animals is one of my most played Floyd albums. I keep a stack of about 10 to 20 vinyls in my most frequently played albums, and it rotates over the years. A few that remain in this stack have been:

Robin Trower Bridge of Sighs
Led Zeppelin Presence
Steely Dan Aja
Jimi Hendrix Experienced
James Gang Rides again
Jethro Tull Aqualung
Rush 2112
Aerosmith Rocks
Black Sabbath Sabotage

Many, many more but these and a few others seem like they’ve remained in the frequent stack for more years than I can remember. I still buy new vinyl and CD now and again, when I find a title I want, but somehow none of these new albums ever make it into the frequently played stack, if i never bought a new album I could get by.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Haselsh1
07-12-2017, 19:08
Ah, a kindred spirit! :champagne:

:thumbsup:

bobvfr
07-12-2017, 19:52
Of course my top 20 has the complete set of Led Zeppelin, several Pink Floyd albums and Genesis up to Duke and a lot of Bowie (OK this top twenty is growing quickly).

But slipping in as honourable mentions are "Hero and Heroine" by the Strawbs, "Oil on Canvas" by Japan and "Hounds of Love" by Kate Bush, "Warrior on the edge of Time" by Hawkwind, "96 degrees in the shade" by Third World and "Captain Fantastic" by Elton John

Chuck in some Blue Beat (Sorry Robbie Gong you missed Desmond Dekker off your list), some folk by Fairport Convention, Steeleye Span and Jack the Lad.

And I forgot the Who and the Stones, sod it I give up.................. :-)

paulf-2007
07-12-2017, 19:59
Just a start as my memory is failing

Roy Orbison in dreams greatest hits, double album in a single sleeve, fabulous recording.
Supertramp crime of the century, half speed mastered vinyl
Bruce Cockburn dancing in the jaws of dragons, half speed mastered vinyl
Jennifer Warnes the well 45rpm LP vinyl
Agnes obel citizens of glass

Mikeandvan
13-12-2017, 01:25
Al Green - Belle
The kinks - Arthur
Dusty - In Memphis
Robert Wyatt - Rock bottom
These are probably my most played lps, along with Carly simon, Paul simon (no relation!), and Stones - Exile on Main st.
Can I have a techno one too? X103 - Atlantis.
Oh and in the spirit of AOS, a prog one I play a lot is Comus - 1st Utterance.
Edit post! - Bowie - Aladdin Sane.

mightymonoped
13-12-2017, 11:09
Not including any recent stuff..as it's too early to tell, so here's some of the formative stuff.....

Stevie Wonder - Talking Book
Joni Mitchell - Hejira
John Martyn - One World
Steely Dan - Aja / Gaucho
Third World - 96 Degrees in the Shade
Brand X - Moroccan Roll
Stanley Clarke - School Days
Michael Jackson - Off the Wall
George Benson - Breezin
Kate Bush - Hounds of Love / Aerial
David Sancious & Tone - True Stories
Gil Scott Heron & Brian Jackson - Secrets
Jonatha Brooke - Plumb
Shawn Colvin - Whole New You
Peter Tosh - Equal Rights
Rickie Lee Jones - Rickie Lee Jones
Jean Luc Ponty - Civilised Evil

Pigmy Pony
15-12-2017, 21:33
I love abit of U2 myself, another would have to be Madonna's immaculate collection which was recorded in such a way that it gives a very surround sound effect

I prefer Madonna's 'Something to Remember' album, more a collection of ballads. And that voice! She carries more emotion in a single note than a whole songful of Mariah Carey's up-and-down warbling.

A couple of you include Third World's '96 Degrees in the Shade, not heard that but I'll put it on my Christmas list-I have 'Journey To Addis' on vinyl and love it.

Kate Bush 'Aerial' is another favourite, and her recent live one 'Before the Dawn'. Most live albums are little more than a souvenir, but they really made an effort with this one.

Also like a bit of Deadmau5, Prodigy 'Always Outnumbered' (not anyone else's favourite I know), The Orb's 'Ultraworld' album (good for clearing snow off the roof), and Orbital 'In Sides' for special occasions.

Oh and Frank Zappa's 'Hot Rats' for when it's time for your visitors to leave.

struth
15-12-2017, 21:59
One of my favs is Nightbird by Eva Cassidy. Led Zeppelin s first album is also high up the list

Lerxst
16-12-2017, 09:39
This is a really difficult question - but all I have to do is look at the albums I just never bother putting away:

Prefab Sprout - Steve McQueen
Rush - Counterparts (best recording they've ever done for dynamics)
Pearl Jam - Ten
Maggies Dream - Maggies Dream
Blof - Omarm
Genesis - Seconds Out
Deacon Blue - Our Town
Extreme - III sides to every story
Paul Weller - Wildwood
K's Choice - Cocoon Crash
Geddy Lee - My Favorite Headache
Queen - News of the World
Creed - Weathered

I have phases. I love thos "DJ nights" when I just can't stop (just one more song!!).

Floyddroid
27-12-2017, 06:46
Moonmadness - Camel
Eve - The Alan Parsons Project
Selling England By The Pound - Genesis
Delirium - Capercaillie
James Newton Howard - Friends
Flaunt The Imperfection - China Crisis
Graceland - Paul Simon
Blind Dog At St Dunstan - Caravan
Trilogy - ELP
Tournado - Tangerine Dream
Sleepwalk - Larry Carlton
Famous blue raincoat - Jennifer Warnes
Nine objects of desire - Suzanne Vega

Bazil
27-12-2017, 09:16
I always say Selling England by The Pound and Amused To Death are my favourite albums , the former I never play these days , the latter gets a regular listen so AMD no.1 .

Oddball
30-12-2017, 15:31
Selling England By The Pound is one of mine also.
Nursery Cryme too
Full Moon Fever - Tom Petty
New York -Lou Reed
Bruce Hornsby and the Range -The Way it is
Supertramp - Crime of the Century

AJSki2fly
08-01-2018, 17:59
OK tricky to choose when there is so much great music, so going on most played over the years.

Pink Floyd - Meddle, Dark Side of the Moon, & Wish you Were Here
Moody Blues - On the Threshold of a Dream
Hawkwind - Doremi Solfa Latido
Michael Hedges - Aerial Boundaries
Led Zeppelin - I, II, III, IV & Physical Graffiti
The Groundhogs - Split
The Alan Parsons Project - I Robot, & Stereotomy
Manfred Mann's Earth Band - Sound of Silence
Black Sabbath - Master of Reality
Deep Purple - Fireball
Kate Bush - Hounds of Love
Fleetwood Mac - Mirage
Pat Metheny & Lyle Mays - As Falls Wichita, So Falls Wichita Falls

Floyddroid
08-01-2018, 20:24
OK tricky to choose when there is so much great music, so going on most played over the years.

Pink Floyd - Meddle, Dark Side of the Moon, & Wish you Were Here
Moody Blues - On the Threshold of a Dream
Hawkwind - Doremi Solfa Latido
Michael Hedges - Aerial Boundaries
Led Zeppelin - I, II, III, IV & Physical Graffiti
The Groundhogs - Split
The Alan Parsons Project - I Robot, & Stereotomy
Manfred Mann's Earth Band - Sound of Silence
Black Sabbath - Master of Reality
Deep Purple - Fireball
Kate Bush - Hounds of Love
Fleetwood Mac - Mirage
Pat Metheny & Lyle Mays - As Falls Wichita, So Falls Wichita Falls

Do you mean "The Roaring Silence" by Manfred Mann's Earth Band?

Clothears
12-01-2018, 21:47
Groundhogs - Split / Thank Christ For The Bomb / Hogwash
Audience - House on the Hill
Rory Gallagher - Live in Europe
Richard Thompson - Rumour & Sigh
Al Green - Greatest Hits
Wings - Band on the Run
Beatles - Abbey Road
Ian Dury - New Boots and Panties
Dion - Yo Frankie
Decemberists - all of them