PDA

View Full Version : Have I toasted my preamp by twiddling the headshell cables whilst it was switched on?

wojtek
03-12-2017, 00:46
Hi everyone,

As someone who is still an ingénue in the world of valves and turntables, I would very much value your opinion on what might have caused the following.:

I recently bought a valve preamplifier with reputably an excellent MM phono stage ( a leben rs28cx). I bought it privately, it had been serviced in the past year, and played wonderfully well when I compared it with my graham slee phono stage. It was silent, with some hum from my speakers being from my papworth TVA 10 power amp, and no change on switching the pre amp on / off.

Today I tried changing cartridges to an old Ortofon I had bought on another forum some months back. The headshell cables were a little stiff. I don’t really know what I’m doing yet, but I connected the new cartridge and screwed it in. On switching on the turntable, I initially had sound coming from one speaker only and perhaps a little noise. I thought to tweak the headshell cables, which I did whilst everything was switched on. This caused some noise ,but nothing that sounded damaging. It then played fine, and the cartridge sounded great.

Howerver, on finishing the record, I now find the phono stage is quite noisy when selected, with occasional soft popping sounds and a bit of hum that sounds like when the ground is not connected. Disconnecting the phono cables helps, but not completely. More worryingly, there is now a bit of soft, steady noise audible through the speakers when the preamp is switched on. I’m pretty certain this was absent before, it's not audible when music is playing.

Obviously I will need to go to an appropriate hifi dealer, but any thoughts as to what I might have damaged here? Thanks!

p.s. since buying the preamp, a local dealer explained he had originally sold it to the seller, but that it had some noise/hum in the phono stage. This was definitely not the case when I first got it, so presumably it had been fixed by servicing.

paulf-2007
03-12-2017, 08:43
Hi everyone,

As someone who is still an ingénue in the world of valves and turntables, I would very much value your opinion on what might have caused the following.:

I recently bought a valve preamplifier with reputably an excellent MM phono stage ( a leben rs28cx). I bought it privately, it had been serviced in the past year, and played wonderfully well when I compared it with my graham slee phono stage. It was silent, with some hum from my speakers being from my papworth TVA 10 power amp, and no change on switching the pre amp on / off.

Today I tried changing cartridges to an old Ortofon I had bought on another forum some months back. The headshell cables were a little stiff. I don’t really know what I’m doing yet, but I connected the new cartridge and screwed it in. On switching on the turntable, I initially had sound coming from one speaker only and perhaps a little noise. I thought to tweak the headshell cables, which I did whilst everything was switched on. This caused some noise ,but nothing that sounded damaging. It then played fine, and the cartridge sounded great.

Howerver, on finishing the record, I now find the phono stage is quite noisy when selected, with occasional soft popping sounds and a bit of hum that sounds like when the ground is not connected. Disconnecting the phono cables helps, but not completely. More worryingly, there is now a bit of soft, steady noise audible through the speakers when the preamp is switched on. I’m pretty certain this was absent before, it's not audible when music is playing.

Obviously I will need to go to an appropriate hifi dealer, but any thoughts as to what I might have damaged here? Thanks!

p.s. since buying the preamp, a local dealer explained he had originally sold it to the seller, but that it had some noise/hum in the phono stage. This was definitely not the case when I first got it, so presumably it had been fixed by servicing.
Sounds to me it's old fault has returned and not what you have done. I wouldn't mention it to any repairer.

farflungstar
03-12-2017, 09:09
Have you tried putting the other cart in? Have you switched everything off for a good 5 minutes?

wojtek
03-12-2017, 13:48
Thanks both. Yes sadly did wait and turn it on again. Other inputs still sound great. I’ll check the old cartridge again. What sort of thing goes wrong with valve stages in this way? Many thanks again.

RothwellAudio
03-12-2017, 21:18
It would be pretty difficult to damage a valve phonostage whatever you plugged into it - I wouldn't worry that you have done any harm.
The way to test how quiet it is is to put a pair of shorting plugs into the phono inputs. That will be as quiet as it gets and you can be sure any noise is due to the phonostage rather than the cartridge or tonearm wiring. If you want to eliminate any power amp noise from your investigations, plug a pair of shorting plugs into the power amp inputs and listen to how much noise you have - that will be the base level noise floor of your system. Then try the shorting plugs into the phono inputs of the preamp - that will show you how much additional noise is coming from the preamp. Finally, reconnect the turntable and see how much extra noise there is. That will be due to the turntable/cartridge/tonearm wiring.

wojtek
03-12-2017, 23:25
Thank you!

The good news is that I am just a bit of an idiot: swapped headshells ( to the one I had been using, which has new cables), and lo and behold no noise. Oddly, the noisy one made lots of noise when the tonearm was resting on its rest, even when the turntable wasn't switched on. I've ordered some new leads and will try that.

Listened to some Grieg tonight in the dark once the kids were asleep: glorious. I also experimented with the speaker taps for my 6ohm speakers - I had been using 4 ohm taps, but the 8 ohm taps seem to work better.

I'll try some shorting plugs - thank you that's invaluable advice, I'll work through it. Also reassuring to know I haven't damaged the amp!

hifi_dave
04-12-2017, 12:00
Try cleaning the contact pips on the end of the headshell and also the contacts in the end of the arm.

wojtek
04-12-2017, 13:53
Try cleaning the contact pips on the end of the headshell and also the contacts in the end of the arm.

Thanks Dave -

Is that with alcohol and a cotton swab, or anything else in particular?

Wojtek

hifi_dave
04-12-2017, 14:14
Yes, that is what I would use and push in the contact pins inside the arm, a few times. These are spring loaded and sometimes get stuck, so that they make poor contact.

337alant
04-12-2017, 15:18
Have you got the wiring colour code correct, Ortofon carts are not in the same order the same as others so double check that you definitely have signal and ground to the correct pins.
Try also twisting the leads of each channel together

Alan

wojtek
05-12-2017, 11:57
Thanks Alan and Dave - I’m learning a lot here! Will clean the pins and double check leads although not sure the cartridge is labelled...