PDA

View Full Version : WTD Interesting horn loaded speakers

martinswimmer
01-12-2017, 11:01
Looking for efficient large horn loaded speakers - I was thinking Impulse H2, Ta'us, Horning Agathon, some weird and wonderful DIY concoction?
Reasonable distance from London.

Lawrence001
01-12-2017, 13:02
Seen a nice pair recently, tall and slim with front facing stepped horns at the top and bottom, possibly a frugelhorn design. I think it was on PFM or here, someone said the wife wanted them out of the way and they would do a deal for a quick sale.

VanDerGraaf
01-12-2017, 13:56
Up here in Scotland there are a pair of Horning Agathon Ultimates for sale....there are hugely complimentary reviews of them on 6moons and HiFi Pig if you look. Beautiful speakers made with love by the looks of them.

I think the guy has been trying to sell them for some time and would probably take a good offer.
He does live on an island but it's actually very accessible and I think location is all that has stopped the sale. I have good knowledge of the place in question and would be happy to assist you if need be. I have no connection to the seller.

I know you say reasonable distance from London but sometimes to get the best you have to travel... I do, all the time (hifi seems rare up here)!

martinswimmer
01-12-2017, 14:04
HI, Thanks for this - I've been in touch with him over the last couple of weeks and tried to organise couriers, but to no avail. The gentleman is very reluctant to ship the speakers and for me it would be a journey of more than 9 hours each way. Do you know anyone who could safely ship them down in one go? I'd really appreciate the help.

martinswimmer
01-12-2017, 14:04
Hi, there is a nice pair on PFM - Hedlund horns, but they are in Northern Ireland... Couldn't find anything else that would fit what you described. Thanks anyway ;-)

Sixty2
01-12-2017, 14:59
Horning Eufrodite Ultimate Zigma’s at The Audio Note Lounge, Brighton.

martinswimmer
01-12-2017, 15:09
Horning Eufrodite Ultimate Zigma’s at The Audio Note Lounge, Brighton.

Thanks for this. It would fit the bill perfectly, if it wasn't for the price. Wife imposed a strict 2.5k :-(

walpurgis
01-12-2017, 15:20
Thanks for this. It would fit the bill perfectly, if it wasn't for the price. Wife imposed a strict 2.5k :-(

Just tell her you thought she meant each. :)

martinswimmer
01-12-2017, 15:33
Just tell her you thought she meant each. :)

And that's after I sold some of my stuff and landed 5k! I feel I'm being shortchanged...

lordmortlock
01-12-2017, 16:36
The chap with the Hedlunds does mention delivery and installation for the right buyer

Audio Al
01-12-2017, 16:48
Part ex the wife :)

martinswimmer
01-12-2017, 17:11
The chap with the Hedlunds does mention delivery and installation for the right buyer

Yes, true! Thanks for this. It's 2m tall and I've read somewhere that the bass that comes out of the back loaded horn can be unfashionably late? I'll look into this ;-)

Lawrence001
01-12-2017, 17:35
The pair I was thinking of was about £250 and recently added, they could have been on the wam and then deleted. Will keep looking.

Lawrence001
01-12-2017, 17:41
This was them, found them on hifi shark, horn speakers filtered on UK, expired ads, seem to have been in Boston, maybe someone on here bought them..?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=folded+horn+speakers+for+sale&client=ms-android-huawei&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjb2cSlrenXAhUB7xQKHeZtAaIQ_AUIEigC&biw=360&bih=524#imgrc=N5mc-nQfOFnmJM:

hifinutt
01-12-2017, 17:45
Up here in Scotland there are a pair of Horning Agathon Ultimates for sale....there are hugely complimentary reviews of them on 6moons and HiFi Pig if you look. Beautiful speakers made with love by the looks of them.

I think the guy has been trying to sell them for some time and would probably take a good offer.
He does live on an island but it's actually very accessible and I think location is all that has stopped the sale. I have good knowledge of the place in question and would be happy to assist you if need be. I have no connection to the seller.

I know you say reasonable distance from London but sometimes to get the best you have to travel... I do, all the time (hifi seems rare up here)!

utterly superb speakers , having heard them . i have seen the ad a number of times . i am sure there is a a solution to this problem and its well worth buying them

martinswimmer
01-12-2017, 19:40
utterly superb speakers , having heard them . i have seen the ad a number of times . i am sure there is a a solution to this problem and its well worth buying them

Exactly my thinking. It's just a problem of distance, but I don't seem to have mental capacity to solve it. Any ideas? How can I trust someone to package them and ship carefully - they weigh 68kgs each!

Ninanina
01-12-2017, 20:09
How about a lovely pair of Klipsch Belle's, very very rare in the UK

The best speaker I ever heard was a pair of Klipsch La Scalas which are similar to the Belle's

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-of-Belle-Klipsch-Loudspeakers-in-Laquered-Brazillian-Rosewood/332458679653?hash=item4d6814dd65:g:8EUAAOSwGPxaCHK m

martinswimmer
01-12-2017, 20:33
How about a lovely pair of Klipsch Belle's, very very rare in the UK

The best speaker I ever heard was a pair of Klipsch La Scalas which are similar to the Belle's

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-of-Belle-Klipsch-Loudspeakers-in-Laquered-Brazillian-Rosewood/332458679653?hash=item4d6814dd65:g:8EUAAOSwGPxaCHK m

Hi, it's funny, but I had long exchanges with the gentleman selling it and was seriously considering it. It's just that these speakers seem to polarise people more than Rehdeko speakers. Some like it a lot and some think it's the worst speakers ever made. I've never heard K'horns or Belles or LaScalas. I'm just afraid that they'll be too harsh and not enough bass. Any opinions? I currently have 2 pairs of speakers that I'm happy with - Artemis Eos - very similar to Willson Watt Puppies with external crossovers and ceramic tweeters and Rehdeko RK125 - those love valves. What I like about the Rehdekos is dynamics and that each instrument lives in its separate space - it sounds like there are as many different speakers as there are instruments. So, that type of sound ;-)

Ninanina
01-12-2017, 20:54
Hi, it's funny, but I had long exchanges with the gentleman selling it and was seriously considering it. It's just that these speakers seem to polarise people more than Rehdeko speakers. Some like it a lot and some think it's the worst speakers ever made. I've never heard K'horns or Belles or LaScalas. I'm just afraid that they'll be too harsh and not enough bass. Any opinions? I currently have 2 pairs of speakers that I'm happy with - Artemis Eos - very similar to Willson Watt Puppies with external crossovers and ceramic tweeters and Rehdeko RK125 - those love valves. What I like about the Rehdekos is dynamics and that each instrument lives in its separate space - it sounds like there are as many different speakers as there are instruments. So, that type of sound ;-)

Martin I didn't find the La Scala harsh sounding but I think they really should be used with valves. I owned Heresy's twice and although I liked them I wouldn't own them a third time, however the La Scala's and almost certainly the Belle's are different entirely

The La Scala's that I heard where being driven by a valve amp that was literally falling to bits and they still sounded amazing. I had a loan pair but they were just to big for the room

I would consider those Belle's at £1,800 or offer an absolute bargain

martinswimmer
01-12-2017, 21:02
Martin I didn't find the La Scala harsh sounding but I think they really should be used with valves. I owned Heresy's twice and although I liked them I wouldn't own them a third time, however the La Scala's and almost certainly the Belle's are different entirely

The La Scala's that I heard where being driven by a valve amp that was literally falling to bits and they still sounded amazing. I had a loan pair but they were just to big for the room

I would consider those Belle's at £1,800 or offer an absolute bargain

Thanks for this. That was my thinking as well and I made the guy an offer but we couldn't quite agree on the price and I thought - what happens if I don't like them and would hate to go through selling again... Do you think that the Belles would be a better choice over Agathons? Obviously, 2 different people would say a different thing...

Ninanina
01-12-2017, 21:10
Thanks for this. That was my thinking as well and I made the guy an offer but we couldn't quite agree on the price and I thought - what happens if I don't like them and would hate to go through selling again... Do you think that the Belles would be a better choice over Agathons? Obviously, 2 different people would say a different thing...

Sorry I can't help with Agathons as I've never heard them all I know is that the La Scala made a huge impression on me and if I could fit the Belle's in my room I'd snap them up in a heartbeat, even at the full asking price

martinswimmer
01-12-2017, 21:39
Sorry I can't help with Agathons as I've never heard them all I know is that the La Scala made a huge impression on me and if I could fit the Belle's in my room I'd snap them up in a heartbeat, even at the full asking price

Now you got me thinking... Thanks, very helpful! I'll let you know if I go for them.

5acan
02-12-2017, 06:55
+1 for La Scala
If you are ito DIY try to google Cornscala from Bob Crites.
Easy to built, affordable component (especially the type D based on Faital)
Just buy xover+LF driver from Bob, some local ply and the Faital component and you will have a modern La Scala/Cornwall.
I did built one (quick built) and then a friend came with some Altec and I traded them.
But I will build a pair back as the most impressive speaker I've ever owned (owning now in a small room a pair of Heresy ;-)

martinswimmer
02-12-2017, 11:55
+1 for La Scala
If you are ito DIY try to google Cornscala from Bob Crites.
Easy to built, affordable component (especially the type D based on Faital)
Just buy xover+LF driver from Bob, some local ply and the Faital component and you will have a modern La Scala/Cornwall.
I did built one (quick built) and then a friend came with some Altec and I traded them.
But I will build a pair back as the most impressive speaker I've ever owned (owning now in a small room a pair of Heresy ;-)

Hi, this looks interesting, but only as a future project. How much did it cost you altogether? Thanks!!!

5acan
02-12-2017, 18:04
Drivers are around 750eur
horns are cheap
xover 250$ by Crites
wood...

VanDerGraaf
03-12-2017, 13:26
HI, Thanks for this - I've been in touch with him over the last couple of weeks and tried to organise couriers, but to no avail. The gentleman is very reluctant to ship the speakers and for me it would be a journey of more than 9 hours each way. Do you know anyone who could safely ship them down in one go? I'd really appreciate the help.

Hi Martin,

I'll be visiting the island over the Christmas period to see family. I'm sure I could meet up with the seller to view these and check overall condition on your behalf.
I'm a bit stumped as to who would deliver them for you. There is an island-based delivery service whose vehicles I see on the mainland sometimes- not sure if they venture as far south as London but it may be worth investigating, unfortunately I can't remember their name offhand.

martinswimmer
03-12-2017, 13:59
Hi Martin,

I'll be visiting the island over the Christmas period to see family. I'm sure I could meet up with the seller to view these and check overall condition on your behalf.
I'm a bit stumped as to who would deliver them for you. There is an island-based delivery service whose vehicles I see on the mainland sometimes- not sure if they venture as far south as London but it may be worth investigating, unfortunately I can't remember their name offhand.

Hi Rohan,

Thanks for the offer.
I might just drive there and deal with the situation like a man...
Some people commented that Klipsch speakers are a good bet, it's just when I listen to most of the clips on Youtube (I know it's impossible to tell) - they sound thin. On some videos - they sound fantastic, so difficult to tell.
The Agathons seem to be a better bet.

There are 2 companies doing deliveries - one is Arran Transport and the other one Bannatyne. They wouldn't ship something like speakers...

VanDerGraaf
03-12-2017, 14:53
The ferry is quite cheap, about £30 return.

A couple of decent hotels nearby, you will probably need one with that trip! The Auchrannie is the one I'd go for. Nice place and very close to the ferry.

I had considered those Agathons myself....I have never heard horn-based speakers sadly, it is on my "to do" list!

hifinutt
03-12-2017, 16:15
ah now we are getting somewhere . ian s1 who sadly passed away at a very young age [ he exhibited at scalford a number of times with crimsondonkey] had these agathon ultimates and they were truly awesome . at the time i had logan summit x and i was well impressed with the scale and musicality of these big speakers . hopefully something can be arranged .

i did look briefly at pickfords gold collection service [ they do art collections etc] but i am guessing it would be prohibitively expensive

http://www.pickfords.co.uk/pickfords-gold

martinswimmer
04-12-2017, 17:26
The ferry is quite cheap, about £30 return.

A couple of decent hotels nearby, you will probably need one with that trip! The Auchrannie is the one I'd go for. Nice place and very close to the ferry.

I had considered those Agathons myself....I have never heard horn-based speakers sadly, it is on my "to do" list!

Thanks - I'll be collecting them this week. Should be fun - 20 hours of motorway driving ;-)

martinswimmer
04-12-2017, 17:29
ah now we are getting somewhere . ian s1 who sadly passed away at a very young age [ he exhibited at scalford a number of times with crimsondonkey] had these agathon ultimates and they were truly awesome . at the time i had logan summit x and i was well impressed with the scale and musicality of these big speakers . hopefully something can be arranged .

i did look briefly at pickfords gold collection service [ they do art collections etc] but i am guessing it would be prohibitively expensive

http://www.pickfords.co.uk/pickfords-gold

Thanks, I remember when I sold Wilson Maxx - the piano people came to collect and handled it like a baby. I reckon the price would be close to a grand for such service and delivery from Scotland. I'll be driving myself instead. Maybe play Michel Thomas and learn a new language ;-)

hifinutt
04-12-2017, 17:34
yes , i thought it would be expensive , i really hope you are able to get them

VanDerGraaf
04-12-2017, 23:02
Thanks - I'll be collecting them this week. Should be fun - 20 hours of motorway driving ;-)

That's brilliant Martin.

Somehow I think it will be well worth the effort, I can't imagine these being anything other than fantastic. Hope you have a big car for collection!

martinswimmer
05-12-2017, 14:36
That's brilliant Martin.

Somehow I think it will be well worth the effort, I can't imagine these being anything other than fantastic. Hope you have a big car for collection!

Hi, I think they'll be great. Travelling tonight to reach Ardrossan at around 9am. I don't have a big car, but can lower rear seats, so should be fine. Will report back with impressions, but they look the biz and if they walk as well as they talk...

Ninanina
05-12-2017, 17:42
Hi, I think they'll be great. Travelling tonight to reach Ardrossan at around 9am. I don't have a big car, but can lower rear seats, so should be fine. Will report back with impressions, but they look the biz and if they walk as well as they talk...

Are you getting the Klipsch Martin ?

VanDerGraaf
05-12-2017, 17:49
It's the Agathons he's getting...:thumbsup:

Lawrence001
06-12-2017, 14:45
Should be on his way back now, unless he's stopped over for a sleep. As a serial speaker swapper I await the results with baited breath!

hifinutt
06-12-2017, 18:00
yes exciting stuff , shame he could not pick this up while he was there !!

http://www.hifi-forsale.co.uk/moreinfo.php?prod_title=Pass_Labs_XA_30.5&p=power_amplifier&prod_id=52249&offset=

martinswimmer
07-12-2017, 10:36
What an adventure... Left home at midnight, drove throughout the night and got to Ardrossan at 8am. Then found out that the hurricane was already there! The ferry company issue amber alert which means that they were considering stopping the sailings because of the high winds. They warned me that in case of the cancelled sailing back - I'd be stuck at the Isle of Arran for days. The island itself is massive - I believe over 50 miles around. Very green, windy and wet. Got the speakers!!! They sound fantastic. The seller played some stuff on a CD ?!? and even that sounded great. Got back at 1:30am, so still recovering. I need to set them up, but that involves a flight of stairs, so will have to wait until tonight. Will keep you all posted. BTW - these things are beautifully made! On par with SF Extrema. Even when you look underneath where the firing cavity is - it's all nicely finished. A real product of love. Will keep you all posted!

martinswimmer
07-12-2017, 10:39
yes exciting stuff , shame he could not pick this up while he was there !!

http://www.hifi-forsale.co.uk/moreinfo.php?prod_title=Pass_Labs_XA_30.5&p=power_amplifier&prod_id=52249&offset=

That Pass Labs amp was the one driving the Agathons! Sounded good, but I can't judge an amplifier on the basis of 5 minutes listening, especially when the speakers and the source are unfamiliar to me.

martinswimmer
07-12-2017, 10:42
Are you getting the Klipsch Martin ?

Hi, decided to go for the Agathons and avoid a domestic dispute. I'd still very much like to hear the Klipsch one day, but this made so much sense (except for the mad journey that I'd like to avoid in future).

walpurgis
07-12-2017, 10:42
Blimey! 800 mile round trip to pick up a pair of speakers? That's dedication. :)

martinswimmer
07-12-2017, 10:47
It's the Agathons he's getting...:thumbsup:

Got them! Thanks for your encouragement. The Isle of Arran is stunning. What a contrast compared to the mainland. Pity that the weather was rubbish and the rain was just incessant. I was trying to get back to Ardrossan ASAP as the things were about to get very serious. Actually, I sailed a 30ft boat from Troon to Milford Haven a couple of years ago and very well remember the waves and the wind ;-). Will report back when I get the speakers hooked up!

paulf-2007
07-12-2017, 11:52
I've experienced something like that journey, drove from Kent to Jonny walker in Kilmarnock, all day, then worked all night and drive back in the morning. I was a bit crafty, I drove the first hundred miles through the twisty roads with hood scenery then my mate took over at the motorway, it was hell trying to stay awake so we took it in turns and the passenger made sandwiches as we went along and this helped keep us alert. Those Hornings were worth the trip I reckon,

martinswimmer
07-12-2017, 13:08
I've experienced something like that journey, drove from Kent to Jonny walker in Kilmarnock, all day, then worked all night and drive back in the morning. I was a bit crafty, I drove the first hundred miles through the twisty roads with hood scenery then my mate took over at the motorway, it was hell trying to stay awake so we took it in turns and the passenger made sandwiches as we went along and this helped keep us alert. Those Hornings were worth the trip I reckon,

Yep, long journeys and driving on motorways solo are best avoided.... Just noticed your tonearm and cartridge - I have both (short version UA7) ! The Stax is easily my fav tonearm. I've not tried many other unipivot designs but this really is a gem. Also Shure Ultra 500 is a lovely cartridge for a MM! What are the Omens like?

agk
07-12-2017, 13:41
Oddly Martin I can't see the pictures you've taken to share with us in the gallery.
;-)

Audio Al
07-12-2017, 14:22
Glad it all went well for you , when you have them set up we need lots of photos

:worthless:

:christmas:

martinswimmer
07-12-2017, 14:30
Glad it all went well for you , when you have them set up we need lots of photos

:worthless:

Sure, just need to find that ultra wide lens to accommodate its svelte figure. These speakers are massive - not that they are particularly tall - but they are very deep and seem to suck the space out of the room.

paulf-2007
07-12-2017, 15:38
Yep, long journeys and driving on motorways solo are best avoided.... Just noticed your tonearm and cartridge - I have both (short version UA7) ! The Stax is easily my fav tonearm. I've not tried many other unipivot designs but this really is a gem. Also Shure Ultra 500 is a lovely cartridge for a MM! What are the Omens like?
I have a UA-7 as well, bought it after the 70 for a project, when I get round to it. Yes definitely the best tone arm I've had. The ultra is all I need. The omens sound great in my small treated room. Deep bass is tuneable by raising or lowering the speakers on the spikes, I use the blunt ones not the pointy ones on concrete slabs covered with velvet, purpose made. A friend of mine with oris horns and huge bass cabinets visited me and admitted that he was very surprised how good it sounds considering the small room but couldn't find much wrong at all.

Lawrence001
07-12-2017, 16:02
I have a UA-7 as well, bought it after the 70 for a project, when I get round to it. Yes definitely the best tone arm I've had. The ultra is all I need. The omens sound great in my small treated room. Deep bass is tuneable by raising or lowering the speakers on the spikes, I use the blunt ones not the pointy ones on concrete slabs covered with velvet, purpose made. A friend of mine with oris horns and huge bass cabinets visited me and admitted that he was very surprised how good it sounds considering the small room but couldn't find much wrong at all.Do they need plenty of room at the back given the bass speakers seem to be located there, or is the main output from the horn in the base?

Sent from my NEM-L51 using Tapatalk

paulf-2007
07-12-2017, 16:51
Do they need plenty of room at the back given the bass speakers seem to be located there, or is the main output from the horn in the base?

Sent from my NEM-L51 using TapatalkNo. mine have a foot or so and less from the side walls. I guess it comes from the base as adjusting up or down makes a huge difference, sometimes to the point I think they are broken. When I got them they sounded awful until I spoke to the previous owner and he explained how to tune them. I don't think I would part with them. I have no desire to change anything tbh.

The bass speaker is a full range with a tweeter helper, I use " full " loosely of course and its at the front above the tweeter.

paulf-2007
07-12-2017, 16:57
Do they need plenty of room at the back given the bass speakers seem to be located there, or is the main output from the horn in the base?

Sent from my NEM-L51 using TapatalkJust realised you are asking about Hornings :lol:

hifinutt
07-12-2017, 17:39
Got them! Thanks for your encouragement. The Isle of Arran is stunning. What a contrast compared to the mainland. Pity that the weather was rubbish and the rain was just incessant. I was trying to get back to Ardrossan ASAP as the things were about to get very serious. Actually, I sailed a 30ft boat from Troon to Milford Haven a couple of years ago and very well remember the waves and the wind ;-). Will report back when I get the speakers hooked up!

so pleased you could get them

Lawrence001
07-12-2017, 20:22
Doh, and you were talking about your Zu's. It's a question for Martin then!

martinswimmer
07-12-2017, 23:40
Doh, and you were talking about your Zu's. It's a question for Martin then!

LOL! I thought you were asking Paul. Just listening to the speakers now - will reply when I gather impressions ;-)

Lawrence001
08-12-2017, 08:07
LOL! I thought you were asking Paul. Just listening to the speakers now - will reply when I gather impressions ;-)I was, I thought he already had a pair, I got a bit mixed up

paulf-2007
08-12-2017, 08:53
I was, I thought he already had a pair, I got a bit mixed up

So you thought I had Hornings,

Audio Al
08-12-2017, 14:57
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ujgw0q69lcp94bv/horning1.JPG
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wypvf74b8abbmi1/horning.JPG

Nice blue sq's :scratch:

martinswimmer
08-12-2017, 15:00
Nice blue sq's :scratch:

I wish I knew how to upload images...

martinswimmer
08-12-2017, 15:02

Audio Al
08-12-2017, 15:05
You do know , What speakers are the new ones ? :)

martinswimmer
08-12-2017, 15:33
You do know , What speakers are the new ones ? :)

Well, both are new but the smaller ones are a vintage copy of Elipson 1303. 1970s, I think.