PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for an amp to suit my Tannoy Berkeleys?

mikeyb
27-11-2017, 13:39
Hi,

BUDGET £2000 or thereabouts ( Prefer less of course lol )

Looking primarily for a Luxman 550aii, however I would consider a good valve integrated such as a WAD KT88 XL or similar.

Or...... an integrated with a really good built in phono stage and perhaps an onboard DAC too.

Yeah I know those choices are a bit all over the place, but I currently have a couple of valve power amps on loan and I'm liking what I hear, would just prefer to lower box count hence the integrated want.

The Perreaux 150i that killie99 is selling looks interesting too, so something like that could be a possibility.

Sorry for the mix of wants, but until I'm offered anything I won't know what to go for [emoji6]

Thanks,

Mike.

Ali Tait
27-11-2017, 15:45
Mike, there’s a Krell KSA 100 Series 2 for sale on PFM, could be good with the Tannoys?

montesquieu
27-11-2017, 15:49
Mike, there’s a Krell KSA 100 Series 2 for sale on PFM, could be good with the Tannoys?

Wouldn't recommend it. KSA50 my MGs sound flat and boring. Sucked all the life out of them.

I would recommend this though:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Woodside-Rennaissance-sta50-valve-amplifier-radford-revival-serviced/253234456969?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Ali Tait
27-11-2017, 15:50
There’s this too-

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/for-sale-icon-audio-stereo-30-se-integrated-valve-amplifier-preowned.208877/

Ali Tait
27-11-2017, 15:51
Wouldn't recommend it. KSA50 my MGs sound flat and boring. Sucked all the life out of them.

I would recommend this though:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Woodside-Rennaissance-sta50-valve-amplifier-radford-revival-serviced/253234456969?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Yes read that before, but the 100 is a different beast is it not?

Woodside looks a good shout.

walpurgis
27-11-2017, 15:59
Creek Destiny 2. Bags of power and flawless sound. Very classy!

montesquieu
27-11-2017, 17:11
There’s this too-

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/for-sale-icon-audio-stereo-30-se-integrated-valve-amplifier-preowned.208877/

Hmm. Single ended. Probably not.

lordmortlock
27-11-2017, 17:18
How about one of these bad boys? If darth Vader designed an integrated ...

http://www.annunci.net/isernia/audio-tv-video/graaf-gm50b-mk-ii-integrated-amplifier-2109503

montesquieu
27-11-2017, 17:23
How about one of these bad boys? If darth Vader designed an integrated ...

http://www.annunci.net/isernia/audio-tv-video/graaf-gm50b-mk-ii-integrated-amplifier-2109503

Nice. I always fancied checking out a Graaf and that's a decent price.

The original Darth Vader amp was this one though (I had one it wasn't half bad, though it did get VERY hot):

http://www.audiocostruzioni.com/r_s/ampli/amplificatori/michaelson-audio/odysseus.jpg

Though it spawned an army of clones:

http://www.equinoxpartners.co.uk/assets/Uploads/MF-Chronos-web.png

Bigman80
27-11-2017, 17:26
That amp in the link looks the bollocks. No idea what it is but it just wowed in the looks department

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

montesquieu
27-11-2017, 17:33
That amp in the link looks the bollocks. No idea what it is but it just wowed in the looks department

Same brand as the Odysseus, Michaelson Audio Chronos. Never heard one unfortunately. As with the Odysseus, Tim de Paravicini had a hand in the (electronics) design.

Bigman80
27-11-2017, 17:33
Should be worthy of a listen then!

lordmortlock
27-11-2017, 17:35
Out Vadered! Jeez!! :lol:

mikeyb
27-11-2017, 18:53
Wow, thanks for all the recommendations, I've actually been offered an Ear Yoshino 8L6 integrated, and I do know that Tom said this would be a great match.

Seriously tempted just to go for it even though I've never heard one.

I'd still be keen to try the Luxman and I'd be lying if it wasn't just for the sound [emoji6]

The valve amps mentioned look the business too, in fact I'm listening to Grants old WAD EL84 Power Amp with his Promitheus Pre Amp right now as I type and that sounds pretty good, I ended up browsing the World Audio Designs website last night looking at the KT88 XL integrated amp which looks very good on the reviews I found.

Arghhh decisions decisions [emoji848]

montesquieu
27-11-2017, 20:09
Wow, thanks for all the recommendations, I've actually been offered an Ear Yoshino 8L6 integrated, and I do know that Tom said this would be a great match.

I'd still be keen to try the Luxman and I'd be lying if it wasn't just for the sound [emoji6]

The valve amps mentioned look the business too, in fact I'm listening to Grants old WAD EL84 Power Amp with his Promitheus Pre Amp right now as I type and that sounds pretty good, I ended up browsing the World Audio Designs website last night looking at the KT88 XL integrated amp which looks very good on the reviews I found.

I would go for the EAR, you won't be disappointed. Perfect match for the big Tannoys.

Ali Tait
27-11-2017, 20:12
The WD KT88 would be a good choice Mike. I’d build it for you no problem.

struth
27-11-2017, 20:12
Ear we go again [emoji23]

montesquieu
27-11-2017, 20:16
The WD KT88 would be a good choice Mike. I’d build it for you no problem.

I borrowed one for a bit a few years back. I don't think the WAD KT88 is as good a KT88 amp (in the grand scheme of things) as the WAD EL84 is an EL 84 amp (if you get my drift). The EAR uses the same circuit as all the big Tim de Paravicini amps, the main difference between them is features (balanced connections etc) and a fancy faceplate.

Ali Tait
27-11-2017, 20:24
Mike, still think the best bang for your buck would be to ask Nick to build you something.

Bigman80
27-11-2017, 21:04
Mike, still think the best bang for your buck would be to ask Nick to build you something.It's hard to argue with that. Nick is the man to turn to in these situations. Such a nice guy too.

brian2957
27-11-2017, 21:10
Agreed , Nick will build you something a bit special .

mikeyb
27-11-2017, 21:43
Jeezo 3 pages already, thanks everyone for contributing, I'm still not sure which way to go, the idea of getting Nick to build something might be an option but not sure if that would be better value than say the secondhand 8L6 that is being offered at well under my budget.

brian2957
27-11-2017, 21:47
Mike , try and get a listen to Gary's amp . Nick built it , and it sounds stunning .

mikeyb
27-11-2017, 21:56
Mike , try and get a listen to Gary's amp . Nick built it , and it sounds stunning .

Funnily enough, I've just been reading the thread on here about his phono stage that Nick built way back in 2010, I'll search for the amp too ;)

Ali Tait
27-11-2017, 23:55
That amp is the best 300b I’ve heard, regardless of price. And that’s with EH’s, not the Elrogs Gaz has in it now, not heard those yet.

montesquieu
28-11-2017, 00:32
That amp is the best 300b I’ve heard, regardless of price. And that’s with EH’s, not the Elrogs Gaz has in it now, not heard those yet.

Push pull I hope. Single ended 300b and 15 in Tannoys - especially HPDs - is a recipe for disappointment (if not disaster) no matter how well done the amps are. It’s a complete mismatch.

Ali Tait
28-11-2017, 09:11
Not what I’m suggesting Tom, my point was for Mike to get a listen to what Nick is capable of building.

Marco
28-11-2017, 09:16
Too many choices, Mikey... You're going to just end up being confused!

My advice would be to listen to folk who've owned Tannoys for years, and have used them with a number of different amps, such as Tom. Every amp he's recommended on here so far has been spot on - and that's because he knows what he's talking about.

And yes, Tannoy DCs will work best with a P/P valve amp. If you want Nick to build you one, then I'm sure that the SET master won't turn to stone, by going over to 'the dark side' just this once! ;)

In this instance though, I'd be just as inclined to recommend Will: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?48224-A-Power-Amp-for-Paul

My advice, however, would be to have something bespoke built for you, from any of the EEs mentioned, and not waste your money on a commercial design, as you simply won't end up with anything near as good that way.

Let one of our registered EEs spend your money wisely on where it matters MOST: the internals, and trust me, you'll be a very happy bunny!!

Marco.

Bigman80
28-11-2017, 09:44

My advice would be to listen to folk who've owned Tannoys for years, and have used them with a number of different amps, such as Tom. Every amp he's recommended on here so far has been spot on - and that's because he knows what he's talking about.

And yes, Tannoy DCs will work best with a P/P valve amp. If you want Nick to build you one, then I'm sure that the SET master won't turn to stone, by going over to 'the dark side' just this once! ;)

In this instance though, I'd be just as inclined to recommend Will: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?48224-A-Power-Amp-for-Paul

My advice, however, would be to have something bespoke built for you, from any of the EEs mentioned, and not waste your money on a commercial design, as you simply won't end up with anything near as good that way.

Let one of our registered EEs spend your money wisely on where it matters MOST: the internals, and trust me, you'll be a very happy bunny!!

Marco.Well after reading that thread start to finish I'm sold on the idea!!!!

Marco
28-11-2017, 09:46
Valve amp design doesn't get much better, Oliver. And Will (like Nick) is a smashing chap to deal with.

Marco.

Bigman80
28-11-2017, 09:55
Valve amp design doesn't get much better, Oliver. And Will (like Nick) is a smashing chap to deal with.

Marco.I wasn't looking at new amps, Marco!!!. You've now created intrigue !!! [emoji848]

Naughty. Lol

Get one Mikey and let me know how good it is[emoji23]

mikeyb
28-11-2017, 11:00
Bastards the lot o ye [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

I have to say though it's exactly what I was hoping for as far ideas go anyway. I don't mind the variety of info as it keeps me from being bored and I'm learning as I go [emoji4]

Right now I'm listening to a Spotify Blues playlist via my SoTm SMS 200 streamer, Caiman SEG DAC, Promitheus pre amp into the WAD EL84 amp and it's all sounding pretty good, better than my vinyl side too but that's another issue I've yet to conquer.

I don't mind if I have to go back to square 1, as long as I get to square 100 I'll be happy. I think if I'd kept some of the gear I've sold I'd be closer mind you, but hey ho that's life lol.

The only bits of gear that ain't going anywhere are my Tannoys, the 1210 Turntable and Fidelity Research Arm and Paul Hynes PSU, the SoTm streamer, everything else is a potential casualty in the hunt for MY audio heaven.

So my list of needs/wants are really....

Amplifier ( Pre/Power, Integrated, Valve or SS - whichever sounds best )

Cartridge

DAC ( unless I can't improve on the SEG )

Having just come off the phone with a fellow Scottish Mafia member whilst I was typing this reply, plans are in the making, so at the moment no firm decisions regarding any purchases will be made until those plans either come to fruition or fail [emoji6]

Mods feel free to move this into a discussion section rather than a 'wanted' thread on the classifieds

Thanks,

Mike.

Ali Tait
28-11-2017, 11:01

Marco.

Yes have to agree with this. Nick does build PP amps too. :-)

Marco
28-11-2017, 11:10
Mods feel free to move this into a discussion section rather than a 'wanted' thread on the classifieds

Good idea! Now done (edited title slightly to reflect the change), and good luck on your quest :)

Btw, the bits you're keeping for defo are all wise moves.

Marco.

DAVEDWACK
28-11-2017, 11:44
Bastards the lot o ye [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

I have to say though it's exactly what I was hoping for as far ideas go anyway. I don't mind the variety of info as it keeps me from being bored and I'm learning as I go [emoji4]

Right now I'm listening to a Spotify Blues playlist via my SoTm SMS 200 streamer, Caiman SEG DAC, Promitheus pre amp into the WAD EL84 amp and it's all sounding pretty good, better than my vinyl side too but that's another issue I've yet to conquer.

I don't mind if I have to go back to square 1, as long as I get to square 100 I'll be happy. I think if I'd kept some of the gear I've sold I'd be closer mind you, but hey ho that's life lol.

The only bits of gear that ain't going anywhere are my Tannoys, the 1210 Turntable and Fidelity Research Arm and Paul Hynes PSU, the SoTm streamer, everything else is a potential casualty in the hunt for MY audio heaven.

So my list of needs/wants are really....

Amplifier ( Pre/Power, Integrated, Valve or SS - whichever sounds best )

Cartridge

DAC ( unless I can't improve on the SEG )

Having just come off the phone with a fellow Scottish Mafia member whilst I was typing this reply, plans are in the making, so at the moment no firm decisions regarding any purchases will be made until those plans either come to fruition or fail [emoji6]

Thanks,

Mike.
Hi Mike,
As you have listed your needs/wants as well as the Quad Integrated which I pm'd you about, I also have a ZYX R100 cartridge surplus to requirements.

Cheers.....Dave

P.S. Mods, I hope I've broken no rules here, as the thread is no longer in the classifieds but I'm just responding to Mike's response.

mikeyb
28-11-2017, 14:41
Good idea! Now done (edited title slightly to reflect the change), and good luck on your quest :)

Btw, the bits you're keeping for defo are all wise moves.

Marco.Thanks for the move [emoji6]

Plenty to think about for sure, I think I've gotten a better idea of where to go for one of the needs. But I'll check a few more things before proceeding.

wee tee cee
28-11-2017, 16:00
After our wee chat....how did ye get on!!!!

mikeyb
28-11-2017, 17:11
After our wee chat....how did ye get on!!!!I'm nearly bald [emoji23]

wee tee cee
28-11-2017, 18:11
How did you get on with the temple mono blocks?

forsell
28-11-2017, 18:34

Go straight to a s/h EAR 861 and you are done mate... a better choice with Tannoys than 8L6. IMO.

montesquieu
28-11-2017, 18:38
Go straight to a s/h EAR 861 and you are done mate... a better choice with Tannoys than 8L6. IMO.

.. at double the price of course. I'm not at all convinced it's double the value. I sold mine on.

forsell
28-11-2017, 19:30
.. at double the price of course. I'm not at all convinced it's double the value. I sold mine on.

Can be found here in Germany s/h for around 2400-2700 Euro in mint condition. I doubt that someone will be prepared to sell a 8L6 in mint condition for 1200-1300 Euro...

mikeyb
28-11-2017, 20:29
How did you get on with the temple mono blocks?I tried them but not as good the valve monoblocks you loaned me. In fact I've left the monoblocks in just now and using my Xiang Sheng Pre to control them and sounding pretty good.

A new to me Cartridge on its way here tomorrow, Vivant Phono stage in the post Thursday for upgrading by Firebottle.

All I need now is to decide which amp to go for. I just need forsell to send me an EAR 861 at my budget and I'll be sorted [emoji4]

Bigman80
28-11-2017, 20:47
Mikey, at the risk of upsetting the apple cart, there is no way I'd be making any decisions with the Chinese pre at the helm. I know they are very good value and produce good sound, but are they really going to allow the quality to flow from the front end to the amps?

Are you going to use it going forward? If not, I would suggest re auditioning the amps after you've got your pre sorted.

forsell
28-11-2017, 20:49
Haha... here we go...

https://www.hifishark.com/search?q=ear+861

You have to be patient, they pop up from time to time. But take care, offers UNDER 2000 Eur are scams only. What about checking out Papworth TVA10 ? 50 p/p watts in a stainless steel chassis with roots in Michaelson Austin TVA 10, factory new for under 2000. Just give Eddy Fincham a call and you will see -maybe he can send a demo unit...

mikeyb
28-11-2017, 23:31
Mikey, at the risk of upsetting the apple cart, there is no way I'd be making any decisions with the Chinese pre at the helm. I know they are very good value and produce good sound, but are they really going to allow the quality to flow from the front end to the amps?

Are you going to use it going forward? If not, I would suggest re auditioning the amps after you've got your pre sorted.

I’ve a pair of valve monoblocks, a WAD Power amp, a T Amp, a pair of Temple Monoblocks as well as my EWA m50 power amp to play about with so don’t worry. I also have a selection of Pre Amps too - a Prometheus TVC, a Tisbury, a BTE and the Xiang Sheng, so a bit of a mixture.

I’m still thinking integrated to cut down on boxes especially if I go for a valve integrated as I’d need to reduce the box count in my unit to allow more airflow or else I’m going have to get a lower unit to sit amp on at a low level and then fit a wall shelf for the turntable above that. I also have to fit in a DAC an SoTm streamer, my Paul Haynes SR7 PSU for the turntable and the HDPLex PSU that powers the SoTm and the DAC.

I feel like I’m rowing against the wind with the anchor down [emoji23]

walpurgis
28-11-2017, 23:36
Try the Promitheus with the WAD (hope it's a 5881).

Bigman80
28-11-2017, 23:44
I’ve a pair of valve monoblocks, a WAD Power amp, a T Amp, a pair of Temple Monoblocks as well as my EWA m50 power amp to play about with so don’t worry. I also have a selection of Pre Amps too - a Prometheus TVC, a Tisbury, a BTE and the Xiang Sheng, so a bit of a mixture.

I’m still thinking integrated to cut down on boxes especially if I go for a valve integrated as I’d need to reduce the box count in my unit to allow more airflow or else I’m going have to get a lower unit to sit amp on at a low level and then fit a wall shelf for the turntable above that. I also have to fit in a DAC an SoTm streamer, my Paul Haynes SR7 PSU for the turntable and the HDPLex PSU that powers the SoTm and the DAC.

I feel like I’m rowing against the wind with the anchor down [emoji23]Fair enough [emoji23]

What about a Pathos? Valves, Integrated, powerful and beautifully made?

walpurgis
28-11-2017, 23:57
I see nobody has commented on my rather 'leftfield' suggestion of the Creek Destiny 2. Has anybody here actually heard one?

Bigman80
29-11-2017, 00:20
I see nobody has commented on my rather 'leftfield' suggestion of the Creek Destiny 2. Has anybody here actually heard one?Nope, how was it?

forsell
29-11-2017, 00:25
Fair enough [emoji23]

What about a Pathos? Valves, Integrated, powerful and beautifully made?

No, hybrid design, valves in driver stage only, MOS-FETs in the output stage. Ítalian design, italian sound... ;-)

walpurgis
29-11-2017, 00:28
Nope, how was it?

In my system. Remarkable actually. No character that you can pin down. Just 'everythings there' and no nasties. Completely clean, mega transparency and neutrality, grip and obviously power. Very impressive.

My mate has just bought it to try with his modified Tannoy MG Chatsworths, which he normally uses with an EAR 861. He's very chuffed with it.

Bigman80
29-11-2017, 00:29
No, hybrid design, valves in driver stage only, MOS-FETs in the output stage. Ítalian design, italian sound... ;-)It has valves though. Hybrid yes. What's wrong with Italian sound?

Bigman80
29-11-2017, 00:29
In my system. Remarkable actually. No character that you can pin down. Just 'everythings there' and no nasties. Completely clean, mega transparency and neutrality, grip and obviously power. Very impressive.

My mate has just bought one to try with his modified Tannoy MG Chatsworths, which he normally uses with an EAR 861. He's very chuffed with it.Great stuff! So why hasn't Mikey bought one yet!!!!!!!!! [emoji6]

forsell
29-11-2017, 00:53
It has valves though. Hybrid yes. What's wrong with Italian sound?

I heard this amp earlier this year at a dealers demo here in Berlin -can't say which one exactly this was but retail price for this one we were listening to in Germany is 4800 Eur hence definitely NOT one from the entry level. Me and my good audio fellow found it rather boring. It didn't have the warm, rich presentation of a good valve amp, neither the precision and control of good solid state design. Sort of "mixed bag". A Prima Luna amp it was auditioned against sounded to our ears better -at half the price. I

Bigman80
29-11-2017, 00:55
I heard this amp earlier this year at a dealers demo here in Berlin -can't say which one exactly this was but retail price for this one we were listening to in Germany is 4800 Eur hence definitely NOT one from the entry level. Me and my good audio fellow found it rather boring. It didn't have the warm, rich presentation of a good valve amp, neither the precision and control of good solid state design. Sort of "mixed bag". A Prima Luna amp it was auditioned against sounded to our ears better -at half the price. IFair enough. Can't argue with that. Personal experience is always the best insight.

forsell
29-11-2017, 01:24
Fair enough. Can't argue with that. Personal experience is always the best insight.

Keep in mind when looking out for an amp for Tannoys with big cones that valve amps and solid state amps have different output characteristic regarding "damping factor". As a rule of thumb: valve amps have relatively low to modest damping factor (<10 if memory serves me right) with solid state amps you get a considerably higher damping factor, Accuphase achieves a damping factor of nealy 500 for example. Higher damping factor does NOT mean that the amp sounds better. But for some reason some LS work better with amps with a lower damping factor, others prefer higher damping factor to control better LS cone movement.
There is certainly additional information to find on the web, what kind of amps (low-high damping factor) Tannoys with 12 inch cone better work with.

wee tee cee
29-11-2017, 05:02
Mike....calm yer jets.

Have a good play with all the kit I loaned you before you spend any money!!!

The tannoys are still bedding in.

You have just discovered the disease that is tubes!!!!

Take your time listen to some tunes you love and systematically swap boxes and wires-trust your ears.

Colins help is invaluable.....just hang fire till you've tried the EWA pre with the M50.

mikeyb
29-11-2017, 08:09
Rather than reply to each of the last few posts individually I'll try and answer most of them here.

Pathos amp - Jerry put me off this ages ago, coloured I think he said. Love the looks of them though but in all honesty too big to accommodate anyway.

Promitheus and WAD - tried, liked, but Promitheus too much gain and big volume steps, hum when using Vinyl side ( not entirely the pre's fault mind you, efforts to cure this are ongoing ;) )

Creek Destiny 2 - did like the look of these when they first appeared, nearly borrowed one from Audio Emotion when they had a used one for sale, it's back on my radar.

Damping factor - I think that's why my EWA M-50 Power Amp brought my PMC 21's to life so I know it's important.

EWA M-50 Pre Amp - won't make any decisions in haste and will definitely be waiting to hear the M50 Pre/Power combo before I buy anything.

Tony - don't worry, I've done more swapping this last few days than I did when I was a member of the caravan club*
* I made this up, I've never been a Caravan Club member [emoji23]

wee tee cee
29-11-2017, 08:56
that last line nearly put my back out.....

Sort the gain issue, ask Gary for help on the digital side....I can drop him a text to PM you if that helps!

wee tee cee
29-11-2017, 09:00
Pinged gary a wee text.

mikeyb
29-11-2017, 09:06
that last line nearly put my back out.....

Sort the gain issue, ask Gary for help on the digital side....I can drop him a text to PM you if that helps!

I’ll check and see if I have the Prometheus wired correctly, I just went of images on internet.

walpurgis
29-11-2017, 09:12
I’ll check and see if I have the Prometheus wired correctly, I just went of images on internet.

I currently have one of those fronting my system feeding a Quad 306 driving my KEF's, it sounds way better than you'd expect. The Tannoys are having a rest at the moment, along with my other amps.

wee tee cee
29-11-2017, 09:31
you might be running it wide open.....never even thought!!!

If memory serves i was running a headphone amp off it using a line out....

mikeyb
29-11-2017, 10:01
I currently have one of those fronting my system feeding a Quad 306 driving my KEF's, it sounds way better than you'd expect. The Tannoys are having a rest at the moment, along with my other amps.

Hi Geoff,

There are no markings on the rear of this one so I’ve no doubt wired it wrong [emoji20]

It used to belong to Grant so I’ll wake him up and ask him for any info [emoji23]

walpurgis
29-11-2017, 10:07
If it's the basic version. With the front of the unit facing you, the two sockets to the right rear are outputs and the remainder inputs. Input 1 is far left if I recall. Simple! :)

walpurgis
29-11-2017, 10:14
It's this one.

http://i64.tinypic.com/9897ac.jpg

struth
29-11-2017, 10:20
Its the mk1 with the dual mono trannies and a toggle at back for 2 inputs.

walpurgis
29-11-2017, 10:25
Its the mk1 with the dual mono trannies and a toggle at back for 2 inputs.

No toggle switch here.

mikeyb
29-11-2017, 11:05
If it's the basic version. With the front of the unit facing you, the two sockets to the right rear are outputs and the remainder inputs. Input 1 is far left if I recall. Simple! :)

Aye, that’s how I have it wired, it doesn’t go well with the Monoblocks Tony gave me to try ( they do well with the Xiang Pre ) but it goes well with the WAD as Grant used it, it’s with this combo that I get loads of hum with volume up, and that’s with components well apart, but this is ok for test purposes as it’s so much more ballsy than the monoblocks.

I can only get the monoblocks ‘going’ with the active pre.

Going to plumb my m50 power amp back in later IF I can be bothered as all the switching back and forth is now getting me down, but I figure it’s a necessary evil to get to where I want to be, so I’ll plod on [emoji6]

Only thing I’ve never tried believe it or not was my TQ Claymore amp on the Tannoys, I only ever tried it as a Pre as I had the M50 power amp, now with me looking to drop the number of boxes and have an Amp with built in DAC, phono stage and remote control, you just know I’m now kicking myself for selling it without at least trying it, that’s the danger of trying so many different options I suppose, you miss what’s staring you right in the face [emoji23]

Mind you the M50 pre amp that Colin is going to send me try should outdo the Claymore pre stage and I do know the M50 power amp is a cracker.

That 8L6 is still calling though my only issue will be where to put it with limited space between the speakers and the others boxes.

walpurgis
29-11-2017, 11:42
Hmm. I get no hum at all with the Promitheus. Cable issue maybe?

mikeyb
29-11-2017, 11:47
Hmm. I get no hum at all with the Promitheus. Cable issue maybe?

Yeah probably it’s a mess of cable back there just now, my arm seems to need grounding too because I can reduce the hum quite a bit by touching the head shell and the screws holding the armboard at the same time. Decca Gold cartridge, need I say more lol.

It’s not really too intrusive during playback, only between tracks.

Edit: it’s definitely on the turntable side, I get no hum on digital playback from the DAC.

wee tee cee
29-11-2017, 15:02
You want a tq claymore to try you can borrow one of mine for a bit.

I will get that balanced mains box over and we can see if that helps too.

Take yer time man....ffs wait for EWA pre to arrive and properly try it with the M50.

We could even blag the wee fellas croft pre/power and try that!!!

mikeyb
29-11-2017, 17:52
Currently listening to Creedence Clearwater Revival lossless files using the Promitheus Pre and WAD power amp with SoTm streamer into SEG DAC and it’s sounding excellent, if any other amp sounds better then I’m buying it [emoji6]

But I’ll tell you one thing it can’t do right and that’s dirty heavy guitars, they just sound a mess [emoji20]

walpurgis
29-11-2017, 17:56
I thought you'd like that combo :)

Bigman80
29-11-2017, 17:58
Currently listening to Creedence Clearwater Revival lossless files using the Promitheus Pre and WAD power amp with SoTm streamer into SEG DAC and it’s sounding excellent, if any other amp sounds better then I’m buying it [emoji6]

But I’ll tell you one thing it can’t do right and that’s dirty heavy guitars, they just sound a mess [emoji20]It's not a keeper then. Got to get that sound downright filthy and clean.

Rolling stone - can't you hear me knocking

Great track to test filth

Bigman80
29-11-2017, 18:08
https://youtu.be/byWfVndsNFc

Here you go, Mikey. I named this video for you [emoji6]

mikeyb
29-11-2017, 18:10
It's not a keeper then. Got to get that sound downright filthy and clean.

Rolling stone - can't you hear me knocking

Great track to test filth

Sent from my EVA-L09 using TapatalkI'll try that one shortly [emoji4]

What I should also say is that none of the gear I have on loan just now will be keepers for me, they are on loan just to get a feel and a taste for different amps, valves, T, SS, to see which works best with my speakers.

Bigman80
29-11-2017, 18:22
I'll try that one shortly [emoji4]

What I should also say is that none of the gear I have on loan just now will be keepers for me, they are on loan just to get a feel and a taste for different amps, valves, T, SS, to see which works best with my speakers.I see. It's a PITA sometimes isn't it, this obsession lol

mikeyb
29-11-2017, 18:24
I see. It's a PITA sometimes isn't it, this obsession lol

Sent from my EVA-L09 using TapatalkIt sure is, I'm getting closer though, pretty sure by the time this thread gets to about page 40967 I should be sorted [emoji23]

Bigman80
29-11-2017, 18:29
It sure is, I'm getting closer though, pretty sure by the time this thread gets to about page 40967 I should be sorted [emoji23]🤣🤣🤣. If you can collect (I know it's a massive distance) and can lend me an amp, youre more than welcome to loan the Firebottle Monoblocks I have here.

I don't know much about what it takes to drive Tannoys but they make everything I've tried sound good.

Gazjam
29-11-2017, 19:45
Mikey,
The Tannoys are quite efficient arent they?

If so, get some quality 300B SET valve watts running up ‘em would be my advice.
The Nick Gorham design and build SET amp I have is a bit special and (without wanting to sound wanky) would probably recalibrate how you think your Tannoys could sound.

Not cheap, especially with good valves, but an investment and short of a lottery win the last amp you’d buy.

Happy to help mate with the Digital side as and when.

mikeyb
29-11-2017, 22:56
Mikey,

The Nick Gorham design and build SET amp I have is a bit special and (without wanting to sound wanky) would probably recalibrate how you think your Tannoys could sound.

Not cheap, especially with good valves, but an investment and short of a lottery win the last amp you’d buy.

Happy to help mate with the Digital side as and when.Thanks for the info, Nick is unfortunately stacked with work so no joy there.

They're 91db so pretty efficient.

I'll check out other 300B gear as I'm learning valves as I go along.

mikeyb
30-11-2017, 22:36
🤣🤣🤣. If you can collect (I know it's a massive distance) and can lend me an amp, youre more than welcome to loan the Firebottle Monoblocks I have here.

I don't know much about what it takes to drive Tannoys but they make everything I've tried sound good.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using TapatalkI forgot to reply, oops.

A bit far to travel I'm afraid but thanks for the offer.

Still reading up on various valve amps and they're suitability with the Tannoys.

Ali Tait
30-11-2017, 22:58
Mikey,

Happy to help mate with the Digital side as and when.

Be nice to try, but Tannoys don’t seem to work with SE say most folk who have tried it..0

mikeyb
01-12-2017, 11:24
Now using the WAD power amp with the Tisbury Pre as the Promitheus/WAD combo has too much gain, I couldn't get past 1 on the volume control for night time listening [emoji6]

So the Tisbury is better for quieter listening but gets a bit edgy when pushed to 11.

The Promitheus is better when at 11 but too big jumps between the volume steps.

I'm liking the WAD for the Tannoys more and more, so I'm now thinking I should be looking for something along those lines but with more power and definition when driven hard for rock. It doesn't do rock guitar very well and gets a bit messy and makes you want to turn it down as it sounds like it's distorting when playing dirty, fuzzy guitar if that makes sense.

Macca
01-12-2017, 11:48
If you are mainly into rock and blues, and it has to be valves, and you can spend the necessary, I would go for a Radford.

Marco
01-12-2017, 12:13
If you are mainly into rock and blues, and it has to be valves...

Lol... That implies then that if you're not into rock and blues, valves are no use or not as good... :D

Need I remind you of how extensive my tastes are in music, what amp I use, and how well it plays ALL genres of music? ;)

And the same can be the case for Mike.... :)

Marco.

WESTLOWER
01-12-2017, 12:16
Lol... That implies then that if you're not into rock and blues, valves are no use or not as good... :D

Need I remind you of how extensive my tastes are in music, what amp I use, and how well it plays ALL genres of music? ;)

Marco.

....Which Amp do you use Marco?

Marco
01-12-2017, 12:44
Hi Adam,

This:

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/539/f306a8.jpg

Tube Distinctions Copper amp. Hand-built, point-to-point wired, 50W of Class A lurveliness, via 4 x KT150s (added since that picture was taken), and features the use of bespoke, hand-wound transformers.

And it plays music, other than rock and blues (into Tannoy 15" MGs), erm, 'not too badly'..... :eyebrows:

Marco.

Andy831
01-12-2017, 13:11
I use Tannoys 15" Time compensated 3838 drivers in my GRF Memory reflex cabinets, these are rated at 92db anachoic and 95db domestic sensitivity.

My room is quite small 3.85 x 3.5 I drive these speakers effectively with either a Nick Gorham 300B Set Monoblocks (9watts/ channel) or a Bel Canto Set 40 (37 watts / channel)

Nicks amps sound glorious in the mid and high frequency range but the Bel Canto has it in the bass region very much as you would expect.

In summary I think SET amps can work with these speakers but as with all things Hi Fi the amp / speaker combo has to be tailored to your own room. I am sure in a large 6m x 6m lounge both these amps may struggle but in my room they are lovely.

WESTLOWER
01-12-2017, 13:39
Hi Adam,

This:

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/539/f306a8.jpg

Tube Distinctions Copper amp. Hand-built, point-to-point wired, 50W of Class A lurveliness, via 4 x KT150s (added since that picture was taken), and features the use of bespoke, hand-wound transformers.

And it plays music, other than rock and blues (into Tannoy 15" MGs), erm, 'not too badly'..... :eyebrows:

Marco.

Very Nice..it reminds me of the Manhattan Skyline! :lol:

mikeyb
01-12-2017, 13:39
Lovely looking amp Marco, but no doubt well over my budget, which isn't really fixed as such, but I'm not going to go daft cost wise, I really don't want to go over £1500-£2000 second hand, I'd rather buy used and get maximum I can for my money ( don't we all ).

In all honesty I'd rather the convenience of an SS integrated with DAC and Phono Stage and remote with the tight bass and timing, but I also want the liquid sound that valves give.

The primary thing though is the sound, that comes first way above convenience.

I'm still looking at the Ear 8L6 but not 100% convinced it's the right choice as I won't be able to hear it before purchase but it's right in budget, recently checked and serviced by Ear and still there awaiting delivery to either myself or its owner if I don't want it.

The decisions we have to make when thinking about buying a £5000 amp with 70% discount, life's tough eh [emoji23]

Marco
01-12-2017, 13:56
Very Nice..it reminds me of the Manhattan Skyline! :lol:

Lol - yes I can see where you're coming from! :D

Marco.

Marco
01-12-2017, 13:58
Lovely looking amp Marco, but no doubt well over my budget, which isn't really fixed as such, but I'm not going to go daft cost wise, I really don't want to go over £1500-£2000 second hand, I'd rather buy used and get maximum I can for my money ( don't we all ).

Indeed, and thanks. I wouldn't have mentioned it, had Adam not asked so nicely, as I know it's out of your budget. I think it would take around £6k to tempt Anthony to build one these days, as there's so much work involved with them.

Marco.

struth
01-12-2017, 14:24
Take the k off and I'm interested [emoji4]

Macca
01-12-2017, 14:36

Marco.

No, I was not implying that. I do think valves are an expensive way of doing it. But that's neither here nor there if you have the money.

Marco
01-12-2017, 14:42
Fairy muff. It might be an expensive way of doing it, but it's also a really good way, if done right. I didn't go down that particular road, just to 'waste money', you know! :eyebrows:

If I thought an SS amp could've done the same thing for much less, doncha think I'd have bought one? ;)

Marco.

Marco
01-12-2017, 14:43
Take the k off and I'm interested [emoji4]

There's a couple of copper screws here you could have :D

Marco.

Macca
01-12-2017, 14:44
Fairy muff. It might be an expensive way of doing it, but it's also a really good way. I didn't go down that particular road, just to 'waste money', you know! :eyebrows:

If I thought an SS amp could've done the same thing for much less, doncha think I'd have bought one? ;)

Marco.

I'm not trying to change anyone's mind. Just saying if I had some big Tannoys and wanted to match them with valves, it would be Radford for me.

struth
01-12-2017, 14:45
And you'd charge me too

Marco
01-12-2017, 14:47
Yesh, but you always pay for a screw! :lol::eyebrows:

;)

Marco.

walpurgis
01-12-2017, 14:49
A couple of McIntosh monos would probably be good also.

Actually, my EL34 monos drive the Tannoys really well and sound very fine, but nobody will find a set of those! :)

Marco
01-12-2017, 15:00
Indeed, Geoff. I still maintain though, and experience confirms it, that big Tannoy DCs perform better with some quality toobs! :)

Every time I've used SS amps with mine (and some top-notch ones, too), the sound always takes a downer...

Marco.

tubehunter
01-12-2017, 15:27
Lately I've been hearing IcePower Class D modules driving TANNOY PRESTIGE CANTERBURY 15's with awesome results

Happy Days

wee tee cee
01-12-2017, 15:49
Mike I could be talking pish but the kel 84 mono blocks you have on loan I bought from Ali tate-nearly sure it was Duncan(tubehunter that built them).

If yer liking the tube sound why not reach out and see if some kind members can let you try better tubes in what i loaned you.....both the monos and kel 84 Grant sold me with the TVC.

The valves in both are a hotpotch.....

Im wanting yer M50----horse trading always on the cards!!!!

Marco
01-12-2017, 15:52
Lately I've been hearing IcePower Class D modules driving TANNOY PRESTIGE CANTERBURY 15's with awesome results

Happy Days

Was that at Ian's, Duncan? Were they his amps or yours? :)

Marco.

wee tee cee
01-12-2017, 15:58
thats pure filth....im disgusted!!!

wee tee cee
01-12-2017, 16:00
THE rolling stone song-guitar to corrupt the yoof!!!!

Marco
01-12-2017, 16:01
thats pure filth....im disgusted!!!

Wot is? An efter listenin' tae some ah yoor patter, yon last time, ah doot ye'll be too easily offendit! :D;)

Marco.

hifi_dave
01-12-2017, 16:06
I have a Pathos Logos II with Hi-DAC and a Krell Vanguard Digital on my website. Both have a had no more than a few minutes use and both are half price.

Yes, I'm losing money but need the space.

wee tee cee
01-12-2017, 17:16
Marco,.
Id rather take a a hammer to ma boz than listen to some of the classical pish thats punted round here.

I was referring to the rolling stones song regards guitar!!!

What a filthy piece....dirty pants to the sides quikie sex rock track....now added to my spoyify blues playlist.

Almost like offering weans smack....rock heroine!!

Marco
01-12-2017, 17:26
Aye, nae borra. Away an fire on some John Martyn - love some of his live stuff, where he's pished/doped oot his big bawheid, and tellin' the audience tae fuck off :D

Marco.

wee tee cee
01-12-2017, 17:37
Yup....live at Leeds ripping the pish out danny t and the students-almost make you greet the big man has passed.

wee tee cee
01-12-2017, 17:43
the lhe live small hours on youtube.....just him and a echo plex-ffs.

If that doesnt do something to to you yer goiny have to tae check fur a pulse!!!!

Get yer arse up this neck of the woods fer a chin wag/grub and tunes.....ye know ye want toooo

Marco
01-12-2017, 17:57
Aye, the big man wiz class. Ah defo will breenge up tae Glesga soon and visit ye. Love gawn back tae ma hame toon. Ah miss it sometimes, so ah dae! :)

Marco.

Gazjam
01-12-2017, 22:37
I use Tannoys 15" Time compensated 3838 drivers in my GRF Memory reflex cabinets, these are rated at 92db anachoic and 95db domestic sensitivity.

My room is quite small 3.85 x 3.5 I drive these speakers effectively with either a Nick Gorham 300B Set Monoblocks (9watts/ channel) or a Bel Canto Set 40 (37 watts / channel)

Nicks amps sound glorious in the mid and high frequency range but the Bel Canto has it in the bass region very much as you would expect.

In summary I think SET amps can work with these speakers but as with all things Hi Fi the amp / speaker combo has to be tailored to your own room. I am sure in a large 6m x 6m lounge both these amps may struggle but in my room they are lovely.

Unless the 300B’s are wrapped in solid State....
Why not innovate and update the classic valve circuits?
Power supply, power supply, power supply. :eek:

As Marco says, valves done right dont fit any stereotype?
A bit of a sesh this evening, some earlier neighbour troubling ‘brown note’ Chemical Brothers always goes down well, especially when Im breaking in new kit.

And as Martin (Macca) says, might not be the cheapest way to do it (its the music thst hits your lugs that matters, however you get there) but the Valve route does work, despite the stereotypes you hear bandied about.

Hear you on amp/speaker/room interaction...its an important balance to get right.

Radfords a good shout btw.

Marco
01-12-2017, 22:47
There's nothing soft or woolly about the bass on a top-notch valve amp, as long as the mains and output transformers are up to it - and the more iron they have in them the better! ;)

Valve amps: one of the few things in hi-fi you can judge by weight....

Marco.

Andy831
02-12-2017, 07:57
Why not innovate and update the classic valve circuits?
Power supply, power supply, power supply. :eek:

Nick is already looking at what we can do to improve them starting with AC heating of the 300B

Gazjam
02-12-2017, 09:56
Nick is already looking at what we can do to improve them starting with AC heating of the 300B

Nicks yer man. :thumbsup:

wee tee cee
02-12-2017, 10:37
Ive heard nicks amps at both Garys and Toppsys place. With the big eddingdales they make the best noise ive ever heard.

Didnt matter what genre, they could flap yer trousers or bring you to tears with emotional delicacy.

Valves done properly are spectacular-but you pay for what you get.

Buy cheap, buy twice.....as my old always says.

Marco
02-12-2017, 10:49
Ive heard nicks amps at both Garys and Toppsys place. With the big eddingdales they make the best noise ive ever heard.

Didnt matter what genre, they could flap yer trousers or bring you to tears with emotional delicacy.

Valves done properly are spectacular-but you pay for what you get.

Buy cheap, buy twice.....as my old always says.

Nail > head, amigo! :exactly:

...which is why I try only to buy once, by buying WELL ;)

Marco [not a box-swapper].

wee tee cee
02-12-2017, 10:56
Mike already has a fantastic power amp-the EWA M50.

I reckon when Colin Wonfor sends mike the matching pre to try this thread will grind to a halt!!!

Its been a crackin read though.

mikeyb
02-12-2017, 12:28
Mike already has a fantastic power amp-the EWA M50.

I reckon when Colin Wonfor sends mike the matching pre to try this thread will grind to a halt!!!

Its been a crackin read though.You're not wrong there, I've really enjoyed this thread and I've had my ears opened to the possibilities out there.

I'll need to give Colin a nudge and see if he's still sending the Pre, mind you I think his wife had been unwell so he has other priorities right now so I'm not wanting to pester him if he's got his hands full. [emoji6]

I've found an amp I'd like to try and it's this.....

Primaluna Dialogue Premium HP Integrated.

Good reviews, comes with EL34 as standard, but can change to KT88 or KT120 with a quick valve change ( auto biasing ), remote control and switchable triode mode etc.

Just need to find a demo or used one to listen to, HiFi Corner in Edinburgh carry them so I might try and blag a demo one.

mikeyb
02-12-2017, 14:12
Ok so I'm still swapping things around, the monoblocks have been swapped for the WAD EL84 power amp with first the Tisbury Pre, good combo but edgy when driven hard and lacks dynamics. Good but not great.

In goes the Promitheus Pre, whole different ball game, drive, clarity, much better positioning of the various instruments and sounds. Superb really, however one slight issue, even at 1 on the Pre volume control it's giving an average on 73db playing the Kraftwerk 3D Boxset on vinyl. Now it sounds brilliant, but not suitable for late night listening [emoji23] note that the Tisbury driven to these levels just falls apart for me.

So it would appear to be the EL84 or similar route that I would like to go, that Primaluna mentioned above ticks all the boxes, ok it uses EL34's but can take KT88 and KT 120 valves which might suit me too.

I should also point out that I've swapped out my Decca Cartridge for another Zyx R100 this week and that one is not going anywhere, the Decca's jacket is "on a sticky nail" as one of my workmates once said lol

If anyone can recommend an EL34 integrated amp or better that has remote, autobiasing, and can also take other valves such as the KT88/120/150 and sells at under £2000 used then please recommend away [emoji6]

And the pre section in it must be stonking too. [emoji4]

Ironic to think a couple of WAD integrated amps sold just 2 or 3 months ago. I never even gave them a second glance lol

walpurgis
02-12-2017, 14:24
There is no EL84 amp that accepts KT88's and the like. The valve bases are different sizes.

mikeyb
02-12-2017, 14:25
There is no EL84 amp that accepts KT88's and the like. The valve bases are different sizes.Oops got my 34's and 84's mixed up [emoji23]

mikeyb
02-12-2017, 14:28
I suppose the other option is to try and drop the gain on the Promitheus and then buy that and the WAD power amp cheap from Tony [emoji23]

Mind you the steps on the volume control are too big too, jeez it's getting cheaper by the minute [emoji39]

walpurgis
02-12-2017, 14:30
If you like the EL84 sound, but want more power and maybe a little more grip, check out the Beard P35 (if you can find one).

mikeyb
02-12-2017, 14:32
If you like the EL84 sound, but want more power and maybe a little more grip, check out the Beard P35 (if you can find one).One for sale in Glasgow [emoji6]

walpurgis
02-12-2017, 14:33
One for sale in Glasgow [emoji6]

With the matching pre-amp.

mikeyb
02-12-2017, 14:48
With the matching pre-amp.

Fugly though :lol:

wee tee cee
02-12-2017, 14:52
Give me the M50 and ye can keep whatever combo suits you including the wires that work best!!!

Save yer 2k-buy nice tubes and have the tvc and kel84 pimped......go on, go on ,go on as misses Doyle says!

Yer a tube convert, I knew this bunch would tickle yer fancy-tubes and tannoys, just like statics do something majik!!!

walpurgis
02-12-2017, 14:56
Fugly though :lol:

Doesn't look bad to me.

http://i66.tinypic.com/wt6s9j.jpg

forsell
02-12-2017, 15:04
Doesn't look bad to me.

http://i66.tinypic.com/wt6s9j.jpg

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?12160-Beard-Preamplifier

mikeyb
02-12-2017, 18:47
How good is that Beard combo?

I didn't check the photos with it's hat on, certainly makes it look a bit better [emoji6]

Reliable?

Easy maintained?

Better than the WAD EL84?

I've been listening to Tony's Promitheus TVC and WAD with my Kraftwerk Boxset on Vinyl and I doubt I've listened to better here.

I might just save my money and buy that combo and get the volume on the TVC tweaked so it's more controllable and not so loud at 1 [emoji4]

I'm sitting in the main part of the living room looking directly at the HiFi about 9m away and I can't believe how good it all sounds [emoji4][emoji4][emoji4][emoji4][emoji4]

farflungstar
02-12-2017, 18:55
Having lived for a week with the Audio Research Ref 75 I cannot praise it highly enough, particularly with my Tannoys. It is simply superb and end of game. If an amp and speakers can make love to each other then it's this pairing - and their offspring is marvellous.

walpurgis
02-12-2017, 18:56
My mate had the P35 for some years. It's powerful enough for use with Tannoys and sounded as good as any other EL84 amp I've heard. It was eventually replaced with an EAR 861, but that's a different ball game (and a lot costlier).

I don't know the input sensitivity on it though, it could be a bit more forgiving with the Promitheus than the WAD.

mikeyb
02-12-2017, 21:27
My mate had the P35 for some years. It's powerful enough for use with Tannoys and sounded as good as any other EL84 amp I've heard. It was eventually replaced with an EAR 861, but that's a different ball game (and a lot costlier).

I don't know the input sensitivity on it though, it could be a bit more forgiving with the Promitheus than the WAD.I'll do some research [emoji6]

anubisgrau
03-12-2017, 13:58
has anyone tried JOB (goldmund) amps with tannoy?

Swann36
26-07-2020, 09:45
i feel i'm reading a great book ..and feeling rather bereft not knowing how it finished ...:(