PDA

View Full Version : Sound quality comparisons between Spotify and Amazon Music...

Marco
27-11-2017, 01:26
Interestingly, last week on the 'Spinning Today' classical thread, Jerry asked me to listen to some Magnard (Symphonies 1 and 3), performed by the Malmo Symphony orchestra, in order to gauge my opinion on this version of the composer's music, as opposed to the usual 'all-French' variety (conductor and orchestra), which I did.

Now I rarely listen to Spotify, as I've got 10TB worth of music stored on my hard drives (approx 25,000 albums), not to mention 1000s of CDs and LPs, so I normally just access stuff from my own (vast) library of music, without the need for an 'external juke box', as it were.

Therefore, it was interesting having a listen again to stuff on Spotify, via my home-cinema system, on 2-channel stereo mode (using my Celestion Ditton 15XRs), which I also use when listening to CDs and streaming music through the RPi. Now whilst I enjoyed the music Jerry had asked me to listen to, there was something about the sound I couldn't quite get on with, in comparison with what I'm used to with CD or streaming, through the RPi.

So I decided to do some sonic comparisons between identical albums, played via Spotify, CD, file-based streaming, and lastly via Amazon Music, which is essentially the same as Spotify, in terms of having access to an unlimited 'virtual' library of music. The interesting thing about Amazon Music, however, is that every album you've ever bought from Amazon (on CD or LP) is stored on 'My Music', allowing you to play it directly, as listed on the screen alphabetically, without having to seek out the CD or LP.

That was particularly useful for this exercise because it would allow me to make direct and very quick comparisons between the sound of, say, the CD itself and the streamed version from 'My Music', using whatever player Amazon employ for the task. Plus, I could also compare the latter directly with the same on Spotify, and quickly switch between the two, to make some sonic comparisons.

What I subsequently discovered was rather interesting.... Firstly, there is a very obvious drop in the output playback level between Spotify and CD, with the latter sounding much louder at the same given point on the volume control. Consequently, I had to crank up the volume, when switching to Spotify, to equal the same loudness level on CD, which was a little annoying, but it also had the effect of making music on Spotify sound 'weedy' and lacking in dynamic impact, compared with CD, which sounded bigger and 'ballsier'.

Now of course, the change in sound could also have resulted from a number of other factors too (and probably did), namely the DAC connected to my Sony DVD/CD player, which is a Beresford Bushmaster MKII, as when listening to Spotify (via my Apple laptop), the sound would've been coming through the built-in DAC in my Sony AV amp, via an HDMI cable, although the DAC in the Sony is also very capable.

Switching to Amazon music, and doing the same comparison with CD, firstly the output level is higher than that of Spotify, so I didn't have to crank up the volume as much, in order to match the level available from CD, and to my ears the same album I had been listening to (in this case Yello's The Eye) also sounded better via Amazon music, than Spotify. It was just more punchy and dynamic, as if the music was coming from a higher resolution source.

The only way to find that out would be to compare the bit rate of the players Spotify and Amazon use, when music is accessed by listeners, via their respective websites. However, as good as the sound was via Amazon Music, and for me it was notably better than Spotify, it was still a pale shadow of what I was getting from playing a CD of the same album, via my cheap-as-chips Sony DVD/CD player, and highly capable (although not terribly expensive), Bushmaster MKII DAC.

The same also applied when the same music was streamed via the RPi (and IQ Audio DAC), and which sonically was comparable in quality with the above, perhaps just having the edge, but both sounded significantly better than either Spotify or Amazon music.

Now, to carry out this test [Spotify versus Amazon Music, versus CD, versus streaming of the same music, via the RPi] a little more seriously, I need to do it through my main system, which I can't access at the moment, as the room is slowly being tidied of kitchen paraphernalia, due to recent refurbishments in that area, but when I get the chance to do that, I will report back accordingly.

The point, however, is this: it's patently obvious to me, even through my secondary system, that using Spotify as a music source is a sonically compromised way of listening to one's favourite music, and easily bettered by even a modest DVD-player/DAC and streaming source. Goodness knows how much better my Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 would sound, via CD, playing the same music as on Spotify, or on vinyl, via my modded Technics T/T!

Therefore, Jerry, as someone whom I believe uses Spotify almost exclusively now to play music, have you not noticed this when comparing matters with your own CD source? Or have you noticed the output level difference I've described between Spotify and CD? In my system, it is quite marked.

Also, what do others here think who've tried the same test or who use Spotify, or something similar of that ilk, to play music from? It's quite clear to me that genuine high-resolution, top-notch sound, simply isn't possible using the likes of Spotify as a source. It is just too sonically compromised, and so not something I could use for serious listening in the long term...

Marco.

realysm42
27-11-2017, 02:49
It sounds like you're comparing a lot more than only the format of the music.

mightymonoped
27-11-2017, 08:50
Currently using all three formats (streaming via Spotify, CD and RPi), I find that the Spotify Premium (320mbps) service is ok for casual or 'discovery' listening but a bit flat and lifeless compared to both CD and RPi streaming.
If I find something of sufficient and sustained interest on Spotify, I'll tend to purchase either the CD or Lossless format and source from my RPi/NAS setup.

There are rumours of a lossless Spotify 'Hi-Fi' service in the wings apparently? This may present more of a challenge to the CD/Flac options?

struth
27-11-2017, 08:56
currently Testing Deezer hifi streaming and its very good. inv better than Tidal with whom Ive dropped my membership for now. Still have spotify at moment as the deezer is not currently costing me anything. Will see where it goes but i think it will be my main way of listening....

jandl100
27-11-2017, 09:21
Therefore, Jerry, as someone whom I believe uses Spotify almost exclusively now to play music, have you not noticed this when comparing matters with your own CD source? Or have you noticed the output level difference I've described between Spotify and CD? In my system, it is quite marked.

Yes, interesting topic.

I suspect that system dependence of all the various pieces of gear involved strongly influences the results here.

I've done substantial comparisons between CD playback and Spotify Premium in my main system. (Note the last 4 words).
I actually prefer Spotify Premium most times, although the difference is usually small.
I wouldn't be prepared to sacrifice sound quality for the convenience of streaming.

Coinicidentally, I signed up for Amazon Music last week on a 99p for 3 months Black Friday deal (the only one I went for!).
My initial impression on just a few albums was that the sq wasn't up to Spot Premium or CD by quite a margin.

So, my conclusions are pretty much the exact opposite to Marco's.
Curious as we often hear things in a similar way and often come to similar conclusions.
I can only suspect that system implementation issues are affecting things here.
It would be interesting to see if Marco came to the same conclusions on his Big Rig.

Marco
27-11-2017, 09:35
By the way (just having my breakfast at the moment), I should point out that the comparisons I've conducted were with Spotify Premium, not the bog standard service.

Also, before I comment further on other matters, the gross disparity between output levels of Spotify and CD (or streaming via the RPi, using Moode) would put me off using the former for long periods of time, regardless of anything else.

On the digital volume readout of my Sony amp, if I'm listening at say, 15, on CD, I have to turn it up to around 23, with Spotify to achieve the same listening level, and I can't see that changing when switching to my main system, as it's simply how both inherently are.

The master sound output level, on Spotify, has clearly been set too low - and that's with the little volume icon turned up to max.

Surely others, including you Jerry, must've have noticed this?

Marco.

struth
27-11-2017, 09:40
you deffo got it on 320kb. there is a setting change needed as it defaults to 128 i think. worth checking. also it will sound better if you use the chrome web browser and web player.

Yomanze
27-11-2017, 09:44
Bear in mind that Spotify has audible watermarking, so whilst very good indeed, will not match a ripped CD. TIDAL better, but also has watermarked tracks from companies like Universal. I expect Amazon to be similar in this way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marco
27-11-2017, 09:48
Roger on the last bit, Grant. How can I check the bit rate? I can't seem to see a settings menu...

Marco.

mightymonoped
27-11-2017, 09:48
Also for the sake of completeness, I should have stated that I have accessed Spotify Premium via Macbook, IOS and routed it via Spotify Additional Devices, Airplay and Volumio Add-on. RPi DACS used were IQ Audio and ALLO Boss.

Haven't performed any specific testing of volumes levels (via Amplifier, Application and Phone settings) other than to notice a significant drop in the volume when switching from RPi/NAS source to Spotify.

In all of the above, the preference has always been with the RPi/NAS as the source.

struth
27-11-2017, 09:51
universal music group watermarking was a problem as it was faulty. its been fixed but dont know if spotify have re-uploaded the fixed copies. I know it was a problem on many classicals by producing a fluttering. it is also on their hi-res downloaded content as well.

mightymonoped
27-11-2017, 09:53
Drop-down menu at Top Right (next to your user name) will give you access to the Settings Menu.
Once in Settings, you can set the Music Quality to High Quality Streaming.

struth
27-11-2017, 09:57
Roger on the last bit, Grant. How can I check the bit rate? I can't seem to see a settings menu...

Marco.

on the desktop app top right there is your name followed by an arrow . click arrow, then settings and look for music quality. on the web browser I think its a little gear wheel. there are a number of setting for things in advanced too

Marco
27-11-2017, 10:05
Once in Settings, you can set the Music Quality to High Quality Streaming.

Hi Tony, now in what I think is Settings, but the list of options available doesn't obviously indicate how to set the music quality. Could you take me through, step by step, which buttons to press, in order to get there? :)

Marco.

Marco
27-11-2017, 10:09
on the desktop app top right there is your name followed by an arrow...

Are you talking about the 'Download App'? That's the only arrow I can see.

Beside my name, there is a graphic of a head and shoulders, which if I press gives me options of:

View Account
Full Website
Help
Log Out

Nothing else.... So where do I go from here?

Marco.

WAD62
27-11-2017, 10:09
Haven't performed any specific testing of volumes levels (via Amplifier, Application and Phone settings) other than to notice a significant drop in the volume when switching from RPi/NAS source to Spotify.

In all of the above, the preference has always been with the RPi/NAS as the source.

I use the open source LMS plugin 'Spotty', which allows me to integrate my NAS/Flac with Spotify onto the same playlist, across 4 players...If I cue up a flac track and the equivalent spotify one, the volumes seem identical, however the spotify version sounds 'flatter'...but good enough until the CD arrives for ripping!

There is some resampling of ogg vorbis to PCM going on in the plugin for compatibility reasons, so this may account for the volume normalisation...

struth
27-11-2017, 10:12
there will either be a ^ or a small gearwheel. in there is settings and in there music quality. set it to extreme. if you are on the free version you wont get this option, you would have to go for premium. might have to navigate to your music screen to see it.

also you need to be on the unit it is playing from if using connect feature.

Marco
27-11-2017, 10:12
Also, my name is on the bottom left, not top right....

Marco.

Tim
27-11-2017, 10:14
also it will sound better if you use the chrome web browser and web player.
Also much improved from a dedicated music server.

Marco with the greatest of respect this is an apples and oranges comparison and you are not IMHO comparing objectively or reporting (again IMHO) without perhaps an element of bias - even if you think you are. Interesting nonetheless, but you need to do a lot more balanced and equal testing to draw any solid conclusions here. I personally would challenge a lot of your findings, using different equipment, but I'm not going to get into a circular discussion as we've been here many times before.

However I do totally agree that Spotify cannot compete with a very good file based audio system playing lossless files from either a NAS or attached hard drive, but it's not meant to. Or a good CDP system for that matter.

I'd like Jerry to go over and do it all, with you sitting blind, then I might think OK then fair do's ;)

Marco
27-11-2017, 10:14
there will either be a ^ or a small gearwheel. in there is settings and in there music quality. set it to extreme. if you are on the free version you wont get this option, you would have to go for premium. might have to navigate to your music screen to see it

Nothing like that on the screen I'm looking at, mate. And it's defo Premium I've got. Maybe the user screen is different on a Mac? Dunno....

Marco.

struth
27-11-2017, 10:15
there may be the odd difference on a mac I guess. as said you need to be on the my music screens if memory serves. may be a gear on ios

Marco
27-11-2017, 10:17
Also much improved from a dedicated music server.

Marco with the greatest of respect this is an apples and oranges comparison and you are not IMHO comparing objectively or reporting (again IMHO) without perhaps an element of bias - even if you think you are. Interesting nonetheless, but you need to do a lot more balanced and equal testing to draw any solid conclusions here. I personally would challenge a lot of your findings, using different equipment, but I'm not going to get into a circular discussion as we've been here many times before.

However I do totally agree that Spotify cannot compete with a very good file based audio system playing lossless files from either a NAS or attached hard drive, but it's not meant to. Or a good CDP system for that matter.

I'd like Jerry to go over and do it all, with you sitting blind, then I might think OK then fair do's ;)

Hey Tim, I can only report what I'm currently hearing. There is no bias, I can assure you. I simply want to obtain the best results I can, with whichever music source I'm using.

Before I go anywhere else, perhaps you or someone else can successfully direct me to the area i need to access in order to ensure that I'm getting the best sound from Spotify?

Marco.

struth
27-11-2017, 10:18
Off my tablet ipad..

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171127/0e87a1cd6489d45e8a852487d9f3f9ad.jpg

Gear wheel in top right.. touch it and.....

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171127/f720ef4404a94a069252b68666786a3d.jpg

Marco
27-11-2017, 10:18
there may be the odd difference on a mac I guess. as said you need to be on the my music screens if memory serves. may be a gear on ios

It's not an odd difference, mate. We describing different screens. I'll give you a quick bell, and you can try and take me through it :)

Marco.

mightymonoped
27-11-2017, 10:28
Hey Tim, I can only report what I'm currently hearing. There is no bias, I can assure you. I simply want to obtain the best results I can, with whichever music source I'm using.

Before I go anywhere else, perhaps you or someone else can successfully direct me to the area i need to access in order to ensure that I'm getting the best sound from Spotify?

Marco.

On IOS app, it’s accessed via My Library then the Cogwheel at top right

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171127/292dfb493dcc3e89da524d41be3a1a37.jpg

On Mac desktop application it’s via ‘v’ shaped pull down menu icon next to username and picture at top right

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171127/9e3cbedae1e2bf91ff912316d6dd4d3a.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jandl100
27-11-2017, 10:58
universal music group watermarking was a problem as it was faulty. its been fixed but dont know if spotify have re-uploaded the fixed copies. I know it was a problem on many classicals by producing a fluttering. it is also on their hi-res downloaded content as well.

Yes, I'd noticed on Spot that the watermark background burble had stopped. It isn't an issue any more as far as I am concerned.

jandl100
27-11-2017, 11:05
Also, before I comment further on other matters, the gross disparity between output levels of Spotify and CD (or streaming via the RPi, using Moode) would put me off using the former for long periods of time, regardless of anything else.

On the digital volume readout of my Sony amp, if I'm listening at say, 15, on CD, I have to turn it up to around 23, with Spotify to achieve the same listening level, and I can't see that changing when switching to my main system, as it's simply how both inherently are.

The master sound output level, on Spotify, has clearly been set too low - and that's with the little volume icon turned up to max.

Surely others, including you Jerry, must've have noticed this?

Marco.

:scratch: x2

Firstly, I don't get a great disparity in volume level in my system between Spot and CD. It's not an issue for me.

Secondly, it's only a gain thing, anyway, nothing to do with dynamics or power.
I guess if you have an inherently higher noise floor in your system then having to raise the volume level may be a problem with reduced dynamic range above the noise floor affecting sound quality.

Yomanze
27-11-2017, 11:07
Yes, I'd noticed on Spot that the watermark background burble had stopped. It isn't an issue any more as far as I am concerned.

That's interesting. I haven't really been using Spotify, more TIDAL, glad they've fixed it.

Marco
27-11-2017, 11:33
On IOS app, it’s accessed via My Library then the Cogwheel at top right

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171127/292dfb493dcc3e89da524d41be3a1a37.jpg

On Mac desktop application it’s via ‘v’ shaped pull down menu icon next to username and picture at top right

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171127/9e3cbedae1e2bf91ff912316d6dd4d3a.jpeg

Cheers, Tony :)

The difference is I wasn't getting the page you've just shown above, as I was using the web browser to access Spotify, not the app. Now I have the app up, I can access the the Settings menu, which I can confirm the sound quality was set at the highest bit rate.

Need to go and do a few things now, so will comment on recent posts made later.

Marco.

montesquieu
27-11-2017, 11:36
A key spotify setting to watch (under 'advanced settings') is 'set the same volume level for all songs'. That should be off, otherwise you have Spotify buggering around with the output. Obviously music quality should be 'High Quality Streaming' (I don't think even if you pay for a premium subscription this is turned on automatically it was a few days before I found it!).

Previously I had a few issues with it but I now use JRiver for my local files, Spotify and Qubuz (I've binned Tidal for its hopeless metadata and relatively poor classical catalogue - jury's still out on Spotify vs Qubuz so I'm running with both for a bit), and Audio Note transport for CDs. Both Mac (via USB) and transport (via AES/EBU) are connected into my new toy, a Mutec MC3+USB receiving/reclocking device, then on to the AN DAC via AES/EBU. So all going through the same reclocking and output/input.

I get no volume disparity between any of the options. And I've been impressed with the sound quality (on the main rig). I would now put JRiver first in quality (from last previously), followed by CD, followed by Spotify and Qubuz (I don't hear a difference between these). But all in all the difference is very small between all three, and the differences between well and poorly mastered recordings FAR outweighs any quality difference in the delivery mechanisms.

I still enjoy putting a CD on and having the physical object - it's great to acquire things as files but I don't see myself having a CD ripping orgy any time soon. I have to admit that getting it all working well has put a small dent in my vinyl listening. (Though vinyl is still king, natch).

struth
27-11-2017, 11:40
A key spotify setting to watch (under 'advanced settings') is 'set the same volume level for all songs'. That should be off, otherwise you have Spotify buggering around with the output. Obviously music quality should be 'High Quality Streaming' (I don't think even if you pay for a premium subscription this is turned on automatically it was a few days before I found it!).

Previously I had a few issues with it but I now use JRiver for my local files, Spotify and Qubuz (I've binned Tidal for its hopeless metadata and relatively poor classical catalogue - jury's still out on Spotify vs Qubuz so I'm running with both for a bit), and Audio Note transport for CDs. Both Mac (via USB) and transport (via AES/EBU) are connected into my new toy, a Mutec MC3+USB receiving/reclocking device, then on to the AN DAC via AES/EBU. So all going through the same reclocking and output/input.

I get no volume disparity between any of the options. And I've been impressed with the sound quality (on the main rig). I would now put JRiver first in quality (from last previously), followed by CD, followed by Spotify and Qubuz (I don't hear a difference between these). But all in all the difference is very small between all three, and the differences between well and poorly mastered recordings FAR outweighs any quality difference in the delivery mechanisms.

I still enjoy putting a CD on and having the physical object - it's great to acquire things as files but I don't see myself having a CD ripping orgy any time soon. I have to admit that getting it all working well has put a small dent in my vinyl listening. (Though vinyl is still king, natch).

ah yes, I forgot to mention that..it makes a big difference

jandl100
27-11-2017, 11:50
Also worth bearing in mind, I think, that it's to a quite substantial extent music genre dependent.
I'm all classical, pretty much the only time I play non-classical is when folks visit.

Most hifi folk seem to require their system to be able to accurately reproduce the sound of a jack hammer on steroids, whereas I am more concerned about the opposite end of the dynamic spectrum.
It's the quiet and subtle dynamic shading of a string quartet, for example, or violin soloist, that enables the nuances of the playing to be heard and enjoyed that gets me going.
:violin: :)

I've heard a system that happily pinned me to the back wall with laugh-out-loud dynamic impact, but was totally incapable of subtle dynamic nuance at lower sound levels. Needless to say, the system's owner was pleased as can be with his system - he hadn't a clue what he was missing, nor did he care. He was just baffled that I chose to listen to a totally boring track. Well, it isn't boring on my system! ;)
A recent communication from another AOSer said that you simply can't get systems that excel at both dynamic extremes. He may be right.

So, it could well be that Spotify Premium has a less dynamic presentation than another source like CD or Tidal (I'm pretty sure it has, actually), but that is fine by me.
At the start of my streaming adventure I had parallel subs with Tidal Hirez and Spot Premium for several months. I found I simply wasn't using Tidal so I let the sub lapse.
SpotPrem meets my musical needs just fine. But I can understand if it doesn't do so for other folks with other preferences.

struth
27-11-2017, 11:56
dEEZER DONT SEEM TO BE DOING THE 3 MONTHS FOR 99P ANYMORE ALAS Marco(sorry re caps). 15 days free only.

WESTLOWER
27-11-2017, 12:01
I would now put JRiver first in quality (from last previously)

Tom what did you do to improve the performance of JRiver? (sorry if you have already mentioned this)

montesquieu
27-11-2017, 12:12
Tom what did you do to improve the performance of JRiver? (sorry if you have already mentioned this)

A few settings changes plus the addition of the Mutec. Not sure which was most important (most likely settings) but it clicked into place.

struth
27-11-2017, 12:18
Rate jriver highly sound wise too.. ive tried a few different settings and now have a set for the stereo and a set for the headphones, plus a few under trial. its a case of smoke it and see.

Marco
27-11-2017, 12:40
dEEZER DONT SEEM TO BE DOING THE 3 MONTHS FOR 99P ANYMORE ALAS Marco(sorry re caps). 15 days free only.

No worries, mate. What were you saying about Deezer being louder and sounding much better than Spotify?

I ask because, I'm still getting significant disparity between the playback level on Spotify and CD. Spotify sounds *distinctly* quieter, with much less gain. Consequently, I'm having to turn the amp up considerably more to compensate, thus introducing more noise/distortion, simply from having to drive the amp harder, in order to achieve the same playback level.

This is where gain matters, as we're not just talking about a few notches on the volume dial. I found tweaking the gain/output level on the RPi hugely influential in terms of the quality of results I achieved - and this will be no different. The lack of level is making Spotify sound 'weedy' and lacklustre in comparison with my other digital sources, and I don't care what anyone says, that isn't right! :nono:

Marco.

WESTLOWER
27-11-2017, 12:41
Rate jriver highly sound wise too.. ive tried a few different settings and now have a set for the stereo and a set for the headphones, plus a few under trial. its a case of smoke it and see.

off topic slightly, but can you stream Tidal through JRiver??

struth
27-11-2017, 12:49
off topic slightly, but can you stream Tidal through JRiver??

you can using jriver's media centre 22 driver which you have to download and switch on. its a bit glitchy with some services like deezer/ not tried it with tidal.

struth
27-11-2017, 12:55
No worries, mate. What were you saying about Deezer being louder and sounding much better than Spotify?

I ask because, I'm still getting significant disparity between the playback level on Spotify and CD. Spotify sounds *distinctly* quieter, with much less gain. Consequently, I'm having to turn the amp up considerably more to compensate, thus introducing more noise/distortion, simply from having to drive the amp harder, in order to achieve the same playback level.

This is where gain matters, as we're not just talking about a few notches on the volume dial. I found tweaking the gain/output level on the RPi hugely influential in terms of the quality of results I achieved - and this will be no different. The lack of level is making Spotify sound 'weedy' and lacklustre in comparison with my other digital sources, and I don't care what anyone says, that isn't right! :nono:

Marco.

I take it you switched off the volume leveling in spotify settings? Yes deezer has more gain although I found the 320 stream a bit forward and bright. their hifi stream is very good tho. They are in the process of bringing this out I believe on their new app so hold fire fore a month or 2 and you should be able to get it then. I think as with the premium 3 months free the beta isnt taking any more freebies.

Marco
27-11-2017, 13:13
I take it you switched off the volume leveling in spotify settings?

Yes, that was turned off when I was checking the bit-rate.

Yes deezer has more gain...

That's the issue I have. It's not that the sound with Spotify is bad; it isn't. It just doesn't have the same 'punch' (attack) and impact, as the same music has when played on my other digital sources, which I suspect if measured would be outputting more level. And there is a right, and also 'less right'. level to be achieved, in order to get the best sound.

The effect I'm hearing is akin to running a low-output MC cartridge through a phono stage with sub-optimal (insufficient) gain: the sound is ok (if a little 'soft'). However, you can hear how much better and more dynamic things would be if the phono stage had more gain. That's where I am with Spotify, and simply turning up the volume on my amp doesn't solve the problem. That just makes things louder, but not louder in the right way.

The problem is that there needs to be a louder signal to amplify in the first place, through a gain increase *at source*, and by that I mean the level that the Spotify player itself is outputting. Do you see where I'm coming from?

If Deezer can do it, then so can Spotify :)

Marco.

struth
27-11-2017, 13:35
Was the laptops volume at max too

Marco
27-11-2017, 13:56
Yes, the laptop volume mirrors the volume setting on Spotify.

As an example of the issue I'm referring to, I'm currently listening to a John Martyn album, via Spotify, at 27 on the volume control, to achieve a normal and not too loud sound.

If I were to switch back to CD (or the RPi), without turning the volume on the amp down first, the sound would blow my head off! Normally with those sources, through the same amp, I'm listening at around 15, to achieve the same level.

Does that sound right to you? It's certainly not what I'd consider as right. And the sound, via Spotify, is suffering as a result. And I don't think that carrying out the same test in my main system will change much in that respect.

It will sound different for sure, but the discrepancy between source output levels I suspect will remain, simply because nothing will have changed, in terms of what the IQ Audio DAC (connected to the RPi) is outputting, and I don't think my Sony DAC kicks out any less, in that respect, than the Bushmaster.

Marco.

struth
27-11-2017, 14:06
im using usb with its driver for the dac to my pc vol is 100%. spotifies own vc is at 3/4 and is separate from the laptop's setting. then there out to dac. have another vc on dac/ for headphone but when using the stereo it gets switched out. It might just be a driver issue. I can pick from 2 dacs currently and both are loud enough although not as loud as deezer. Sounds like something different is going on due to your mac and dac combo and the driver used maybe. Could do with someone who uses a mac to help here

Yomanze
27-11-2017, 14:11
Oh no, do we really think that correctly optimised software makes a difference to sound quality, without any resampling or filtering changes? In the Wild West of audio days where USB to SPDIF was inferior to CD, and Windows sounded bad (due to system interference & resampling), yes these things did make a difference. I don't hear it anymore though providing things are set up properly...

Marco
27-11-2017, 14:19
Sounds like something different is going on due to your mac and dac combo and the driver used maybe. Could do with someone who uses a mac to help here

Could well be. There's defo an optimisation issue somewhere in the current replay chain, using Spotify. And it may be at the laptop end. Excuse my ignorance, but which part in proceedings are you referring to as the "driver"?

What I may have to do is try and access Spotify, through the RPi, as a source (so that it shows up in the 'Browse' menu on Moode), and listen to it through the system that way, thus eliminating using the laptop and an HDMI lead to access Spotify, but being the techy numptie that I am, I'm unsure of how to do that...

Marco.

Tim
27-11-2017, 14:25
Does that sound right to you? It's certainly not what I'd consider as right.
That doesn't sound right Marco, I can't comment compared to a CDP as I don't have one, but I get virtually no fluctuation in volume levels between using Spotify and JRiver, which I agree with others gives me the best all round package both sonically and for usability, in playing my files. I've never really got into a Pi set-up as I have no need to. The old maxim of do I need it or do I just want it applies here, so I've saved my money for music :)

The reason I question your result is as a file based advocate it's something I have tried, admittedly not for awhile, but my results differed as I was expecting them too. Spotify uses the .ogg format which most agree is superior to .mp3 like for like. So 320kbps .ogg on a level playing field 'should' sound superior to 320kbps .mp3. Now it's not something I have researched recently, but Amazon used to stream .mp3 at 256kbps, so logic dictates it should be inferior to Spotify, which my testing confirmed - it was quite clear too. Playing devils advocate here and applying my comment to you, could I be biased as I'm a fan of Spotify and file streaming? Interesting thought. Or have Amazon changed something recently?

I'm not there hearing what you are, so hard to fully discuss, but I feel something is amiss as Spotify should not be giving you inferior results to Amazon, at best it might be as good, at worst clearly inferior, but it certainly shouldn't be bettering it. I think something isn't set-up as it should be, so the comparison is not IMO a balanced one.

I stand by my earlier comment too if Jerry would to conduct a blind test on you, as Jerry I think knows his onions here ;)

Interesting to see that you are experimenting though.

struth
27-11-2017, 14:26
laptop will use a driver for the dac . may be the base ios one or a specific one for the dac. maybe stan would know if it uses any different. surprised its so low as its not particularly low on windows

Marco
27-11-2017, 14:31
laptop will use a driver for the dac . may be the base ios one or a specific one for the dac. maybe stan would know if it uses any different. surprised its so low as its not particularly low on windows

Possibly, but I'd have no idea how to address that. See the edit on my last post (the last paragraph) and my suggestion of accessing Spotify through Moode, using the RPi. What do you think? Trouble is, I don't know how to add Spotify to the Browse menu on Moode....

Marco.

Marco
27-11-2017, 14:33
That doesn't sound right Marco, I can't comment compared to a CDP as I don't have one, but I get virtually no fluctuation in volume levels between using Spotify and JRiver, which I agree with others gives me the best all round package both sonically and for usability, in playing my files. I've never really got into a Pi set-up as I have no need to. The old maxim of do I need it or do I just want it applies here, so I've saved my money for music :)

The reason I question your result is as a file based advocate it's something I have tried, admittedly not for awhile, but my results differed as I was expecting them too. Spotify uses the .ogg format which most agree is superior to .mp3 like for like. So 320kbps .ogg on a level playing field 'should' sound superior to 320kbps .mp3. Now it's not something I have researched recently, but Amazon used to stream .mp3 at 256kbps, so logic dictates it should be inferior to Spotify, which my testing confirmed - it was quite clear too. Playing devils advocate here and applying my comment to you, could I be biased as I'm a fan of Spotify and file streaming? Interesting thought. Or have Amazon changed something recently?

I'm not there hearing what you are, so hard to fully discuss, but I feel something is amiss as Spotify should not be giving you inferior results to Amazon, at best it might be as good, at worst clearly inferior, but it certainly shouldn't be bettering it. I think something isn't set-up as it should be, so the comparison is not IMO a balanced one.

I stand by my earlier comment too if Jerry would to conduct a blind test on you, as Jerry I think knows his onions here ;)

Interesting to see that you are experimenting though.

All good stuff there Tim, and thanks for that. Unfortunately, I don't have time to reply in proper detail, but will do when I get time later :)

Marco.

Stratmangler
27-11-2017, 14:38
.... thus eliminating using the laptop and an HDMI lead to access Spotify, but being the techy numptie that I am, I'm unsure of how to do that...

Marco.

Yer Burglar's shopping list has disappeared from your signature.
Which amp is it you're connecting up to?

It sounds as though you might need to navigate through the amp setup menus, and maybe adjust the input gain.
Equally it could be summat in yer lappy settings - it's a bit unusual to use HDMI for purely audio transfer ...

struth
27-11-2017, 14:45
was thinking that hdmi might have a audio input level ceiling. try a usb from laptop to dac.

struth
27-11-2017, 14:47
Possibly, but I'd have no idea how to address that. See the edit on my last post (the last paragraph) and my suggestion of accessing Spotify through Moode, using the RPi. What do you think? Trouble is, I don't know how to add Spotify to the Browse menu on Moode....

Marco.

you can do it but dont look at me:eyebrows: try a usb connection. bet its louder

Marco
27-11-2017, 14:54
Yer Burglar's shopping list has disappeared from your signature.
Which amp is it you're connecting up to?

It sounds as though you might need to navigate through the amp setup menus, and maybe adjust the input gain.
Equally it could be summat in yer lappy settings - it's a bit unusual to use HDMI for purely audio transfer ...

Hi Chris,

The Sony AV amp in question, used in my secondary system where this test is taking place, is an STR-DN1060. I'm unaware of any settings for adjusting input gain. If it's something in my laptop settings, then I wouldn't have a clue, as I don't go near anything 'complicated'.

The reason I'm using an HDMI lead is that it's the only way of connecting my laptop to the amp (thus enabling me to play Spotify through the system), as there are no phono sockets on the laptop, with which I could connect it to one of the available phono inputs on the amp.

However, there is an HDMI connection available on the amp input named as 'Video 1', thus allowing me to connect the laptop to it, via an HDMI lead.

Currently I can't play Spotify through the system any other way. Hope that helps explain matters :)

Marco.

Marco
27-11-2017, 14:57
you can do it but dont look at me:eyebrows: try a usb connection. bet its louder

Not sure there's a USB input on the amp, but I'll take a look.

Marco.

struth
27-11-2017, 14:58
usb to dac(stans one) and then out to amp then.

mightymonoped
27-11-2017, 15:05
Hi Chris,

The Sony AV amp in question, used in my secondary system where this test is taking place, is an STR-DN1060. I'm unaware of any settings for adjusting input gain. If it's something in my laptop settings, then I wouldn't have a clue, as I don't go near anything 'complicated'.

The reason I'm using an HDMI lead is that it's the only way of connecting my laptop to the amp, as there are no phono sockets on the laptop, with which I could connect it to one of the available phono inputs on the amp.

However, there is an HDMI connection available on the amp input named as 'Video 1', thus allowing me to connect the laptop to it, via an HDMI lead.

Currently I can't play Spotify through the system any other way. Hope that helps explain matters :)

Marco.

At the risk of being a bit of a numpty here, can't you route Spotify via the RPi? If your RPi is already hooked up to your system, you can use it as an output for Spotify (wired or wirelessly) from the laptop using an app like Volumio (I'm kind of assuming Moode does this too?)

Marco
27-11-2017, 15:05
usb to dac(stans one) and then out to amp then.

There is no USB input on the Bushmaster, see here: https://headfonics.com/2014/09/the-bushmaster-mkii-dac-by-beresford/

Marco.

Marco
27-11-2017, 15:08
At the risk of being a bit of a numpty here, can't you route Spotify via the RPi?

Hi Tony, yes as I've said already, that's what I'd love to do, but have no idea how. Could you outline what I need to do, as simply as possible? :)

Essentially, for me to access Spotify that way, it'd have to appear as a 'source' on the Browse Menu on Moode. But I've no idea how to do that.

Marco.

Stratmangler
27-11-2017, 15:11
You still using Volumio on the Pi, Marco?
There's a Spotify plugin for Volumio, which would likely be the best solution.

Marco
27-11-2017, 15:12
Hi Chris, no I'm using Moode now.

Someone would have to explain how to do it on Moode, if indeed it can be done.

Marco.

Tim
27-11-2017, 15:17
Yer Burglar's shopping list has disappeared from your signature
:rfl:

struth
27-11-2017, 15:18
it doesnt have a usb. ah well thats that oot the windae.:eyebrows: you would need a usb to spidif convertor then, or a different dac i guess, or go to volumio and use the rpi. or get another rpi for it..it becomes complicated when using a pc without a usb dac. your mac might have a toslink in the headphone socket if its not too new. that would get you going.

mikeyB might know if it can be done with moode. he plays with it all the time :D

surprised your big amp with dac doesnt have a usb

mightymonoped
27-11-2017, 15:27
Looks like Moode 4 does support Airplay rendering, so in principle you can output from Mac or IOS device.
I have no idea how you enable it though as I'm a Volumio user.
I'm sure there must be some Moode bods on here who can give advice on this?

Stratmangler
27-11-2017, 15:27
There appears to be the capability of running Spotify with Moode - I suggest having a word with your Tech Support.
You could give piCorePlayer a go - it has LMS and a fully working Spotify plugin already incorporated.
piCorePlayer is what I run on my RasPi - running my Squeezeboxes.

The beauty of using piCorePlayer running LMS is that the Spotify app (Spotty) can be set up as a Spotify endpoint from the user Spotify application (you can control the player via the Spotify web servers).

Marco
27-11-2017, 15:28
:rfl:

Lol. Just done it to tidy things up a bit, as some of my posts can be long enough as it is without a huge list of kit tagged onto the end! :D

Marco.

Marco
27-11-2017, 15:33
Looks like Moode 4 does support Airplay rendering, so in principle you can output from Mac or IOS device.
I have no idea how you enable it though as I'm a Volumio user.
I'm sure there must be some Moode bods on here who can give advice on this?

Yup, I might start a separate thread about it and/or speak to the chap from Moode, who's registered here and see what he says.

It's not really a big deal, because as I've said, I don't really listen much to Spotify. It's just that when Jerry asked me to listen to the classical music in question, via Spotify, I was shocked at how worse it sounded, via my current way of accessing it, compared with the sound I'm used to with CD and streaming :)

If I can get Spotify installed onto Moode, and play it through the RPi, then great, as I'm sure that will resolve the issue. If not, hey-ho, as it isn't a major source of music for me.

Marco.

Marco
27-11-2017, 16:01
surprised your big amp with dac doesnt have a usb

It does mention something about USB on the 'Listen' section of the set-up control panel (accessed via the remote control), but I don't know how to connect a source up to it, via USB. Here's a pic of the connections on the back of the amp:

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/924/o4A6Ec.jpg

Marco.

Stratmangler
27-11-2017, 16:13
It's on the front panel.
The USB, that is :eyebrows:

struth
27-11-2017, 16:14
will be a usb mass storage device input. ie hard drive etc.

Stratmangler
27-11-2017, 16:21
will be a usb mass storage device input. ie hard drive etc.

Good point!

Marco
27-11-2017, 16:31
After watching this video review of the amp: www.cnet.com/products/sony-str-dn1060/

...it mentioned something about having 'Spotify connect'. So I had a fiddle with the remote control and accessed the 'Listen' menu, and within that there was a 'Music Services' section, where both Chromecast and Spotify were available.

All I had to do was ensure that the amp and my laptop (loaded with the Spotify app) were connected on the same network. Then link them both via the 'Devices Available' icon, shown beside the sliding volume control on said app, and play some music, which I did, and which then blissfully came through the speakers in my system! :yay: :yay:

Now that there's no laptop or HDMI lead in the equation, it sounds MUCH better, with no gain issues! I now just need to have a good listen and compare it sonically with the same music on CD and via the RPi, which will be much easier now that there's a 'level playing field', as it were.

Job done (for now)! :cool:

Marco.

struth
27-11-2017, 16:40
thats good. Never thought that amp would have that in it...well without you knowing ;)

struth
27-11-2017, 16:41
you'll still need laptop as interface, or a tablet

WAD62
27-11-2017, 16:43
There appears to be the capability of running Spotify with Moode - I suggest having a word with your Tech Support.
You could give piCorePlayer a go - it has LMS and a fully working Spotify plugin already incorporated.
piCorePlayer is what I run on my RasPi - running my Squeezeboxes.

The beauty of using piCorePlayer running LMS is that the Spotify app (Spotty) can be set up as a Spotify endpoint from the user Spotify application (you can control the player via the Spotify web servers).

Seconded!

The ability to integrate spotify into the same playlist/player as your NAS flac library makes spotify a much more appealing option for me, via the spotty plugin it's much more album centric...and it provides the benefits from whatever 'upgrades' you've made to your lossless streamer, (USB isolation and cables, PSU, etc.), to your spotify source too, it just acts as an additional library for LMS :cool:

Marco
27-11-2017, 16:45
thats good. Never thought that amp would have that in it...well without you knowing ;)

Exactly, which is why it pays to actually know what your equipment can do, rather than a daftee like me who didn't! :doh:

I just hadn't experimented enough with its features to have discovered that. Handy little function to have, though :thumbsup:

Marco.

Marco
27-11-2017, 16:46
you'll still need laptop as interface, or a tablet

I'm using my Mac Pro laptop as the interface. Already said that, daftee! ;)

Marco.

jandl100
27-11-2017, 17:15
Just a thought, not sure if it's been mentioned ... Spotify has a volume control feature. On my screen it is in the bottom righthand corner.

Also my PC has volume control in the Control Panel, Hardware and Sound / Sound / Manage Audio Devices section. Spotify is separately controlled there along with any other audio process.

montesquieu
27-11-2017, 17:19
Just a thought, not sure if it's been mentioned ... Spotify has a volume control feature. On my screen it is in the bottom righthand corner.

Useful indeed if the phone rings but I tend to use the volume control on the preamp.

Marco
27-11-2017, 17:23
Yup I know that, Jerry. It's a non-issue now, as it was the laptop and/or HDMI cable that were fecking things up! That's not in the equation now :)

Marco.

jandl100
27-11-2017, 17:23
Useful indeed if the phone rings but I tend to use the volume control on the preamp.

Well, OK -- but my point was intended to check if Spot volume was at max. :doh: :lol:

Marco
27-11-2017, 17:30
It was :)

Marco.

Marco
27-11-2017, 17:50
The ability to integrate spotify into the same playlist/player as your NAS flac library makes spotify a much more appealing option for me...

Hi Will,

I know what you mean, but that doesn't worry me. Now that I've successfully linked my laptop (with Spotify app) and Sony amp to the same network, thus can play music on Spotify through my AV system, and hear it properly, it's fine.

All I have to do is swap between the tabs on my laptop for Moode (to access the 10TB of music stored on my hard-drives), and the tab for Spotify, to play stuff on there, and select the appropriate input on the amp. And Spotify is sounding really good now! :)

However, it would be interesting being able to access Spotify, via Moode, which would then mean I could compare how it sounds through the DAC in the Sony amp, versus through the IQ Audio one, used with the RPi. I'll see if I can make that happen and report back :cool:

Marco.

jandl100
27-11-2017, 18:00
..... And Spotify is sounding really good now! :).

Yay. :)

Marco
27-11-2017, 18:09
Just shows you, Jerry, how easy it is to come to the wrong conclusions about something when you're not using it correctly. If anyone else is listening to Spotify, simply by connecting their laptop to their amp, via an HDMI cable (or some such), then forget it, as it really hobbles the sound!

I'll now revisit the comparison between Spotify and Amazon Music, and report back. I suspect things will have changed now :)

Marco.

Tim
27-11-2017, 18:14
Just shows you, Jerry, how easy it is to come to the wrong conclusions about something when you're not using it correctly through your system!
:dance:

I have to be honest though Marco
simply by connecting their laptop to their amp, via an HDMI cable (or some such), then forget it, as it really hobbles the sound! I'm surprised you would have, even with your limited Spotify experience :scratch:

Got there in the end though :)

mikmas
27-11-2017, 18:33
However, it would be interesting being able to access Spotify, via Moode, ....

Marco.

Hi Marco,
Moode doesn't support Spotify 'out of the box' but mikeyb started a thread some time back with a workaround:

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?53286-Spotify-Connect-on-MoOde-Working-)

WAD62
27-11-2017, 18:36
Hi Will,

I know what you mean, but that doesn't worry me. Now that I've successfully linked my laptop (with Spotify app) and Sony amp to the same network, thus can play music on Spotify through my AV system, and hear it properly, it's fine.

All I have to do is swap between the tabs on my laptop for Moode (to access the 10TB of music stored on my hard-drives), and the tab for Spotify, to play stuff on there, and select the appropriate input on the amp. And Spotify is sounding really good now! :)

However, it would be interesting being able to access Spotify, via Moode, which would then mean I could compare how it sounds through the DAC in the Sony amp, versus through the IQ Audio one, used with the RPi. I'll see if I can make that happen and report back :cool:

Marco.

Hi Marco,

I don't know about moode, but it's certainly achievable on a pi with LMS & PiCorePlayer...

Marco
27-11-2017, 18:38
Hi Marco,
Moode doesn't support Spotify 'out of the box' but mikeyb started a thread some time back with a workaround:

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?53286-Spotify-Connect-on-MoOde-Working-)

Hi Mike,

Nice one. Thanks for that. I'll have a read :)

Marco.

Marco
27-11-2017, 18:39
Hi Marco,

I don't know about moode, but it's certainly achievable on a pi with LMS & PiCorePlayer...

Ok, so bearing in mind you're talking largely to a technology numptie, what is LMS, and would the PiCoreplayer replace Moode - and if so how? :)

Marco.

WAD62
27-11-2017, 18:51
Ok, so bearing in mind you're talking largely to a technology numptie, what is LMS, and would the PiCoreplayer replace Moode - and if so how? :)

Marco.

LMS is Logitech Media Server, think of it as a replacement for moode, although it's open source and is packaged by different distributors, piCorePlayer, MaX2play etc

I run LMS (piCorePlayer 3.20) centrally on an Rpi3 running only LMS , this references my NAS library, and also Spotify account (via another open source API called spotty). You can make this a stand alone player or, as I do, have it feeding multiple players/streamers, in my case a mixture of SBTouches, and RPis, amongst which is pi2 with an IQaudio HAT.

Integrating your FLAC collection and streaming services at the music server/LMS means that all sources are available via the same playlist on the same streamer...or any of the 4.

P.S. there's a new plugin for lossless radio paradise available for LMS too

All controllable from a smartphone/tablet app, browser, IR SB remote, or finally SBtouch screen...spotify just appears as another catalogue, you don't have to switch to a spotify interface...

Marco
27-11-2017, 19:06
Thanks. I get most of that, but wouldn't have a clue how to go about replacing what I've got with it - or even if I'd want to, lol. I'm happy with things are they are :)

Marco.

WAD62
27-11-2017, 19:46
Thanks. I get most of that, but wouldn't have a clue how to go about replacing what I've got with it - or even if I'd want to, lol. I'm happy with things are they are :)

Marco.

One for the future perhaps...:cool:

Marco
27-11-2017, 20:48
Perhaps, but you're into the whole file-based audio thing more than me :)

Btw, just for reference, I listened again to Amazon music, and Spotify now sounds notably better.

Marco.

WAD62
27-11-2017, 21:13
Perhaps, but you're into the whole file-based audio thing more than me :)

Btw, just for reference, I listened again to Amazon music, and Spotify now sounds notably better.

Marco.

It's a bit of a work/hobby overlap...;)

If my facts are right Amazon Prime is 256kb/s, and Spotify Premium is 310kb/s, which explains things...

struth
27-11-2017, 21:17
Probably depends on how they are being streamed too.

Rothchild
28-11-2017, 17:27
Seconded!

The ability to integrate spotify into the same playlist/player as your NAS flac library makes spotify a much more appealing option for me, via the spotty plugin it's much more album centric...and it provides the benefits from whatever 'upgrades' you've made to your lossless streamer, (USB isolation and cables, PSU, etc.), to your spotify source too, it just acts as an additional library for LMS :cool:

Spotify runs very nicely with Mopidy, I partiularly like the 'Iris' interface to bring it all together. It's a slightly more advanced than basic configuration but not actually difficult.

Hopefully once the dietpi guys have got moode running properly we'll be able to have all these wonderful things ;-)

jandl100
29-11-2017, 19:34
Spotify uses the .ogg format which most agree is superior to .mp3 like for like. So 320kbps .ogg on a level playing field 'should' sound superior to 320kbps .mp3. Now it's not something I have researched recently, but Amazon used to stream .mp3 at 256kbps, so logic dictates it should be inferior to Spotify, which my testing confirmed - it was quite clear too.

That's interesting, I didn't know about the different format that Spotify uses.
It certainly has always sounded better to me than MP3, and quite substantially so - it really does sound CD Quality to me.
And yes, as I previously said, Amazon Music trails a long way behind.
Maybe I'm not deaf after all. :)

brian2957
29-11-2017, 19:40
I also tested Amazon music on my system and Spotify was very audibly superior .

jandl100
29-11-2017, 19:42
Yeah, that's 99p I won't see again. :(

:D

brian2957
29-11-2017, 19:45
:D

Gazjam
29-11-2017, 20:15
Marco,
You need Roon in your life.

Trust me on this one Boss.

Marco
29-11-2017, 22:04
Aye, Roon the bend! :D

Marco.

Gazjam
29-11-2017, 22:28
Aye, Roon the bend! :D

Marco.

Totally... :)
https://roonlabs.com/

Marco
29-11-2017, 22:34
Lol - yeah, I've heard of it mate, but I wouldn't have a clue what I'd need to do to use it :)

Marco.

Gazjam
29-11-2017, 22:52
Its fit n forget Marco.
Know you just want stuff that “just works”....

Roon is what you want.

Next time your coming up to the old Country to see Dave or the rellies...come over for a visit.
You know I'm a Computer Audio guy...this supercedes any of the stuff I was doing or looking into.

Its the Endgame for digital audio as far as Im concerned.
Check it out.
http://www.tonepublications.com/spotlight/roon-is-here-worlds-first-in-depth-review/

WAD62
30-11-2017, 08:32
Its fit n forget Marco.
Know you just want stuff that “just works”....

Roon is what you want.

Next time your coming up to the old Country to see Dave or the rellies...come over for a visit.
You know I was a big Computer Audio guy...this supercedes any of the stuff I was doing or looking into.

Its the Endgame for digital audio as far as Im concerned.
Check it out.
http://www.tonepublications.com/spotlight/roon-is-here-worlds-first-in-depth-review/

Hi Gaz, does Roon support Spotify integration?

struth
30-11-2017, 08:35
nope.

struth
30-11-2017, 08:45
Just cancelled my Spotify service. Deezer does it better and is hifi

wee tee cee
30-11-2017, 08:48
Just saw this thread, Im with Marco.

I use spotify premium to find music ,i then go and buy the CD rip it lossless.

Gary was over at mine recently and helped me ghost/convert all my lossless stuff on itunes to another lap top now using foobar.

Same result sound wise.

wee tee cee
30-11-2017, 08:49
Grant,
After our chat I may well follow suit.....

struth
30-11-2017, 09:00
only downside is hifi only works from a desktop app(ie no tablets)at moment but sound is good enough to offset that. they are up to 43 million tracks now.

struth
30-11-2017, 09:01
Might add I now dont have to buy cd's

Gazjam
30-11-2017, 09:08
Sound quality aside, a factor I think with streaming services is availability of artists and/or albums you like.

Is there a clear winner in this category?
I have a Tidl Hifi and Amazon Music subs, worth looking into others?

Roon has Tidal integration, Tidal albums/playlists etc integrate with your own music, shame it doesn't do this with any of the other services.

struth
30-11-2017, 09:16
Think they all have the staples Gary, but some specialise in certain types more I guess. Deezer has good mix, and a lot of jazz. None have everything. I felt deezer hifi to sound better than Tidal hifi although that may well be just my preference.

mightymonoped
30-11-2017, 09:17

Gary was over at mine recently and helped me ghost/convert all my lossless stuff on itunes to another lap top now using foobar.

+1 on this.

I use a NAS as my main storage library for all MP3 and FLAC files
JRiver MC as the means to rip FLAC files from CD to the library
Volumio as the means of accessing both the NAS library and Spotify (including playlists) using phone or tablet
RPi/Allo Boss DAC to the amplifier.

Spotify is used primarily as a music discovery platform, I would be tempted by a lossless streaming service but am waiting to see what develops with Spotify (as I suspect it will have to offer this service soon).
Same result sound wise.

Tim
30-11-2017, 09:20
Maybe I'm not deaf after all. :)
Nope definitely not Jerry - I must admit when I read Marco's first post on the subject, I did roll my eyes thinking 'oh here we go again, more digital bashing', but when he proclaimed Amazon Music audibly better than Spotify I thought, well I'm not having that and called foul. Haha, glad the books have been balanced now though :)

Yes .ogg is a better format than .mp3, .mp3 is getting a bit long in the tooth now, but it's a universal format and most people don't really care beyond that. 320kbps .ogg is pretty good in fairness, especially with good mastering on the original recording.

Tim
30-11-2017, 09:25
Roon has Tidal integration, Tidal albums/playlists etc integrate with your own music, shame it doesn't do this with any of the other services.
As soon as Roon integrates Spotify as well as Tidal I'd be in full-time, but I'm not sure that will ever happen? Roon is pretty slick it has to be said, especially if you like to explore the actual artist and recording, rather than just listening to the music.

Top choice for the music geek :)

struth
30-11-2017, 09:50
As soon as Roon integrates Spotify as well as Tidal I'd be in full-time, but I'm not sure that will ever happen? Roon is pretty slick it has to be said, especially if you like to explore the actual artist and recording, rather than just listening to the music.

Top choice for the music geek :)

doubt that will happen. Spotty guys dont do that kinda thing it seems:rolleyes: Problem with spotify is they have had had it too much their own way and think they dont need to adapt.

WAD62
30-11-2017, 10:06

Likewise...I couldn't contemplate becoming reliant upon a streaming service...

struth
30-11-2017, 10:46
I will maybe not be reliant on it although I will use it mostly. Still keeping the music I have which is extensive enough for most i think. Its a great way to listen. especially on headphones

jandl100
30-11-2017, 17:47
Deezer, eh?

OK - having a look.
Their Premium Plus service (equivalent to Spotify Premium, I think) is on offer at 99p for 3 months, so I have signed up to that.

At first listen seems a bit better sound than Spot Premium. Slightly better defined and with a tad more presence.
At first glance, their classical catalogue looks pretty good. Perhaps not as broad as Spot, but need to look further.
Deezer's music indexing isn't as good as Spot, which is a bit of a pain. It's also partly incorrect on the album I'm currently playing - not a good sign with so little played so far!

Yes, Deezer's Premium Plus sound is defo better than Spot Premium so far - should it be? :scratch:

struth
30-11-2017, 18:13
you can try the beta service maybe and get the hifi. different pc app tho, and not the one via the windows store

jandl100
30-11-2017, 18:16
Cor - the indexing can be utter bollocks on Deezer. :doh: Finding particular classical albums is driving me a bit crazy at times. :facepull:

struth
30-11-2017, 18:19
not tried it re classical tbh. god with jazz, blues etc. it does need exact spelling

WAD62
30-11-2017, 20:31
R.E. Deezer, is there any way of obtaining their 'elite' (lossless) serviced without having to buy an effing Sonos...

Apparently LMS can stream the elite service via the ickStream plugin, but it looks like the signup is only offered to Sonos users...who are unlikely to reap the full benefits of lossless...IMHO ;)

struth
30-11-2017, 20:46
https://www.deezer.com/en/download

think this is the beta version

WAD62
30-11-2017, 21:47
https://www.deezer.com/en/download

think this is the beta version

...cheers Grant!

Edit: The world's shortest 'elite' subscription...The LMS ickStream interface to deezer is of limited use, whilst I can find and stream lossless music (which sounds excellent!), I can't add/save anything to a catalogue, or even favourites...perhaps a better plugin will be released...

jandl100
02-12-2017, 06:50
... and back to Spotify for me.

Deez vs Spot sound quality turned out to vary from recording to recording. Overall Deezer was a bit clearer but also less spacious and more 2D. On consideration, I prefer Spot's way with the music.
Also the Deez indexing and track info is often appalling for classical listings. A real downer for me.

Enjoying Spot again. :)

WAD62
02-12-2017, 10:39
Also the Deez indexing and track info is often appalling for classical listings. A real downer for me.

...I entered a search for 'johann sebastian bach', then selected him as an artist, added him to my artist list, around 450 albums to browse through...all of which were junk, 'Chilled Classics', 'Driving Classics', 'OMG it's the Classics!' etc...not good! :doh:

jandl100
02-12-2017, 10:55
Yes. There's a lot of good stuff there, but you need to be careful, and lucky, with your search words to find it.

Spotify seems to have the better catalogue, with my searches I found several albums in Spotify that aren't in Deezer, but only one the other way.

struth
02-12-2017, 11:03
never really looked at classical on any streaming services. going by what I listen to, it has plenty of my styles. None will have everything of course but at 43mil deezer has plenty for me. The lossless streams have made such a difference as there were a few on spotty that just sounded poor but sound good on deezer(piano stuff especially)