PDA

View Full Version : UHD-when will it be available?

Covenant
26-11-2017, 14:20
Lots of people including me are buying UHD tv's and then finding there is nothing to watch. As far as I can tell there is a BBC sports channel, a few things on you tube and Netflix but bugger all else. Also, I think your set top box needs to be UHD ready.
It has been talked about for a long time, anyone got more knowledge about when it will become readily available.

bobvfr
26-11-2017, 15:34
Bottom line is the normal broadcasters are still working out what to do regards 4k. I would guess the BBC would look at using iPlayer to allow 4k over the internet,not sure how they will broadcast in 4k especially over the Arial compared to satellite.

So at the moment it's Netflix, Amazon, some Sky and BT sports packages.

Yes any set top box or even the TV itself will need to be able to receive and throughput any 4k broadcasts. Otherwise your TV would be "4k ready", just like a lot of HD TV's of a little while ago, the TV had an HD screen but the tuners may only be SD so they were sold as HD ready.

Having said that, don't worry your 4k TV is still (Or should be) head and shoulders above an HD TV as most of them can upscale and massively improve the picture compared to a standard HD set.

I have a Panasonic TX-65CX802B 65 inch 4k 3d and just upgraded by software HDR and ran a test today.

I watched one of the Netflix "Moving art" films, firstly through Netflix on the TV so full 4k with HDR, then through my standard Xbox One so up scaled HD, then ran the same film on my wife's 50 inch HD TV.

No surprise on a score out of 10 out of 10 the full 4k blows everything away and gets 10 out of 10 the up scaled HD maybe a 7 out of 10, the plain HD a 3 out of 10.

And yes I am replacing my Xbox One with a 4k Xbox One X very soon.

Marco
26-11-2017, 17:38
Los of people including me are buying UHD tv's and then finding there is nothing to watch. As far as I can tell there is a BBC sports channel, a few things on you tube and Netflix but bugger all else.

Hi Jerry,

How's it going? Hope you are well :)

Right now, to experience UHD, you really need to subscribe to Sky, as there are a plethora of movies to choose from on UHD, and of course live events on Sky Sports. In terms of both, I can say that the quality is superb, viewed on my Sony 4K TV.

Marco.

bobvfr
26-11-2017, 18:06
For me the problem is I really dislike SKY and the Murdoch's, but I will review the situation when I move to my new house after Xmas.

narabdela
26-11-2017, 18:54
...you really need to subscribe to Sky...

Pay money to the Evil Empire? Never! I still have some principles left. :nono:

Marco
26-11-2017, 20:03
Lol, guys.... I completely agree, *but* ultimately I love watching my favourite team (Glasgow Celtic) too much to deprive myself of that, simply because of my political principles, i.e. I love Celtic more than I hate Murdoch!

It might be different if I still lived in Scotland, and could both get to games easily and watch Sportscene (and Celtic matches) on terrestial TV (BBC1 Scotland), but living in Wales means that's not possible. The only way to see my team play on TV, is to watch them on Sky Sports/BT Sport :)

Marco.

mikmas
26-11-2017, 20:14
It might be different if I still lived in Scotland, and could both get to games easily and watch Sportscene (and Celtic matches) on terrestial TV (BBC1 Scotland), but living in Wales means that's not possible. The only way to see my team play on TV, is to watch them on Sky Sports/BT Sport :)

Marco.

Worth noting that you can easily watch BBC Scotland via the BBC website (connect your Mac to the telly or watch on monitor) Click on the 'TV' link and switch region to Scotland - job done !

Marco
26-11-2017, 20:19
Hi Mike,

Yup true, but I'd only get match highlights. The games themselves are live on Sky Sports or BT Sport, so ultimately some form of subscription is necessary :)

Marco.

Covenant
26-11-2017, 21:36
Hi Marco
I am good thanks. I got rid of Sky years ago and i am not going back. They are rip off merchants.

Marco
26-11-2017, 21:49
Glad you're well, Jerry. No worries, I can understand why you feel that way :)

Marco.