PDA

View Full Version : The Thing

wee tee cee
23-11-2017, 04:18
A british company has cleaned up and restored John Carpenters The Thing-they have done a great job.

If you liked it on dvd/blu ray tis version ups the ante IMHO.

Marco
23-11-2017, 07:23
Got any links to what you're referring to, Tony, so we can get some more info? :)

Marco.

struth
23-11-2017, 08:54
here ya go... https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thing-Blu-ray-Kurt-Russell/dp/B074WVZK5T/ref=tmm_blu_title_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Marco
23-11-2017, 09:17
Cheers, mate. I'll get that, as it's one of my favourite films! :cool:

Marco.

Gazjam
23-11-2017, 09:29
Great movie, one of my favourites.
Thanks for the heads up tony, will wait for the (inevitable) 4K UHD release.

Fingers crossed Arrow re-masters The Fog next. :)

Marco
23-11-2017, 09:35
Indeed :)

In terms of a 4K UHD release, you'd think that if they were going to do that, they'd have done it with the remastered reissue, thus bringing things up to the current highest spec?

Anyway, I'm happy with the Blu-ray for now. If the 4K UHD release happens, I'll get it on Sky Box Office :cool:

Marco.

struth
23-11-2017, 09:45
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thing-Limited-Blu-ray-Kurt-Russell/dp/B073M2946S

4k version

Marco
23-11-2017, 10:36
Lol - wait no longer then! Ordered :thumbsup:

Marco.

Gazjam
23-11-2017, 11:10
Is this definitely UHD, or is it 1080p Blueray from a 4K remaster?
No mention of UHD in the description...just wondering.

struth
23-11-2017, 11:12
its a 4k scan of the original film.(ltd edition)

Arrow Video added 3 new photos.
14 July ·

NEW UK TITLE: The Thing Limited Edition (Blu-ray)

One of the most celebrated sci-fi horrors ever made, now newly restored by Arrow Video.
Limited to 4,000 units.

Pre-order your copy via Arrow here: http://bit.ly/2vkWa8S
Pre-order your copy via Amazon here: http://amzn.to/2uhnAzE
Release Date: 23rd October 2017

THE ULTIMATE IN ALIEN TERROR

Over the years, star Kurt Russell and master of horror John Carpenter have teamed up on a multitude of films (Big Trouble in Little China and Escape from New York to name a few) – but of all their collaborations, 1982’s horror/sci-fi amalgam The Thing surely tops the list.

A research team based out in the snowy wilds of Antarctica find themselves besieged by a terrifying, shape-shifting creature which has found its way into their base. When it becomes clear that the creature can take the form of any organism it so chooses, the tension within the team reaches breaking point – any one of them could be… The Thing.

Critically panned at the time of its release, John Carpenter’s The Thing has rightly gone on to become one of the most celebrated sci-fi horror efforts ever made – now newly restored by Arrow Video in a stunning 4K transfer supervised by Carpenter and director of photography Dean Cundey.

LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS

• Brand new restoration from a 4K scan of the original negative, supervised and approved by director John Carpenter and director of photography Dean Cundey
• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
• Original Mono and DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
• Audio commentary by John Carpenter and actor Kurt Russell
• Who Goes There? In Search of The Thing – an all-new feature length documentary produced by Ballyhoo Motion Pictures exploring the history of The Thing, from the original novella to John Carpenter's terrifying science fiction classic. Featuring new interviews with the cast and crew, as well as authors, historians, and critics
• 1982: One Amazing Summer – an all-new retrospective documentary produced by Ballyhoo Motion Pictures about the unforgettable films released in the summer of 1982
• John Carpenter's The Thing: Terror Takes Shape – archive documentary on the background and production of the film
• Vintage Featurettes
• Outtakes
• Behind-the-Scenes
• Trailers, Teasers, TV and Radio Spots
• Still Galleries
• Poster
• Lobby Cards
• Book containing new writing on the film
• Newly commissioned artwork by Gary Pullin

Marco
23-11-2017, 11:22
Is this definitely UHD, or is it 1080p Blueray from a 4K remaster?
No mention of UHD in the description...just wondering.

Yeah, that thought had also crossed my mind. Still, it's the highest quality version currently available, which will do me for now :cool:

Marco.

struth
23-11-2017, 11:30
the dearer one is the 4k transfer and ltd to 4000 copies

Marco
23-11-2017, 11:38
Yup, which is why I've bought it :)

Marco.

wee tee cee
23-11-2017, 11:46
I spunked 129 quid on a new blu ray player at richer sounds-audio side is two channell with a stan seg taking care of the noise and a tq claymore/spendor sp1s making the noise.....heavens above!!!!

Couldnt believe the difference this company has made to one of my favourite films.majik!!!!!

Hope you guys enjoy it.....still frightens the shite out me!!!!

Gazjam
23-11-2017, 12:01
4000 copies of the 4K Transfer you say...bought!
Thanks for the link Grant.

Have a new Bluray player coming soon too Tony, looking forward to having a play.

wee tee cee
23-11-2017, 14:31
A wee get together is always on the cards, had mikie b over yesterday-good laugh and great tunes!!!

struth
23-11-2017, 14:34
4000 copies of the 4K Transfer you say...bought!
Thanks for the link Grant.

Have a new Bluray player coming soon too Tony, looking forward to having a play.

so they say, yup. I dont do 4k.. hell I struggle to get hd:eyebrows:

Marco
23-11-2017, 14:55
A wee get together is always on the cards, had mikie b over yesterday-good laugh and great tunes!!!

Quality.... Did you get to introduce some glowing thermionic lurveliness to Mikey with his Tannoys? ;)

Marco.

Marco
23-11-2017, 14:56
so they say, yup. I dont do 4k.. hell I struggle to get hd:eyebrows:

Lol... Blu-ray player and 4K TV here :cool:

Marco.

struth
23-11-2017, 15:02
Lol... Blu-ray player and 4K TV here :cool:

Marco.

Got bluray but the tvs are "a form of hd" :eyebrows: Upscaled i think.. not sure. Pic is good enough for me when i get a sergio closeup

wee tee cee
23-11-2017, 15:37
He might have went away with a boot full of amps/pres/cables/interconnects/psu/battery pack- be rude not to let is tannoys enjoy some valve love.

wee tee cee
23-11-2017, 16:30
if it helps anybody I got my copy at Sainsbury-checked its the 4k one. 20 bucks but I didnae tell Lou that!!!!

Marco
23-11-2017, 17:26
He might have went away with a boot full of amps/pres/cables/interconnects/psu/battery pack- be rude not to let is tannoys enjoy some valve love.

Aha... Indeed! Be interesting what he reports on the forum (as I'm sure he'll do) once he's had a listen :eyebrows:

Marco.

wee tee cee
23-11-2017, 17:45
calm yer jets marco....t amps/kel 84 power and monos/tvc/bte,tissie pre and some wires-nothing special tubes wise.

Just tae gie one of the scottish mafia a play no obligation.

Had so much help and support over the years by our community-gies somebody a bit of un to go down avenues cost free.

I reckon his refurbed drivers need shit more time to get on song.

Glasgow Evening times has a translation device for weegie patter for the poor souls reading this pish!!!!

Mikie b can have a wee play at his leisure.

Marco
23-11-2017, 17:48
Aye, nae borra, ma man - ah wisnae suggestin hee-haw different! :eyebrows:

Marco.

struth
23-11-2017, 17:58
U wiz in at

Marco
23-11-2017, 18:12
Dinnae ken whit yur haeverin' aboot :eyebrows:

Marco.

wee tee cee
24-11-2017, 04:30
Aye ken, yell have had yer tea then!!!

Marco
24-11-2017, 09:05
Aye ken, alang wi that wee radge fae Morningside :D

Marco.

Pharos
24-11-2017, 10:58
Bloody good ground breaking film, and in animatronics.

wee tee cee
24-11-2017, 16:20
The opening sequence with the space ship entering earths atmosphere and the sound track gave me a sit up moment!!!!

Look forward to you guys havin a wee swatch and gien us the down!!!!

(marco- feel free to translate!)

Marco
24-11-2017, 23:40
My esteemed colleague has remarked that he is eagerly anticipating other members viewing the film, and subsequently proffering their critique.

Marco.

wee tee cee
25-11-2017, 03:07
ya dancer-thats the script!!! Yaldi!!!

Marco
25-12-2017, 23:52
Watched the Blu-ray earlier and it was fab! They've done a superb job of both the picture and sound quality on this revamped version... Highly recommended! :cool:

Marco.

struth
26-12-2017, 00:06
Watched the Blu-ray earlier and it was fab! They've done a superb job of both the picture and sound quality on this revamped version... Highly recommended! :cool:

Marco.

got that coming on blueray hopefully very soon. glad its been done well.. only a standard blueray i think but good enough for my setup

Marco
26-12-2017, 11:34
Yeah the 4k one was (visually) stunning - all that was missing was the surround sound! :eyebrows:

Marco.