PDA

View Full Version : Hello...

Medievilclown
20-11-2017, 21:44
Hi All,

Just a little about myself, I am 54 and have a wide and varied taste in music from John Martyn to Jon Gomm.

I live in sunny Norfolk...well sometimes it is! I have been enjoying music for as long as I can remember and am still to be found struggling with a growing collection of guitars and amps...still don't seem to be able to make them sound like they do on albums though...

My current system comprises of
Yamaha YP 800 turntable
Black Widow arm
Ortofon 510 cart...
New Cyrus One amp
Cyrus DAD3 with Q24 mod
PSX-R
Cyrus AV Master 8
Cambridge Audio interconnects
Aegis Evo 3 mains
Aegis Evo1 rears
Aegis Evo centre
BK P300 sub
Chord Clearway cables and links.

Thats about it for now although I do still have a Cyrus 3 amp, A NAD 3020 and a spare pair of Evo 3's and 1's kicking about...
As for future plans, well I think it's time for a turntable upgrade after 35 years, the Yamaha has been solid with the Widow arm and a selection of carts over the years, but I have a hankering for Michell Gyrodec, although I still wouldn't say no to a Linn...

Well that's enough flibberty gibbeting for me for now...I'm off for a cuppa tea and some Rodrigo Y Gabriella for a start...

walpurgis
21-11-2017, 09:10
Hello Simon. Welcome to AOS.

That's an unusual combination, a YP-800 with Black Widow arm, but if it works, it works! It would probably be really good with a vintage ADC cartridge.

There's plenty going on here, so take a look around and feel free to join in the chat. It's a friendly place.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

Medievilclown
21-11-2017, 21:35
I have never actually thought about it much to be honest, I bought it secondhand some 35 years ago now along with a pair of BBC monitors which I stupidly later sold and regretted immediately, the ortofon cart was only a temporary stop gap that seems to have out stayed it's usefulness...I may well take up your suggestion for an ADC as I have never tried one, but as I say I am in the process of hopefully acquiring a Gyrodec as soon as funds allow.

Cheers for now.
Simon.

walpurgis
21-11-2017, 22:01
Yes, a nice ADC 10E Mk.IV or ADC XLM III with a good original stylus should work rather nicely in the Black Widow and of course, sound very good.

Barry
22-11-2017, 14:33
Welcome to AoS Simon,

Yes, your Black Widow arm is one of the few arms with a low enough effective mass (3g for the BW)) that can match the very high compliance of ADC cartridges. I have used an ADC25 cartridge (compliance ~50cu) in one to good effect with no problems.

Enjoy the Forum
Barry

Medievilclown
22-11-2017, 20:43
Thanks Barry,

I have started the search for a nice ADC cartridge to try.

Cheers

Simon.

walpurgis
22-11-2017, 20:51
I have started the search for a nice ADC cartridge to try

There are good ones and less good examples. If you're not sure of the model, we can give an opinion.

Medievilclown
08-12-2017, 12:39
Hi Geoff,

Wondering if you can help with the ADC cartridge that I was looking at I appear to of inadvertantly picked up a VLM MK111 and not the XLM MK111 that I thought I had bought, but I did pick up a very good original XLM MK111 stylus as the one I bought needed a new stylus...question is, how do you differentiate between a MK11 and MK111 XLM cartridge without a stylus fitted as they don't appear to be marked except on the stylus itself? Is there actually a difference between them at all?

As far as it goes since starting my quest to try the ADC cartridge, I have since been fortunate enough to have bought myself a gorgeous black and brass Michell Gyrodek with a Jelco 750D arm and Whest .20 phono stage to replace the Yamaha and Black Widow...which brings me back to the original problem of I now need a cartridge for this setup...but having blown most of my budget on the turntable and phono I have very limited funds for a cartridge to a maximum of around £300 give or take, any suggestions?
I still have an Audio Technica AT30E tucked away in the drawer somewhere in need of a new stylus...
Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Simon.

walpurgis
08-12-2017, 14:09
Hi Geoff,

Wondering if you can help with the ADC cartridge that I was looking at I appear to of inadvertantly picked up a VLM MK111 and not the XLM MK111 that I thought I had bought, but I did pick up a very good original XLM MK111 stylus as the one I bought needed a new stylus...question is, how do you differentiate between a MK11 and MK111 XLM cartridge without a stylus fitted as they don't appear to be marked except on the stylus itself? Is there actually a difference between them at all?

Hi Simon. I'm not aware of any difference between the Mk.II body and the Mk.III.

Each of these ADC's will sound pleasant. The VLM has less resolution, but is nice enough. The XLM III is more detailed than the XLM II.

The sound from the XLM III is very similar to the ADC 10E Mk.IV. I've compared them. Both fine cartridges.

bobvfr
08-12-2017, 15:49
Welcome and how are you getting on with the Cyrus One, I am thinking about one for next year.

Medievilclown
08-12-2017, 15:52
Thanks for the advice that clears up that story for me makes it easier to sort out what to do next, Cheers.

Medievilclown
08-12-2017, 16:00
Hi Bob,
I love the One it delivers exactly as I hoped it would, had a cyrus 111 before it and the original cyrus before that, all fine amps in there day, I bought myself an cyrus 8vs on a whim...as you do...and although it was very nice it would overheat and shut itself down, after talking with Chris in the Cyrus service department he suggested that the new One was a much finer amp and to try it out...he was right, don't think you will be disapointed with it I'm certainly not, it has more to offer than I will ever need.