PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl tip for static!

Jimbo
18-11-2017, 10:05
One of the problems we all have with vinyl playback is static and clicks and pops caused by the static dragging dust into the grooves so I have tried to find solutions to improve this problem which can be annoying to say the least.

I am fortunate enough to have a good RCM (VPI 16.5 ) which does a good job of both cleaning and reducing static but it is only a temporary solution even when I store records in Nagoaka anti static record sleeves.

So I looked at my record playing ritual and as a rule I always use a carbon fibre brush before playing a record. I stopped using this and the amount of static reduced significantly:scratch: This did however have a knock on effect which allowed more dust and fluff to build up on the record. I ignored this and decided if I could not hear it I would live with it. It does mean however I have to clean my stylus a bit more often. I can live with this as the static problem is so much reduced.

Secondly I have a turntable that has no cover which is obviously means it's a dust magnet so the platter mat gets a fine covering if I leave it for a week. Solution, I leave an old LP record on the platter when I am not using it. This seems to not only act as a dust cover it also helps reduce static when I pop a record on.

Hope some of these tips help anyone out there with static problems. I would be interested to hear if you observe the same results.:cool:

mikeyb
18-11-2017, 10:13
I was going to try some anti static cord over the top of the platter when playing as I get loads of static too, mainly on new records so I think it’s in the material used having a high static content.

The cord is used by printers to remove static when printing on laminate and similar materials. Only drawback is that it’s £250 for a 10m roll, but it would be very effective. I think there is a hifi firm trying to make a suitable device with it to fit on/over your turntable.

But in all honesty it just needs an earth at one end and a way of stretching it over the record without touching it.

struth
18-11-2017, 10:15
you tried an antistatic gun? my cleaning fluid also has some in which helps.

Jimbo
18-11-2017, 10:21
you tried an antistatic gun? my cleaning fluid also has some in which helps.

Not tried an anti static gun as I am a bit sceptical they work?

Jimbo
18-11-2017, 10:22
I was going to try some anti static cord over the top of the platter when playing as I get loads of static too, mainly on new records so I think it’s in the material used having a high static content.

The cord is used by printers to remove static when printing on laminate and similar materials. Only drawback is that it’s £250 for a 10m roll, but it would be very effective. I think there is a hifi firm trying to make a suitable device with it to fit on/over your turntable.

But in all honesty it just needs an earth at one end and a way of stretching it over the record without touching it.

That maybe a good solution Mike, if you can make it work?

struth
18-11-2017, 10:27

yes, they work. well mine does. ive 2; one is an old type but it still fires a bit out. dont last fot ever mind and are way overpriced but thats audio for you.:doh:

walpurgis
18-11-2017, 10:28

They do work, but it gets a bit tiresome using one for every record change.

Just keep a potted plant or two in the room, that helps keep static down.

YNWaN
18-11-2017, 10:33
I have a 'no dustcover' turntable and have made a disc to cover the platter when not in use.

The only time I encounter static is when I first open a record - after that I never have an issue. If you want to avoid static don't clean your records when they are on the platter - don't use an anti-static brush or carbon brush etc. Also, don't have the central heating on all the time - this dries out the air and is a significant contributor to static.

mikeyb
18-11-2017, 10:40
My anti stat gun must work fine, my grandson runs like hell when I chase him with it, well... he did ask to see how it felt, ONCE [emoji23]

walpurgis
18-11-2017, 10:42
My anti stat gun must work fine, my grandson runs like hell when I chase him with it, well... he did ask to see how it felt, ONCE [emoji23]

A cooker lighter is very similar, but dirt cheap. Just make sure it has no gas in if you try one. Both rely on a piezo element.

struth
18-11-2017, 10:44
you can buy cleanroom guns on ebay.

Primalsea
18-11-2017, 10:55
I have grounded the spindle and I find this helps a lot. Also if I have any issues with static caused by the carbon fibre brush I make sure That I touch something that is earthed, like the spindle, and that I am touching the carbon fibre of the brush. This seems to provide enough grounding to stop static building up. I also think that the platter mat is a big culprit, I have never got on with felt mats due to the static.

walpurgis
18-11-2017, 10:59
I have grounded the spindle and I find this helps a lot.

Assuming the turntable chassis is earthed correctly, surely the spindle is grounded through the bearing anyway. Unless it's a ceramic bearing or in a non-conductive housing?

Breezy
18-11-2017, 13:45
Interesting stuff, this. I also found that a carbon fibre brush tended to make things worse - weird! Also seems that some records are just inherently more staticky than others - sometimes it's a struggle to get them from the sleeve. Without a doubt, wet cleaning and anti-static liners make the most difference in my experience

Barry
18-11-2017, 14:08
I have grounded the spindle and I find this helps a lot. Also if I have any issues with static caused by the carbon fibre brush I make sure That I touch something that is earthed, like the spindle, and that I am touching the carbon fibre of the brush. This seems to provide enough grounding to stop static building up. I also think that the platter mat is a big culprit, I have never got on with felt mats due to the static.

That is the only way carbon fibre brushes should be used. If you don't 'earth' yourself, all you will do is induce static when cleaning a record.

The use of antistatic guns can do more harm than good if they are not used properly. Squeezing the trigger will generate negative ions which will help remove static build up on the record, releasing the trigger will generate positive ions which will simply undo the effect. So squeeze when the gun is pointed at the record and release with the gun pointed away.

A well-watered plant placed near the turntable works well.

Jazid
18-11-2017, 14:32
That is the only way carbon fibre brushes should be used. If you don't 'earth' yourself, all you will do is induce static when cleaning a record.

The use of antistatic guns can do more harm than good if they are not used properly. Squeezing the trigger will generate negative ions which will help remove static build up on the record, releasing the trigger will generate positive ions which will simply undo the effect. So squeeze when the gun is pointed at the record and release with the gun pointed away.

A well-watered plant placed near the turntable works well.Funny that, when I bought my zerostat forty odd years ago the instructions stated that one should squeeze and release slowly several times whilst pointing the gun at the record from about 30cm IIRC. That is what I continue to do and it seems to work just fine, as does the zerostat. Forty years of continuous use, in my world, represents a good product priced accord to its utility value and not over priced.
I have had terrible trouble with cork mats in the past, and still experience static build up whilst the record plays, presumably from friction between the stylus and the groove. I use zerostat at the beginning and end of each side 's a result.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Haselsh1
18-11-2017, 14:40
To keep some of the dust off mine I use an old unwanted white acrylic turntable mat that is never going to be used as it should be. Saves a bit of time but I still have to clean the whole thing on a regular basis. Another aspect of owning and using a turntable I guess. For me though it is worth it as only a month or so back I was contemplating getting rid of the bloody lot

:eyebrows:

Jimbo
18-11-2017, 16:39
Might have to put anti static gun on xmas list?:) Interesting other folk had issues with carbon fibre brush!

Cas
18-11-2017, 16:54
A cooker lighter is very similar, but dirt cheap. Just make sure it has no gas in if you try one. Both rely on a piezo element.

My original gun broke and when I saw the price that they are now I kept my money in my pocket.

Would a gas lighter piezo used in the same way have the same effect, how do we find out ?

Barry
18-11-2017, 17:06
Funny that, when I bought my zerostat forty odd years ago the instructions stated that one should squeeze and release slowly several times whilst pointing the gun at the record from about 30cm IIRC. That is what I continue to do and it seems to work just fine, as does the zerostat. Forty years of continuous use, in my world, represents a good product priced accord to its utility value and not over priced.
I have had terrible trouble with cork mats in the past, and still experience static build up whilst the record plays, presumably from friction between the stylus and the groove. I use zerostat at the beginning and end of each side 's a result.

Fair enough - I was assuming the gun worked on a piezoelectric principle, which generates a high voltage when the piezoelectric element is squeezed (or twisted) in one direction, this then creates ions of one polarity. When the trigger is released, the 'squeeze' is in the opposite direstion and so generates a high voltage of the opposite polarity, and ions also having the opposite polarity. Perhaps the Zerostat has a different ion generating mechanism.

I have to confess I have rarely been bothered with static. I don't use a fancy mat, relying on the carbon black loaded rubber mat supplied by the turntable manufacturer and use of a Decca carbon fibre record cleaning brush in the manner described above.

struth
18-11-2017, 17:13
I just do it once a side, occasionally twice. but you do have to do it slowly.

Certain types of crystals generate a votage in response to changes in mechanical pressure.When you squeeze the trigger on a Zerostat you are applying pressure to the crystal thereby generating a voltage.When you release the pressure on the trigger you reduce the pressure and thereby generate a voltage.

According to the makers the voltages produced by squeezing the trigger and releasing the trigger generates voltages that are equal but 180 degrees out of phase with each other and thereby cancel out resulting in a charge of 0 volts ( assuming that the application and reduction of pressure on the trigger are relatively similar in speed).

In theory the static voltage present on an LP will be far smaller than the voltage presented by the Zerostat and therefore will be neutralised.

Barry
18-11-2017, 17:22
I just do it once a side, occasionally twice. but you do have to do it slowly.

Certain types of crystals generate a votage in response to changes in mechanical pressure.When you squeeze the trigger on a Zerostat you are applying pressure to the crystal thereby generating a voltage.When you release the pressure on the trigger you reduce the pressure and thereby generate a voltage.

According to the makers the voltages produced by squeezing the trigger and releasing the trigger generates voltages that are equal but 180 degrees out of phase with each other and thereby cancel out resulting in a charge of 0 volts ( assuming that the application and reduction of pressure on the trigger are relatively similar in speed).

In theory the static voltage present on an LP will be far smaller than the voltage presented by the Zerostat and therefore will be neutralised.

Same as what I said above, but I think your last sentence nicely explains what is happening, that the voltages generated by the Zerostat are far greated than those of the triboelectrically generated charge on the record.

337alant
18-11-2017, 18:51
Jim
You could try grounding the carbon fiber brush
You could also experiment if a ground lead to the Arm or main bearing helps, it certainly did when I had a gyro deck

Alan

cuddles
18-11-2017, 20:25
Am I alone in not cleaning a record before playing it :scratch: None of my records are played before being cleaned in an Okki Nokki and put into new anti static inner sleeves.
After playing a side of an Lp I give the stylus a gentle brush and the record goes straight back into it's sleeve. Static pops and crackles are never an issue.

Jimbo
18-11-2017, 21:17
Jim
You could try grounding the carbon fiber brush
You could also experiment if a ground lead to the Arm or main bearing helps, it certainly did when I had a gyro deck

Alan

I have a new Audioquest gold carbon fibre brush which is meant to ground the static whilst you touch the gold handle but I find it does pick up more dust and debris but static seems to have increased.

struth
18-11-2017, 21:19
need to hold an earth with other hand Jim:)

Jimbo
19-11-2017, 08:21
need to hold an earth with other hand Jim:)

I will give it a go Grant, can you suggest good earthing point?:cool:

struth
19-11-2017, 08:43
I will give it a go Grant, can you suggest good earthing point?:cool:

a radiator should be grounded.. earth point on a phono or TT too. could run a wire from that to hold.

p147
19-11-2017, 11:43
I read many years ago that if you breath gently into the inner sleeve with the record in situ after you have played it then the next time you take it out to play you will have reduced or eliminated the static, and I have found this does work :).

struth
19-11-2017, 11:49
I read many years ago that if you breath gently into the inner sleeve with the record in situ after you have played it then the next time you take it out to play you will have reduced or eliminated the static, and I have found this does work :).

Yes it will to a point. Higher humidity will allow the electrons to reunite reducing static.

Simon_LDT
19-11-2017, 11:56
I clean every LP with my RCM and use anti-static sleeves and still suffer from static build-up. I do find that once on the platter and I've done a quick glide over with the carbon fibre brush (I put my index finger from other hand on the spindle) it does the job, although it does build up again as then when I take it off the felt mat comes with it! I don't seem to suffer from static type ticks/clicks during playback so I just get on with it. No idea if touching the spindle is earthing or not but it does usually give off a few spark-like sounds through the speakers most times. I must be charged up or something!

Primalsea
19-11-2017, 12:00
Yes it will to a point. Higher humidity will allow the electrons to reunite reducing static.

Static is caused by rubbing two dry surfaces together such as a record and a dry microfibre cloth, or sleeve. A little moisture will stop the static building up. You can get rid of static by lightly misting a record with recording cleaning liquid and letting it evaporate off too.

p147
19-11-2017, 12:21
I should have added it works better after you have had a glass or two of whiskey due to its alcoholic content, serious.

alphaGT
19-11-2017, 13:58
I have noticed the ground wire to the spindle on my ‘table, now I know why! I’ve seen a carbon fiber brush at Music Direct that has a ground wire with alligator clip attached, perhaps that would be a good purchase? I had some issues with static on my old Project, that had a felt mat, but now I’ve got a thick acrylic platter with no mat, and static is not a major issue now. Grounded spindle? Maybe so. Also when I use my RCM, I only allow it to go around twice when vacuuming the fluid, the air rushing over a dry record will generate static. And I also have a Zerostat gun, that I use in the Winter time. And many times I play a record directly after washing it, static is not a problem. And a product called Groove Glide, comes in a spray can with microfiber buffs, is supposed to eliminate static on Records. It also reduces wear, etc. I used some on a batch of about 20 Records when I was about 18, at the time I didn’t see a lot of difference in performance. But now, some 37 years later, I see that those 20 Records have remained in better shape than other albums of the same age. Although I must confess that I haven’t bought any Groove Glide lately. But if static is really bothering you maybe it’s worth a try?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

alphaGT
19-11-2017, 13:59
I should have added it works better after you have had a glass or two of whiskey due to its alcoholic content, serious.

Best advice on this thread!

agk
23-11-2017, 13:30
After reading this thread I decided to experiment and since I stopped using an anti-static brush have no static.

Excellent thread.

Jimbo
23-11-2017, 14:14
I have done exactly the same Andrew and it has made a significant difference!:)

agk
23-11-2017, 17:30
Makes for a far more relaxing listen.

Jimbo
18-12-2017, 12:16
Thought I would use my carbon fibre brush again last night as I had a large build up of fluff and debris on a certain record. Again straight after I had static issues again!:steam: I have decided therefore to bin the carbon fibre brush and just use my VPI record cleaning machine when records get particularly dirty/ noisy. The problem with the brush is that although it removes some surface debris it introduces so much static that it immediately attracts more dust and fluff to the record. Defeats the whole object of the exercise. :scratch:

alphaGT
19-12-2017, 19:47
Thought I would use my carbon fibre brush again last night as I had a large build up of fluff and debris on a certain record. Again straight after I had static issues again!:steam: I have decided therefore to bin the carbon fibre brush and just use my VPI record cleaning machine when records get particularly dirty/ noisy. The problem with the brush is that although it removes some surface debris it introduces so much static that it immediately attracts more dust and fluff to the record. Defeats the whole object of the exercise. :scratch:

Just like a comb will pick up paper after combing your hair, or balloons will stick to your head if you rub it, carbon fiber is a good insulator, which means it holds static. I’ve seen a brush that has a ground wire with alligator clip in the catalog, it’s not cheap! But perhaps addresses the issue? I totally agree that a quick wash and vacuum gives the best playback! Hopefully some vinyl sleeves will keep it clean and ready to play for several times between washing. I can take a record that has been washed and stored in a vinyl sleeve and put it on the table and play it, with no brushing, many, many times. Taking them off and putting them back in the vinyl sleeve right after you play is my weakness, Im famous for leaving a record on the table for a few days. Even with the cover on it still gathers dust.