PDA

View Full Version : I'm Having A Deep Purple Re-Awakening.

Minstrel SE
18-11-2017, 00:39
I saw them on BBC red button and thought right Im ordering Made In Japan. I was worried that this is a guilty pleasure but I sampled lots of albums and live performances on i tunes.

It was a bit like seeing them playing to Radio 2 Grandads :) but I wanted to revisit some of the classic early albums like In Rock and Machine Head

A nostalgia trip is kicking in and I always remember thinking the earlier line up with Gillan, Lord, Blackmore is the best.

I thought that as a young teenager and remember being disappointed about Ian Gillan leaving. I never thought Coverdale and other singers carried on the magic.

I have read quite a bit about their history and formation. I tend to think that they peaked up to say 1975. Whether they are part of the holy trinity of hard rock and founders of metal is a whole debate. A transition from 60s R&B to heavy rock if you like.

Whether they sound dated in some areas is another debate but they have recorded some stonking live performances...Stockholm and all over the world.

Obviously Made In Japan is considered a live benchmark and I have ordered the remastered version with extra encores.

Any comments please? :)
Cheers
Martin

Ian7633
18-11-2017, 01:00
I go for a few months and then think " Made in Japan, let's have a listen to that " and from the first notes of Highway Star I'm hooked again. It reminds me of brilliant nights spent in The Hungry Years, a biker's rock club in Brighton, back in the late seventies/early eighties. Fantastic album full of drive and energy and a pretty good live recording too. I've got a first press on vinyl and a Japanese import SACD and they both sound amazing. I saw them live them a few years ago, good line up, Gillan, Pace, Glover, Lord and Steve Morse. Right that's it, headphones on and vinyl out now ha!

jandl100
18-11-2017, 07:07
You've got me going now. Back to the days of my long lost youth.

Highway Star - on Spotify comparing the original mix and 1998 and 2014 remasters.
Yep, a bit more clarity and pep on the 98 remaster, I reckon, and more focus still on the 2014.
The original sounds decidedly fuggy in comparison.

2014:
https://open.spotify.com/album/2ufQZaCxAGM01yQbotw9tA

Woo !! :rock:

Macca
18-11-2017, 09:04
Made in Japan, In Rock and Machine Head are all perfect albums. I never find them sounding dated. But the later stuff doesn't do much for me.

struth
18-11-2017, 09:24
was a big Purple fan in another life.:D

mikeyb
18-11-2017, 23:08
Their latest album Infinite is excellent, I mentioned a few weeks back on the What are your Spinning Today page that I thought it took them back to their best.

Well worth checking out [emoji6]

Tim
18-11-2017, 23:16
Their latest album Infinity is excellent
I've recently bought that, but have yet to play it - best I get on it ;)

mikeyb
18-11-2017, 23:20
I've recently bought that, but have yet to play it - best I get on it ;)

Mind and put it on at the right speed lol

Ian7633
18-11-2017, 23:45
Made in Japan, In Rock and Machine Head are all perfect albums. I never find them sounding dated. But the later stuff doesn't do much for me.

Bananas wasn't a bad album, it has shades of classic Purple but like you say the old ones are the best. Another live album, Made in Europe is also worth a listen, brilliant rendition of Stormbringer.

Stratmangler
19-11-2017, 00:12
Just got in from seeing them at Manchester Arena.
What a gig!

jandl100
19-11-2017, 06:49
Infinite.

Didn't even know about it!

Listening now .... https://open.spotify.com/album/1jqiZMTpqUWTz4Ac2QIx3j

It's the 70s all over again. :rock: But in better sound.

Useful thread! :thumbsup:

mikeyb
19-11-2017, 06:55
Infinite.

Didn't even know about it!

Listening now .... https://open.spotify.com/album/1jqiZMTpqUWTz4Ac2QIx3j

It's the 70s all over again. :rock: But in better sound.

Useful thread! [emoji106]That was my thoughts too when I heard it. Excellent album and the LP is superb quality.

Pete The Cat
19-11-2017, 10:21
I listen to as much 70s Purple now as I did then. Unlike Led Zeppelin they've officially released a host of live concerts. For me "Made In Japan" is unsurpassable but all the Mark II line-up live releases are worth a listen to marvel at the improvisation of Lord and Blackmore - BBC In Concert 70 and 72, Stockholm 70 and Denmark 72 to name a few.

The Kevin Shirley remix of MiJ is very divisive among fans, with Blackmore pushed down in the mix in favour of Lord and Paice.

Of the Mark III line-up material the California Jam is probably the best example before things descended into a mess.

Pete

Minstrel SE
19-11-2017, 12:39
Yeah Ive been listening on spotify...the 19 minute version of Child In Time In Stockholm...what a Rockin jam out that is!

I had My first Deep Purple phase when I was about 13...I just drifted away from listening to them for some reason. Perhaps it was because I couldnt afford many albums or maybe I was getting a bit sick of the smoke on the water riff :) Many of my punk and post punk heroes said they grew up listening to and liking Deep Purple. It became untrendy at that time to say you liked 70s rock and maybe it all got tied in with the prog thing

Anyway a crackin rock band and Im really enjoying the full selection on Spotify. Dare I say the live performances have a vibe that that studio albums dont come close to.

mikeyb
19-11-2017, 12:48
Yeah Ive been listening on spotify...the 19 minute version of Child In Time In Stockholm...what a Rockin jam out that is!

I had My first Deep Purple phase when I was about 13...I just drifted away from listening to them for some reason. Perhaps it was because I couldnt afford many albums or maybe I was geeting a bit sick of the smoke on the water riff :) Many of my punk and post punk heroes said they grew up listening to and liking Deep Purple. It became untrendy at that time to say you liked 70s rock and maybe it all got tied in with the prog thing

Anyway a crackin rock band and Im really enjoying the full selection on Spotify.

AnywayWhen I saw Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow Glasgow a few months ago they played Child in Time and at one point when they dropped the volume of the song I could hear singing in the distance and it made the hair on my arms and the my neck stand up and a shiver ran down my spine, thinking it was a choir, I looked over to my left, where the singing was coming from, I then realised it was the crowd singing, an amazing sensation, I'll never forget it.

Had much the same happen at Knebworth when Genesis played Fading Lights as the sun went down in the distance.

Never ever seen Purple live, which I've regretted to this day, me a former fan club member too [emoji848]

alphaGT
19-11-2017, 13:30
I too discovered Deep Purple at age 13, had Machine Head on 8-track tape! Wore it slam out! A band I work sound for, they took on Highway Star, and it took them a few months to get it perfect, I never realized just how amazing and complicated the arrangement is, and how very challenging that song really is. So, that took me back and got me to pulling out my old Purple records. They really are far more talented than I ever realized when I was a teenager. I’ve got several Rainbow albums that have stood the test of time too. The early 70’s was a magical time for music, never to be repeated. So glad they recorded it so we can enjoy it now!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

struth
19-11-2017, 13:57
fireball was my favourite of theirs along with the live album of the time.. think it was japan. Liked Rainbow for a few tracks too but they were never close to Zep at time.

alphaGT
19-11-2017, 14:01
fireball was my favourite of theirs along with the live album of the time.. think it was japan. Liked Rainbow for a few tracks too but they were never close to Zep at time.

Rainbow, Straight Between the Eyes, is a landmark album!

Minstrel SE
19-11-2017, 17:39
I too discovered Deep Purple at age 13, had Machine Head on 8-track tape! Wore it slam out! A band I work sound for, they took on Highway Star, and it took them a few months to get it perfect, I never realized just how amazing and complicated the arrangement is, and how very challenging that song really is. So, that took me back and got me to pulling out my old Purple records. They really are far more talented than I ever realized when I was a teenager. The early 70’s was a magical time for music, never to be repeated. So glad they recorded it so we can enjoy it now!

Yes that is my main thought. They are more talented than I realised as a teenager. I didnt have many albums when I was younger so I only really experienced one live album......might have been Made In Japan but I cant really remember...whatever was cheapest in Woolworths I suppose.

Its just interesting coming back to it all these years. I think I did put them aside as a guilty pleasure but that is unfair really.

Ive not really listened again properly for forty years so its a strange feeling coming back, working it out and going with the feelings that appealed to me in the first place

Im certainly enjoying what Im listening to and appreciating the Hammond organ and guitar playing more than ever.

Bazil
19-11-2017, 19:16
Any comments please?

Get a load of this Martin 39 million views :

https://youtu.be/OorZcOzNcgE

Minstrel SE
20-11-2017, 15:42
Thanks Barry.

Its always good to see recorded footage. Thats the good thing about Purple.....Plenty of recorded concerts and I was watching the interview with Roger Glover.

I have Made in Japan on now through two Conistons and a PA speaker....sounds great and Im really getting into it....Boy can they play those instruments