PDA

View Full Version : Esoteric Records Releases

Rare Bird
20-02-2010, 00:48
Monday 22nd Feb sees the first release of the Ramases 'Glass Top Coffin' album on CD, this is a dream come true for me as i never thought it would happen, so you can understand how chuffed i am..Goodbye to my crackly Vinyl burn i made a few years ago.It is 1975 but sounds a lot more dated..

Parts of the album were actually issued on a non official CD release of the first album 'Space Hymns' as bonus tracks but didnt make sence as the most important first & last tracks (Golden Landing Pt.1&2) were omitted.You have to hear the complete album start to finish to appreciate what a masterpiece it is.The story of Martin Raphael is a strange one, anyway two fantastic albums thats for sure.All legends come from Yorkshire :eyebrows:

http://www.cherryred.co.uk/esoteric/artists/ramases.php

http://www.rock.co.za/ramases/

dWbuk39KgNA

Themis
20-02-2010, 06:31
Nice finding Andr'e ! Thanks for this info. Two more days before release ! ;)
(pre-ordered already)

Beechwoods
20-02-2010, 07:46
Esoteric did an excellent job of the Egg reissues a year or so ago, and Caravan's last proper album was on it too. Not their best, but still a sign that Esoteric have a special place in supporting artists that still deserve an audience :)

DanJennings
20-02-2010, 13:22
Monday 22nd Feb sees the first release of the Ramases 'Glass Top Coffin' album on CD, this is a dream come true for me as i never thought it would happen, so you can understand how chuffed i am..Goodbye to my crackly Vinyl burn i made a few years ago.It is 1975 but sounds a lot more dated..

Parts of the album were actually issued on a non official CD release of the first album 'Space Hymns' as bonus tracks but didnt make sence as the most important first & last tracks (Golden Landing Pt.1&2) were omitted.You have to hear the complete album start to finish to appreciate what a masterpiece it is.The story of Martin Raphael is a strange one, anyway two fantastic albums thats for sure.All legends come from Yorkshire :eyebrows:

http://www.cherryred.co.uk/esoteric/artists/ramases.php

http://www.rock.co.za/ramases/

dWbuk39KgNA

Cheers Andre, it was down to you that I actually got to hear it in the first place, after wanting to for years.... I'll definitely pick that up. I still prefer the first album though.

Rare Bird
20-02-2010, 17:48
Esoteric did an excellent job of the Egg reissues a year or so ago, and Caravan's last proper album was on it too. Not their best, but still a sign that Esoteric have a special place in supporting artists that still deserve an audience :)

Yes all my EGG & Khan are on Esoteric.They do have a tendency to go off the rails with artists sometime..Stick to early 70's i say.

Cheers Andre, it was down to you that I actually got to hear it in the first place, after wanting to for years.... I'll definitely pick that up. I still prefer the first album though.

Aye nice to see some people have great taste, o deffo 'Space Hymns' is a pearler but i love 'Glass Top Coffin'..The opening track has me in tears, it has an overwhelming feeling. the sence of the wizzard of oz for some reason.

DanJennings
20-02-2010, 17:56
I'm chuffed with the release though, it took me YEARS to get a copy of Space Hymns on CD, the only one that took me longer was Esperanto - Danse Macabre

Rare Bird
20-02-2010, 18:01
I don't wanna blow my own trumpet but i did bug them with a need to be released on CD list, glass top was on the list..I sent a CD-r into Mark Powell last year of the awesome Metropolis album, but nothing as yet with that one.

For the vinyl ed's:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a222/LIVING-SIN/Label01.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a222/LIVING-SIN/Label02.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a222/LIVING-SIN/Inner.jpg

Themis
21-02-2010, 06:50
It dispatched yesterday from Amazon !!! :champagne:

Rare Bird
21-02-2010, 22:45
It dispatched yesterday from Amazon !!! :champagne:

Yep where i ordered mine ;)

Rare Bird
23-02-2010, 11:32
CD arrived today good old lightning fast Amazon.Bye bye crackly CD-r

:peace:

Themis
25-02-2010, 09:01
Mine arrived too. Ripped immediately !!! :)

By the way, it seems there's only one CD left in stock @ Amazon... either the album sold well or they had a small stock. ;)

Rare Bird
25-02-2010, 09:14
Mine arrived too. Ripped immediately !!! :)

By the way, it seems there's only one CD left in stock @ Amazon... either the album sold well or they had a small stock. ;)

Nice one Dimitri

Rare Bird
25-02-2010, 12:11
Been waiting patiently for the below release dates, they have given them out now:

Release Date: 29th March 2010

Premiata Forneria Marconi - Photos Of Ghosts
The Previously Unreleased Bonus Tracks are: Photos Of Ghosts (Instrumental Mix) / River Of Life (First Mix) / Old Rain (First Mix) / Il Banchetto (First Mix) / Mr. 9 Til 5 (Instrumental Mix) / Celebration (Unreleased Single Edit)

Premiata Forneria Marconi - The World Became The World
The Bonus Tracks are: La Carrozza Di Hans (Uk Single Version) / Four Holes In The Ground (Unreleased Single Edit) / Celebration (Unreleased 1975 Single Version)

Why is Celebration on 'World Became The World' as a bonus i ask!!!

Bob Downes - Open Music
Bob Downes - Electric City

Never seen 'Open Music' on CD before & i only have 'Electric City' on a japanese card sleeve, never seen a jewel case edition!..'Open Music' is a very acquired taste for a lot as it's mainly jazzy flute noodling, last track ''Electric City'' tho is more of intrest to early prog fans..The 'Electric City' album is brilliant originally issued on the Swirl Vertigo Label.

I have the PFM albums but all that bonus stoof looks like me buying them all over again, the 'World Became The World' always sounded a bit dull to me, but i'm sure Esoteric have come up trumps with the sound as they always do.

DanJennings
25-02-2010, 13:38

Cheers Dimitri, I was going to leave it a while, but just in case, I've snapped up the last copy.

Themis
25-02-2010, 16:33
Nice move Dan, the mastering is not frustrating at all. ;)

Rare Bird
28-02-2010, 01:57
29th March 2010 see the release of Alan Bown 'The Alan Bown' album, absolutly superb album, i do prefer the 'Listen' album tho..I'm praying that get an official Esoteric release pretty soon with 'Stretching Out'. These last two have been on CD as a two in one.

http://www.cherryred.co.uk/esoteric/artists/alanbown.php

DanJennings
02-03-2010, 13:28
Got my Glass Top Coffin today, giving it a spin!

Rare Bird
02-03-2010, 13:30
Nice one ;)

Themis
02-03-2010, 19:40
My son and wife like it, too. It means that it manages to keep a good proportion between concept album and occasional timeless pop melody : a winner combination, imho. ! :)

Rare Bird
27-04-2010, 22:08
The latest updates for Esoteric Records:

All Esoteric and Atomhenge April titles are now in and available via the website

www.esotericrecordings.com www.atomhenge.com

Aprils were

PFM-Chocolate Kings (2Cd expanded)(Manticore)
Schicke Fuhrs and Frohling-Symphonic Pictures (2Cd)(on Reactive)
Schicke Fuhrs and Frohling-Sunburst (Reactive)
Fuhrs and Frohling-Ammerland (Reactive)
Alan Bown-Stretching Out
Alan Bown-Listen
Clark Hutchinson-Free to be Stoned (2Cd anthology covering all 3 albums-no ommissions)
Hawkwind---Church of Hawkwind (Atomhenge)
Harvey Bainbridge--Dreams, Omens and Strange Encounters(new "soundscapes" studio album from ex Hawks keyboardist) (Atomhenge)

Mays titles are

Soft machine-Bundles
Jade Warrior--Kites
Jade Warrior--Way of the Sun
Sam Gopal-Escalator
Hawkwind--Xenon Codex
Psychedlic Warriors (hawkwind) White Zone
Flash-Out of Our Hands
Schicke Fuhrs and Frohling---Ticket to Everywhere

There will also be 2 Greg Lake titles in May "from the Underground volumes 1 and 2. These will be on one of Cherry reds other labels "Lemon" but I felt it worth mentioning as they feature a lot of rare and interesting material, Greg Lake with Toto etc. Details and tracklistings are on Amazon already.

Junes titles are

Aphrodites Child-_End of the World, Rain and Tears
Aphrodites Child--Its Five O clock
Brainticket-Celestial Ocean
Brainticket-Psychonaut
Soft machine--Softs
Flash-In the Can
High Tide-High Tide
High Tide-Sea Shanties
LLoyd Langton Group-Night Air

Mark Powell has been busy as well working with Mike Oldfield (and for those who ask me--yes he does sleep sometimes, Mark that is--not Mike!)

The reissues of 5.1 (as well as standard and download and vinyl reissues) of Ommadawn and Hergest Ridge are released on the 14th June. They have been ringing round our house for weeks , so I enclose the official press release for these titles for those that are fans of these titles. I find the "On Horseback" piece in Ommadawn very strangely addictive!

-

Mike Oldfield
Hergest Ridge
Ommadawn
Mercury June 14th 2010

After the success of TUBULAR BELLS and THE MIKE OLDFIELD COLLECTION in 2009, Mercury are delighted to announce that Mike Oldfield’s reissue programme continues with two stunning 2010 mixes of two of his best-loved works, HERGEST RIDGE and OMMADAWN to be released on June 14th 2010.

Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn have been mixed, approved and authorised by Mike Oldfield himself. Both albums are released in a Single Disc Edition, A Deluxe Edition (a 2 Disc plus DVD set), in digital form and as A Back to Black vinyl version. A Limited Signed Framed print edition which is only available through mikeoldfieldofficial.com.

Originally released in 1974, Hergest Ridge was the follow-up to 1973’s groundbreaking debut, Tubular Bells. It gave Oldfield his first UK No.1 album, and was actually knocked off the UK top spot by Tubular Bells itself. It is another lengthy suite, reflecting the glory of the countryside Oldfield had secluded himself in following his early global success. Hergest Ridge is on the English-Welsh border near the town of Kington. A stunning new 2010 mix highlights the nuances of the work. Also found in research for the album was Oldfield’s original demos, never before heard.

Also noteworthy is the album’s new cover. Oldfield was never happy with the album’s original fish-eyed lens picture of his glider on the top of Hergest Ridge. Armed with the brief of a redesign, Oldfield’s team struck upon the idea of using a Google Earth image of Ridge itself, and the surrounding countryside. It forever links the area and the music – further enhanced by the album’s booklet, Walking The Hergest Ridge – A Guide To Rambling and the Story Behind The Music It Inspired.

Originally released in November 1975, Ommadawn, remains one of Oldfield’s favourite works. Recorded at his then home at Hergest Ridge, it again took the form of two lengthy suites of music, but here there are added Irish and African influences. Oldfield looked towards composition on traditional instruments; It is affecting music that acted as a precursor to the new age musical movement. Featuring folk legends Clodagh Simons and Paddy Moloney as well as African drummers, Jabula, Ommadawn is a work of great beauty, and like Hergest Ridge before it, established the fact that there was much more to Mike Oldfield than Tubular Bells. The album, with its new 2010 mix by Oldfield himself, also contains the original demo, thought lost and the perennial Christmas favourite, In Dulce Jubilo.

Each DVD features 5.1 surround sound mixes by Oldfield. Ommadawn adds the original promo videos for In Dulci Jubilo and
Portsmouth.

HERGEST RIDGE
Single Disc Edition
Hergest Ridge (Part One) 2010 Stereo Mix by Mike Oldfield*
Hergest Ridge (Part Two) 2010 Stereo Mix by Mike Oldfield*
In Dulci Jubilo (for Maureen)
Spanish Tune

Deluxe Edition 060075326754 (7)
CD ONE:
CD TWO:
Hergest Ridge (Part One) 1974 Stereo Mix
Hergest Ridge (Part Two) 1974 Stereo Mix
Hergest Ridge (1974 Demo Part One) *
Hergest Ridge (1974 Demo Part Two) *
DVD:
Hergest Ridge (Part One) 2010 5.1 Stereo Mix by Mike Oldfield*
Hergest Ridge (Part Two) 2010 5.1 Stereo Mix by Mike Oldfield*

Back To Black Edition Vinyl Edition:

Limited Signed, Framed print edition (Available through mikeoldfieldofficial.com)
DELUXE EDITION CD/DVD SET AND BACK TO BLACK VINYL WITH NUMBERED FRAMED PRINT OF COVER ART WORK, SIGNED BY MIKE OLDFIELD – STRICTLY LIMITED TO 250 WORLDWIDE

Digital Edition
Hergest Ridge (1974 Demo Part One) *
Hergest Ridge (1974 Demo Part Two) *

OMMADAWN
Single Disc Edition:
Ommadawn (Part One) 2010 Stereo Mix by Mike Oldfield*
Ommadawn (Part Two)/On Horseback 2010 Stereo Mix by Mike Oldfield*

Deluxe Edition: 060075326761 (5)

CD ONE:
In Dulce Jubilo
First Excursion
Argiers
Portsmouth

CD TWO:
Ommadawn Part One 1975 Stereo Mix
Ommadawn (Part Two)/On Horseback 1975 Stereo Mix
Ommadawn (Lost Version) 1975 Demo*

DVD:
Ommadawn (Part One) 2010 5.1 Stereo Mix by Mike Oldfield*
Ommadawn (Part Two)/On Horseback 2010 5.1 Stereo Mix by Mike Oldfield*
In Dulci Jubilo
Portsmouth

Back To Black Vinyl Edition:

Limited Signed, Framed print edition (Available through mikeoldfieldofficial.com)

DELUXE EDITION CD/DVD SET AND BACK TO BLACK VINYL WITH NUMBERED FRAMED PRINT OF COVER ART WORK, SIGNED BY MIKE OLDFIELD – STRICTLY LIMITED TO 250 WORLDWIDE

Digital Edition:
In Dulce Jubilo
First Excursion
Argiers
Portsmouth
Ommadawn (Lost Version) 1975 Demo*

All above updates posted here with kind permission of Vicky Powell

DanJennings
28-04-2010, 06:06
wow, I've never heard an aphrodite's child album apart from 666.... I knew they existed, but never heard em.

any recommendations?

I always keep an eye on the atom henge site though, I intend to get all of those eventually.

Rare Bird
29-04-2010, 10:47
ANOTHER ONE OF MY POSTS MISSING, thats three ive noticed..

So i'll repeat myself

The other Aphrodites child are nothing like '666'

Themis
29-04-2010, 14:11
The other Aphrodites child are nothing like '666'
+1

Vangelis is somehow nearer, but without the "rock" part of the 666. ;)

Rare Bird
29-04-2010, 15:06
+1

Vangelis is somehow nearer, but without the "rock" part of the 666. ;)

Too many people say Vangelis 'Earth' is a natural progression for '666' i don't see where. A great album was Vangelis & Socrates 'Phos'..Nice Mediteranian feel & gone with the rather bluesy sound of the old Socrates Drank The Conium band for all new sound..

Themis
29-04-2010, 16:22
Too many people say Vangelis 'Earth' is a natural progression for '666' i don't see where.
Me neither. ;)

Vangelis is somehow nearer to some Pink Floyd material (More) than to 666... go figure. :eyebrows:
He made lots of good music, btw.

Rare Bird
29-04-2010, 16:34
Me neither. ;)

He made lots of good music, btw.

'Hypothesis' is my absolute Fav

Themis
29-04-2010, 16:45
'Hypothesis' is my absolute Fav
Aaaargggh !
I have only El Greco on CD... geez, the number of CDs that I have to buy... my wife will execute me !! :o

Rare Bird
21-05-2010, 17:32
Latest updadates commrades

June
Aphrodites Child-End of the World (rain and Tears)
Aphrodites Child-Its Five O clock
Soft Machine-Softs
Brainticket-Psychonaut (Reactive)
Brainticket-Celestial Ocean (Reactive)
High Tide-High Tide
High Tide-Sea Shanties
Flash-In the Can
Lloyd Langton Band-Night Air (atomhenge)

July
Soft machine-Land of Cockayne
Fields-Fields
Jade Warrior-Waves
Jade Warrior-Floating World
Asgard-In the Realm of Asgard (cant do that funny ae together as per the album)
Eela Craig-One Niter (Reactive)
Trifle-First meeting (jazz rock)

Equiries Re: PFM-Cook and the Banco albums. Please note the Banco titles (2) will be late August and PFM-Cook-September (this will be at least 2CD)

I'm very excited about Trifle - First Meeting & Asgeard - In The Realm Of CD's

serendipitydawg
01-07-2010, 09:54
Esoteric have remastered one of my alltime favourite bands first few albums; Man. Haven't bought any yet. Anyone have any of these? What's the sound quality like?

sparrow
01-07-2010, 12:25
Esoteric is a superb label..bought all th epFM albums and the remastering is top notch..looking forward to Cook & The Banco albums.