PDA

View Full Version : optical and co ax convertor to usb

wee tee cee
12-11-2017, 14:42
I have usb dacs on my TQ claymore amps and was wonder if there is a optical and co-ax to usb convertor. I have a musical fidelity v link that does this the other way around conversion wise.

Im using the co ax to a lap top but wondered if I could use the co-ax out of my blu ray player and the optical out of my telly feeding a stan dac then into the TQ via phono leads.

It aint too shabby just wondered if I Can utilise the TQ DAC which is something special.

Stratmangler
12-11-2017, 15:14
I'd be surprised if anything other than a computer works with the amp over USB.

wee tee cee
12-11-2017, 17:13
v link works in reverse surely a solution in reverse is available?:

JimC
12-11-2017, 19:47
Not much call for this way around. Now USB Audio outperforms SPDIF it must be seen as an unnecessary conversion direction.
Most DACs which have a USB in will almost certainly also have SPDIF in too, I say most, obviously yours doesn't.

You may have to look at the Pro world for this.
https://www.amazon.com/Tascam-US-144MKII-USB-Audio-Interface/dp/B002TTKI84/
Out of Stock but indicates the sort of product you may have to go for.

Jim.

Stratmangler
12-11-2017, 20:02
v link works in reverse surely a solution in reverse is available?:

The computer is in control of the V-Link - it is not an autonomous device.

wee tee cee
13-11-2017, 07:26
Thanks gents. The Dac Colin Wonfor incorporated in the TQ Claymore is the best I have ever came across sonically.

The caiman 2 does telly and blu ray duties well, just trying to utilise what I had cutting out the middle man!!

mikeyb
13-11-2017, 07:46
When I had the TQ I was going to do the similar, and the only thing I could find that might have been ok for spdif to usb was the Hifime UX1 DAC that can do usb to spdif AND spdif to usb, ( wasn't sure how the power in would work as it's usb powered ) note though it is a DAC and not straight convertor, I didn't buy it in the end as I just connected my iPad directly to the DAC on the TQ by using the standard iPad to usb cable which was all I was needing. Might be worth a look.

https://hifime.uk/DACs/UX1-dac

mikeyb
13-11-2017, 07:48
I'd be surprised if anything other than a computer works with the amp over USB.Worked fine with iPad to USB Dac on the TQ when I had it, just using the standard lightning to USB charging lead.

mikeyb
13-11-2017, 07:56
I'm thinking of you want it for music listening primarily, then the laptop should go direct to the TQ via usb ( bog standard Usb A to Usb B cable ) and the Bluray and TV go via the caiman into the TQ analog connection.

This removes the V Link from the equation, so that's one less box.

No need for spdif/usb conversion either

Stratmangler
13-11-2017, 08:08
Worked fine with iPad to USB Dac on the TQ when I had it, just using the standard lightning to USB charging lead.

What do you think an iPad is?

mikeyb
13-11-2017, 08:09
oh you mean a computer. Ooh smart arse eh [emoji23]

wee tee cee
13-11-2017, 08:21
Mike thanks. That is exactly what I have been doing with both my TQC for music. Brian is building me two of his fantastic usb cables for transfer from the lap tops.

Stratmangler you are a helpful as a hand brake on a canoe!!!!

Stratmangler
13-11-2017, 08:47
Stratmangler you are a helpful as a hand brake on a canoe!!!!

Is this the same canoe that floats so well with the adapter idea?

mikeyb
13-11-2017, 08:53
Is this the same canoe that floats so well with the adapter idea?[emoji23]

mikeyb
13-11-2017, 08:53
Mike thanks. That is exactly what I have been doing with both my TQC for music. Brian is building me two of his fantastic usb cables for transfer from the lap tops.

Stratmangler you are a helpful as a hand brake on a canoe!!!![emoji4]

struth
13-11-2017, 09:12
was thinking drivers might be an issue if not connected to a pc or the like.. but dont know. I guess someone somewhere has made such an adapter.

Colin Wonfor
24-11-2017, 20:59
I found this on CPC

http://cpc.farnell.com/cyp/au-d1/audio-dac/dp/AV23317

Any good ?

wee tee cee
26-11-2017, 05:36
Colin,
Ive been looking to utilise the the tq claymore dac by feeding it via optical-just cant fathom how to convert the optical to co ax to feed the amp.

Got a stan dac doing the bussiness between the telly and the amp just now and well chuffed-just looking to KISS and convert optical to usb .....if that makes any sense!!

Colin Wonfor
26-11-2017, 16:47
It does I will hunt for info for that on some eyebro forum I play on,

Marco
26-11-2017, 20:06
Hi Colin,

Did you get the email I sent, both to your personal address and via the contact form on your website? :)

Marco.

Colin Wonfor
26-11-2017, 21:39
I did Marco and understood thank you.