PDA

View Full Version : Black Cat Silverstar 75 Digital Cable

Ninanina
11-11-2017, 20:47
Is there anyone using this Black Cat cable?

I was wondering if it is any good. I need one between the transport and dac probably using BNC's

I know Gazjam did own one some years ago

wee tee cee
12-11-2017, 14:23
Bev,
I will text him to let him know-if memory served he found something even better bnc-bnd wise, leave it with me see if he comes back to you.

Ninanina
12-11-2017, 19:11
Thanks Tony

Gary has pm'd me about the cable and he said "One of those 'last cables you'll buy' kind of deals..its that good"

wee tee cee
13-11-2017, 08:30
Great, Gary really knows his stuff.

Best of luck Bev.

Ninanina
22-11-2017, 19:12
Received the Black Cat cable today..

Just putting in between transport and Dac

Will report back once I've given it a proper listen

Ninanina
24-11-2017, 23:29
Well Gary (Gazjam) was right about the Black Cat cable, it's fantastic... and getting better by the day..

I really have to thank Gary for giving me the 'heads-up' on this cable

I am using it between the Naim CD5XS and Naim Dac and it just sounds lovely

The best I can descibe it is 'analogue' sounding but bare in mind I am useless at describing what I hear.. that's the best I can do at the moment though ;)

It is not a particularly cheap cable but I think it is worth every penny

It comes in a nice little wooden box which is signed by the maker Chris Sommovigo

http://i.imgur.com/63cprvt.jpg (https://imgur.com/63cprvt)

Here is the link where I purchased the cable from

http://www.highendcable.co.uk/Stereolab%20Silverstar%2075%20Digital.htm

walpurgis
24-11-2017, 23:40
Ah. Digital cable 'burn in'. Not heard of that before. :)

Ninanina
24-11-2017, 23:43
Ah. Digital cable 'burn in'. Not heard of that before. :)

Ooops :doh:

It's maybe not "burn in"... it might be just my ears getting used to how it sounds :)

walpurgis
24-11-2017, 23:46
Bet that green digital cable I made would match it. Not BNC's though.

I could make one with BNC's, should the need arise.

Ninanina
24-11-2017, 23:50
Green ??

I thought your digi's were blue Geoff..

Barry
24-11-2017, 23:57
£245! It had better be good at that price.

Ninanina
24-11-2017, 23:59

I know Barry it's a lot of money but it really is very good indeed... I got a slightly better price..

Luckily I have sold lots of gear recently so I could afford the Black Cat Cable otherwise it would have been out of the question ... ;)

walpurgis
25-11-2017, 00:03
Turquoise maybe.

Ninanina
25-11-2017, 00:05
Turquoise maybe.

I think I have one of your cables somewhere Geoff... god knows where though... ;)

Barry
25-11-2017, 00:09
I could make some, but they would be either black or yellow.

In fact Marco is still using the yellow ones I made for him, presumably to his complete satisfaction.

walpurgis
25-11-2017, 00:12
Mine look nothing, but are 'the bee's knees'. :)

Gazjam
25-11-2017, 10:03
Yup, the Black Cat’s a cracking cable...happy Bevs chuffed with it. :thumbsup:

Posted about mine a while back when I got it, post (and more info on the cable) here.
http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?41208-Black-Cat-digital-cable-holey-moley!&highlight=Gazjam+black+cat

Use mine between my Oppo UDP-203 bluray player and the Dac.
Sounds pretty spiffy, and after reading Bevs post, did a sanity check and plumbed back in a Bluejeans 1694a BNC cable I used previousy.

So...THATS why I bought the Black Cat cable :eyebrows:
Always nice to be reminded now and again...

Gazjam
25-11-2017, 10:18

Yup, it is. :)

One of the things I suggested to Bev was that if your using very high quality digital kit you dont want to hamper its performance if you can help it, and given the quality of her kit it was worth aiming high for cables.
Do it once, do it right and lose that nagging itch that your kits not doing its thing.

Cost aint neccessarily a factor on quality of course, as oor Brian’s Klotz (and no doubt you guys’) homebrew wires would show.
Personal expereience though: I looked into digital hookups between transport and dac and listened to a fair few different digital cables and concluded that the Black Cat was noticably the best BNC cable Id heard in my system and allowed my digital kit to really do it’s thing.
Using the RCA adapters it comes with, it was the best Rca Spdif cable I’d heard in my setup.

My other ‘last’ digital cable was for XLR connection from my Transporter to Dac, from an American Company called Morrow Audio...stumbled across them over on the Steve Hoffman forum, did some digging and tried one.
Their Dig4 XLR to XLR blew away the other 3 XLR cables Id tried with it, really top notch.

Dont think about digital cables anymore, jobs a good’un.

Ninanina
26-11-2017, 21:57
Dont think about digital cables anymore, jobs a good’un.

Gary that's how I view the Black Cat cable... I can't see it being beat without spending a huge amount more...

I would have kept my lovely SLIC digital cable but I needed BNC connectors as my CD5XS only has BNC outputs and the SLIC is RCA only

Strangely enough the Silverstar was about the same price as the SLIC, give or take

The Silverstar also lets the 'boogie' of the Naim shine through... ;)