PDA

View Full Version : Fozgometer

Iceman16
09-11-2017, 19:33
Hi all, Has anyone have use a fozgometer to set cartridge azimuth? Are there any other alternatives to check and cartridge bias without spending too much like a fozgometer?
Thanks
Jayson

CliveG
09-11-2017, 20:12
This method worked well for me in the past. You need a multimeter and a bit of patience but I got really satisfying results.
https://www.analogplanet.com/content/crazy-little-thing-called-azimuth-part-2
I used a really cheap Behringer equaliser instead of low and high pass filters, cost £30 on ebay.

Primalsea
09-11-2017, 22:31
I have one of those hifi test records and just followed the procedure in the instruction. Having a Rega arm I did not adjust azimuth but was able to at least checkit was OK.

Iceman16
09-11-2017, 23:00
My primary purpose is to check the bias or output for L and R channel if they are even

montesquieu
10-11-2017, 00:35
My primary purpose is to check the bias or output for L and R channel if they are even

Fozgometer and test records are really about the setup though it did identify an issue with an Ikeda cartridge I had.

If it's setup then a test record & mono button is really all you need. If you are worried about the functioning of the cartridge, it to Johnny at Audio Origami for a full checkover (coil measurement and microscope tip evaluation).

Iceman16
10-11-2017, 14:48
Fozgometer and test records are really about the setup though it did identify an issue with an Ikeda cartridge I had.

If it's setup then a test record & mono button is really all you need. If you are worried about the functioning of the cartridge, it to Johnny at Audio Origami for a full checkover (coil measurement and microscope tip evaluation).
Hi Tom, I have no issue with the cart. as I only bought it new a week ago. I just want to make sure it’s azimuth is correct as I have a feeling the right channel is a little bit louder than left.

montesquieu
10-11-2017, 15:20
Hi Tom, I have no issue with the cart. as I only bought it new a week ago. I just want to make sure it’s azimuth is correct as I have a feeling the right channel is a little bit louder than left.

I had a Fozgometer for a bit and there's no doubt it was useful, but I found generally that I could set things up using a test record and the mono button and found that the Fozgometer was merely confirming what I was doing by ear. I sold it in the end but there's no doubt they are handy devices.

As I say though it did pick up a problem with an (also new) Ikeda cartridge which turned out to have an imbalance in the channel outputs, that I then was able to send back to where I bought it from. (Juki in Hong Kong - I have to say his customer service over this was first class). I had initially wondered if this was my imagination but the Fozgometer provided a visual measurement of the effect.

Iceman16
10-11-2017, 18:04
I just ordered HFN Test LP and start from it.

Iceman16
23-11-2017, 21:15
Anyone who got a Fozgometer that I can loan please.