PDA

View Full Version : Why don't we swap unwanted CDs between us?

Neil McCauley
13-05-2008, 13:16
Re the 38 music CDs I gave away - well, thank you all for your kind comments. Much appreciated and certainly not taken for granted. Really!

I must own up to a bit of self-interest re this. I got a real buzz out of doing it.

Now then, some of the comments on that previous thread have a catalysed yet another thought. How about free swaps of unwanted CDs between UK members? Not just for those of you who have ended up with material from me perhaps irrelevant to your interests, but wider afield.

I'm happy to offer a few more CDs FOC and post free in the UK and will be happy to accept any CD, in good (playable) condition, in return – again post free

I hope. By “anything”, I really should qualify this by saying that please – no hip hop. trance, dance, thrash or trad jazz – or Lieder. Sorry about this but try as I might, I just can’t get any of my remaining brain cells around that kind of stuff.

One good thing though in that years back – when I was more ignorant that I am now – I used to classify the aforementioned genres as shite. I’ve come to realise that merely ‘cos I don’t like something, it doesn’t automatically mean it’s rubbish. A bit late I know, but it is a start.

Anyway, if there is any interest re this free swap idea, I’ll have another trawl through the CD racks here and see what I can throw into the pot to kick start it.

I'm away abroad from May 19th to 27th inclusive.

Thanks.

griffo104
13-05-2008, 13:22
An Excellent idea.

I've got a good few cds I no longer play or have barely been played and wouldn't mind swapping them for something new.

If enough people are interested maybe Marco and the mods could set up a sticky with a sort of Swap Shop. Could put down wants as well in case any of us have hidden gems loved by others but lost.

As for music and being shite. That's something I've learnt over the years as well, every genre of music has some quality in it (excepting hip-hop and what they now call R'n'B (gimme the old Stax stuff any day of the week though))

I'm happy joining in this, may get some new disks and open my ears to something new as well, always willing to listen to new stuff.

Neil McCauley
13-05-2008, 13:39
An Excellent idea.

I've got a good few cds I no longer play or have barely been played and wouldn't mind swapping them for something new.

If enough people are interested maybe Marco and the mods could set up a sticky with a sort of Swap Shop. Could put down wants as well in case any of us have hidden gems loved by others but lost.

As for music and being shite. That's something I've learnt over the years as well, every genre of music has some quality in it (excepting hip-hop and what they now call R'n'B (gimme the old Stax stuff any day of the week though))

I'm happy joining in this, may get some new disks and open my ears to something new as well, always willing to listen to new stuff.
Nice one Griffo104. Like it!

Okay, here's what i can fling into the pot right now.

Covers, inserts and discs all in excellent condition.

All I ask is that people refrain from asking me how I ended up with some of this stuff. Sometimes I was misguided (and not for the first time) or a customer left it here - deliberately! Anyway ......

The Steets: "A grand don't Come For free"
Various Artists Sampler: Arctic Monkeys, Roger McGuinn, Squeeze, Bill Bragg, Beth Orton, Richard Thompson {live rare track}, The Jam.
M People: "Elegant Slumming"
Stoned; The Temptations, Chris Farlowe, Chuck Berry, Bo Diddley, Turing Brakes, Billy Bragg, Jimmy Reed - and more
The Haemorrhoids "My Racing Saddle"
Various Artists Sampler: ABC, Dire Straits, Happy Mondays, The Wonder Stuff, New Order, Cast, Sting
All Saints: "All Saints"
The Roots Of Bob Dylan: Sonny Terry & Brownie McGhee, Richie Havens, Cisco Houston, The Staple Singers, Muddy Waters, Lightnin' Hopkins - and more
My Third Nostril "Nasal Debris"
Various Artists: "Hail To The King" (Includes Jeff Beck, Duffy Power, Link Wray, Roy Orbison - and more

Usual thing - just email me hp@no-alibi.demon.co.uk

griffo104
13-05-2008, 13:42
I'll have a quick flick through my cd collection tonight and post some tomorrow morning.

griffo104
14-05-2008, 07:43
ok these are the ones I can fling in the pot :

Perfect Houseplants - Snap Clutter - great Jazz album on the Linn label but I have it on SACD as well
Gil Scott-Heron - Ghetto Style
Snow Patrol - Final Straw
Maximo Park - A Certain Trigger
Funkadelic - The whole funk and nothing but the funk (2cd)
Dangerdoom - The mouse and the mask - coming together of two hip-hop allstars which I bought on a whim and really not my pint of beer.
Diane Schuur - Friends for Schuur - female Jazz vocalist
White Stripes - elephant
Mozez - So Still - Male vocalist with Zero 7 but not really my sort of thing.

Same rules as Howard, no more than two per person, first come first served. PM me here if anyone is interested.

I'll have some more to post up when I get back up to Brum at the weekend and sort some more out up there.

anthonyTD
14-05-2008, 10:08
An Excellent idea.

i agree,
nice one guys.come on marco, steve, rob, get your ar*es into gear, get a page up for people to post their swaps, eg, what they have, and what their looking for etc.
great idea,maybe vinyl too?
anthony...;)

Filterlab
14-05-2008, 10:25
...come on marco, steve, rob, get your ar*es into gear, get a page up for people to post their swaps...

Mod's job. :lol:

I'll do a page in about half an hour for you. :)

Neil McCauley
14-05-2008, 10:26
i agree,
nice one guys.come on marco, steve, rob, get your ar*es into gear, get a page up for people to post their swaps, eg, what they have, and what their looking for etc.
great idea,maybe vinyl too?
anthony...;)
Hello again. With this sort of encouragement, we might get some 'traction' here. As for vinyl, I'll pass on this – only because [a] the hassle of getting decent packaging and [b] recent price rises from Royal Mail for parcels they now rate as 'oversized' make this a fairly expensive swop procedure. Might I suggest that before any of you get involved in vinyl swapping, you might just want to take a sample to your local Post Office to get some idea of the cost now that size (as distinct from only weight) is part of their calculations. Just a thought.

griffo104
14-05-2008, 10:59
I'm with Howard with regards to vinyl. I think due to the cost and care required with posting records then you would really need to sell them or charge for postage which defeats the point a little.

Let's try it out with cds and see how we go.

Filterlab
14-05-2008, 11:11
...Let's try it out with cds and see how we go.

Good call Griffo, CDs are a little more resilient.

Filterlab
14-05-2008, 11:16
New swap shop alert!

Click your little mousy HERE! (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=553)

anthonyTD
14-05-2008, 21:28
Good call Griffo, CDs are a little more resilient.

after a re-think, your probably right about the vinyl guys, but hey,the original idea is a gem.;)
anthony...

Filterlab
14-05-2008, 22:01
after a re-think, your probably right about the vinyl guys, but hey,the original idea is a gem.;)
anthony...

If it goes well then maybe a few chaps wouldn't mind trading vinyl. :)

Marco
16-05-2008, 18:32
Just so everyone knows :)

It's more appropriate to host it in the music room.

Marco.