PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Scotland

pwood
18-02-2010, 10:30
Hi folks joined yesterday after reading through the forum. I was looking for a hifi related forum that seems more open to the idea everything has an effect on the sound (especially cables). This one seems that way in the main. Music wise I am a typical hifi fan and have a wide palette Calvin Harris, Depeche Mode,Moloko, Sea Sick Steve, Keb Mo, Diana Krall, Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters, Thomas Dolby (aliens Ate My Buick is my test disc of choice), etc etc

I have been into the art of spending money on kit for over 22 years and now have the following kit: Onkyo 875, Monitor Audio RX6 GW,Monitor audio RX centre GW,Monitor Audio BFX rears, REL QUAKE,Arcam CD73t CD ,Russ Andrews Yello mains cabling & PBJ interconnects,Ecosse ES4.5 speaker cable bi amped or Linn K400. I only have the one room for my kit hence the compromise of an av amp.

Being from Central Scotland I have spent more time in doors of late than I would have liked.......global warming is taking its time up here:(

Spectral Morn
18-02-2010, 10:54
Hi Welcome to AoS :)

Love Scotland where about's are you ?

I love Sterlingshire, Perth area and in and around the Black Isle, Inverness.

Yes AoS is one of the more open minded forums regarding the effects of things on audio kit. We do have wee cliques too, Beresford Dac, Technics TTs, valve amps, Tannoys etc, but we are open minded and won't poo poo any ideas or experiences...thought they may be robustly challenged..just to get to the heart of, and gain an understanding of what was heard, experienced etc.

Don't let that put you of though AoS, it is a friendly forum.

Can you add Scotland to your location details and a first name as your signature. We like to use first names here.

I too regularly use Thomas Dolby's Aliens album/cd when writing reviews here on AoS...great album imho.

Regards D S D L

pwood
18-02-2010, 11:28
Reason for joining was that i used AVforums exclusively for years but when it comes to hifi especially interconnect, mains, speaker cables the flamers are on a mission to brainwash the world. Fair enough regards HDMI cables but my ears tell me different re the former.

So I can say I have noted improvement using this (http://www.russandrews.com/product.asp?src=google&lookup=1&region=UK&currency=GBP&pf_id=5410&customer_id=PAA1850022510480RKZYGQMEFNFJRXRD) on certain CD's and not get banned:)

Spectral Morn
18-02-2010, 12:04
Reason for joining was that i used AVforums exclusively for years but when it comes to hifi especially interconnect, mains, speaker cables the flamers are on a mission to brainwash the world. Fair enough regards HDMI cables but my ears tell me different re the former.

So I can say I have noted improvement using this (http://www.russandrews.com/product.asp?src=google&lookup=1&region=UK&currency=GBP&pf_id=5410&customer_id=PAA1850022510480RKZYGQMEFNFJRXRD) on certain CD's and not get banned:)

I understand been there myself. I too got fed up with it so came to AoS.

Enjoy yourself here and have fun P

Regards D S D L

Ali Tait
18-02-2010, 12:42
Hi and welcome from a fellow Scot.Am in Dunfermline myself,whereabouts are you?

pwood
18-02-2010, 13:40
Just down the road on the outskirts of Stirling.

Spectral Morn
18-02-2010, 14:09
Just down the road on the outskirts of Stirling.

Fave, part of Scotland. My wife and I used to stay in Gargunock (probably spelt that wrong), until the cottage there was taken of the rental market.

Regards D S D L

pwood
18-02-2010, 14:26
At least I know where Gargunnock is, New Skabo is that not Doctor who territory:scratch:

pwood
18-02-2010, 15:46
At least I know where Gargunnock is, New Skabo is that not Doctor who territory:scratch:

Not sure that came across properly. Just wondered where you hail from. Gargunnock btw has changed very little over the years whereas Stirling has a fair bit.

Marco
18-02-2010, 15:51
Hi there and welcome to AOS :)

What does the 'P' stand for, mate? I know you've been asked this already, but you seem to be avoiding the issue, and I don't want to keep referring to you as 'Mr P'! ;)

I know Stirling quite well, and I also know where Gargunnock is. I lived in Glasgow for 34 years before moving down to Wales.

Anyway, enjoy yourself and get stuck in! :cool:

Marco.

pwood
18-02-2010, 16:06
Paul.

Marco
18-02-2010, 16:22
Nice one, Paul - thanks for that! I look forward to reading your contributions :)

Incidentally, Crieff is one of my favourite areas up your neck of the woods, but that's in Perthshire, although I think it's only about 15 miles from Stirling :cool:

Marco.

DevillEars
18-02-2010, 16:26
Hi Paul,

Let me add another 'welcome' to the string.

PS: I see from your system info that you are using MA RX6 speakers driven by an Onkyo amp. A mate of mine is looking for speakers to drive with Onkyo's A9755 150wpc 2-channel integrated and I was wondering if you had some feedback on the MA/Onkyo pairing?

Once again, welcome to the forum.

Dave

pwood
18-02-2010, 16:48
Under a grand I heard nothing else that hit the spot like the RX6's. They are easy to drive and far removed from the RS series which i found found overtly bright. My amp is regarded by some as being a bit forthright and works well with the RX6's. I demoed them using the shops Pioneer av amp circa £1500 which has a reputation for being bright as well. Bass definition or tunefullness on the RX6's is very impressive and a now dont find the need to use the REL quake for music much. I would describe the RX6 as clean unclouded sounding passing piano test very well. I find pianos and acoustic guitars more often than not produce a honk from the cabinets coloring the sound which I hate.

The fact they look amazing especially in gloss white was icing on the cake. The centre speaker integrates well with them which as i love my movies and concert blue rays is an important factor.

Please be aware they were demoed before What Hifi raved about them in case anyone thinks I only got them as they are flavor of the month.

The RX2 stand mount is also very good. I went for the RX6 as floorstanders look better and dont have the whole stand issue when you have cats and dangling cables to consider.

DevillEars
18-02-2010, 17:04
Thanks Paul - much obliged for prompt response!

Dave

Spectral Morn
18-02-2010, 17:04
Not sure that came across properly. Just wondered where you hail from. Gargunnock btw has changed very little over the years whereas Stirling has a fair bit.

I hail from Lincolnshire originally, but live in Northern Ireland now.

True Gargunnock has changed very little. Overall my fave place in Scotland is Cromarty up on the Black Isle near Inverness.

Regards D S D L

Themis
18-02-2010, 20:34
Hi Paul, welcome to AoS. :)

I like Scottish a lot, I have plenty of Scottish groups (Anam even put some bouzouki in their album Riptide !). ;)
This is not the real reason, of course...

DevillEars
18-02-2010, 20:46
(Anam even put some bouzouki in their album Riptide !)

Good job they were Scottish and not Northern Irish, otherwise that would have been a bazooka and not a bouzouki.... :)

Note the Northern Irish squirrel below:

http://www.allmilitary.com/i/Image/comedy_images_bazooka_squirrel_450.jpg

;)

Dave

Themis
18-02-2010, 20:49
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Beechwoods
18-02-2010, 21:24
^^

:uhho: :nocomment:

Welcome Paul!

The Grand Wazoo
19-02-2010, 00:20
ahem...........

Steve Toy
23-02-2010, 02:43
Funny but nasty. We have to laugh though even at the darkest of humour. I know I did. Should I feel guilty?

Rare Bird
23-02-2010, 14:32
Hi Paul, welcome to AoS. :)

I like Scottish a lot, I have plenty of Scottish groups (Anam even put some bouzouki in their album Riptide !). ;)
This is not the real reason, of course...

Don't tend to admitt this but i'm of Scot Blood, my mother.

Themis
23-02-2010, 16:24
Once more there's proof that most things have a logical explanation. :)

No wonder you feel good in Crete : Cretans are as proud (in the good way) as most Scottish I know. ;)

snapper
23-02-2010, 17:20

Yer guid side will be yer Scots side.

:smoking:

snapper
23-02-2010, 17:21
And yer english side will be yer backside.

:lolsign:

Rare Bird
23-02-2010, 17:58
:lolsign:

pwood
24-03-2010, 10:44
Out of curiosity I went back over (http://www.avforums.com/forums/interconnects-speaker-cables-switches/1211497-power-cables.html) to see what i was missing and very quickly came to the conclusion..... nothing;).