PDA

View Full Version : Wanted - Mullard or Telefunken ECC83

Bigman80
02-11-2017, 20:06
Has anyone got a pair of matched Mullards or Telefunken valves they are willing to sell for extremely reasonable money?

PM with details if you can help!

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

paulf-2007
02-11-2017, 20:47
Sorry Oliver, sold all mine, but mullards are well worth buying. With a bit of patience you can find some on eBay at reasonable prices.

Bigman80
02-11-2017, 20:55
Sorry Oliver, sold all mine, but mullards are well worth buying. With a bit of patience you can find some on eBay at reasonable prices.Cheers Paul, I am watching a few bits and bobs so patience it is!!

Edward
02-11-2017, 21:17
Langrex have several - but at 'ambitious' prices. :scratch:

Bigman80
02-11-2017, 21:39
Langrex have several - but at 'ambitious' prices. :scratch:No good to me. I'm definitely in the bargain section [emoji23]

Bigman80
02-11-2017, 22:08
Looks like I'm sorted for a matched pair of Telefunkens!!

Thanks all

Jazid
02-11-2017, 22:20
No good to me. I'm definitely in the bargain section [emoji23]

Sent from my EVA-L09 using TapatalkHmm
Trying not to be too cynical here but I am keen for a bargain Ferrari. Trouble is, if I can afford it what will I be buying? Using a working valve tester the chance of getting a matched pair of Telefunken valves for cheap is essentially zero, it is of course better if you are willing to act on faith and possibly a little better if you want late production short plate Mullards.
If money is short I suggest JJ new tubes or a lottery of used 1990s Chinese tubes available for pennies and surprisingly robust.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

EDIT: you are sorted, hope I'm wrong :)

Bigman80
02-11-2017, 22:27
Hmm
Trying not to be too cynical here but I am keen for a bargain Ferrari. Trouble is, if I can afford it what will I be buying? Using a working valve tester the chance of getting a matched pair of Telefunken valves for cheap is essentially zero, it is of course better if you are willing to act on faith and possibly a little better if you want late production short plate Mullards.
If money is short I suggest JJ new tubes or a lottery of used 1990s Chinese tubes available for pennies and surprisingly robust.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using TapatalkHi James,

I get what you are saying but let's be clear here, i meant matched as in the same type previously bought as a pair I realise now matched means how they measure a bit of naivety as I'm new to Valves

To me a bargain doesn't mean scraping the barrel, it means getting the best value available. To me it means paying what I'm prepared to for an item rather than the "going rate"

Look at my Tenuto thread, I wanted one, so I found the most budget friendly way of doing it. I want high quality but for reasonable money.

Edward
02-11-2017, 22:40
Oliver, am interested in your experiences of the change you detect once you get your Telefunkens. I guess it is for your Jolida?

In my Radford I have ECF82s (Mullards) and so far I have not tried anything different.

Barry
02-11-2017, 22:47
Oliver, am interested in your experiences of the change you detect once you get your Telefunkens. I guess it is for your Jolida?

In my Radford I have ECF82s (Mullards) and so far I have not tried anything different.

All the valves in my Radford STA15 are Blackburn Road Mullards.

Bigman80
02-11-2017, 22:47

In my Radford I have ECF82s (Mullards) and so far I have not tried anything different.I'll happily harp on about it if it's good hahaha

To be honest, what's prompted the change is Alan borrowed me a box of random ECC83 valves and it had a Mullard in. I paired it up with the most similar one I could find. The detail that came through was abundant and there was a silk to the delivery I hadn't heard before. I am happy to spend a decent chunk of money for two gas filled bottles based on what I heard today.

I also just managed to find two Telefunken manufactured valves A fisher and one with no markings. The both have the moulded squares in the base. I'm not sure he knows himself lol

Bigman80
02-11-2017, 22:48
All the valves in my Radford STA15 are Blackburn Road Mullards.Nice.

Edward
02-11-2017, 23:04
All the valves in my Radford STA15 are Blackburn Road Mullards.

Oh! I did not know you had a Radford Barry. What's the history/provenance?

I just had a peek at your profile. Sheesh you have a lot of stuff. :rolleyes:

Bigman80
02-11-2017, 23:35
Right! Back to looking. No measurements available with the offered valves.

I'm preferring Telefunkens to the Mullards, they aren't as warm sounding so

Anyone got some Telefunkens with measurements available​?

Jazid
02-11-2017, 23:43
Oh! I did not know you had a Radford Barry. What's the history/provenance?

I just had a peek at your profile. Sheesh you have a lot of stuff. :rolleyes:In my limited experience there is nothing sonically quite like the M8137 box plate Mullards which are mostly from the Mitcham factory. It's always a combination of valve characteristics and circuit topology, so YMMV, but if you get a chance then these relatively uncommon valves are worth seeking out.
Good for you ignoring aesthetics, most Telefunken valves start to lose their print before mid-life, it's almost a sign of authenticity!

Jazid
02-11-2017, 23:55
In my limited experience there is nothing sonically quite like the M8137 box plate Mullards which are mostly from the Mitcham factory. It's always a combination of valve characteristics and circuit topology, so YMMV, but if you get a chance then these relatively uncommon valves are worth seeking out.
Good for you ignoring aesthetics, most Telefunken valves start to lose their print before mid-life, it's almost a sign of authenticity!

Sent from my GT-I9195 using TapatalkIn my further experience of measuring valves Telefunken flat plates don't seem to measure strongly but are much admired, the ribbed plates seem to have steeper curves and 'better' static measurements and are somewhat less revered. Whatever the case, better valves will always have similar (and strong) performance from both halves of the double triode, ideally you need to know under what conditions they were measured. Personally I wouldn't sniff at a pair of good Mullards, Philips, Tungsram, Valvo, Tesla, Telefunken, or Matsushita valves. They are all solid and worth a try.

Bigman80
02-11-2017, 23:58
In my limited experience there is nothing sonically quite like the M8137 box plate Mullards which are mostly from the Mitcham factory. It's always a combination of valve characteristics and circuit topology, so YMMV, but if you get a chance then these relatively uncommon valves are worth seeking out.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using TapatalkHi James,

Yes the seller did state the print was worn off but as you say, it almost guarantee they are genuine lol.

I'm just a bit unsure about not knowing the condition or numbers before I've paid. I'm reading there is quite a necessity to get them as near as possible due to him and harmonic distortion?

Bigman80
02-11-2017, 23:59
In my further experience of measuring valves Telefunken flat plates don't seem to measure strongly but are much admired, the ribbed plates seem to have steeper curves and 'better' static measurements and are somewhat less revered. Whatever the case, better valves will always have similar (and strong) performance from both halves of the double triode, ideally you need to know under what conditions they were measured. Personally I wouldn't sniff at a pair of good Mullards, Philips, Tungsram, Valvo, Tesla, Telefunken, or Matsushita valves. They are all solid and worth a try.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using TapatalkWould you take the gamble on unmeasured genuine Telefunken? I don't know if they are long or short plate either. Just that they are smooth!

oceanobsession
03-11-2017, 00:01
10 years ago there was a lot of people selling old valves that they had removed from old radios etc , not tested , and there were bargains to be had ,
ecc83 has a long life , not like power valves , but now most people are selling on ebay with measerments so less bargains , I do think its worth taking a chance on a ecc83 due to the long life , rca and old tungsol being my favourite , lots of fakes on ebay , but not with horse shoe getters or square , so
if the valve has anything but round its likely to be genuine , there are still bargains to be had , matched triodes are hard to come by , ask langrex ,
you would have to test 50 to get 5 matched , and to my ears there is no sound difference even when they are fairly unmatched , others I'm sure will
not agree with this but that my opinion . phil.

Bigman80
03-11-2017, 00:04
10 years ago there was a lot of people selling old valves that they had removed from old radios etc , not tested , and there were bargains to be had ,
ecc83 has a long life , not like power valves , but now most people are selling on ebay with measerments so less bargains , I do think its worth taking a chance on a ecc83 due to the long life , rca and old tungsol being my favourite , lots of fakes on ebay , but not with horse shoe getters or square , so
if the valve has anything but round its likely to be genuine , there are still bargains to be had , matched triodes are hard to come by , ask langrex ,
you would have to test 50 to get 5 matched , and to my ears there is no sound difference even when they are fairly unmatched , others I'm sure will
not agree with this but that my opinion . phil.Ok Phil,

Thanks for your input. I am waiting to see if they are long plate. If they are I might just go for it.

Still looking though lol.

Bigman80
03-11-2017, 08:20
Still looking.

Bigman80
03-11-2017, 08:33
Bought some ""THE FISHER" long plate made by Telefunken.

Interesting. Can't wait!

Jazid
03-11-2017, 09:51
not agree with this but that my opinion . phil.Indeed the market is tighter than then. I personally have never been sold a fake on eBay, though I have a few I've collected as swaps or taken in px out of interest. I am not sure the fakes market is as prevalent as people believe, the requirement of a cheap clean valve to start with might put fakers off, and I imagine they would stick with high ticket valves like Tfk frame grids &c rather than mass market tubes. More prevalent and differently interesting (to a valve nerd like me) are cross-branded items: Philips group are common, but the old EI company sold ECC83 valves made on Philips machines with Philips glass and Telefunken internals. Early valves from this company had genuine Tfk supplied internals and some appear to have been sent back to them for branding and sale. So I have a hybrid with genuine diamond base, pins and metals, but Philips glass casing, sporting both Telefunken's original chalky printing and Philips etched date and factory codes which indicate EI provenance. Is this a fake, and if so of what? Interestingly it seems to have been sold by Brent Jesse as a Tfk original though I am not certain of this. Later EI valves appear to have their metals sourced elsewhere. Audii valves are a minefield, but an interesting one :)
Best of luck with your Tfk, I have some Fisher branded Tfk tubes and enjoy them in my phono stage from time to time.

msg1979
03-11-2017, 10:19
If you heater are 6,3v then buy an adapter and a Telefunken ecc808. They are far superior than the hyped and overpriced Telefunken ecc803s ;)
The russian Voshkov 6n2p-eb or ev are also superior - also need an adapter - and run 6.3v

disarmamant
03-11-2017, 10:20
I am happy to spend a decent chunk of money for two gas filled bottles based on what I heard today.

You definately don't want any gas in those bottles!

Bigman80
03-11-2017, 10:23
You definately don't want any gas in those bottles!Yep, another newbie faux Pas.

I'm reading and learning 🤤

msg1979
03-11-2017, 10:24
Give me a pm. I got original old mullards

Bigman80
03-11-2017, 10:46
Give me a pm. I got original old mullardsI'm sorted now thanks!