PDA

View Full Version : Album Club, November 2017: Rory Gallagher ‘Edged in Blue’

Album Club
31-10-2017, 18:30
The Album Club choice for November comes courtesy of Barry with Rory Gallagher’s ‘Edged in Blue’. As usual please listen to the album in its entirety before you comment and/or vote.

Rory Gallagher – ‘Edged in Blue’

https://images-eu.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/21SQPH6T96L._AC_US218_.jpg

With this album we go back to some no-nonsense good old back-to-basics R&B, courtesy of late Irish bluesman Rory Gallagher. I have chosen this particular album from Gallagher’s copious output, as it is a mixture of some slow blues with some live tracks that are full-throttle, ‘pedal to the metal’ driving blues. I’m not going to pick out any tracks in particular – I love them all.

Gallagher was a consummate Blues guitar player, displaying none of the ‘airs and graces’ that afflicted some of his contemporaries. A modest humble man who clearly loved playing the Blues and entertaining. He would often be one of the first to show up at free festival in his van, guitar in hand saying: “Can I play? Where do I plug in?”

This is some Blues at its finest, performed by someone who was great exponent of the genre and who sadly died far too young.

Play it loud and enjoy!

(‘Edged in Blue’ is a compilation album and a downloadable copy does not exist on YouTube. So I have had to separately list the tracks (in playing order) and choose those that are closest to the playing time as used on the album. Apologies for the piecemeal YouTube listing; it should at least give you the flavour of ‘Edged in Blue’.)

Don’t Start Me to Talkin’
rKYFgx9WDYA

The Loop
Y8h6PuHzLko

Calling Card
GZGlXzvdYvU

Heaven’s Gate
6iRV47aS3zo

At the Depot
oeXl1VW0DkI
Brute Force and Ignorance
JMmsoxoDC1E

Loanshark Blues
T7auSoKwkHs

I Could Have Had Religion
fPxyMJrutJc

Ride on Red, Ride on
4tm52qPnn9s

I Wonder Who
ZsT-EFrt8Nc

Seven Days
D8w4wvTlpf8

Sand Dancin Donkey Walker
19-11-2017, 11:42
Can't believe there have been on posts for Rory Gallagher - Edged in Blue
Not heard this one previously, though I do know quite a few of the tracks, enjoyed the recommendation.
Have seen him live a few times in the late 70's to early 80's I think ( memory fade )
Having enjoyed the playing will dig out some more later today
Good choice

Tim
19-11-2017, 14:28
Can't believe there have been on posts for Rory Gallagher - Edged in Blue
What put me off was the fact it was just YouTube clips, not on Spotify so I kind of passed it by . . . sorry :o

19-11-2017, 15:18
Hi Tim
Had seen the post earlier in the month and meant add my remarks, but have been away with work and forgot.
Just found it surprising as RG is a highly regarded guitarist and liked but many.
I can see your point of the multiple YouTube links
I should really volunteer for the next batch of offerings.

Tim
19-11-2017, 17:06
I should really volunteer for the next batch of offerings.
I'd look out for that, you spin good toons ;)

Barry
19-11-2017, 19:06
What put me off was the fact it was just YouTube clips, not on Spotify so I kind of passed it by . . . sorry :o

Understandable, but it is not available on Spotify - I did try! :rolleyes:

paulf-2007
21-11-2017, 19:01
Jeez what a faff, couldn't find anything on your list.

high.spirits
22-11-2017, 10:00
Enjoyed listening to this album, especially The Loop, great drumming and harmonica. 8/10

Barry
01-12-2017, 12:19
Again apologies for the 'piecemeal' nature of the audio links - it was the best I could do. Thanks therefore to those that persevered and voted.

As for me, I'm giving it a 10, which is not something I normally do - even for my own Album Club choices. :)

02-12-2017, 12:49
Barry, I really enjoyed your choice.
Got me to go back in time and re-visit some RG, which I enjoyed.
Well done and keep it up. It can be surprising what we enjoy but forget to play.

legb4rsk
24-12-2017, 02:54
Yes,a great player.Always used the same old guitar.I spoke to someone who was on tour with him & he said he was exactly what he appeared to be.A very humble ,easy going guy.

My favourite album is 'Tattoo' which I bought when when it came out & enjoy still.

Spectral Morn
25-12-2017, 09:46
Always felt he was a live artist, rather than recording. Saw him numerous times live and always enjoyed his music that way, but on record, nope.

So 10 out of 10 for live.

RIP Rory :cool: