PDA

View Full Version : Hello from USA

No Regrets
17-02-2010, 10:07
Hello,

My name is Don and I am addicted to all things related to music. I have loved music for as long as I can remember. I started performing when I was 10 years old and became an audiophile when I was 24 years old.

When I am not playing my instruments, I am either listening to the vast array of live music that is available in my area ranging from chamber music to full symphony orchestras, small jazz combos to full big band swing....all acoustically performed with no PA speakers. We also have our fair share of blues and rock bands, but of course those are amplified...but still can be great fun to listen too. When not doing the live music bit, I am at home trying to recreate the live experience by listening to all the old great performers via their recordings played through my home audio system: Linn LP12 with a DC motor and Pink Link power supply. Naim ARO tone arm, Benz wood bodied moving coil with a .9mV output. An all tubed phono stage by Artemis Labs, a dual mono all tubed preamp by First Sound Presence Audio, a Single Ended Triode 845 power amp and Dunlavy SCIV loudspeakers.

I thinking about starting a secondary system in another room in my house and am considering Vintage Tannoy Monitor Golds, to be run off of vacuum tubes as well. As I was doing research on the Tannoys, I happened across this forum and thought it was pretty nice. So I thought I would say hi and maybe we can chat from time to time.

Warmest regards,
Don (No Regrets)

Spectral Morn
17-02-2010, 10:21
Hello,

My name is Don and I am addicted to all things related to music. I have loved music for as long as I can remember. I started performing when I was 10 years old and became an audiophile when I was 24 years old.

When I am not playing my instruments, I am either listening to the vast array of live music that is available in my area ranging from chamber music to full symphony orchestras, small jazz combos to full big band swing....all acoustically performed with no PA speakers. We also have our fair share of blues and rock bands, but of course those are amplified...but still can be great fun to listen too. When not doing the live music bit, I am at home trying to recreate the live experience by listening to all the old great performers via their recordings played through my home audio system: Linn LP12 with a DC motor and Pink Link power supply. Naim ARO tone arm, Benz wood bodied moving coil with a .9mV output. An all tubed phono stage by Artemis Labs, a dual mono all tubed preamp by First Sound Presence Audio, a Single Ended Triode 845 power amp and Dunlavy SCIV loudspeakers.

I thinking about starting a secondary system in another room in my house and am considering Vintage Tannoy Monitor Golds, to be run off of vacuum tubes as well. As I was doing research on the Tannoys, I happened across this forum and thought it was pretty nice. So I thought I would say hi and maybe we can chat from time to time.

Warmest regards,
Don (No Regrets)

Hi Don

Welcome to AoS.

Enjoy the forum.

Nice system you have there....I know I, and everyone else, would love to see some photos of it, in the Gallery...please....:)

Regards D S D L

No Regrets
17-02-2010, 10:25
Hi Neil,

Thank you for the welcome. I'm still pretty much old school and still do not own a digital camera yet. I do have some photos on my camera phone. If I could figure out how to transfer them to the computer I could try and get them here on the forum.

Thanks again for saying hi.
Don

Spectral Morn
17-02-2010, 11:14
Hi Neil,

Thank you for the welcome. I'm still pretty much old school and still do not own a digital camera yet. I do have some photos on my camera phone. If I could figure out how to transfer them to the computer I could try and get them here on the forum.

Thanks again for saying hi.
Don

Hi Don

No problem, look forward to seeing the results, if you are successful.

Regards D S D L

Mike Reed
17-02-2010, 11:17
Don, firstly, welcome to the forum, and secondly, congratulations for mentioning the password. Tannoy. More than once, in fact.

You don't say which part of the States you're from, b.t.w.

Digital Luddite with a camera mobile (cellphone)? Pull the other one!

Ali Tait
17-02-2010, 11:24
Hi Don,and welcome.What 845 amp is it you have?

No Regrets
17-02-2010, 11:25
Hi Mike,

Thank you for the welcome. I'm from Wisconsin. So are you a Tannoy fan? I see in your photo what looks like some ProAc speakers. Years ago I had some ProAc Response 2 stand mounted speakers. I thought they did a great job for their size. When I bought my Dunlavy SCIV's I gave my ProAc's to my brother and he is still using them to this day!

Don

DevillEars
17-02-2010, 12:43
Hi Don,

Yet another hearty welcome - this time from Africa...

Like Mike Reed, I too am a fan of Tannoys - albeit not the original horn designs. I've had their D700s for 15 years and have no desire to change.

Enjoy the forum

Dave (aka DevillEars)

PS: let's raise the right wrist in salutation :cool:

Mike Reed
17-02-2010, 14:40
GENTLEMEN (Don and Dave)

'Twas a humorous ambiguity on my part. I do indeed have large ProAcs, and am not a Tannoy fan, only because I have no experience of them.

The Chairman of this parish, MARCO, is a big Tannoy fan and a fan of big Tannoys, oft mentioned in these threads.

Dave from the Transvaal also has large Tannoys, as he says above and can be seen in his pics. His were sourced from the gleaming spires of Oxford, whereas Marco's have been heavily modified with Welsh wizardry, I believe. My ProAcs have two nine inch woofers each and a twelve inch cat on top which handles the upper frequencies.

There was some discussion here recently about the virtues of big woofer cones as opposed to their (theoretical?) response (speed) downsides. Needless to say, there were no objective conclusions!

Wisconsin has, I vaguely remember, a large indigenous German/Swedish complement, but maybe that's now history.

Themis
17-02-2010, 14:50
Welcome to AoS, Donn. ;)

No Regrets
17-02-2010, 18:50
Hi Don,and welcome.What 845 amp is it you have?

Hello Ali,

Thank you for the welcome. My 845 amp is by Bel Canto, a beautiful sounding amp weighing 85 pounds, which unfortunately is no longer being made. Here is a link to the owners manual which talks in depth about the design philosphy and gives all of the specifications.

http://www.belcantodesign.com/pdfs/Set40_userguide.pdf

No Regrets
17-02-2010, 19:01
Hi Don,

Yet another hearty welcome - this time from Africa...

Like Mike Reed, I too am a fan of Tannoys - albeit not the original horn designs. I've had their D700s for 15 years and have no desire to change.

Enjoy the forum

Dave (aka DevillEars)

PS: let's raise the right wrist in salutation :cool:

Hello Dave and thank you for the welcome. I raise my glass to you as well. Isn't it nice when you can find a set of speakers that can keep you satisfied for many years and keep you off that merry-go-round, so to speak? I see that you also are a fan of the Linn LP12. I sure have gotten a lot of enjoyment from mine over the years.

Thanks and take care,
Don (No Regrets)

No Regrets
17-02-2010, 19:17
GENTLEMEN (Don and Dave)

'Twas a humorous ambiguity on my part. I do indeed have large ProAcs, and am not a Tannoy fan, only because I have no experience of them.

The Chairman of this parish, MARCO, is a big Tannoy fan and a fan of big Tannoys, oft mentioned in these threads.

Dave from the Transvaal also has large Tannoys, as he says above and can be seen in his pics. His were sourced from the gleaming spires of Oxford, whereas Marco's have been heavily modified with Welsh wizardry, I believe. My ProAcs have two nine inch woofers each and a twelve inch cat on top which handles the upper frequencies.

There was some discussion here recently about the virtues of big woofer cones as opposed to their (theoretical?) response (speed) downsides. Needless to say, there were no objective conclusions!

Wisconsin has, I vaguely remember, a large indigenous German/Swedish complement, but maybe that's now history.

Hello Mike,

Yes indeed, Wisconsin does have a very large complement of both German and Sweedish heritage. Although, our population continues to grow and has become more diverse with the recent additions from the countries of Laos and Mexico. Wisconsin is a beautiful place to live with many lakes and rivers and beautiful countrysides. We are known for our cheese and beer, and our friendliness.

I will have to try and find the discussions that you referred to, as that is one of my concerns that I may have with the Tannoys. Crossing over a big 15" or even a 12" to the tweeter may have some effects that I might not be used to hearing.

Your ProAcs are set up simalar to my Dunlavy SCIV's. I have a 10" woofer on the extreme top and bottom, then two 5 1/2" mids, with a tweeter in the center of them.

Take care Mike,
Don (No Regrets)

DevillEars
17-02-2010, 19:18
I do indeed have large ProAcs

Hi Mike,

Sometimes the eye-optic nerve-brain linkage can do weird things...

When I first read that, I was puzzled over why you would need "large Prozacs"

;)

Dave

No Regrets
17-02-2010, 19:20
Welcome to AoS, Donn. ;)

Thank you for the welcome Dimitri.

Warmest regards,
Don (No Regrets)

Beechwoods
17-02-2010, 19:31
Welcome, Don! Glad you found us and I hope you enjoy it here :)

No Regrets
17-02-2010, 19:40
Welcome, Don! Glad you found us and I hope you enjoy it here :)

Hello Nick,

Thank you Nick. I'm glad I was able to find it as well. I sure I will enjoy discussing all things audio with you all.

Take care,
Don (No Regrets)

Spectral Morn
17-02-2010, 19:45
Hello Ali,

Thank you for the welcome. My 845 amp is by Bel Canto, a beautiful sounding amp weighing 85 pounds, which unfortunately is no longer being made. Here is a link to the owners manual which talks in depth about the design philosphy and gives all of the specifications.

http://www.belcantodesign.com/pdfs/Set40_userguide.pdf

Oh that's a very good amplifier indeed. Its a pity Bel Canto abandoned valves.

Regards D S D L

DSJR
17-02-2010, 19:56
Welcome indeed:)

Old big Tannoys have a huge disadvantage these days - they're VERY expensive now, the boxes they came in are cr@p by and large (unless you find some huge ones like Marco's), the crossovers on the old models was appallingly bad by today's standards (although they can be very successfully re-built) and the HPD drivers will need re-foaming (and probably a trip to Lockwoods in the London area for re-building - at least they can be)..

You know, in the US, there were some smooth JBL's made which would respond as do the Tannoys. I can't think of many models off the top of my head, but I'll do some research on my old mags and see if I can find anything.

There's an interesting article on some good old rock-n-roll JBL L100's which had a new crossover and better box. The response once fettled was totally removed from the ragged and severely peaky, squawky coloured original and the cone stylee tweeter was transformed for the better....

Look forward to reading how your second audio journey continues...;)

No Regrets
17-02-2010, 20:00
Oh that's a very good amplifier indeed. Its a pity Bel Canto abandoned valves.

Regards D S D L

Thanks Neil,

I have loved using this amp for many years. I never did understand why Bel Canto stopped making them. I'm sure the reason was not based on it's sound though.

There are a lot of great amps out there to hear. That's one reason why I enjoy the audio forums. It's a great way to learn more about what others have experienced and find out what they liked or disliked about various products as well as system synergies, etc.

Take care,
Don (No Regrets)

Ali Tait
17-02-2010, 20:01
37 watts SE? Seems a bit ambitious! Have you any pics?

Spectral Morn
17-02-2010, 20:07
Thanks Neil,

I have loved using this amp for many years. I never did understand why Bel Canto stopped making them. I'm sure the reason was not based on it's sound though.

There are a lot of great amps out there to hear. That's one reason why I enjoy the audio forums. It's a great way to learn more about what others have experienced and find out what they liked or disliked about various products as well as system synergies, etc.

Take care,
Don (No Regrets)

They felt they could achieve similar or better results using Tripath and now Ice digital technology (something I would and do question) + increasing material costs. I asked Bel Canto's MD a few years ago, and that was the answer he gave. At one point Sound By Singer (An American dealer) had asked BC to do a limited run of valve amplifiers, but the cost was way to high so the project was shelved by SBS. Pity:(

http://i549.photobucket.com/albums/ii364/davros124/seti40-1.gif That's the integrated. The power amplifier has a similar look.

Regards D S D L

Alex_UK
17-02-2010, 21:16
Welcome to AoS Don - I have to say you are the most polite new member we've had for ages - good manners cost nothing, as my old Granny used to say, and much appreciated by me at least!

I've not been to your state, though I do love the parts of the US I have visited, and a decade or so ago hoped I would get to see every state, after having done 10 or so, but I guess there's not enough years left in me, or cash in the bank these days!

Your system sounds very interesting, and I am sure your musical interests will add greatly to the forum - what instruments do you play?

Enjoy your time here, and I look forward to reading more of your contributions.

No Regrets
18-02-2010, 01:02
Hello DSJR,

There is a huge following of the vintage JBL line here in the States, but I have yet to hear any for myself. My understanding (which may not be correct) is that they are used mostly by those who really enjoy rock and roll types of music. I tend more to music that is played acoustically as well as classical and jazz.

I have come across a pair of vintage 12" Tannoy monitor golds in a custom cabinet made of baltic birch and walnut veneers, heavily braced and lined with acoustic foam. The crossovers have all been redone with high quality parts and the compensation controls have been eliminated and hardwired in. They are about 5 cubic feet and have twin ports on the front face being tuned to about 40hz which would probably work perfect in the smallish room that I plan on using this secondary system in. They are located just over 5 hrs away by car, so I have not been able to hear them yet. Possibly this coming or next weekend I will be able to get away for a roadtrip and check them out.

Considering the history of the famous Tannoy's, they certain have my interest piqued. But having never heard Tannoy's, I do not know yet if their sound will be to my liking. I heard great things about them, so I am hopeful.

Thanks for sharing your comments,
Don (No Regrets)

No Regrets
18-02-2010, 01:14
37 watts SE? Seems a bit ambitious! Have you any pics?

Hi Ali,

I will admit that those were my thoughts initially as well. I have a great friend who is very knowledgeable with circuit topologies, and actually designs and builds power amps, preamps, and phono stages. He is very talented and has made some very engaging and wonderful sounding pieces. He said that based on the Bel Canto's design with the driver stage, etc. that it is actually very true what Bel Canto is stating. I will admit that most of the technical information goes way over my head, but what I care most about is how the piece sounds to my ears. The Bel Canto makes my big Dunlavy SCIV's come alive with astounding dynamics, both micro and macro...has wonderful truth of timbre and gets the harmonics of instruments right. The imaging is absolutely fantastic in the way that they make these over six foot tall speakers simply disapear.

The picture of the integrated Bel Canto that was posted by DSDL (thank you for sharing the picture) is very simalar to what mine looks like, but mine does not have the electronics on the face of it.

Thank you,
Don (No Regrets)

No Regrets
18-02-2010, 01:25
Welcome to AoS Don - I have to say you are the most polite new member we've had for ages - good manners cost nothing, as my old Granny used to say, and much appreciated by me at least!

I've not been to your state, though I do love the parts of the US I have visited, and a decade or so ago hoped I would get to see every state, after having done 10 or so, but I guess there's not enough years left in me, or cash in the bank these days!

Your system sounds very interesting, and I am sure your musical interests will add greatly to the forum - what instruments do you play?

Enjoy your time here, and I look forward to reading more of your contributions.

Hello Alex,

Thank you so much for the kind words. If you ever find yourself continuing your travels in the U.S. and will be nearby, please let me know. I would love to meet you and your family and share some great food, drink and of course music (live or otherwise) with you.

As for musical instruments that I play.....both the baritone and euphonium classically; both the tenor and bass trombone for jazz; and the cello which is by far the most difficult, but is also my most favorite when playing solo.

Thank you Alex for the warm welcome and I look forward to sharing my experiences as well as learning from the experiences you all are willing to share with me.

Warmest regards,
Don (No Regrets)

No Regrets
18-02-2010, 01:26
Hello DSJR,

There is a huge following of the vintage JBL line here in the States, but I have yet to hear any for myself. My understanding (which may not be correct) is that they are used mostly by those who really enjoy rock and roll types of music. I tend more to music that is played acoustically as well as classical and jazz.

I have come across a pair of vintage 12" Tannoy monitor golds in a custom cabinet made of baltic birch and walnut veneers, heavily braced and lined with acoustic foam. The crossovers have all been redone with high quality parts and the compensation controls have been eliminated and hardwired in. They are about 5 cubic feet and have twin ports on the front face being tuned to about 40hz which would probably work perfect in the smallish room that I plan on using this secondary system in. They are located just over 5 hrs away by car, so I have not been able to hear them yet. Possibly this coming or next weekend I will be able to get away for a roadtrip and check them out.

Considering the history of the famous Tannoy's, they certainly have my interest piqued. But having never heard Tannoy's, I do not know yet if their sound will be to my liking. I've heard great things about them, so I am hopeful.

Don (No Regrets)

Ali Tait
18-02-2010, 11:27
Hi Ali,

I will admit that those were my thoughts initially as well. I have a great friend who is very knowledgeable with circuit topologies, and actually designs and builds power amps, preamps, and phono stages. He is very talented and has made some very engaging and wonderful sounding pieces. He said that based on the Bel Canto's design with the driver stage, etc. that it is actually very true what Bel Canto is stating. I will admit that most of the technical information goes way over my head, but what I care most about is how the piece sounds to my ears. The Bel Canto makes my big Dunlavy SCIV's come alive with astounding dynamics, both micro and macro...has wonderful truth of timbre and gets the harmonics of instruments right. The imaging is absolutely fantastic in the way that they make these over six foot tall speakers simply disapear.

The picture of the integrated Bel Canto that was posted by DSDL (thank you for sharing the picture) is very simalar to what mine looks like, but mine does not have the electronics on the face of it.

Thank you,
Don (No Regrets)

Hi Don,
That's a nice looking amp! I've had an 845 myself,just a Chinese Mr Liang,but extremly good for the money,and even better after I tweaked it a little.I then moved on to an 813 SE amp.A friend is currently building me a direct-coupled amp using GM70's,which judging by the breadboard prototype,will be very good indeed.In the past I've also had 300b PSE,300b PP,EL84 PP,and currently have on loan a 5881 PP,all of these latter amp Wortld Audio Design kit amps.

No Regrets
18-02-2010, 12:26
Thanks Ali,

I also own three various EL84 push/pull amps as well. I love what those little tubes can do. I've also spent time with both single ended and push/pull 300B's amps from Cary Audio and VAC. I haven't had the pleasure of experiencing the 813's or the GM70's. You'll have to give us a report on your new amp once it is completed. I for one will be excited to hear about it.

Take care,
Don (No Regrets)

Ali Tait
18-02-2010, 12:53
I certainly will.I love the EL84 valve,very musical.

DSJR
18-02-2010, 13:26
Hello DSJR,

Considering the history of the famous Tannoy's, they certain have my interest piqued. But having never heard Tannoy's, I do not know yet if their sound will be to my liking. I heard great things about them, so I am hopeful.

Don (No Regrets)

I think I've replied to this question elsewhere, but if you're prepared to travel and you like the sound, then buy them. The compensation controls had truly nasty switches and these are best avoided, or replaced with high current/low loss ones. Only you can judge the balance :)

No Regrets
18-02-2010, 18:55
Thanks Dave,

I see that you had also replied to my post on the Blank Canvas thread. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts with me.

Don (No Regrets)

No Regrets
01-06-2010, 04:12
Hello everyone,

I know it's been a long time in coming, but I finally got around to posting pictures of my main stereo system as well as my secondary Tannoy system in the gallery as you had requested so long ago.

I, unfortunately do not own a digital camera but just learned that I can take 35mm film in and have its photos put onto a cd and then go about posting on the internet. I guess it is true....you learn something every day.

Take care,
Don (No Regrets)