PDA

View Full Version : Just ordered the 1200G!

allthingsanalogue
30-10-2017, 17:12
Thought I'd start a new thread.

Just ordered the 1200G, I'm just going to run it with an At95 once I get it for a while.:lol:

Richer Sounds have it for £2999 but with a £500 discount.

https://www.richersounds.com/technics-sl1200g.html

It's in short supply absolutely everywhere so looking at a few weeks!

I want to keep it stock as buying it, it's as much about the looks as well for me.:stalks:

I've also done some research and it appears that they retained the magnesium tonearm for the 1200G!!!!!!!!!! See here http://www.technics.com/us/products/grand-class/direct-drive-turntable-system-sl-1200g.html#specs

http://www.technics.com/content/products/sl1200g/images/sl1200g-inspire-3.jpg

http://www.technics.com/content/products/sl1200g/images/sl1200g-mainvisual.jpg

http://www.technics.com/content/products/sl1200g/images/sl1200g-img10-uk.png

http://www.technics.com/content/products/sl1200g/images/sl1200g-img9.png

http://www.technics.com/content/products/sl1200g/images/sl1200g-img7.png

http://www.technics.com/content/products/sl1200g/images/sl1200g-img5.png

http://www.technics.com/content/products/sl1200g/images/sl1200g-img6.png

Bigman80
30-10-2017, 17:35
Beautiful looking TT. Im pleased for you. As a new member of the Technics club (SP10) I imagine you will be as delighted as me.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

allthingsanalogue
30-10-2017, 17:38
Beautiful looking TT. Im pleased for you. As a new member of the Technics club (SP10) I imagine you will be as delighted as me.

Thanks!

I wonder how long my Linn will last.

I may end up putting my Delos on the Technics! Or buy an At33PTG which for some reason I've always fancied.

allthingsanalogue
30-10-2017, 17:39
As it's got a detachable headshell, what cartridge is best for 45's, I read they play better with a heavier tracking weight?

Also I'll need a good all round universal 78 cartridge as well.

Bigman80
30-10-2017, 17:46
Thanks!

I wonder how long my Linn will last.

I may end up putting my Delos on the Technics! Or buy an At33PTG which for some reason I've always fancied.The AT 33ptg is a cracking cart. Got one here on loan. Fantastic for the money. Seriously good.

It'll be interesting to hear what you think when it arrives!

Wakefield Turntables
30-10-2017, 18:16
Welcome to club Technics. I had a LP12 and soon got rid after I bought the 1210 I've now owned for I think seven years.

CageyH
30-10-2017, 18:19
Nice!

I was tempted, but spent the funds elsewhere.

RobbieGong
30-10-2017, 18:25
Glad for you Andrew - congrats :thumbsup:

Marco
30-10-2017, 18:25
Enjoy Andrew, but save some dosh for a decent amp!! ;)

Marco.

RobbieGong
30-10-2017, 18:33

Marco.

Cheeky ! :)

allthingsanalogue
30-10-2017, 18:43

Marco.

Will do!

Ammonite Audio
30-10-2017, 18:47
I've also done some research and it appears that they retained the magnesium tonearm for the 1200G!!!!!!!!!! See here http://www.technics.com/us/products/grand-class/direct-drive-turntable-system-sl-1200g.html#specs

I stand corrected! The main difference between the GAE and the G is the top plate, which for the G is cast alloy, and none the worse for that.

allthingsanalogue
30-10-2017, 18:48
I stand corrected! The main difference between the GAE and the G is the top plate, which for the G is cast alloy, and none the worse for that.

The G also still has the cast machined top plate. The GR is cast and not machined.

In the end there was only 2 differences between the gae and g. The GAE has slightly different feet and also a badge on the deck!

https://i.imgur.com/v8gNRzp_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

https://i.imgur.com/YfWoHLA.png

Ammonite Audio
30-10-2017, 19:14
OK, I stand corrected, again. To be fair, early information in the media did suggest otherwise, and Paul Rigby reported this time last year, presumably in good faith, that the G would have an alloy armtube (see https://thevinylfactory.com/features/technics-sl-1200-interview-price/ ).

allthingsanalogue
30-10-2017, 20:24
OK, I stand corrected, again. To be fair, early information in the media did suggest otherwise, and Paul Rigby reported this time last year, presumably in good faith, that the G would have an alloy armtube (see https://thevinylfactory.com/features/technics-sl-1200-interview-price/ ).

No problem!

They obviously had a change of heart and decided to keep the magnesium arm on the G model.

Wakefield Turntables
30-10-2017, 20:32

Marco.

The AU919 is a very fine amp and still gives many amps today a run for the money. :)

Marco
31-10-2017, 09:19
What AU919? Andrew says he's currently using a (modded) £60 Cambridge A1. See here (post #27): http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?54642-Not-selling-my-LP12-but&p=912110#post912110

The bottom line is, he's got a £6.5k LP12 (and soon also a £2.5k Technics) going into a £60 amp... Therefore at the moment, his system is simply too 'front-end heavy', and really needs balancing out better in the middle, and realistically also at the end, although his speakers are probably still good enough to show the differences upstream.

If I was building a system, fronted by a £6.5k turntable, then in order to hear what it'd be capable of, I'd be looking to (wisely) spend around £2-3k on a phono stage, at least the same on an amp, and at least the same on speakers, to create a balanced system. Let's not forget that different rules apply, with the 'source first' principle, with turntables, compared with digital front-ends. And in that respect, 'reverse mullets' don't work.

As good as Andrew's little Cambridge is for the money, there's simply no way it's good enough to show his LP12 in its best light, and that'll also apply to the new Technics he's bought, which is why I said for him to save some money for a better amp. Quite simply, before he spends another penny elsewhere on his system, that's where his focus should be: finding an amp that he likes, which befits the rest of his system! ;)

Because, being brutally frank and honest (for Andrew's sake and long-term benefit), with no offence intended, his concentration at the moment seems to be on spending lots of money on stuff he likes the looks of, and on turntables or CD players, thinking that's what matters most, and that 'any half-decent amp' will do, when the reality is rather different...!

Anyway Andrew, I hope you don't take umbrage at this post. I'm just simply being constructive and trying to help :)

Marco.

Ammonite Audio
31-10-2017, 09:55
No problem!

They obviously had a change of heart and decided to keep the magnesium arm on the G model.

I wonder how the people who rushed out to buy the limited edition first run of the GAE feel about the mainstream G being all but identical? Apparently, you can even buy the GAE feet from Technics to fit the G, so then the only difference is a badge and a great deal of money.

allthingsanalogue
31-10-2017, 10:18
I wonder how the people who rushed out to buy the limited edition GAE feel about the mainstream G being all but identical? Apparently, you can even buy the GAE feet from Technics to fit the G, so then the only difference is a badge and a great deal of money.

Thanks for letting me know, better get some feet!

allthingsanalogue
31-10-2017, 10:19
Ive ordered the Yamaha AS-3000 as well!

cre009
31-10-2017, 10:22
Marco - in the other thread Andrew has already mentioned "I bought a Arcam A49, didn't like it, bought a second hand Musical Fidelity A308 pre power, didn't like it. Naim Nait 5i, Nait XS, didn't like them either", Clearly the Cambridge is providing him with something he prefers but why the issue with the others? I have no experience with them to comment.

Marco
31-10-2017, 10:52
Marco - in the other thread Andrew has already mentioned "I bought a Arcam A49, didn't like it, bought a second hand Musical Fidelity A308 pre power, didn't like it. Naim Nait 5i, Nait XS, didn't like them either", Clearly the Cambridge is providing him with something he prefers but why the issue with the others? I have no experience with them to comment.

Hi Clive,

I have no issue whatsoever with Andrew's amplifier findings to date (after all it's his opinion on such that matters), simply that IMO, the Cambridge isn't up to doing what's required in his system, a fact which Andrew has now addressed in his purchase of the Yamaha :)

The Yamaha looks fantastic, Andrew. Let's hope that it also hits the spot for you, sonically and musically! :cool:

Marco.

Wakefield Turntables
31-10-2017, 11:07
What AU919? Andrew says he's currently using a (modded) £60 Cambridge A1. See here (post #27): http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?54642-Not-selling-my-LP12-but&p=912110#post912110

The bottom line is, he's got a £6.5k LP12 (and soon also a £2.5k Technics) going into a £60 amp... Therefore at the moment, his system is simply too 'front-end heavy', and really needs balancing out better in the middle, and realistically also at the end, although his speakers are probably still good enough to show the differences upstream.

If I was building a system, fronted by a £6.5k turntable, then in order to hear what it'd be capable of, I'd be looking to (wisely) spend around £2-3k on a phono stage, at least the same on an amp, and at least the same on speakers, to create a balanced system. Let's not forget that different rules apply, with the 'source first' principle, with turntables, compared with digital front-ends. And in that respect, 'reverse mullets' don't work.

As good as Andrew's little Cambridge is for the money, there's simply no way it's good enough to show his LP12 in its best light, and that'll also apply to the new Technics he's bought, which is why I said for him to save some money for a better amp. Quite simply, before he spends another penny elsewhere on his system, that's where his focus should be: finding an amp that he likes, which befits the rest of his system! ;)

Because, being brutally frank and honest (for Andrew's sake and long-term benefit), with no offence intended, his concentration at the moment seems to be on spending lots of money on stuff he likes the looks of, and on turntables or CD players, thinking that's what matters most, and that 'any half-decent amp' will do, when the reality is rather different...!

Anyway Andrew, I hope you don't take umbrage at this post. I'm just simply being constructive and trying to help :)

Marco.

my mistake!

allthingsanalogue
31-10-2017, 11:32
Hi Clive,

I have no issue whatsoever with Andrew's amplifier findings to date (after all it's his opinion on such that matters), simply that IMO, the Cambridge isn't up to doing what's required in his system, a fact which Andrew has now addressed in his purchase of the Yamaha :)

The Yamaha looks fantastic, Andrew. Let's hope that it also hits the spot for you, sonically and musically! :cool:

Marco.

Thanks Marco

The amp should arrive in a few days but the turntable could be a few weeks.

Marco
31-10-2017, 11:41
No worries, hope it all works out for you :)

Marco.

allthingsanalogue
31-10-2017, 11:44
I must point out that I've been after this amp for over a year!

The other amps i had were either second hand or much cheaper, i only paid £2499 for the Arcam so the Yamaha was always, until now out of my reach as I was concentrating on gettng my front end sorted out.

Bigman80
31-10-2017, 12:05
Don't worry Andrew, I am sure you will be rewarded with excellent sound!

Do let us know (and See) how the Techy sounds!

allthingsanalogue
31-10-2017, 12:11
Don't worry Andrew, I am sure you will be rewarded with excellent sound!

Do let us know (and See) how the Techy sounds!

Yes, will do! :eyebrows:

allthingsanalogue
31-10-2017, 12:13
Now just need to find a good allround 78 cartridge, most of my 78's are from the 40's onwards.

Ammonite Audio
31-10-2017, 12:41
Now just need to find a good allround 78 cartridge, most of my 78's are from the 40's onwards.

Choice in that area is increasing all the time. Audio Technica do one for only £145, for example. For real 78 wisdom speak to Tom (Montesquieu here on AoS) since he listens to 78s a lot and even has a special switchable equalisation box that presents 78s in a really rather wonderful way.

allthingsanalogue
01-11-2017, 00:40
Choice in that area is increasing all the time. Audio Technica do one for only £145, for example. For real 78 wisdom speak to Tom (Montesquieu here on AoS) since he listens to 78s a lot and even has a special switchable equalisation box that presents 78s in a really rather wonderful way.

Thanks, the AT one looks very nice with a good VTF also, recommended 5 grams. Should be ideal.

allthingsanalogue
01-11-2017, 18:12
Update

The SL should be with me in a couple of weeks:lol:

Macca
01-11-2017, 18:20
I wonder if the wait is due to demand outstripping supply or a deliberate tactic?

They do look really good I must say but I am a fan of the looks and the sound of the old one. I know some hate both.

If I'd ordered one the wait would be killing me.

allthingsanalogue
01-11-2017, 19:07
I wonder if the wait is due to demand outstripping supply or a deliberate tactic?

They do look really good I must say but I am a fan of the looks and the sound of the old one. I know some hate both.

If I'd ordered one the wait would be killing me.

Two weeks is good. Some places quoted me 2 - 3 months!

Macca
01-11-2017, 19:14
Two weeks is good. Some places quoted me 2 - 3 months!

:eek:

maybe they are just making them to order. Or just massively under-estimated demand. That would not surprise me. They stopped making the old one just as the vinyl revival was really gathering steam. I bet they have accountants running the company. No feel for the market.

montesquieu
01-11-2017, 19:57

I would concur on the AT MONO3/SP it's a really nice cartridge for later 78s and is probably all you need. (Or you can splash for one of the Ortofon 'SPU' reissues if you like).

If you have 78s from a bigger spread of dates, reasonable alternative would be something like a Shure M44 or SC36c, with a 78 stylus assembly from Expert Stylus .. though price-wise the options are much of a muchness with the AT unless you happen to have an M44 body kicking around.

I am getting pretty good results at the moment with a mono strapped M44 + a variety of stylus assemblies with tips of assorted sizes (historically the earlier the 78, the wider the groove). I previously had a very special Miyajima Premium 78 but had that tip replaced with a hybrid aluminium/bamboo cantilever and a 1.0 mil stylus for use with early microgroove LPs.

It's dead easy to strap a stereo cartridge for mono .. a figure of 8 loop of copper wire joining the L+/R+ and L-/R- terminals does the job and saves having to remember to push the mono button on the preamp. Strictly speaking a proper mono cartridge, single coil operating only in the horizontal plane, will give better results, but on 78s you'd struggle to hear this. Different story with LPs where a decent mono cartridge makes a massive difference to what you can get out of mono records.

allthingsanalogue
01-11-2017, 21:58
I would concur on the AT MONO3/SP it's a really nice cartridge for later 78s and is probably all you need. (Or you can splash for one of the Ortofon 'SPU' reissues if you like).

If you have 78s from a bigger spread of dates, reasonable alternative would be something like a Shure M44 or SC36c, with a 78 stylus assembly from Expert Stylus .. though price-wise the options are much of a muchness with the AT unless you happen to have an M44 body kicking around.

I am getting pretty good results at the moment with a mono strapped M44 + a variety of stylus assemblies with tips of assorted sizes (historically the earlier the 78, the wider the groove). I previously had a very special Miyajima Premium 78 but had that tip replaced with a hybrid aluminium/bamboo cantilever and a 1.0 mil stylus for use with early microgroove LPs.

It's dead easy to strap a stereo cartridge for mono .. a figure of 8 loop of copper wire joining the L+/R+ and L-/R- terminals does the job and saves having to remember to push the mono button on the preamp. Strictly speaking a proper mono cartridge, single coil operating only in the horizontal plane, will give better results, but on 78s you'd struggle to hear this. Different story with LPs where a decent mono cartridge makes a massive difference to what you can get out of mono records.

Thank you.

I see AT make two carts, an MM and the high output moving coil. Will this still be olay with a mm stage or would it be best for a special 78 moving coil stage?

montesquieu
01-11-2017, 22:16
Thank you.

I see AT make two carts, an MM and the high output moving coil. Will this still be olay with a mm stage or would it be best for a special 78 moving coil stage?

The mono3/sp is a high output MC that works fine into MM for 78s. (There is also the mono3/LP, and the higher spec AT33MONO - both intended for later LP mono and reissues with a standard/stereo width groove size - I had my mono3/LP retipped with a 1mil conical for playing early microgroove mono LPs).

There is as you point out, also a new AT mono MM, the VM610MONO, which I take from the specs to be a normal cartridge strapped internally for mono (the mono3/sp and mono3/LP as I understand it are true mono outputting only from movement in the horizontal plane). I don't know if the VM610MONO can be got with a wider 78 tip (the spec suggests it's also intended for late mono LPs and re-issues - the tip is a very narrow 0.6mil conical), but the mono3/SP has the wider tip for 78 as standard.

All of these will be fine into a MM stage.

allthingsanalogue
02-11-2017, 04:40
I've always wanted to try one so here goes, just ordered one for the Techie.

http://www.analogueseduction.net/user/products/large/atech8_01.jpg

CageyH
02-11-2017, 07:35
I currently have one installed on my old skool Techie.

Ammonite Audio
02-11-2017, 08:16

http://www.analogueseduction.net/user/products/large/atech8_01.jpg

A good choice.

allthingsanalogue
02-11-2017, 09:28
I currently have one installed on my old skool Techie.

:D

Can't wait to try it, wonder what is it's like against my Delos. I hear it's extremely good at tracking.

Bigman80
02-11-2017, 09:53

http://www.analogueseduction.net/user/products/large/atech8_01.jpgI've had one running on my SP10 for a week or so and IMO it's a magnificent bargain.

Midlandaudiox
02-11-2017, 10:05
In Stock here!!!

allthingsanalogue
02-11-2017, 10:09
I've had one running on my SP10 for a week or so and IMO it's a magnificent bargain.

Which way do the bolts go? Nut at top of headshell or bottom of cart?

Ammonite Audio
02-11-2017, 10:17
Nuts at the top. It’s only a minor nuisance with a removable headshell.

allthingsanalogue
02-11-2017, 11:26
Nuts at the top. It’s only a minor nuisance with a removable headshell.

Thanks. I always thought it looked better that way!

allthingsanalogue
02-11-2017, 16:36
Meant to add, ordered all the kit from HIFI Corner in Edinburgh!

allthingsanalogue
08-11-2017, 18:49
It's coming tomorrow!

RobbieGong
08-11-2017, 18:58
It's coming tomorrow!

Get in there my son !! :lol: :thumbsup: :D

allthingsanalogue
10-11-2017, 00:59
Someones got a new toy! It's gorgeous, 18kg of lovliness!

https://youtu.be/1rkap9SZDW4

Jimbo
10-11-2017, 06:32
Congratulations Andrew,exciting times! Looks magnificent.

alphaGT
10-11-2017, 06:53
Very fine looking ‘table! Enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

allthingsanalogue
10-11-2017, 07:45
Getting there

https://i.imgur.com/vSQOxMp.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/iW6jsQa.jpg

Marco
10-11-2017, 07:54
Nice one... Now pop a cartridge on it and get it listened to! We all want to know how it compares with your Linn ;)

Marco.

allthingsanalogue
10-11-2017, 08:06
Nice one... Now pop a cartridge on it and get it listened to! We all want to know how it compares with your Linn ;)

Marco.

Would love to but my Yamaha amp arrived but it's buggered, getting hotter than a radiator and all the screw heads are knackered. Yamaha sent me a refurb rather than a new unit!!!!!!!! The top of the amp was 48oC after and hour. Heatsinks were 65oC

Turns out that Yamaha UK have no stock so it now wont be here until about the 22nd November.

I'll post a coupe of photos but one of the screws was hanging out.

Not what you expect after spending £4000, although it is the best sounding amp I've ever heard.

allthingsanalogue
10-11-2017, 08:25
Photos of amp. very annoying.

Not new.

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/23435006_1563181900395300_139788134267660456_n.jpg ?oh=a80da4954674be4665dad28ab0b97948&oe=5A620312

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/23472118_1563065177073639_2532068559196650424_n.jp g?oh=4c45c5de95a29ad6265d966bd9234eae&oe=5A68EBAB

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/23244355_1563065183740305_1343849434745246799_n.jp g?oh=4c86fbf87dd1f306e17386248dbe57f3&oe=5A9CD8B9

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/23244440_1563065203740303_8755140782943729965_n.jp g?oh=f56b8ef425a8f3183130a73e44405409&oe=5A9D3DAF

allthingsanalogue
10-11-2017, 08:31

Marco.

Will be fitting this but still waiting on my Jelco headshell!

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/23316664_1562720880441402_3370521042018955032_n.jp g?oh=e04a6ceb8a1c22d30394fdbe7ac11e65&oe=5AAC637C

Primalsea
10-11-2017, 08:39
I’ve always like the Technics 1200 series TTs, but have never been able to move away from my Garrard. The 1200G is stunning. What do you think of the stock tonearm? I’ve often wondered if it actually not a bad arm but just needs a bit of fine tuning like setting the bearings and even a thin sliver of foam pushed down the arm can do wonders for a tonearm.

Marco
10-11-2017, 08:44
Will be fitting this but still waiting on my Jelco headshell!

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/23316664_1562720880441402_3370521042018955032_n.jp g?oh=e04a6ceb8a1c22d30394fdbe7ac11e65&oe=5AAC637C

No worries, but what's wrong with the supplied Technics headshell. It'll be perfectly good for that cartridge, as it doesn't need any added mass. What made you go for a Jelco headshell, which TBH, isn't really much of an upgrade?

There are much better options around, Andrew, if you truly want to upgrade your headshell. Sorry to hear about your amp. That's pretty disgraceful from Yamaha, when you're spending that kind of money! :rolleyes:

Marco.

walpurgis
10-11-2017, 08:47
No worries, but what's wrong with the supplied Technics headshell

Marco.

Yes. I would have had a cartridge on that like a shot!

Bigman80
10-11-2017, 08:48
That does look rather stunning. Congratulations. Shame about the amp but I have a feeling it'll be worth the wait. [emoji6]

allthingsanalogue
10-11-2017, 08:55
No worries, but what's wrong with the supplied Technics headshell. It'll be perfectly good for that cartridge, as it doesn't need any added mass. What made you go for a Jelco headshell, which TBH, isn't really much of an upgrade?

There are much better options around, Andrew, if you truly want to upgrade your headshell. Sorry to hear about your amp. That's pretty disgraceful from Yamaha, when you're spending that kind of money! :rolleyes:

Marco.

It's only because the Jelco was a bit thicker so would help with the VTA as the AT cart is only 16mm in height.

Now i find of course that the arm height goes down further than '0', sort of minus so it may not be an issue anyway.

Would be happy to hear of your suggestions on a headshell of course! I also need some extra headshells for my 78's and 7” singles so they will all come in handy anyway.

allthingsanalogue
10-11-2017, 09:01
FIttimg thevscrews for the extremely heavy platter, 3.5Kg

https://i.imgur.com/0au64VG.jpg

Marco
10-11-2017, 09:56
Would be happy to hear of your suggestions on a headshell of course! I also need some extra headshells for my 78's and 7” singles so they will all come in handy anyway.

Well, for a man of your calibre, I'd be nabbing this for starters, as they rarely come up for sale in the UK. It both sounds fab and has a multitude of different adjustments to tweak the response of cartridges: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USED-Orsonic-AV-1S-Headshell-SME-FIT-/352189488938?hash=item5200211f2a:g:qW0AAOSwQkZZwTy E

It's the 'king of headshells'. I'd use that with your AT and keep the Jelco for whatever cartridge gets used for your 78s.

For 7" singles, have you thought about what cartridge to use? I'd go MM, and preferably something NOS vintage, such as a Shure M55, or SC35C (you can buy new for peanuts), which will really make your 7 (and 12") singles sing!

Once I know how you're going to go there, I'll recommend a headshell to compliment it :)

Marco.

allthingsanalogue
10-11-2017, 09:56
MORE WOES!!!!

The platter as it revolves is making a brushing noise, like a dry paintbrush on paper noise with every rotation

Spoke to Technics support, apparently it shouldn't do that. They said ask for a new one.

Interetingly, the pitch fader lnob was loose in the bag so somehow came off in transit.

Marco
10-11-2017, 10:03
Take the platter off [it's a pressure fit and will just pop off] and make sure that it's seated properly onto the bearing, and clear of any obstacles. It's obviously catching on something as it's spinning. Shouldn't be anything serious.

Marco.

allthingsanalogue
10-11-2017, 10:06
Take the platter off [it's a pressure fit and will just pop off] and make sure that it's seated properly onto the bearing, and clear of any obstacles. It's obviously catching on something as it's spinning. Shouldn't be anything serious.

Marco.

It seems to coming from the motor itself, i wonder if it might bed in?

Marco
10-11-2017, 10:09
I doubt that, but it's possible. However, I'd pop the platter off first and make sure it's not fouling on anything, as it's spinning, just to eliminate that possibility.

Also, is it doing the same thing with the stock mat? Try that, too.

Marco.

walpurgis
10-11-2017, 10:11
Make sure you didn't let a piece of packing get under the platter. A bit of tape or paper?

allthingsanalogue
10-11-2017, 10:14
It's doesnt seem to fouling anything at all. The store has said they will order me another one.

It's not scratchy or metallic sound , just a very quiet wooshing noise?

Yomanze
10-11-2017, 11:26
MORE WOES!!!!

The platter as it revolves is making a brushing noise, like a dry paintbrush on paper noise with every rotation

Spoke to Technics support, appatentky it shouldn't do that. They said ask for a new one.

Interetingly, the pitch fader lnob was loose in the bag so somehow came off in transit.

Hmm maybe it took an awkward drop on the way.

hermit
10-11-2017, 11:44
Would love to but my Yamaha amp arrived but it's buggered,

MORE WOES!!!!

The path to audio nirvana is never easy but you've been more than a little unfortunate. It's tough to take but you'll get there in the end and all this hassle will be a distant memory.

allthingsanalogue
Hmm maybe it took an awkward drop on the way.

When i opened it, the pitch fader knob was missing, upon further investigation it wad underneath the deck in the bag.

Just to mention, it was with beyond doubt brand new as everything was perfect, even with only one piece of packing tape on both sides of the box.

allthingsanalogue
The path to audio nirvana is never easy but you've been more than a little unfortunate. It's tough to take but you'll get there in the end and all this hassle will be a distant memory.

:)

allthingsanalogue
10-11-2017, 11:48
I'm sure that brushing noise would get picked up by the cartridge.

I once had an issue with my LINN in that the belt was slighlty rubbing against the belt guide and you could actaully hear it through the speakers.

Luckily Steve at Technics told me to get a new one!!

allthingsanalogue
10-11-2017, 14:55
Amplifier lid temp.

23.4mv at speaker outputs, seems high

https://i.imgur.com/ZgC9t7g.jpg

Macca
10-11-2017, 16:16
Who did you buy the amp from, Andrew? Was it a dealer, Yamaha directly or what?

I can't see that there is any excuse for sending out a supposedly brand-new product in that state. And there is no way the top plate should be reaching 47 C

allthingsanalogue
10-11-2017, 16:30
Who did you buy the amp from, Andrew? Was it a dealer, Yamaha directly or what?

I can't see that there is any excuse for sending out a supposedly brand-new product in that state. And there is no way the top plate should be reaching 47 C

Heatsinks are 68 degrees celsius

Even the front panel is about 42 degrees!

https://i.imgur.com/xtxXn0T.jpg

It still sounds fantastic though so it's still very encouraging.

I'm awaiting the new one, Yamaha have no stock so it's coming directly from Malayasia so about 2 weeks away but it will be brand spanking new!

New tt here on wednesday, hopefully brushing noise not included! it must have taken quite a knock to pop of the pitch fader knob as it is stiff to push back on even!

The amp is beautiful though

https://i.imgur.com/EKetuAi.jpg

Macca
10-11-2017, 16:39
Heatsinks are 68 degrees celsius

https://i.imgur.com/xtxXn0T.jpg

It still sounds fantastic though so it's still very encouraging.

It was a proper dealer and they are actually a Naim Statement dealer but would rather not say whilst the situation is ongoing.

I'm awaiting the new one, Yamaha have no stock so it's coming directky from Malayasia so about 2 weeks away but it will be brand spanking new!

New tt here on wednesday, hipefully brushing noise not included! it must have taken quite a knock to pop of the pitch fader knob as it is stiff to push back on even!

So someone at the dealers has re-boxed it and shipped it out to you as new, presumably hoping that you would not notice, or not care. Now you have to wait 2 weeks for a replacement. I'd want £500 off as a minimum or I would be naiming and shaiming (ho-ho). In fact I'd start at demanding a grand off and then bargain down.

At least the Technics is 100%. Looks fabulous too.

allthingsanalogue
10-11-2017, 16:48
No, the Technics is faulty. I spoke to Technics Uk as the motor is making a brushing sound as it rotates, like a dry brush on paper. They told me to get it replaced as it's faulty.

New one here on Wedneday. That was brand new though, you could just tell. The box only had one piece of tape on each end and it was packed professonally, i think it must have been dropped.

The amp was sent from Yamaha to the dealers on the 3rd November by the shipping label and the label was stuck over the packing , also dated only a day after I'd ordered it so it must have been Yamahas fault.

Macca
10-11-2017, 16:52
I thought it was just the aftermarket mat that was the problem?

Oh well, these things are sent to try us. But you do want to get a hefty discount off the dealer for taking the piss with that Yamaha. Don't worry, they can afford it. Even if you don't need the money it might teach them a lesson.

allthingsanalogue
10-11-2017, 16:55
I thought it was just the aftermarket mat that was the problem?

Oh well, these things are sent to try us. But you do want to get a hefty discount off the dealer for taking the piss with that Yamaha. Don't worry, they can afford it. Even if you don't need the money it might teach them a lesson.

Yeah, the motor on my SL1200G is noisy, I spoke to a friend on pinkfish who has one and his is totally silent.

It makes the noise even without the mat. Even if you spin it by hand with no power applied.

allthingsanalogue
10-11-2017, 22:07
Update, new deck here Wednesday!

I wonder what could make a noise from this motor? Could a coil have come loose or there mist be a foreign body stuck in there, I mean there can only be a few reasons for a brushing noise with every rotation?

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/imagehosting/755309556912ca6c777c.jpg

https://images.cdn.whathifi.com/sites/whathifi.com/files/styles/flexslider_desktop/public/brands/news/CES2016/technics_sl1200g2.jpg?itok=ZsDxcEnU&timestamp=1505050441

http://www.thepippin.plus.com/Fakedeck/Dual_701_Direct_Drive_Motor_Stator.jpg

allthingsanalogue
11-11-2017, 23:47
Some progress, need to recheck alignment but getting there. I want to hear the thing, have to wait until Wednesday.

https://i.imgur.com/msiNwnV.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/wSDx7fp.jpg

Dubster68
15-11-2017, 18:41
Looking good

I fancy one of these turntables but must save my money for other things first:doh:. Will be interesting following the posts how these turn out long term though:D.

allthingsanalogue
15-11-2017, 19:29
Now we're cookin!

Still needed the 2.7mm spacer though.

I've bought a Tiger Paw Vulcan wallshelf for the Linn so will be putting this on Pro-ject wall shelf at the weekend.

Will do a proper listening at the weekend but sounding good so far.

https://youtu.be/cVJJb2x0sl8

Macca
15-11-2017, 21:21
You've got polar opposites there with the Technics and the Linn. Although I notice you have tricked the Linn up a bit. Polar opposite in looks too. I prefer the industrial look of the Technics to the wooden plinthed decks myself.

The only thing that puts me off the look of the new one is the blue LEDS. Hi Fi LEDs, or hi-fi lights in general can be red, green, yellow or orange but never blue. I don't know who started the blue thing but they best hope I don't find out.

I mean that strobe would be so much better in orange. Maybe it is just me.

Anyway look forward to your thoughts on the sound, Andrew.

Bigman80
15-11-2017, 21:54
Looks really nice.

RobbieGong
15-11-2017, 21:56
You've got polar opposites there with the Technics and the Linn. Although I notice you have tricked the Linn up a bit. Polar opposite in looks too. I prefer the industrial look of the Technics to the wooden plinthed decks myself.

The only thing that puts me off the look of the new one is the blue LEDS. Hi Fi LEDs, or hi-fi lights in general can be red, green, yellow or orange but never blue. I don't know who started the blue thing but they best hope I don't find out.

Really ? no probs with the blue at all, find it pretty inoffensive / discrete. Orange though in my view can be a bit yuck :) but hey ho, we all like different things I guess

allthingsanalogue
15-11-2017, 21:56

Thanks Martin.

I've now tried the Technics headshell and Marco was right, it sounds better imho! Obvoiusly designed for the arm, faster sounding, the Jelco slunds slower.

I've got a 2.7mm spacer allowing me to get perfect VTA.

This deck is very clean sounding, much more refined sounding than the stock 1210 I had. When I moved it onto my wall shelf just now I thought it was stuck to my coffee table, it's so heavy! Obviously there's a lot of running in to do, especially the cartridge but it's sounding great so far.

https://i.imgur.com/RMuEAMW.jpg

This cartridge is quite special considering it's less than half the price of the Delos!

https://i.imgur.com/IvUbRqj.jpg

allthingsanalogue
15-11-2017, 21:59
Really ? no probs with the blue at all, find it pretty inoffensive. Orange though in my view can be a bit yuck :) but hey ho, we all like different things I guess

They aren't as bright in real, quite a soft blue, they certainly don't have a glare to them, quite diffused. Blue LED'S are always hard to photograph I think.

allthingsanalogue
15-11-2017, 22:08
https://youtu.be/cVJJb2x0sl8

https://i.imgur.com/7jsvSJZ.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/IjtFetB.jpg

Ammonite Audio
16-11-2017, 06:50
That mirrors my own thoughts on the Jelco headshells - not insanely priced, beautifully made and usefully adjustable for azimuth, but just not great sound, whether on a Jelco arm or another. That's why I always liked the Oyaide headshells which lack adjustment, but otherwise sound much nicer and more 'musical'. It's a shame that Oyaide are so expensive and that's the only reason why I don't stock them any more, but I'll always keep a couple of well used examples to hand for my own use.

.......... I've now tried the Technics headshell and Marco was right, it sounds better imho! Obvoiusly designed for the arm, faster sounding, the Jelco slunds slower.

Marco
17-11-2017, 02:28
Hi Andrew,

Glad you've got things up and running now - looks great!

I've now tried the Technics headshell and Marco was right, it sounds better imho! Obvoiusly designed for the arm, faster sounding, the Jelco slunds slower.

Lol... I usually am when it comes to things Technics T/T-related! ;) Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt....

It's probably not so much that the headshell has been designed for the arm (although that will have some bearing on matters), but rather that it's a better match for your AT cartridge than the Jelco was, simply because it's lighter (has less mass). There's probably about 2g in it. Your AT-33PTG doesn't need augmenting with added mass - and that's why it'll sound musically 'freer' and nimbler on a lighter headshell, as too much mass bloats the sound.

We're not dealing with a Denon DL-103 here!

This deck is very clean sounding, much more refined sounding than the stock 1210 I had. When I moved it onto my wall shelf just now I thought it was stuck to my coffee table, it's so heavy! Obviously there's a lot of running in to do, especially the cartridge but it's sounding great so far.

Nice one. Are you still using the stock rubber mat, or if not, what? If you're still using the rubber mat, then you've got MUCH more to come yet from a mat upgrade. An Achromat, as I've mentioned, would be a simple and cost-effective solution.

Something else to bear in mind is changing the stock feet. I know you don't want to mod the T/T, but the likes of Isonoes are retrofittable with the stock feet (both simply screw on and off of the base of the T/T), so you'll not be making any irreversible alterations, and trust me, the stock items do not do the turntable justice, sonically. Technics will simply have kept them to retain visual originality with previous SL-1200s.

Isonoe feet will provide improved isolation, thus allowing the T/T to 'breathe' better, and sound "faster" and more tuneful as a result, just like you heard with the headshell change. It's a no-brainer, honestly! And of course the stock ones can easily be replaced if necessary. If you do it, I promise that you'll thank me for it. Plus, they look great! :)

See here: http://www.analogueseduction.net/isonoe-audio-isolation-system/isonoe-audio-isolation-system-with-m6-thread-set-of-4.html

Marco.

allthingsanalogue
17-11-2017, 08:05
Still using the stock mat. The difference in weight is 4g between the two headshells.

The feet are totally different than the previous ones and seem to be much better.

This deck actually makes exactly the same noise as the other one, i mean I am being fanatical about it with my ear almost touching the spindle. I wonder if it's just air movement between the motor parts or just a magnetc noise? Obviously this motor is totally different to the original motor. Any more than an inch or so away and you cant hear it, it's more like a wind noise, As it's exactly the same as the other one I wonder if they all do it. It doesn't sound like bearing noise, nothing mettalic or screeching etc.

I cant hear it though the stylus on a runout groove, even the ipad microphone almost touchng the spindle can't pick it up.

What I would say is this that deck sounds better than my last 1210mk5g with the oyaide platter, RB700 arm, MN Bearing and oyaide platter and weight!!!!

So yes it is good.

Marco
17-11-2017, 08:24
Still using the stock mat. The difference in weight is 4g between the two headshells.

The feet are totally different than the previous ones and seem to be much better.

Ah, so the Technics shell is lighter than I thought. No wonder you heard a difference! What are the feet made of and how are they constructed (from memory, the old ones were simply thickly moulded plastic) - can you see any extra attention to detail from before, in terms of them improving isolation? A close-up pic would help :)

The key with the Isonoes is that they provide the T/T with a type of suspension (check out their design), and that helps significantly in terms of isolation and addressing the ingress of vibration, the effects of which you can clearly hear, and the subsequent improvement gained isn't subtle.

You really must try an Achromat. I'm actually rather shocked that Technics are still supplying a rubber mat with a turntable they've improved so heavily in other areas. How many currently produced high-end T/Ts do you know that come supplied with rubber mats? And yes, there's a reason for that... ;)

We've learned quite a lot in that area since the 70s!

This deck actually makes exactly the same noise as the other one, i mean I am being fanatical about it with my ear almost touching the spindle. I wonder if it's just air movement between the motor parts or just a magnetc noise? Obviously this motor is totally different to the original motor. Any more than an inch or so away and you cant hear it, it's more like a wind noise, As it's exactly the same as the other one I wonder if they all do it. It doesn't sound like bearing noise, nothing mettalic or screeching etc.

I cant hear it though the stylus on a runout groove.

So that's the second one that's like that? Very weird... And yet your mate claims that his is silent? If that's true, then clearly you've been sent duffers - either that or he's deaf! You need to go round to his place for a listen, or get him to being his T/T to yours, and find out what's going on.

What I would say is this that deck sounds better than my last 1210mk5g with the oyaide platter, RB700 arm, MN Bearing and oyaide platter and weight!!!!

Well, that's good, but you need to address the noise issue ASAP.

Marco.

allthingsanalogue
17-11-2017, 08:51
I've asked Technics to confirm.

Marco
17-11-2017, 08:56
That's fair enough, but for your own piece of mind you need to confirm it for yourself. How far away does your mate live, who's got the same turntable?

Marco.

allthingsanalogue
17-11-2017, 09:13
That's fair enough, but for your own piece of mind you need to confirm it for yourself. How far away does your mate live, who's got the same turntable?

Marco.

No idea, he's on pinkfish. Im going to ask him again.

Marco
17-11-2017, 09:24
Oh he's just someone on a forum, not someone you actually know. That's different. If he's not too far away, so if he's up for a visit.

Marco.

allthingsanalogue
17-11-2017, 09:31
The thing is some people don't necessarily notice these things so it could be normal. I know the Linn Radikal motor makes a noise, so anythings possible. Obviously this is a totally different motor so who knows.

On a funnier note, I ordered a Tiger Paw Vulcan wall shelf for my LP12 and Roger included a trade price list with all his products in the box by mistake. Might be handy ammunition for getting a discount on a Tranquility later on!

:oops:

I've asked the chap on pf to double check. He's goimg to tonight have a listen exactky how i've ssked him to by putting his ear almost on the spindle.

Yomanze
17-11-2017, 10:11
That mirrors my own thoughts on the Jelco headshells - not insanely priced, beautifully made and usefully adjustable for azimuth, but just not great sound, whether on a Jelco arm or another. That's why I always liked the Oyaide headshells which lack adjustment, but otherwise sound much nicer and more 'musical'. It's a shame that Oyaide are so expensive and that's the only reason why I don't stock them any more, but I'll always keep a couple of well used examples to hand for my own use.

Try something like the Denon PCL-5. :)

Bigman80
17-11-2017, 10:15
Try something like the Denon PCL-5. :)Not wishing to dampen proceedings but I've stuck my ear near enough on to the spindle of my SP10 and I can't hear anything. It will be interesting to see what happens when Technics respond. Looks fantastic BTW.

allthingsanalogue
17-11-2017, 10:50
Not wishing to dampen proceedings but I've stuck my ear near enough on to the spindle of my SP10 and I can't hear anything. It will be interesting to see what happens when Technics respond. Looks fantastic BTW.

Now on phone with technics!

Bigman80
17-11-2017, 10:52
Now on phone with technics!Don't settle if it's not right, push them due to it being your second.

allthingsanalogue
17-11-2017, 11:04
Don't settle if it's not right, push them due to it being your second.

The technical dept. are going to email me back!

Bigman80
17-11-2017, 11:05
The technical dept. are going to email me back!Wow. That's either promising or concerning.

Personally, I wouldn't expect any noise at all from the Techy. Especially at that price!

allthingsanalogue
17-11-2017, 12:02
Wow. That's either promising or concerning.

Personally, I wouldn't expect any noise at all from the Techy. Especially at that price!

I've just sent them an audio clip. I think this one will have to go back also. I don't understand what could make noise with a brushless induction motor?

Bigman80
17-11-2017, 12:03
I've just sent them an audio clip. I think this one will have to go back also. I don't understand what could make noise with a brushless induction motor?Friction somewhere. Can't be right.

allthingsanalogue
17-11-2017, 12:36
Friction somewhere. Can't be right.

I've just emailed the shop and asked for a refund.

Worse at 45 and even worse at 78. I put a sticky label on the platter and noticed it makes the noise at the same point every revolution.

Bigman80
17-11-2017, 13:10

Worse at 45 and even worse at 78. I put a sticky label on the platter and noticed it makes the noise at the same point every revolution.It's definitely not right. I'm no expert but I wouldn't be accepting a noise on the motor.

allthingsanalogue
17-11-2017, 13:16
It's definitely not right. I'm no expert but I wouldn't be accepting a noise on the motor.

:exactly:

Bigman80
17-11-2017, 13:17
:exactly:Let's hope it's Third time lucky. Personally, I'd be complaining bitterly about it and trying to wrangle some free goodies. But I'm cheeky like that!!

RobbieGong
17-11-2017, 13:22
You know you're properly on the hifi journey when you've had pain, been there done that, it really is a part of it in my experience.

Thing is you just have to keep your head because when it does come together you'll know it's been worth it :thumbsup:

Bigman80
17-11-2017, 13:24
You know you're properly on the hifi journey when you've had pain, been there done that, it really is a part of it in my experience.

Thing is you just have to keep your head because when it does come together you'll know it's been worth it [emoji106]Too true. I've now ordered the wrong valves for my Monoblocks 3 times!!!!!! It's all about getting it right. Ps this was my own fault lol.

Marco
17-11-2017, 14:56

Worse at 45 and even worse at 78. I put a sticky label on the platter and noticed it makes the noise at the same point every revolution.

Shocking state of affairs this, Andrew, and I hope you get it sorted to your satisfaction, ASAP...

Technics produced 100s of THOUSANDS of the old SL-1200, for over 40 years, when it used sell for £300, and every one could be relied upon to function faultlessly out the box. Now it sells for £3000, as a 'high-end turntable', and two you've had in quick succession are duds!!! :doh::rolleyes::rolleyes:

That's utterly pathetic and disgraceful, and says rather a lot a about Technics (National Panasonic) these days, and how standards have slipped. I'm afraid that after your shocking experience I wouldn't touch any of their new turntables with a bargepole!!!!

Marco.

Bigman80
17-11-2017, 15:05
Shocking state of affairs this, Andrew, and I hope you get it sorted to your satisfaction, ASAP...

Technics produced 100s of THOUSANDS of the old SL-1200, for over 40 years, when it used sell for £300, and every one could be relied upon to function faultlessly out the box. Now it sells for £3000, as a 'high-end turntable', and two you've had in quick succession are duds!!! :doh::rolleyes::rolleyes:

That's utterly pathetic and disgraceful, and says rather a lot a about Technics (National Panasonic) these days, and how standards have slipped. I'm afraid that after your shocking experience I wouldn't touch any of their new turntables with a bargepole!!!!

Marco.Doesn't bode well for the new SP10R does it.

RobbieGong
17-11-2017, 16:59
Doesn't bode well for the new SP10R does it.

Indeed! and going by this it does look like Technics Panasonic have a manufacturing process that is focused on bottom line, resulting with a production and quality side that appears exposed as lacking unfortunately

Ammonite Audio
17-11-2017, 18:45
I can confirm that my SL-1200GR runs completely silently, at all speeds.

Marco
17-11-2017, 18:53
Good to know, Hugo - yours must not have been made on a Friday afternoon, then! ;)

Marco.

mikeyb
17-11-2017, 19:13
Maybe that's why there was £500 off [emoji6]

allthingsanalogue
17-11-2017, 23:21
Not looking good for my deck......

https://i.imgur.com/LYQuSnb.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/fcGhzbh.jpg

He mentions a slight noise only at 78 but mine does it until it almost stops.

allthingsanalogue
17-11-2017, 23:22
Maybe that's why there was £500 off [emoji6]

It was actually but can confirm they both totally factory sealed.

In a way I hope Technics can sort it and swap with me direct? I'm starting to be concerned the shop are getting annoyed, first the amp then the deck. But in my defense the amp condition was atrocious and these decks are both noisy but i've handed over £6250 so really need it sorted. A noisy turntable is totally unacceptable.

mikeyb
17-11-2017, 23:47
It was actually but can confirm they both totally factory sealed.

In a way I hope Technics can sort it and swap with me direct? I'm starting to be concerned the shop are getting annoyed, first the amp then the deck. But in my defense the amp condition was atrocious and these decks are both noisy but i've handed over £5750 so really need it sorted. A noisy turntable is totally unacceptable.

I feel for you, very disappointing for sure. Hope you get it sorted out.

allthingsanalogue
17-11-2017, 23:51
I feel for you, very disappointing for sure. Hope you get it sorted out.

Thanks Mike.

It's the deck I really want, not the refund. Even if it wasn't faulty I still would have had the option to return it anyway.

Bigman80
18-11-2017, 00:44
Thanks Mike.

It's the deck I really want, not the refund. Even if it wasn't faulty I still would have had the option to return it anyway.Don't worry about the shop Getting annoyed!!!!! You've spent nigh on £6k !!!!! If you aren't happy with it, you're perfectly within your rights as a consumer to return it for a replacement. They may give you a refund if they don't feel they can satisfy your requirements. As the fault lies with the factory, it's not their issue. Keep going!!!!!!

Yomanze
18-11-2017, 08:04
If anything you’re doing them a favour by highlighting they might have gotten a dodgy batch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scooby
18-11-2017, 08:41
It would completely put me off buying one. If it can leave a production line that claims unprecedented QC in that state, it doesn't bode well. I'd be concerned that something else could manifest itself in future, even if I get a silent deck from new.

To me, a used 1200/1210 is a far safer buy with a long track record of reliability and loads of spares as well as after market upgrades. I realise that's not what the OP is after but no way would I put thousands into a deck that has failed on two out of two samples.

Bigman80
18-11-2017, 09:14
I think it's fair to consider that there will be a few teething problems with any "new" product, which this essentially is. It's just unfortunate that the OP has had two in a row that aren't up to spec. It's not unheard of! It could become beneficial if the reputation is damaged. Prices will be lowered for a short time to regain customer trust and that's a point that many people can purchase a new TT for a reduction in price.

Stay the course and keep going. Just keep in mind it isn't the dealers fault. As long as you maintain a good relationship with them, they should reciprocate.

allthingsanalogue
18-11-2017, 09:31
M
I think it's fair to consider that there will be a few teething problems with any "new" product, which this essentially is. It's just unfortunate that the OP has had two in a row that aren't up to spec. It's not unheard of! It could become beneficial if the reputation is damaged. Prices will be lowered for a short time to regain customer trust and that's a point that many people can purchase a new TT for a reduction in price.

Stay the course and keep going. Just keep in mind it isn't the dealers fault. As long as you maintain a good relationship with them, they should reciprocate.

Agreed. I've told them twice that I certainly don't want them to think I'm blaming them.

Marco
18-11-2017, 10:56
I think it's fair to consider that there will be a few teething problems with any "new" product, which this essentially is...

Yet there are also units around functioning perfectly, as evidenced by those owned by Hugo, Patrick Kelly and 'early', which indicates that said "teething problems" aren't universal, and so for me points the finger of blame firmly at quality control, which seems abysmal, given that a faulty batch (containing two units we know of at least) has been allowed to slip through the system.

This was unheard of 'back in the day', with the old SL-1200. In the early 90s, I worked for a hi-fi dealership in Glasgow, and we sold many 100s of SL-1200s and 1210s, and not ONE of them came back, that's not to even consider the many thousands of them purchased by studios and DJs worldwide, who bought them primarily because of their renowned reliability.

The reality now is that EVERY SINGLE ONE of these new motor units should be tried and tested, and passed as ok, *before* it gets near a box and shipped to customers, and had that been the case, Andrew wouldn't have had his unfortunate experience. We must remember that this is a £3000 turntable, so certain standards are to be expected, and which currently simply aren't being delivered!

And Andrew, as others have said, worry not about what the shop thinks. YOU are the customer who's shelled out his cash, and therefore the most important person in all of this, so worry fuck all about whom you're 'upsetting', and DEMAND that you get things sorted out to your satisfaction - and tout suite.

They're bloody lucky that it wasn't me that this happened to, as heads would've rolled........!! ;)

Marco.

allthingsanalogue
18-11-2017, 16:12
Thanks Marco.

Update........

It turns out the shop dem unit is also making a noise so they're goimg to speak to Technics on Monday to get theie one replaced.

I still want the deck as I can't play my 100+ 78's on the Linn so am giving it one more go, 3rd time lucky? They are going to possibly get Technics to send me one direct or get them to check the one they send out to make sure it's perfect.

My 'new' amp is also in stock and will be with me on Wednesday.

GML
18-11-2017, 16:22
They are going to possibly get Technics to send me one direct or get them to check the one they send out to make sure it's perfect.

My 'new' amp is also in stock and will be with me on Wednesday.

Hopefully, some good news at last! It's all sent to try us. You know the problems I had with two Rega RP10s and an Isis.

Marco
18-11-2017, 16:22
Thanks, Andrew. So that's another faulty one, this time the shop's demo unit - it gets worse! :doh: This simply isn't good enough from Technics. Was it Loud & Clear in Edinburgh you bought it from?

If so, I know the boss, Allan Boyd, and also knew his dad, before he sadly passed away. So might call him on Monday and have a word on your behalf, if you like? And we'll see what can be done, in terms you being properly compensated for your inconvenience... ;)

Marco.

allthingsanalogue
18-11-2017, 16:40
No it wasn't Loud n Clear in Edinburgh.

Marco
18-11-2017, 16:42
I thought you mentioned them for something - was it the Yamaha amp you got from them then?

Also, who did you buy the Technics from?

Marco.

allthingsanalogue
18-11-2017, 16:57
I thought you mentioned them for something - was it the Yamaha amp you got from them then?

Also, who did you buy the Technics from?

Marco.

Pm sent.

allthingsanalogue
18-11-2017, 17:10
Hopefully, some good news at last! It's all sent to try us. You know the problems I had with two Rega RP10s and an Isis.

I remember it well.

This is impressive though, about 1:24 to come to complete stop from 78 without electronic braking.

https://youtu.be/zH28e7h70Zk

allthingsanalogue
19-11-2017, 14:01

They are going to send me another one, which is great service and I'm keeping the faith!

Tbh it sounds to good not to try again.

Bigman80
19-11-2017, 14:13
They are going to send me another one, which is great service and I'm keeping the faith!

Tbh it sounds to good not to try again.Let's hope it's better. Fingers crossed for you matey!!!!

allthingsanalogue
19-11-2017, 16:43
Let's hope it's better. Fingers crossed for you matey!!!!

Thanks!

What is surprising is that the AT33ptg/II does some things that the Lyra Delos doesn't! :stalks:

Bigman80
19-11-2017, 18:27
Thanks!

What is surprising is that the AT33ptg/II does some things that the Lyra Delos doesn't! :stalks:Like what? I was interested in the Lyra on sale here a few weeks back but missed it.

Marco
19-11-2017, 18:51
Like what?

It does a striptease, then finishes off by giving you a blowjob... Isn't technology today marvellous? :D

Marco.

Bigman80
19-11-2017, 18:51
But the AT33PTGII does that too!?

🤣

Marco
19-11-2017, 19:33
Only on a Tuesday.

Marco.

allthingsanalogue
20-11-2017, 13:59
Here is confirmation.

So third time lucky!

https://i.imgur.com/F4EN9Xq.jpg

Audio Al
20-11-2017, 14:53
It does a striptease, then finishes off by giving you a blowjob... Isn't technology today marvellous? :D

Marco.

Said by a man who know how to give a good BJ ;)

Audio Al
20-11-2017, 14:54
Here is confirmation.

So third time lucky!

https://i.imgur.com/F4EN9Xq.jpg

Not sure I would accept a repair as its a new unit !

allthingsanalogue
20-11-2017, 15:01
Not sure I would accept a repair as its a new unit !

Oh, definitly not. I've asked for a brand new replacement but it's good to know I'm not imagining it.

Audio Al
20-11-2017, 16:59
Oh, definitly not. I've asked for a brand new replacement but it's good to know I'm not imagining it.

Great :)

allthingsanalogue
20-11-2017, 21:54
The more I listen to the AT33ptg/II the more I reckon its seriously good vfm. It's has extremely low levels of surface noise but super, super detailed. I can easily hear backing vocals and subtle levels of detail in some ways better than the Delos.

For example I'm now playing 'Craig David's - Slicker Than You're Average' and I'm hearing backing vocals and other various instruments I can honestly say I've never noticed, and I'm not even trying?

I've got it loaded at 100 ohms and on max gain at 66dB as it's half the output of the Lyra at 0.3mv. It must have great synergy with the Sl1200.

This combo at less than £3k, £2.5k for tt and £435 for cart is seriously, seriously good and not just another Technics. For example, on my old SL1210mk5g if you tapped the plinth you would get feedback through the speakers but not here, it's totally dead.

I would go as far to say that this is better than any deck I've heard around this money and possibly beyond. High praise indeed. It just makes music without worrying about belts, springs etc and I'm using in totally stock form, even the basic RCA interconnects and YES it's totally speed stable.

Bugger! I can hear even more stuff I've never noticed before, I'll go and bang my head against a wall now. :brickwall:

Just wait for the new one now......

Marco
22-11-2017, 08:56
Lol - what did I tell you at the beginning of this journey, about once you 'tune into' what the Technics does well...? Just try listening to your Linn now! ;)

The current AT-33PTG (and its predecessor) are indeed excellent cartridges, and as you say veritable 'high-end giant killers', simply because they do the filigree detailing and 'sparkly highs', synonymous with the very best MCs, and also like those sound very refined, but at a much lower price (simply because of economies of scale). I do rate them.

However, that said, AT cartridges, in general, aren't really my thing. It's just personal taste. I find them a little too 'clean' sounding, a touch bright (not in an immediately obvious sense, but that they've been voiced to accentuate the mids and highs), and lean in the bass. As a result, in the wrong system, they can come across as a little too 'hi-fi sounding', and lack 'soul' [coincidentally, I find Lyras the same in that respect].

It's simply the AT 'house sound', as I've owned and heard loads of them over the years, and although individually different, all exhibit those core traits. Denon cartridges [and indeed all others] also have their 'house sound' (and balance of virtues), and it's quite different from that of ATs...

If I were to pop my DL-S1 onto the end of your arm, and let you compare it directly with your AT, you'd hear "exactly* where I was coming from. However, worry not about that just now, and enjoy what you have, which you're clearly doing. In the meantime, I hope that your replacement T/T arrives ASAP, and this tme functions faultlessly :cool:

Marco.

allthingsanalogue
22-11-2017, 10:03
SL100G feet.

A totally different beast to the feet of old. 283g each!

They are machined from metal, not magnetic so not steel but too heavy for aluminium so maybe brass?

https://i.imgur.com/iKOgVjL.jpg

https://youtu.be/ImPy8Jmz5MY

allthingsanalogue
22-11-2017, 10:07
Lol - what did I tell you at the beginning of this journey, about once you 'tune into' what the Technics does well...? Just try listening to your Linn now! ;)

The current AT-33PTG (and its predecessor) are indeed excellent cartridges, and as you say veritable 'high-end giant killers', simply because they do the filigree detailing and 'sparkly highs', synonymous with the very best MCs, and also like those sound very refined, but at a much lower price (simply because of economies of scale). I do rate them.

However, that said, AT cartridges, in general, aren't really my thing. It's just personal taste. I find them a little too 'clean' sounding, a touch bright (not in an immediately obvious sense, but that they've been voiced to accentuate the mids and highs), and lean in the bass. As a result, in the wrong system, they can come across as a little too 'hi-fi sounding', and lack 'soul' [coincidentally, I find Lyras the same in that respect].

It's simply the AT 'house sound', as I've owned and heard loads of them over the years, and although individually different, all exhibit those core traits. Denon cartridges [and indeed all others] also have their 'house sound' (and balance of virtues), and it's quite different from that of ATs...

If I were to pop my DL-S1 onto the end of your arm, and let you compare it directly with your AT, you'd hear "exactly* where I was coming from. However, worry not about that just now, and enjoy what you have, which you're clearly doing. In the meantime, I hope that your replacement T/T arrives ASAP, and this tme functions faultlessly :cool:

Marco.

Thanks Marco.

Hoping it will be here soon. I like the clean sound if the AT cart and can only imagine it's going to get better and better.

Direct drive ceratinly has advantges, I notice fast transinents in the music tend to better presented and this allows very fine details to be heard.

Keep you posted, my 2nd deck is being collected today.

allthingsanalogue
22-11-2017, 12:31
New amp here, perfect. Not even warm.

brian2957
22-11-2017, 12:35
What amp did you get Andrew . I'm just being too lazy to look back this thread :)

allthingsanalogue
22-11-2017, 16:11
What amp did you get Andrew . I'm just being too lazy to look back this thread :)

Yamaha AS-3000!

https://i.imgur.com/IC92Ixi.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/y1sAFkm.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/EKetuAi.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/gPbjT9x.jpg

brian2957
22-11-2017, 16:27
Looks terrible Andrew , I think you should put it back in its box and send it straight to me and I'll put it on the bottom rung of my rack :eyebrows:

Absolutely gorgeous mate , and a suitable partner for the turntable which I hope you get sorted soon :)

allthingsanalogue
22-11-2017, 16:47
Looks terrible Andrew , I think you should put it back in its box and send it straight to me and I'll put it on the bottom rung of my rack :eyebrows:

Absolutely gorgeous mate , and a suitable partner for the turntable which I hope you get sorted soon :)

Thanks mate. It sounds as good as it looks.:cheers:

And the phono stage is superb, no loading options but it gives my Black Cube SEII a run for it's money.

Bigman80
22-11-2017, 16:55
I like the Meters. I know that's gonna cause outrage but each to their own. Lovely.

allthingsanalogue
22-11-2017, 17:00
I like the Meters. I know that's gonna cause outrage but each to their own. Lovely.

Outrage, they're essential!

Love Japanese, (ok Made In Malyasia) kit.

Bigman80
22-11-2017, 17:00
Outrage, they're essential!

Love Japanese, (ok Made In Malyasia) kit.[emoji23]

walpurgis
22-11-2017, 17:15
I like the Meters. I know that's gonna cause outrage but each to their own

Meters are for schoolboys!! :lol:

Bigman80
22-11-2017, 17:59
Meters are for schoolboys!! [emoji38]No! Meters are for romantics. Beautiful things they are.

Marco
22-11-2017, 20:41
I have to agree with the love for meters. Quality, well-executed ones, such as those on the Yamaha, look simply gorgeous - especially when they're illuminated at night in a darkened room :)

You surprise me, Geoff, as meters on 'retro' Jap amps are pretty much considered as de rigueur!

Nice one on the Yammie, Andrew. Glad that the replacement seems fine. I love its looks. All that would concern me is whether its a triumph of style over substance, and so I'd have to listen to it to find that out.

Enjoy! :cool:

Marco.

allthingsanalogue
22-11-2017, 23:24
I have to agree with the love for meters. Quality, well-executed ones, such as those on the Yamaha look simply gorgeous, especially when they're illuminated at night in a darkened room :)

You surprise me, Geoff, as meters on 'retro' Jap amps are pretty much considered as de rigueur!

Nice one on the Yammie, Andrew. Glad that the replacement seems fine. I love its looks. All that would concern me is whether its a triumph of style over substance, and so I'd have to listen to it to find that out.

Enjoy! :cool:

Marco.

It's definitely not style over substance. It's been on for about 10 hours today and I can honestly say it's by far, the best amp I've not only owned but pretty much heard.

The bass is superb, The control is incredible, very nimble with extremely high levels of detail but without being harsh or in your face, it has an almost holographic sound stage. It's just so open but doesn't draw attention to less than perfect recordings. Mid range is wonderful.

If you've read the WHF review my only advice is to just ignore it. This is a serious piece of kit and not what you would expect from a 'generic brand'.

I love it.

Bigman80
22-11-2017, 23:44
That's great news!!! Ignore what you read if it makes you happy!!!! Looks the balls anyway [emoji6]

Marco
23-11-2017, 13:48
+1, indeed :)

It would've been rather disappointing otherwise, as the amp looks utterly fab, although perhaps not quite up to the standard of vintage Accuphase, in that respect:

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/922/LdkNrM.jpg

Oh, and I'm glad to see that Technics have improved the (shockingly piss-poor) feet on the original SL-1200 with something that certainly looks much better. All you need to do now is fit an Achromat, as unfortunately they're still supplying their £3k T/T with a rubber mat, which is equally as piss-poor!! ;)

Amyway, enjoy :cool:

Marco.

allthingsanalogue
23-11-2017, 16:32
There can't be much in it, reckon the Yammy's got the edge!

E-305http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-KZlrUzr09Vw/U2QTycIG8kI/AAAAAAAAGG0/kOGA1EAbJHE/s1600/Accuphase-E305-12-big.jpg

A-S3000

https://europe.yamaha.com/en/files/3B3E4C70E9DE42238F86E5663A7B5DD9_12075_735x735_129 7a565e74171405c1a5ea645af4721.jpg

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/vIpREeRCU30/maxresdefault.jpg

Tea24
25-11-2017, 08:35
I sympathise with the OP having to return two turntables & hope he will be third time lucky, but if you look at Technics own video about the renaissance of this iconic table and the fact that they had to drag out of retirement the older workers they could find & the latter in their turn had to train new assemblers & technical staff, who were unacquainted with this technology, I am not surprised some of the early tables show problems.

After all, even if based on an existing design this is effectively a new product.

Personally I always try and wait a year or two before purchasing in order to let the early glitches get sorted.

Marco
25-11-2017, 09:59
Great to see a Jap amp, at last, fitted with quality RCAs, and especially, binding posts! Plus a proper mains inlet, to facilitate the use of a decent mains lead, instead of the shitty-thin captive 'liquorice stick', posing as a mains lead, normally supplied! :)

Marco.

allthingsanalogue
25-11-2017, 14:29
Great to see a Jap amp, at last, fitted with quality RCAs, and especially, binding posts! Plus a proper mains inlet, to facilitate the use of a decent mains lead, instead of the shitty-thin captive 'liquorice stick', posing as a mains lead, normally supplied! :)

Marco.

Agreed!

If you're ever in my neck of the woods give me a shout.

Marco
25-11-2017, 14:32
No worries, will do - and likewise! :cool:

Marco.

allthingsanalogue
25-11-2017, 14:34
I sympathise with the OP having to return two turntables & hope he will be third time lucky, but if you look at Technics own video about the renaissance of this iconic table and the fact that they had to drag out of retirement the older workers they could find & the latter in their turn had to train new assemblers & technical staff, who were unacquainted with this technology, I am not surprised some of the early tables show problems.

After all, even if based on an existing design this is effectively a new product.

Personally I always try and wait a year or two before purchasing in order to let the early glitches get sorted.

I know what you mean. Many people look at the 1200G and think it's just the 1210 relaunched, they just don't get that it's a totally new product but a better product. My new deck will be here in about 3 weeks!

Tea24
26-11-2017, 09:15
I look forward to your report once you have it up & running & I hope no problems this time.

keiron99
28-11-2017, 21:20
The thing I like best about that Yammy amp is the fact it has tone controls.

And no, I'm not joking :D

allthingsanalogue
29-11-2017, 01:29
The thing I like best about that Yammy amp is the fact it has tone controls.

And no, I'm not joking :D

Definitly! And when they are in the centre they are defeated, a relay clicks in when you adjust them, nice touch.

Tone controls were frowned upon by the British Hifi crowd but they're okay now as the new PMC Cor amp has them!

allthingsanalogue
15-12-2017, 15:30
Looks like my 1200G will be here soon!:D

costerdock
18-12-2017, 02:53
Hopefully the 3rd one will be dead silent.

Now - I'm scratching my head at some comments you made earlier. You feel the G bests the M5G. I'd like to now how? From my understanding your M5G was heavily modded. Are you saying the G sounds better? Didn't you replace the arm? If that is the case then that is not at all part of the M5G. That only leads to speed stability - are you saying that you can actually hear more stable speed?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with preferring the G over the M5G aesthetically - but I refuse to believe soundwise and speedwise the G beats it (and noticeably.)

I think the G is nice - but I'm quite happy with the M5G and believe it is the most beautiful of the sl1200 line. I think the G is beautiful as well and has some really cool new features - but these features are primarily to appease the audiophile reviewer (Fremer) and really do nothing to make the great deck better.

Audio Al
18-12-2017, 04:27
Agreed!

If you're ever in my neck of the woods give me a shout.

I think Marco visits regularly , You have lots of sheep in Norfolk dont you ? :)

Tea24
04-01-2018, 08:34
Allthings analogue, I take it your 1200G has now arrived but you are so busy listening to it that you have no time to post!

I hope this is the case and that you had a wonderful Christmas playing all your favourite discs and that finally you have a good one.

If so, can you let us have the low down on your thoughts?

allthingsanalogue
05-01-2018, 13:37
Sorry, yes. Been busy with Xmas and been ill!

Deck is superb, the only thing though, it needs a Delos! I took the Delos crom my Sondek, just to try it out you understand! Bad move. It sounded phenomenal! Really dymamic, amazing levels of detail and really sublime bass to die for! You can really hear the direct drive motor keeping the rythym and tempo alive!!

Lerxst
05-01-2018, 13:57
Interesting post to read through.

Hope replacement is OK.

The "bad luck" I have had last year with NEW kit is amazing: QAcoustics broken tweeter, Arcam DAC making noise, Marantz CD player with broken headphone socket, Cambridge Audio Amp with broken relays.

Quality Control is not what it used to be - we never had these problems in the past.

allthingsanalogue
05-01-2018, 15:46
Interesting post to read through.

Hope replacement is OK.

The "bad luck" I have had last year with NEW kit is amazing: QAcoustics broken tweeter, Arcam DAC making noise, Marantz CD player with broken headphone socket, Cambridge Audio Amp with broken relays.

Quality Control is not what it used to be - we never had these problems in the past.

We certainly didn't!

Marco
06-01-2018, 10:00
Sorry, yes. Been busy with Xmas and been ill!

Deck is superb, the only thing though, it needs a Delos! I took the Delos crom my Sondek, just to try it out you understand! Bad move. It sounded phenomenal! Really dymamic, amazing levels of detail and really sublime bass to die for! You can really hear the direct drive motor keeping the rythym and tempo alive!!

Lol.... Good stuff. I did tell you that at the very beginning, and what would likely happen if you compared it to your Sondek, which I now expect to see in the classifieds, sooner rather than later ;)

Marco.

allthingsanalogue
06-01-2018, 21:13
Lol.... Good stuff. I did tell you that at the very beginning, and what would likely happen if you compared it to your Sondek, which I now expect to see in the classifieds, sooner rather than later ;)

Marco.

Hope you had a good xmas and happy new year to you Marco.

Yeah baby, now we're on fire! Achromat not arrived yet!!!

This is serious vinyl replay.

https://i.imgur.com/lauKzGY.jpg

allthingsanalogue
08-01-2018, 12:45
Achromat looks lovely.

Luckily you don't need the Technics version with the lip on for the 1200G or GAE so that saves a few quid!

Just waiting now for my new Delos, the other one's back on the Linn!

https://i.imgur.com/P3wg95i.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/aUZs0KS.jpg

Yomanze
08-01-2018, 17:37
These are going for £1199 at my local Richer Sounds in Manchester, tempted each time I walk past it.

RobbieGong
08-01-2018, 18:33
Hi Andrew, I have the same Achromat here which I ordered a while back but havnt been able to try out yet.

I am looking to try it and an acrylic mat I also purchased.

Be interested in your thoughts on the Achromat :)

allthingsanalogue
08-01-2018, 19:47
These are going for £1199 at my local Richer Sounds in Manchester, tempted each time I walk past it.

That will be 1200GR.

GML
08-01-2018, 19:48

You've probably seen the 1200GR for that price, not the 1200G.

Oops!, beaten to it!

allthingsanalogue
08-01-2018, 20:05
Hi Andrew, I have the same Achromat here which I ordered a while back but havnt been able to try out yet.

I am looking to try it and an acrylic mat I also purchased.

Be interested in your thoughts on the Achromat :)

Main reason i initally bought it is to solve the VTA Issue. The later Technics decks only seem to go down, even on the lowest arm height setting to about 17mm at a push with the supllied 2.5mm rubber mat. With a Jelco Headshel it's getting on for 20mm, so yoy either need a shim or a thicker mat. Luckily the achromat is exremely well reviewed and also 5mm thick allowing almost any cart to be used without a shim.

I do have carbon fibre shim bought from a seller in Germany from ebay that is 2.7mm thick but don't know if it messes up the sound or not?

Yomanze
08-01-2018, 20:43
Thanks for the clarification gents, thread title caught my eye, but still, some very good deals!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

allthingsanalogue
08-01-2018, 21:45
Well I couldn't wait, i pinched the Delos back from the Linn.

It sounds absolutely incredible. It's probably less analogue sounding than the Linn but it has serious detail, I mean 'HUGE'! Think the best sounding digital source you've ever heard and multiply it by a factor of 100x with an analogue flavour.

What I find incredible is you can really follow what people are singing, like all the words. Noise floor is so low I had to check the stylus was on the record or wired up correctly.

So as you can imagine, I like it, a lot.

https://i.imgur.com/blv2oqw.jpg

RobbieGong
08-01-2018, 21:46
Main reason i initally bought it is to solve the VTA Issue. The later Technics decks only seem to go down, even on the lowest arm height setting to about 17mm at a push with the supllied 2.5mm rubber mat. With a Jelco Headshel it's getting on for 20mm, so yoy either need a shim or a thicker mat. Luckily the achromat is exremely well reviewed and also 5mm thick allowing almost any cart to be used without a shim.

I do have carbon fibre shim bought from a seller in Germany from ebay that is 2.7mm thick but don't know if it messes up the sound or not?

I'll defo be doing an evaluation then of the stock mat, Acrylic and Achromat when I'm able to do so, which hoepfully wont be too long now ;)

allthingsanalogue
08-01-2018, 22:30
Well, with the 2.5mm supplied rubber mat against the Achromat, the whole soundstage collapses.

Audio Al
09-01-2018, 04:48
Well I couldn't wait, i pinched the Delos back from the Linn.

It sounds absolutely incredible. It's probably less analogue sounding than the Linn but it has serious detail, I mean 'HUGE'! Think the best sounding digital source you've ever heard and multiply it by a factor of 100x with an analogue flavour.

What I find incredible is you can really follow what people are singing, like all the words. Noise floor is so low I had to check the stylus was on the record or wired up correctly.

So as you can imagine, I like it, a lot.

https://i.imgur.com/blv2oqw.jpg

Yer but yer but its a DJ deck :D

Yomanze
09-01-2018, 14:39
Yer but yer but its a DJ deck :D

Funny how people equate tonal and pitch anomalies as sounding more analogue. :D

walpurgis
09-01-2018, 15:59
If you're playing a record, no matter what on, it sounds analogue. 'Cos it is! :)

Audio Al
09-01-2018, 16:53
Digital SUCKS :steam:

struth
09-01-2018, 17:07
oh dear :D

Audio Al
09-01-2018, 17:11
oh dear :D

:lol::steam::steam:

allthingsanalogue
15-01-2018, 23:29
Still sounding great! :D

Got my new Delos today so both decks now running! Obviously not at the same time!!

keiron99
16-06-2018, 09:47
Well, I caved in.

After missing out on allthisanalogue's sale of his 1200G, I put a deposit down on a new one. Going to be a couple of months' wait though until I get my grubby hands on it.

Like my recent acquisition of Harbeth speakers and a big Rotel, I see it as a fit-and-forget solution, possibly my last, and certainly will be with me for a very long time.

allthingsanalogue
16-06-2018, 18:21
Well, I caved in.

After missing out on allthisanalogue's sale of his 1200G, I put a deposit down on a new one. Going to be a couple of months' wait though until I get my grubby hands on it.

Like my recent acquisition of Harbeth speakers and a big Rotel, I see it as a fit-and-forget solution, possibly my last, and certainly will be with me for a very long time.

It broke my heart to sell it but after buying a Linn Uphorik and maxing out my credit card, let’s just say I was desperate for funds!

HOWEVER, I'm buying another one next year to replace it as I really was enjoying it but sometime needs must. Richer sounds have told me they will do one for £2500. So hopefully won’t be without one for long.

WOStantonCS100
03-08-2022, 15:32
So, one of the end results of losing a turntable and master recorder (almost 4 months ago) to a plumbing issue (and having a current and up to date home owners insurance) is that I now have a Technics SL-1200G sitting in a box. Sadly, I've no time to even consider setting it up within the next couple of weeks. :(

Quite excited about the "sound" of the magnesium tonearm. I had considered an SME for one of my other 1200's for that reason as well as the ability to install and balance an SPU integrated head shell cartridge. It appears Technics has solved both of those issues while keeping the genius helical VTA. In the near future I should be able to do a direct comparison between my modded 1200 (Mike New Audio bearing, Trans-Fi T3 Pro Terminator tonearm, etc.) and this new stock 1200G.

I can say this... ...the turntable double-boxed... is heavy! Not Goldmund or TechDAS level heavy but nevertheless noticeable.

[I did have to argue my case with the insurance company. If you ever find yourself in such a position be ready to file an appeal. Initially the amount they quoted to "make me whole" was quite literally, laughable. It was no where near enough to replace what was lost. It took two adjusters to finally get them to honor the policy. Ironically, they were ready to give me 4K for a Tascam DA-6400 because both the Tascam DV-RA1000HD (that I lost) and it's replacement, the Tascam DA-3000 are both discontinued. We agreed to settle on me finding a used (like new condition) DV-RA1000HD.]

keiron99
17-08-2022, 16:12
Have you got it up and running yet?

WOStantonCS100
18-08-2022, 01:43
Have you got it up and running yet?

Yes, my good fellow.

The SL-M3 has been disconnected and sat on the floor. In its place, the 1200G.

Very much looking forward to spending some quality time with it this weekend. I've only played one side of an LP so far... ...already impressed, very impressed.