PDA

View Full Version : A Visit to Jimbos

Bigman80
30-10-2017, 08:41
After months of trying to get our schedules to line up, I finally managed to get over to James's abode.

My main purpose for the visit was to get a listen to the Croft Pre and power amp.

The Man -

James is a very Gracious host and made me feel very welcome in his home. We spoke at great length about the artists we listened to and James demonstrated a vast knowledge of his favourite artists background. One thing that really came across was how passionate he is about sound. Like me, there is a NEED to get transparency and resolution from our systems.

The VPI

I was very close to purchasing a VPI Classic a little while back. I have always liked the ethos of VPI. High quality gear first and foremost.

I was very much looking forward to hearing it and here lies the problem. I didn't hear it, in fact it just totally disappeared whilst in use. Silent in operation, pure black background and Delivered a very beautiful sound. I am so impressed with the VPI. Beautiful craftsmanship and looks. Simply a stunning turntable. A rock steady pitch and never heard it falter. Exceptional turntable.

Ortofon 2M black -

I've not heard a 2M black before so this was a real eye opener. I said to James at the time that I didn't feel he was missing out on anything from MC but on review, I think there's an edge to the sound that you don't get with MC. Maybe MC is Smoother? Not sure but what a fantastic cartridge the 2M black is. Again very detailed and resolution was incredible.

Croft Preamp and Power amp -

This is the bit where I am supposed to think "I like it but not as much as ......."

Well I can't, in all honesty, I thought the croft gear was simply fantastic. Beautiful rendering of female vocals and guitar. Excellent timbre and depth. I was totally immersed in whatever we listened to. 3D soundstage and pinpoint accuracy. Decay and attack were natural and organic, I just loved listening to them. A worthwhile contender if you are looking for a new amp, preamp.

Spendor 2's -

Here are a pair of speakers that I enjoyed listening to immensely. However, and I say this with the understanding that the room dimensions are holding James back, I felt they didn't give out the full scale of the recording. James fully acknowledges this and his reasoning for not going bigger with the speaker's makes a lot of sense.

The treble and MIDs are delivered with absolute magnificence. Pure tone, smooth treble and everything is handled with delicately when needed. Guitar strings twang and resonate in the body of the guitars and recreate a feeling of being live incredibly well. They enable you to get right into the recording unlike anything I've heard previously. Such transparency is hard to find. The only thing missing from this set up is scale and James knows this.

And incredible system to listen to and completely well matched to provide what James wants, transparency and accurate tone.

Conclusion -

I could spend hours listening to James system and we did. Around 4 in total.

I think for any audiophile, the equipment must achieve the sound principles that one wants to achieve and here they do. A very well matched system by a very knowledgeable guy. It was an absolute pleasure to listen to and I'm grateful to Jimbo for the invite. I now have a list of LPs I need to buy due to the fantastic material he has!

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171030/473bdec2ba459031a73277aec4b4f971.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171030/ca4cab346cf1d8fab3fdd195e642d7c4.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171030/80ac682c8793bb8c1abc40e3fc6a16dc.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171030/7b7785c4ef131d19ee4d58df0da427d6.jpg

walpurgis
30-10-2017, 08:46
Not surprised it sound good. That's a nicely chosen set of equipment.

Bigman80
30-10-2017, 08:47
Not surprised it sound good. That's a nicely chosen set of equipment.It was fantastic Geoff. I loved it. Thankfully I still loved mine when I got home [emoji23][emoji23]

Marco
30-10-2017, 09:03
:worthless:

;)

Marco.

brian2957
30-10-2017, 10:02
Nice write up Oliver . I paid James a visit in January of this year and he proved to be an excellent host . Like you , I fell in love with his system . So much so that I bought a Croft pre and power amp as soon as some became available and they're here to stay .

I posted the details of my visit on the forum . Thankfully the pictures of his VPI and Spendors have survived http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?48991-Visit-to-Jimbos&highlight=brian2957+visit+jimbos

Bigman80
30-10-2017, 11:01
Nice write up Oliver . I paid James a visit in January of this year and he proved to be an excellent host . Like you , I fell in love with his system . So much so that I bought a Croft pre and power amp as soon as some became available and they're here to stay .

I posted the details of my visit on the forum . Thankfully the pictures of his VPI and Spendors have survived http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?48991-Visit-to-Jimbos&highlight=brian2957+visit+jimbosI remember reading it Brian, it's a great system. I really enjoyed it and can see the appeal of the croft gear. Very good indeed.

Jimbo
30-10-2017, 12:55
I was certainly pleased that Oliver could find time to come over and listen to my system after he initially expressed an interest in listening to some Croft amplification. It was an absolute pleasure to have Oliver there as he is such a good listener with a seriously acute sense of hearing and a great ability to articulate what he hears. I appreciate tremendously Oliver's analysis of my system as it is always an anxious experience inviting someone into your home to listen to a system which you have put together.

I would say Oliver's description of each piece of kit and its sonic footprint, ( or not), is absolutely spot on as his observation is so close to mine. I know my systems strengths and weaknesses but as we discussed, trying to build a system that sounds great is very hard indeed and some compromises have to be made. Most notably I have a room that has the worst dimensions, it is a cube, and is not really big enough to do justice to my speakers. I could do with a few more feet behind the listener and behind the speakers to really allow them to sound better.

I really very much enjoyed the evening and it was great to listen to excellent vinyl with someone who has similar tastes in music, in fact Oli had bought with him 4 albums I already have.:) I think we could have pushed on all night but I think 4 hours was long enough!

Bigman80
30-10-2017, 13:52
I was certainly pleased that Oliver could find time to come over and listen to my system after he initially expressed an interest in listening to some Croft amplification. It was an absolute pleasure to have Oliver there as he is such a good listener with a seriously acute sense of hearing and a great ability to articulate what he hears. I appreciate tremendously Oliver's analysis of my system as it is always an anxious experience inviting someone into your home to listen to a system which you have put together.

I would say Oliver's description of each piece of kit and its sonic footprint, ( or not), is absolutely spot on as his observation is so close to mine. I know my systems strengths and weaknesses but as we discussed, trying to build a system that sounds great is very hard indeed and some compromises have to be made. Most notably I have a room that has the worst dimensions, it is a cube, and is not really big enough to do justice to my speakers. I could do with a few more feet behind the listener and behind the speakers to really allow them to sound better.

I really very much enjoyed the evening and it was great to listen to excellent vinyl with someone who has similar tastes in music, in fact Oli had bought with him 4 albums I already have.:) I think we could have pushed on all night but I think 4 hours was long enough!I am convinced your speakers, in a room that compliments them would be absolutely stunning. No doubt at all. I liked them that much, I. Gonna try and pick up a set of Mission 770 which I believe sound incredibly similar and I cant afford Spendors lol.

Definitely could have gone on longer and I'm sure we'll get a good few hours in at my place. Having similar principals and music tastes really does help.

You have no need for anxiety with your system James, it's quite superb. Enviable to most, I'd have thought.

I'm looking forward to hearing the Croft in my setup and at Alan's bakeoff. I'm hoping he uses the neat speakers too. They are much more revealing!!!!

Oliver.

Jimbo
30-10-2017, 14:08
Mission 770's can sound stunning and certainly have more scale than my Spendors. I would like a pair myself.

It would be good to hear the Croft in your system and the VPI?:)

Bigman80
30-10-2017, 14:14
Mission 770's can sound stunning and certainly have more scale than my Spendors. I would like a pair myself.

It would be good to hear the Croft in your system and the VPI?:)Absolutely!!!! Definitely bring it and we can do a SP10 v VPI type comparison!! It's getting even more interesting lol.

I'll send you some dates that may be possible to get together.

Bigman80
30-10-2017, 15:12
Typically pop up when I'm spent out!

https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/mission-770-loudspeakers/1272955012

cuddles
30-10-2017, 16:51
How did the Decca sound? I'm tempted to give it a go sometime.

Bigman80
30-10-2017, 17:12
How did the Decca sound? I'm tempted to give it a go sometime.We think there is a fault with it as when I got to my house I couldn't get it to sound right, the pic is for illustration purposes.

Jimbo
30-10-2017, 17:45
Think some of the pics are upside down Oli.

The 770s are a bargain but would be a problem size wise in my room- aghh they are so good though!

Bigman80
30-10-2017, 17:51
Think some of the pics are upside down Oli.

The 770s are a bargain but would be a problem size wise in my room- aghh they are so good though!Oh? The ones of your gear ? Look ok on Tapatalk!?

I'm sure someone will correct them lol

Yes they look in great Condition. If they weren't in Scotland I'd be after them.

Firebottle
30-10-2017, 18:01
I'm hoping he uses the neat speakers too. They are much more revealing!!!!

James I'm thinking the Neat's might give you what you are looking for. Would you like to try them in your system(room) before the bake-off, then return them on the 25th?
I could drop them over or you could collect from me, if you can find a short window of opportunity.

:)

Bigman80
30-10-2017, 18:02
James I'm thinking the Neat's might give you what you are looking for. Would you like to try them in your system(room) before the bake-off, then return them on the 25th?
I could drop them over or you could collect from me, if you can find a short window of opportunity.

:)They are a very clever speaker. Clever in the way they sound fantastically balanced bit take up very little room. An excellent idea Alan.

HackneyRF
30-10-2017, 18:35
Typically pop up when I'm spent out!

https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/mission-770-loudspeakers/1272955012

How about these ones Oliver?

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?33544-Bargains-on-ebay-(Part-2)&p=912746#post912746

Bigman80
30-10-2017, 19:26
Ye, just as far in the opposite direction to be honest. Can't tell how tidy from the pic either. Also, just spent £200 on a platter mat so need to replenish the fund first lol

hifinutt
31-10-2017, 20:09
nice one , great pics