PDA

View Full Version : Hi to all the audio freaks ...

Mixc
26-10-2017, 14:20
Hi all from Mick C in Coventry, I have been faffing with Hifi for 30 odd years and am still addicted.
It seems one of the first question asked is ...

So...

I am currently running a combined music and AV system.
Entre MC1, Sme3009 (unimproved) 301 (Grease), Ring mat, Crimson Elektrik MC, Croft Prototype valve pre amp,
Intel / Nvidia / Gigabyte PC (To store my movies and Vynle Rips)
Yamaha CX A5000 Pre / Bryston 9BST / Quad303 to Focal 1028BE, KEF IQ9 XQ60b Sub and AR M1 Holographic Reference speakers.
Panasonic Plasma and a Mitsubishi HC7000 Projector.
And much more gathering dust upstairs.

I like a good action movie and mostly listen to electronic music like Orb, Orbital, Drum and Bass, Bjork. and Yellow.
I also like music that pushes the boundary's of what you can do during production like Josh Wink ETC.
And classic Jazz.
Ive been viewing this site for a year or so and thought it was time to join.

TTFN :eek:

Puffin
26-10-2017, 17:03
Hi Mick, I like a bit of D&B, shame that Ben Watt is not doing stuff any more. Tracey Thorn seems to have disappeared since Out Of The Woods.

If you like Yello try Convergence by Boris Blank, fantastic bass and a nice vibe IMO.

Mixc
26-10-2017, 17:36
Hi Rob, thanks for the tip. I didn't know he was still making music, I'm listening to "electrified" and it shows its origins.

Haselsh1
26-10-2017, 18:16
Oh wow I used to use an Entre 1 MC cartridge way back when for a good many years. As I recall it was a damn fine sounding cart or it wouldn't have lasted as long as it did. Welcome indeed to AOS. You check out any time you like,
but you can never leave.

:eyebrows:

Mixc
26-10-2017, 18:42
Thank you Shaun, I picked up the Mc1 a couple of years ago from a chap in Leicester and have been using it since, classic vintage cart still going strong.

walpurgis
27-10-2017, 07:36
Hello Mick. Welcome to AOS.

That's an interesting selection of gear you have there.

Tell us what plans if any you may have for your system. We like to hear what people have in mind.

Please feel free to join in the chat.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

Mixc
27-10-2017, 10:59
Hi Geoff and thank you. From the look of your signature you can mix and match plenty of components, are you still on a quest or have you found your nirvana ?
My main goal is a system that as good for music as it is for films.
Its extraordinary the detail that hides in audio in all formats and i try to extract it where i can.
The Focals are still in the "Where in the room do these sound best stage", I am currently trying the long wall (8m vs 4m short wall).
And have plans to fine tweak my 301 adding the a bulb in series with the motor, finalize the plinth, swap arms, carts,
further mods are planned for the MC pre-stage and 2 box pre amp. Ive got 2 td150s and a gl75 to work on at some point. Rb300 to rewire.
I may get a different power amp for the Focals, and the processor has 11.2 channels so i may utilize some more of those.
I normally run 7.1 for AV and stereo for music.

walpurgis
27-10-2017, 11:08
Hi Mick. My system has been largely stable for years, but I do try the occasional bit of new equipment now and then.

The TD150 and the GL75 are both nice units. A TD150 would be my personal choice, it is easy enough to set up with a good tonearm and can turn in a great performance.

Mixc
27-10-2017, 11:44
Hi Geoff, yes the Thorrens is a lovely deck, I purchased this one 25 yrs ago for £3.50 , I used it prior to the sorting the 301 a plinth,
The TD150 was modded with linn springs and valhalla psu, I used a goldring 1012gx MM... The previous owner had made a hard wood plinth and added the SME 3009, It sang...