PDA

View Full Version : HDMI problem

hifi_dave
26-10-2017, 14:01
Just bought a Panasonic 50EX750B TV, which we are very happy with but I am not able to get sound from the HDMI 1 and 2 sockets. Picture works on these sockets but not sound. I can't find anything in the menus about this.

Ideas please.

JimC
26-10-2017, 15:56
Here's the manual................
https://www.manualslib.com/products/Panasonic-Tx-50ex750b-8698884.html

Troubleshooting on page 20 says to look at page 11. Something about if sound or picture not produced correctly try a different setting other than AUTO Mode.

HDMI 2 is the ARC so could be that for that socket, but wouldn't sort HDMI 1 so probably not that.

Factory Reset and try again. If still the same, return to vendor.

It used to be more for picture problems but we used to get complaints which could be sorted by re-configuring the source component to the HDMI socket.
Remove the device from HDMI 1 and manually select HDMI 1. No display. Select another Input and re-connect the device to HDMI 1. Manually select HDMI 1 and 'hey presto' (maybe!!).
I'm sure it's changed since I was repairing them but most devices didn't like to be hot-plugged. The Manufacturers said it was OK but I saw lots of problems. It's a bind to power down when connecting and re-connecting but I always felt safer doing so. Just like in the AUDIO world. Maybe I'm a bit OCD in this but I haven't damaged any components yet by dis-connecting and re-connecting whilst the power is off !!

Jim.

hifi_dave
31-10-2017, 11:07
James.

Thank you for the link and advice.

We contacted John Lewis yesterday and they arranged for a repair company to contact us. They said it is a faulty "A board" and not a set up issue. So, John Lewis is replacing the TV as it is just a few days old.

JimC
01-11-2017, 21:53
Great result, glad it's sorted.

J.

hifi_dave
10-11-2017, 17:25
Thanks Jim.

They installed a new Pioneer on Tuesday evening and it is AOK. All HDMI now functioning.

DGP
01-12-2017, 13:46
Thanks Jim.

They installed a new Pioneer on Tuesday evening and it is AOK. All HDMI now functioning.

Hi Dave

Did you mean new Pioneer? Ironically perhaps. I've just bought a new Panasonic 50EX750B TV and wanted to check the HDMI setting like you - e-help says look under the Setup menu for HDMI - I might be going mad but I can't see a setting for it. Updated firmware perhaps?

Did you get the Panasonic sorted or did you really get a replacement Pioneer?

DGP

hifi_dave
01-12-2017, 15:51
Yes, that is the TV I have. Slip of the fingers on the keyboard - it's a Panasonic.

John Lewis replaced the original TV and this time they sent a tech to do the job. He tried the original and couldn't get the HDMI 1 and 2 working. He thought it might be the HDMI lead I have as, apparently, they now have 'HD' leads, which are needed for HD TVs, bt that didn't work either.

They swapped over to the replacement TV and once again couldn't get the HDMI 1 and 2 working. The tech took a couple of minutes going through the menus again and got them working.Now, I'm not sure and neither were they, whether the original was faulty or whether it was a setting in the menu and that is what I suspect.

Yomanze
01-12-2017, 15:52
Interesting I tried to sort a neighbour's TV the other day, same issue. They are also getting a new TV sent.

Clive197
28-12-2017, 13:10
It might be well worth googling the problem to see what the issue actually is.

mikmas
28-12-2017, 19:02
Had a bunch of problems trying to get an Apple TV box recognised by my (new) Samsung 'smart' TV. The box worked fine with my monitor in the other room regardless of which HDMI cable I used but the Sammy refused to play ball, even with the same cables.
I then tried a 'super duper' heavy duty HDMI cable I had in my cable box and presto! - worked straightaway and flawlessly since.

Goes to show not all cables are created equally (or some such)