PDA

View Full Version : Good Gig Guide

petrat
25-10-2017, 14:48
Pat Metheny

Got tickets to see Pat Metheny next month ... seen him many times, but this is the first time with the brilliant British pianist Gwilym Simcock, and Linda Oh on bass + regular drummer Antonio Sanchez. Really looking forward to this. Anyone else going?

I am seeing them at Warwick on the 9th, but also have a ticket for the Barbican (with parking) the following evening (Friday, 10th). I am not able to get to that one, so if anyone wants to buy the ticket off, please PM me. They are also appearing in Hull, Dublin and Belfast.

(Could the mods make this a 'sticky', please?)

struth
25-10-2017, 15:04
no bother Peter. Quite like some of his stuff.

WESTLOWER
25-10-2017, 15:38
The Pat Metheny gig is one of the highlights of the 25th London Jazz Festival.
http://efglondonjazzfestival.org.uk
(not really a Festival in the sense of buy an entry ticket and jump from stage to stage..more like pay per concert, some expensive, very, some cheap and some free)

AoS Jazz n' Blues Club have cherry picked some highlights as well as Pat 'The Hair' Metheny....
https://i.imgur.com/nkG73TIm.jpg

Friday 10 November

Manu Dibango & The Soul Makossa Gang @ Ronnie Scott’s

Moses Boyd - Exodus @ Jazz Cafe, Camden

Tomasz Stańko, Cadogan Hall

Keith Tippett Octet with Matthew Bourne @ Kings Place (Hall One)

Bill Charlap and Stephen Keogh @ PizzaExpress Jazz Club

Tony Kofi & The Organisation @ Crypt Camberwell

Saturday 11 November

Chucho Valdés & Gonzalo Rubalcaba @ Barbican

Andy Sheppard Quartet – Beyond the Dancing Sun + Kadri Voorand with Mikel Mälgand @ Kings Place (Hall One)

Bilal Karaman Trio Barbican / Free Stage 5pm & 6pm

Average White Band + LaSharVu @ Southbank Centre / Royal Festival

Zakir Hussain - Crosscurrents with Dave Holland and Chris Potter @ Barbican

Michael Wollny + Andreas Schaerer + Vincent Peirani + Emile Parisien and Adam Baldych with Helge Lien Trio @ Cadogan Hall

Howe Gelb Piano Trio @PizzaExpress Jazz Club

Pee Wee Ellis Funk Assembly @ Hideaway

Kirk Lightest Trio @ Live At Zédel

Sunday 12 November

Marcus Miller + Ashley Henry@ Southbank Centre / Royal Festival Hall

Chris Thile and Brad Mehldau@ Barbican

John Surman and John Warren - The Brass Project - The Traveller’s Tale @ Kings Place (Hall Two)

Chris Potter Trio @PizzaExpress Jazz Club

Soweto Kinch@ Hideaway

Wolfgang Mutspiel Trio@ Jazz Cafe

Monday 13 November

Paolo Conte @Southbank Centre / Royal Festival Hall

Trombone Shorty & Orleans Avenue + The Suffers@ O2 Shepherd's Bush Empire

Herbie Hancock @ Barbican

Courtney Pine featuring Omar@ Bridge Theatre

Mark Guiliana jazz quartet@ Ronnie Scott’s

Tuesday 14 November

Abdullah Ibrahim & Ekaya@ Southbank Centre / Royal Festival Hall

Eliane Elias – Samba Brazil @Cadogan Hall

Wednesday 15 November

Zara McFarlane + Gabriel Royal @ Rich Mix

Becca Stevens@ Ronnie Scott’s

Thursday 16 November

Bill Laurance - @ Kings Place (Hall One)

Dee Dee Bridgewater@ Cadogan Hall

Robert Glasper@ Barbican

Friday 17 November

Henri Texier@ Kings Place (Hall One)

Mike Stern/Dave Weckl band ft Tom Kennedy and Bob Malach @Ronnie Scott’s

Saturday 18 November

Tommy Smith & Brian Kellock @ PizzaExpress Jazz Club

Chasing Trane - Jazz and the Image @ Barbican Cinemas 2&3 FILM

The Ballad of Fred Hersch - Jazz and the Image @Kings Place (Hall One)

Pharoah Sanders Quartet + Denys Baptiste + Alina Bzhezhinska: A Concert for Alice and John Coltrane@ Barbican

Omar Sosa & Seckou Keita@ Milton Court

Joe Zawinul: Stories of the Danube + Terence Blanchard Quintet with the BBC Concert Orchestra@ Barbican

Hopefully a few members will get to some of the gigs and check back here on the forum with a review or two!
Enjoy...

WESTLOWER
25-10-2017, 15:56
Pat Metheny

Got tickets to see Pat Metheny next month ... seen him many times, but this is the first time with the brilliant British pianist Gwilym Simcock, and Linda Oh on bass + regular drummer Antonio Sanchez. Really looking forward to this. Anyone else going?

I am seeing them at Warwick on the 9th, but also have a ticket for the Barbican (with parking) the following evening (Friday, 10th). I am not able to get to that one, so if anyone wants to buy the ticket off, please PM me.
This concert is totally sold out so snap it up if you can off Peter

Parkie37
04-04-2018, 04:19
I can’t add a new or upcoming concert, but I can tell you about a great experience that I had years ago. I was living and working in Toronto, Canada. I had discovered jazz and had a part time job selling HiFi in a nearby town. I had been demonstrating Chesky Music CDs and really enjoyed New York Reunion by McCoy Tyner as well as John Pizzarelli’s My Blue Heaven albums.

I decided to see if either of them ever get to a nearby jazz club and that week McCoy Tyner was playing at the Bermuda Onion on Bloor Street in Toronto. I talked my friend Howard into coming with me and we got there early enough to sit at the table closest to McCoy! Sat there all night absolutely taken with the stellar performance.

This was back in 1991 or 1992 and I can still remember the shivers that I got as I was gobsmacked at their ability. What a concert!

petrat
12-07-2019, 12:09
North Sea Jazz Festival .... starts this afternoon.

There's a few AoS people here in Rotterdam ... and more bands than we could possible see ... choices, choices!

https://www.northseajazz.com/en/program/2019/friday-12-july/

petrat
13-07-2019, 07:12
Well ... I hadn't realised just how massive this festival is. The venue is truly huge (essentially a national exhibition centre), with some stages in arena-sized rooms, holding many thousands, featuring big-draw r'n'b stars like Anita Baker. The 'pop' acts draw a younger audience, so there is a good mix of people at the festival, many seemingly there to soak up the atmosphere and eat from the many sellers of exotic foods, etc.
Fortunately the smaller rooms had some good jazz, although the huge crowds passing through the buildings make it a bit of a challenge for newbie's to locate, and get to, the next gig.
All in all, it's at the opposite end of the scale to our British local jazz festivals ... basically, a huge, professional commercial operation.