PDA

View Full Version : Half speed mastering

mr sneff
25-10-2017, 08:03
Interesting article on half speed mastering here (https://www.whathifi.com/features/holy-grail-vinyl-art-half-speed-mastering)

YNWaN
25-10-2017, 08:10
The recent half-speed reissues of Brian Eno’s first four solo albums are excellent.

Haselsh1
25-10-2017, 08:25
The recent half-speed reissues of Brian Eno’s first four solo albums are excellent.

Absolutely obsessed by Eno's work since 1973 but just couldn't justify the expense involved. Sad really, would have loved the first two albums.

WESTLOWER
25-10-2017, 08:38
I picked up the Abbey Road half speed mastered John Martyn - Solid Air
I have the original and it's literally stunning in comparison to the original.
If you see them. pick them up. I think it was £25, which in comparison to other premium pressings (MFSL, Music Matters, Analogue Productions..all £50 +)
is a no brainer. Even relatively poor new vinyl reissues are up at £15 to £20 these days, the majority of which IMHO are pretty bad.
Amazing mastering work, produced with passion.:thumbsup:

paulf-2007
03-11-2017, 21:35
Just bought supertramp crime of the century, my original is in bad shape from my late night drunken teen years. I'm hoping the half speed mastering will be even better. It's a Japanese pressing, I heard the roxy music albums were presses in Czech Republic and are rubbish, so best to look out for that. I always ask where they were pressed since hearing that.

Voodoochile
03-11-2017, 21:50
Hello,
Yes my original Crime of the Century was bought `74 or`75 so has been played to death, I bought the speakers corner re-issue 10 years or so ago and it`s really great
Cheers

montesquieu
03-11-2017, 21:56
If you see them. pick them up. I think it was £25, which in comparison to other premium pressings (MFSL, Music Matters, Analogue Productions..all £50 +)
is a no brainer. Even relatively poor new vinyl reissues are up at £15 to £20 these days, the majority of which IMHO are pretty bad.

I have this too, it's excellent.

struth
03-11-2017, 21:58
i have it too. got it from hmv if memory serves

moodybuilder
04-11-2017, 08:09
i also have this version which i agree is very good also heard good reports on their re issue of exile on main street,

A.Grail
04-11-2017, 09:49
I found the Abbey Rd Solid air to sound compressed in A/B comparison with a NM 1st pressing.

speedracer
04-11-2017, 21:28

Indeed they are, I have the original releases of course but these reissues are essential IMO.

martinjohn308
05-11-2017, 10:52
Hi all,

I bought the half speed mastering of Supertramp crime of the century in maybe 1980 or so. An excellent version very dynamic low surface noise.

Regards,

Martin

Voodoochile
05-11-2017, 11:32
Has anyone bought the Abbey Road half speed mastering of Free`s Fire and Water or Cream`s Disraeli Gears and if so , any feedback.
Chhers

Bigman80
05-11-2017, 11:37
Has anyone bought the Abbey Road half speed mastering of Free`s Fire and Water or Cream`s Disraeli Gears and if so , any feedback.
ChhersNo but I too am considering them.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

WESTLOWER
05-11-2017, 11:48
If you like the originals you will Love the reissues!

Qwin
05-11-2017, 12:22
I found the Abbey Rd Solid air to sound compressed in A/B comparison with a NM 1st pressing.

NM ? Wasat!

paulf-2007
05-11-2017, 13:17
NM ? Wasat!
Near mint condition. Those descriptions are bollocks, if a record doesn't play without clicks and pops it's not even excellent let alone near mint or mint. I've sent back records that dont play perfectly and are described as excellent.

struth
05-11-2017, 13:18
a lot of new records do that because they are not clean, even if they look ok. can still be mint tho

paulf-2007
05-11-2017, 18:38
That is after I cleaned them.

WESTLOWER
05-11-2017, 19:22

Really !!?! Not so I have an incredibly good original and have played it to many people with the half speed reissue A/B
Can't believe you came to that conclusion! Each to their own.

farflungstar
05-11-2017, 19:45
I recently bought an album described as mint that sounded like a bonfire. The seller said I was lying and I should have have returned it but couldn't be arsed going all the way to the post office and going through the drama of shipping over seas.

I have the Fleetwood Mac half speed Rumours and it's superb.

WESTLOWER
06-11-2017, 09:32
+1 Adrian

Phil Lawton
06-11-2017, 14:20
I recently bought an album described as mint that sounded like a bonfire. The seller said I was lying and I should have have returned it but couldn't be arsed going all the way to the post office and going through the drama of shipping over seas.

A very similar experience - it wasn't by any chance a Discogs seller in Brazil, was it?

A.Grail
07-11-2017, 07:32
Really !!?! Not so I have an incredibly good original and have played it to many people with the half speed reissue A/B
Can't believe you came to that conclusion! Each to their own.

I'm fortunate / cursed enough to have been a record dealer for 20+ years. Over time we've been lucky enough to buy in some very nice collections and met some interesting people. One of these was a distributor for Island. My copy came from him, it's not a rare LP and we've had dozens of A1//B1 copies. The difference being this copy was unplayed. If you're ever down in Devon Pop over for a cup of tea and a listen. The 1st pressing has more air (pardon the pun), hence the comment the Abbey rd sounds compressed in comparison.

WESTLOWER
07-11-2017, 08:02
I'm fortunate / cursed enough to have been a record dealer for 20+ years. Over time we've been lucky enough to buy in some very nice collections and met some interesting people. One of these was a distributor for Island. My copy came from him, it's not a rare LP and we've had dozens of A1//B1 copies. The difference being this copy was unplayed. If you're ever down in Devon Pop over for a cup of tea and a listen. The 1st pressing has more air (pardon the pun), hence the comment the Abbey rd sounds compressed in comparison.
Ok i value your opinion, I've also had enough copies of this title, a couple near mint over the 35 years of collecting.
Not sure an unplayed copy will give anymore air to the cut, but as I said each to each their own. I certainly don't need to come to Devon to do a comparison, but thanks for the offer and for the hot beverage. I'm pretty sure the chaps who cut these reissues know what they are doing too.

A.Grail
07-11-2017, 20:35
Ok i value your opinion, I've also had enough copies of this title, a couple near mint over the 35 years of collecting.
Not sure an unplayed copy will give anymore air to the cut, but as I said each to each their own. I certainly don't need to come to Devon to do a comparison, but thanks for the offer and for the hot beverage. I'm pretty sure the chaps who cut these reissues know what they are doing too.

I worked for transformation mastering and editing in the early 90's. Many of the elements of Analogue reproduction are dying arts. I appreciate the abbey Rd pressings are digitized. Personally I'm tend to prefer true analogue processing. I am only aware of one company in the UK who work to the old standards with the original all tube equipment and their output is exceptional
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhMuIqa9Dno

paulf-2007
09-11-2017, 18:51
Well I picked up my copy of supertramp crime of the century from mobile fidelity music lab, half speed mastering. Technically speaking....stonkingly good. Now I'm not going to wax lyrical on a first listen but if you're one of the many who claim to like the music before the kit, then don't buy it, 'cause it's incredible and I found myself hearing clean precise controlled bass amongst everything else that's going on. It's that good it makes everything sound broken.

montesquieu
09-11-2017, 19:25
Well I picked up my copy of supertramp crime of the century from mobile fidelity music lab, half speed mastering. Technically speaking....stonkingly good. Now I'm not going to wax lyrical on a first listen but if you're one of the many who claim to like the music before the kit, then don't buy it, 'cause it's incredible and I found myself hearing clean precise controlled bass amongst everything else that's going on. It's that good it makes everything sound broken.

Funnily enough this thread provoked me to pick up the Abbey Road Free - Fire & Water which I just stuck on this evening. As with the Abbey Road Solid Air it's stunning.

I also have an early pressing of Solid Air though it's seriously well played ... and not in any way superior to the Abbey Road version, or 'less compressed' (the turnover/roll-off curve equalisation that has allowed bass wavelengths to fit on a disc since then 1920s is a form of compression).

I refuse to be sniffy about digital mastering, a record is either well-mastered, or it isn't.

Bksabath
17-11-2017, 13:50
I have Fire and water

Bottom end is pretty good but to me the guitars sounds compressed and distorted space and details gone as well

I am comparing it whit the old ILPS9120
The run off in the old one is about a third in size of the Abbey rip off

I am somewhat not convinced of the quality of this issue the £3.50 worn second hand original sound batterer
Now I have to find a mint old copy of the old one:doh:

IMO Abbey road half speed mastering are not worth the money

paulf-2007
17-11-2017, 17:06
The supertramp is so good I bought two more today, fleetwood Mac rumours, supposedly belonged to a Canadian reviewer and not played much, didn't hold out much hope to find one but persevererence pays off. Puccini madam butterfly, never been an opera fan but listening to this on Spotify I find it's very good and something I can enjoy. Now waiting for them to arrive.

farflungstar
17-11-2017, 19:25
I've just received a few albums, including a remastered (by Vangelis) Earth and I have to say it's obvious that the top end has been tweaked but at the expense of ambience. It isn't terrible, but I'd much prefer the original as from memory it was better balanced.

paulf-2007
18-11-2017, 08:31
I've just received a few albums, including a remastered (by Vangelis) Earth and I have to say it's obvious that the top end has been tweaked but at the expense of ambience. It isn't terrible, but I'd much prefer the original as from memory it was better balanced.
That's remastered and not half speed mastered Adrian?

farflungstar
18-11-2017, 08:47
Ahh yes, my apologies, wrong thread! ... Wine...

paulf-2007
29-11-2017, 15:43
Fleetwood Mac rumours arrived yesterday, had a listen today and it's very good, bums a bit sore mind from the customs charges. Couldn't find one in uk so bought the only one I could find in USA, life is too short and all that.

Phil Bishop
29-11-2017, 16:14

Just playing a copy - stunning! :-)

wee tee cee
29-11-2017, 16:21
Adam I bought one aswell im a big JM fan......fantastic sounding bit of plastic.

Bksabath
01-12-2017, 11:47
On the spinner right now
Miles Sketches of Spain MFSL 1-375
10 out of 10 :mex:

WESTLOWER
01-12-2017, 12:22
Adam I bought one aswell im a big JM fan......fantastic sounding bit of plastic.

:cool:...seems we are getting the thumbs up for the Abbey Road Half Speed Mastering reissues, contrary to a few other's findings!
A very enjoyable record.

Bksabath
01-12-2017, 13:43
:cool:...seems we are getting the thumbs up for the Abbey Road Half Speed Mastering reissues, contrary to a few other's findings!
A very enjoyable record.

I would say thumbs up for same of the Abbey Road.....
I have returned the Free fire and water as is IMO a really bad copy of a CD

paulf-2007
03-01-2018, 21:03
May as well keep this thread going. Bought another half speed mastered record from the Canadian reviewers collection, Bruce Cockburn dancing in the dragons jaws, excellent, I like every track.
I was looking on Steve Hoffmans forum and people were asking what the 10 best sounding half speed mastered records were. Supertramp crime of the century came up several times and also dire straits first album, I'm ashamed to say I'd never heard it, had a listen on Spotify, really very good so have bought a half speed mastered copy, waiting for it arrive.
I know some vinyl is very expensive, but, if we spend thousands on a set up, why not buy good vinyl.
Not me but some spend 4 grand on a cart ffs, then go to charity shops looking for vinyl.

struth
03-01-2018, 23:05
Very true. Don't skimp on the vinyl

Phil Lawton
04-01-2018, 11:03
Received the half-speed Abbey Rd of "Here Come The Warm Jets" this week.

Played the original to death since it came out, but the difference between that and this newer version is remarkable. One of those "So you think you know every wrinkle and nuance of this album? Think again..." moments.

Recommended.

Got my hands on Herbie Hancock's "Head Hunters" 2 x 45 rpm reissue last month, too...another belter.

paulf-2007
30-11-2018, 17:03
Visited a mate on Wednesday who has moved his horns out and using his 57's with hypex power amps and very nice project pre/phonostage. I took a couple of half speed mastered albums, dire straits first album and supertramp crime of the century. He hadn't heard any half speed mastered vinyl before and was impressed to the point he is now looking for some.

montesquieu
30-11-2018, 18:00
May as well keep this thread going. Bought another half speed mastered record from the Canadian reviewers collection, Bruce Cockburn dancing in the dragons jaws, excellent, I like every track.
I was looking on Steve Hoffmans forum and people were asking what the 10 best sounding half speed mastered records were. Supertramp crime of the century came up several times and also dire straits first album, I'm ashamed to say I'd never heard it, had a listen on Spotify, really very good so have bought a half speed mastered copy, waiting for it arrive.
I know some vinyl is very expensive, but, if we spend thousands on a set up, why not buy good vinyl.
Not me but some spend 4 grand on a cart ffs, then go to charity shops looking for vinyl.

Charity shops? I do that all the time. (Well, Oxfam in Henley at least - often overpriced but I often find gems in the Early Music section).

Now, spend four grand on a cart and play Supertramp? That does qualify as Crime of the Century :doh:

Barry
30-11-2018, 18:14
Charity shops? I do that all the time. (Well, Oxfam in Henley at least - often overpriced but I often find gems in the Early Music section).

Moi aussi. Agree some Oxfam branches are hugely overpriced (well certainly mine in Chelmsford is: automatic £15 price tag on any Decca SXL regardless of vinyl condition, and most CDs are priced at £4), but several Oxfam branches elsewhere (including London) are more sensibly priced.

I once spoke to the person who prices up the wares in my local Oxfam, who told me they used ebay as a guide. I suggested that was not the best way of assessing value, but didn't push it as I had just picked up a boxed set on EMI of Beethoven string quartets in excellent condition that had just been recently priced by him and I didn't want him to change his mind!

Haselsh1
30-11-2018, 19:32
I have a Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab half speed of Steelye Span's All Around My Hat that like the rest of my vinyl is up for disposal and the sound quality is bloody astonishing. Only been played into double figures, owned from new and on some weird translucent vinyl. If this is how half speed sounds generally then I'm all for it, well I would be but I'm moving away from vinyl replay.

;)

struth
30-11-2018, 19:39
I have a Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab half speed of Steelye Span's All Around My Hat that like the rest of my vinyl is up for disposal and the sound quality is bloody astonishing. Only been played into double figures, owned from new and on some weird translucent vinyl. If this is how half speed sounds generally then I'm all for it, well I would be but I'm moving away from vinyl replay.

;)

Got an original cut of that album. Its very good too so guessing the HSM is better

Si74
30-11-2018, 22:15
I have a half speed Crime of the Century bought more than 30 years ago. Remember it as being stunning on my modest system. Saw them live four times. The first being in the local Community Centre where they near caused a riot as they had a sax player and the 'locals' thought this was jazz (how they knew about jazz escapes me).
Pulled it out not long ago, listened to a few tracks and thought, my taste has changed in 30 odd years and stuck it back in it's sleeve.
Also a half speed of Avalon, as above, lovely then but not my taste now.
May try the Solid Air as my copy is threadbare and he was a huge influence on my taste in music.

Also have a couple of what were very expensive classicals at the time, can't recall the label but they sounded sublime and probably still would if I could find them:-)
Luxurious covers and if I recall near 30 quid 30 odd years ago, must dig them out. One was Wagner as it got played to death after watching Apocalypse Now:lol: Think they were direct cuts as opposed to half speed masters.

paulf-2007
01-12-2018, 10:11
Fortunately we are all different, John Martyn doesn't do it for me but supertramp still does:)

martinjohn308
05-12-2018, 09:47
I own about 20 half speed mastered LP’s which I bought in the early 80’s, these come to mind, Supertramp “ Crime of the Century “, Dire Straits 1st album, Carole King “Tapestry “, Beatles “ Abbey Road “, Pink Floyd “ Dark side of the moon “ to name a few and a few dozen Japanese pressings. I find the half speed are just different mainly surface noise is a lot lower.

Regards,

Martin

magiccarpetride
05-12-2018, 15:45
I have a half speed Crime of the Century bought more than 30 years ago. Remember it as being stunning on my modest system. Saw them live four times. The first being in the local Community Centre where they near caused a riot as they had a sax player and the 'locals' thought this was jazz (how they knew about jazz escapes me).

This was a near 'beverage through the nose' moment! :lol:

magiccarpetride
05-12-2018, 15:54
Interesting article on half speed mastering here (https://www.whathifi.com/features/holy-grail-vinyl-art-half-speed-mastering)

Yes, interesting. I have some half speed LPs, some direct cut LPs, and anything in between.

In my experience, it's very hard to generalize. Some half speed LPs sound great, some don't. After years of listening, I am now at the point of thinking that it really is on a case-to-case basis.

I have some old LPs that are just your boring mass produced run-of-the-mill pressings that sound stunning. I also have some pricey 'audiophile' pressings that sound like crap.

There is something to be said about that tired old urban myth called 'hot stampers'. No one seems to know the exact science behind hot stampers, but boy if you stumble upon one, you'll KNOW!

Yes, I was lucky and stumbled upon some hot stampers, which I'm jealously guarding in my collection. It's one of those listening experiences where you think that the music had just come to life and is dancing around in your room. Unforgettable.

But that's the magic of vinyl. No one really knows what's going on in there...

paulf-2007
05-12-2018, 16:46
I have to agree, half speed mastering depends on the quality of the original master tape and how the half speed mastering process was carried out. Some are amazing and some crap. I also have a double album that plays at 45rpm, that's very nice I tell myself because it was very expensive

Dr Winston O Boogie
06-12-2018, 06:43
I have the Simon & Garfunkle- Bridge Over Troubled Water- one step. Now that sounds amazing.

Also quite a few Abbey Road half speed which sounds excellent.

Bksabath
06-12-2018, 10:31
I have the Simon & Garfunkle- Bridge Over Troubled Water- one step. Now that sounds amazing.

Also quite a few Abbey Road half speed which sounds excellent.

I have big favour to ask

Can you all in general have a look at the side or back of your records and post the numbers

This is out of topic as it its a 45 RPM and not a half speed master Charlie Bird number CC5 8002
It makes so easy to find the right version, just paste number on like of discogs search and the right one came up
PS do not play this record as the third track will break your speakers :eyebrows:

Dr Winston O Boogie
06-12-2018, 19:56
I have big favour to ask

Can you all in general have a look at the side or back of your records and post the numbers

This is out of topic as it its a 45 RPM and not a half speed master Charlie Bird number CC5 8002
It makes so easy to find the right version, just paste number on like of discogs search and the right one came up
PS do not play this record as the third track will break your speakers :eyebrows:

I am not quite sure what you are asking. Do you mean the one step of the Simon & Garfunkle?

Bksabath
07-12-2018, 07:59
I am not quite sure what you are asking. Do you mean the one step of the Simon & Garfunkle?
Yes please it will make it easy to find the right one

And all the other numbers for all other records that get a mention any where in the forum for the past present and future post

take you only a minute as you got the covers right there YES?

paulf-2007
07-12-2018, 17:24
Yes, interesting. I have some half speed LPs, some direct cut LPs, and anything in between.

In my experience, it's very hard to generalize. Some half speed LPs sound great, some don't. After years of listening, I am now at the point of thinking that it really is on a case-to-case basis.

I have some old LPs that are just your boring mass produced run-of-the-mill pressings that sound stunning. I also have some pricey 'audiophile' pressings that sound like crap.

There is something to be said about that tired old urban myth called 'hot stampers'. No one seems to know the exact science behind hot stampers, but boy if you stumble upon one, you'll KNOW!

Yes, I was lucky and stumbled upon some hot stampers, which I'm jealously guarding in my collection. It's one of those listening experiences where you think that the music had just come to life and is dancing around in your room. Unforgettable.

But that's the magic of vinyl. No one really knows what's going on in there...
Yes interesting article, most of it I had read before. Author talked about Brian Eno's Apollo album, I had a listen on Spotify and although it's pleasant sounding, it's hardly difficult to play and has no tune on any of the tracks I listened to. Ok a bit off topic but I had to have my say on it:)

Pete The Cat
08-12-2018, 11:44
I bought Deep Purple's "Fireball" half speed which was released on 22nd November. By now I must have put Ian Paice's children and grandchildren through school after buying multiple copies of their '70s albums.

It's three dimensional compared with the somewhat flat Friday Music reissue and without the compression of the 25th anniversary CD. Still about the same as the original vinyl, mind. It's a very well recorded and produced record given that it was released in '71, sounding better than many of today's albums.

Pete

Dr Winston O Boogie
09-12-2018, 07:12
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvrUQiZh_qc

Bksabath
09-12-2018, 12:14
If you believe at that bullshit you have to listen to the Free Fire and Water Rip off
I don't have the catalog number of the Abbey Road as I have returned it
but I I said on this forum the old Catalog ILPS 9120 sound much better

If they did the best they could why the run off at the end of the album is so huge?

Again, to you all in general could you please post the catalog numbers it does not take much effort as you got the album there, that is if you really got it like :D

Dr Winston O Boogie
09-12-2018, 19:47
If you believe at that bullshit you have to listen to the Free Fire and Water Rip off
I don't have the catalog number of the Abbey Road as I have returned it
but I I said on this forum the old Catalog ILPS 9120 sound much better

If they did the best they could why the run off at the end of the album is so huge?

Again, to you all in general could you please post the catalog numbers it does not take much effort as you got the album there, that is if you really got it like :D

As soon as I can get near my copy I will post numbers.

Free Fire & Water halfspeed sounds jaw droppingly good?

Bksabath
10-12-2018, 05:49
The Abbey Road Fire and Water half speed sound like just a copy of a bad CD and the certificate is not good to use as toilet paper

paulf-2007
10-12-2018, 16:25
I bought Deep Purple's "Fireball" half speed which was released on 22nd November. By now I must have put Ian Paice's children and grandchildren through school after buying multiple copies of their '70s albums.

It's three dimensional compared with the somewhat flat Friday Music reissue and without the compression of the 25th anniversary CD. Still about the same as the original vinyl, mind. It's a very well recorded and produced record given that it was released in '71, sounding better than many of today's albums.

Pete
What a drummer, one of my favourites. I've been pondering buying fireball, may leave it until after the Christmas madness.

Stratmangler
10-12-2018, 17:42
The Abbey Road Fire and Water half speed sound like just a copy of a bad CD and the certificate is not good to use as toilet paper

You've been on (and on, and on....) about this at great length.

Abbey Road studios worked with the master they were given to work with.
They were not given a stereo master tape. They were given the master files (ie WAV files) to work with. Abbey Road Studios did not do any transfers from tape for the project.
Someone else did all of the work before Abbey Road Studios got hold of the master files. The record company that has the rights to the material, and the surviving band members are happy with the mastering work that was handed over to Abbey Road Studios to be cut to lacquer.

The lacquers were cut at half speed using the methods outlined.
The certificate does not make any great claim about anything.

https://i.postimg.cc/y1zZgtwx/Free-half-speed-certificate.jpg

You should read this, paying particular attention to questions 4 & 5 https://shop.abbeyroad.com/Music/Vinyl/Fire-And-Water/4ZB70CAC0KX

Dr Winston O Boogie
10-12-2018, 20:10
You've been on (and on, and on....) about this at great length.

Abbey Road studios worked with the master they were given to work with.
They were not given a stereo master tape. They were given the master files (ie WAV files) to work with. Abbey Road Studios did not do any transfers from tape for the project.
Someone else did all of the work before Abbey Road Studios got hold of the master files. The record company that has the rights to the material, and the surviving band members are happy with the mastering work that was handed over to Abbey Road Studios to be cut to lacquer.

The lacquers were cut at half speed using the methods outlined.
The certificate does not make any great claim about anything.

https://i.postimg.cc/y1zZgtwx/Free-half-speed-certificate.jpg

You should read this, paying particular attention to questions 4 & 5 https://shop.abbeyroad.com/Music/Vinyl/Fire-And-Water/4ZB70CAC0KX

I knew I had seen that artical somewhere, thanks Chris.:)

Stratmangler
10-12-2018, 21:59
I knew I had seen that artical somewhere, thanks Chris.:)

You're welcome :)

One where they had an original stereo master tape was John Martyn's Solid Air, which IMO is stunning
https://shop.abbeyroad.com/Music/Vinyl/Solid-Air/4ZB80CAC0KX

Bksabath
10-12-2018, 22:32
Transform difficult to cut Bla bla bla there isn't any on a flipping wav file

Master of highest quality ? explain the huge run off

The certificate paper is to thick and quite rough

Solid air may be a good one

Fire an water is not

end of story for me

Stratmangler
10-12-2018, 22:43
Transform difficult to cut Bla bla bla there isn't any on a flipping wav file

Master of highest quality ? explain the huge run off

The certificate paper is to thick and quite rough

Solid air may be a good one

Fire an water is not

end of story for me

You're adding lots of words and alleged claims that just aren't being made.
And the bit about "The certificate paper is too thick and quite rough" is, quite frankly, a somewhat childish and petty comment.
We've heard you lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of times moaning about it - it's about time you moved on with it.

We get that you don't like it.
You don't have to go on about it ad nauseum.

Bksabath
11-12-2018, 12:24
DO you work for Abbey road ?

This is the only thing that would explain you ganging up on me

What is wrong whit asking you or any whit a bit of brain to explain the huge run off ?

I am only following on as it is polite to reply to post directed at me

As You say I put forward the FACT that the fire and water is a turd in nice packaging and the Abbey road is only a marketing exercise
It is a FACT that an old original copy sound much better

Bksabath
11-12-2018, 12:46
PS I can copy and paste as well as you do no brain required for that
A New Exile on Main Street "Using the Original Analog Master Tape..."? Doubtful
Michael Fremer (https://theartofsound.net/writer/46615) | Dec 19, 2015

image: https://www.analogplanet.com/images/styles/600_wide/public/1215EX.jpg
https://theartofsound.net/images/styles/600_wide/public/1215EX.jpgA recent sales blurb from UMe's "The Sound of Vinyl" website (http://thesoundofvinyl.com/) reads: "Using the original analog master tapes this artisan process results in cuts that have superior high frequency response (treble) and very solid and stable stereo images. In short, a very high quality master that helps to create a very high quality record."
Furthermore it states that "Six iconic album releases have been exclusively re-mastered for vinyl at the world famous Abbey Road Studios to bring you a new level of depth and clarity. These records have never sounded so good!"
Since, to the best of my knowledge, Abbey Road's 1/2 speed mastering set-up used by Miles Showell cuts exclusively from 96/24 files, something is definitely wrong here.
First, it's obvious that an advertising copy writer has gotten his hands on a list of audiophile vernacular and he (or she) is sprinkling it liberally and thoughtlessly.
The claim made here is that the original master tapes have been used to produce these half speed mastered cuts. Is that true? I very much doubt it. I think what's being used are digital files sourced at some point from the tapes. That would be very different from what's being claimed. Different enough in my opinion, that if what I think is happening here is true, it constitutes at best deception and at worst outright fraud.
Of course it could be that a clueless copywriter is just carelessly spewing, but regardless, the company is responsible.
I reached out to Mr. Showell, who is of course in a very tight spot here, but I've yet to hear back and I wouldn't blame Showell for not responding. Why should he risk his job for something he had nothing to do with?.
I bet what's being used here are 96/24 files made at some point from the master tapes. Which files? And made by whom? Are these the same files used to cut lacquers for a truly horrible, dynamically squashed Exile On Mainstream box set issued a few years ago? If so, it doesn't matter if the cut is 1/2 speed, full speed, double time, 800x or whatever. It will still suck.
It's time for consumers to put their collective feet down and stop buying this stuff. We must demand where possible, all-analog cuts from master tapes. Period. I understand why Queen did what it did for the box set I haven't heard mastered by Bob Ludwig. There were reasons. Here? I doubt there are any legitimate reasons.
Until we get an Exile on Main Street cut from the tapes and without dynamic compression, we should not be supporting this kind of project—even if it was truthfully, not deceptively marketed. That goes for the entire series in my opinion.It is sad to see the great Abbey Road Studios name get muddied.

image: https://www.analogplanet.com/sites/all/themes/hometech/images/s.gif
https://theartofsound.net/sites/all/themes/hometech/images/s.gif

image: https://www.analogplanet.com/sites/all/themes/hometech/images/s.gif
https://theartofsound.net/sites/all/themes/hometech/images/s.gif

Read more at https://www.analogplanet.com/content/new-exile-main-street-%C2%A0using-original-analog-master-tape-doubtful#ogPsYehqypdJTrOo.99

Stratmangler
11-12-2018, 15:42
DO you work for Abbey road ?

This is the only thing that would explain you ganging up on me

What is wrong whit asking you or any whit a bit of brain to explain the huge run off ?

I am only following on as it is polite to reply to post directed at me

As You say I put forward the FACT that the fire and water is a turd in nice packaging and the Abbey road is only a marketing exercise
It is a FACT that an old original copy sound much better

I'll answer your questions and points in order.

No, I do not work for Abbey Road.

Ganging up on you?
All one of me?
Not at all. I am fed up with you repeating the same thing again like a damaged record. You went quiet on the subject, and then up you pop and start all over again. It's tedious behaviour and it's needless.

The runoff thing is interesting one.
The original lacquers will have been cut on a manual lathe, and it was practise back in the day to give sufficient pitch to the cutter head so as not to cause problems with the adjacent groove wall. It's a relatively short record at 35 minutes, so the pitch could be set to give a touch more space. That on its own would account for the difference. It's also not necessarily ideal, because the possibility on inner groove distortion raises its ugly head, but that's a HiFi issue, not a production one.

Since then cutting computers have been developed to control the pitch, and the runoff space became marginally larger.
The half speed lacquers had the advantage of the cutting computer, and the fact that the cutting head stylus doesn't get so hot in the half speed process would also improve things.
That's why there appears to be less playing area. There isn't any less playing area, but that's the appearance. The stylus covers roughly the same distance as the original, and with less of a tendency towards inner groove distortion.

As for the "facts" you put forward, you're fortunate enough to have an original pressing. It may well be better sounding, because it's been done early in the life of the stamper, and from an early generation production master tape.

My standard copy has a barcode on the sleeve, so that dates the production to the 1980s. It will have had a digital delay line used to control the cutter head's movement, and the master tape would have been a later generation copy. It doesn't sound great.
The half speed master sounds way, way better.

You never know, I may someday be fortunate enough to hear what a nice, clean, early pressing of Fire And Water sounds like, but until then the best I have heard to date is this half speed master.

Stratmangler
11-12-2018, 16:30
This is quite an informative interview https://hifipig.com/interview-with-miles-showell-of-abbey-road/
As is this https://www.udiscovermusic.com/halfspeed/

Dr Winston O Boogie
11-12-2018, 16:46
This is quite an informative interview https://hifipig.com/interview-with-miles-showell-of-abbey-road/
As is this https://www.udiscovermusic.com/halfspeed/

As I said my Free album sounds fantastic as does Tubular Bells, The White Album is just stunning also IMO.

Stratmangler
11-12-2018, 16:52
As I said my Free album sounds fantastic as does Tubular Bells, The White Album is just stunning also IMO.

I have the CD of The White Album 2018, and it's great.
The vinyl is too expensive for me :(

struth
11-12-2018, 17:03
I have the CD of The White Album 2018, and it's great.
The vinyl is too expensive for me :(

yup, me tool... i play cd more now anyway but the vinyl will likely appreciate eventually...maybe not in my lifetime tho.:) the cd is excellent

paulf-2007
12-12-2018, 15:42
I was watching the deep purple fireball half speed mastered on eBay and it came up ended out of stock. Next day it was back on, I got a bit itchy and bought one, it came today and there is not one reference to half speed mastered on the vinyl, sleeve or cover. Have contacted the seller .....

Stratmangler
12-12-2018, 15:58
I was watching the deep purple fireball half speed mastered on eBay and it came up ended out of stock. Next day it was back on, I got a bit itchy and bought one, it came today and there is not one reference to half speed mastered on the vinyl, sleeve or cover. Have contacted the seller .....

I have a copy, and there is no external reference to 1/2 speed mastering on the sleeve or packaging, not even a sticky label on the cellophane.
There is reference to it in the deadwax runoff area.
And the cut sounds excellent, by far the best pressing of the vinyl record I have ever had.

There was also a 1/2 speed cut of In Rock too, which is the same, no external signs, but the scribble is there in the deadwax.
I have a copy of that too, and it is the best pressing of that vinyl record I have ever had.

Both albums have been cut from digital masters.

Out of interest, what's on the sticky label on the packaging?

paulf-2007
12-12-2018, 22:38
I have a copy, and there is no external reference to 1/2 speed mastering on the sleeve or packaging, not even a sticky label on the cellophane.
There is reference to it in the deadwax runoff area.
And the cut sounds excellent, by far the best pressing of the vinyl record I have ever had.

There was also a 1/2 speed cut of In Rock too, which is the same, no external signs, but the scribble is there in the deadwax.
I have a copy of that too, and it is the best pressing of that vinyl record I have ever had.

Both albums have been cut from digital masters.

Out of interest, what's on the sticky label on the packaging?
Seller said the same, i checked and it is etched in the centre. Will have a listen tomorrow. Haven't been in the listening room for months so heating on in the morning and kit warmed up.

Dr Winston O Boogie
20-12-2018, 10:28
Seller said the same, i checked and it is etched in the centre. Will have a listen tomorrow. Haven't been in the listening room for months so heating on in the morning and kit warmed up.

How did it sound?

Dr Winston O Boogie
29-12-2018, 10:05
I picked up The Rolling Stones-Exile On Mainstreet, yesterday from HMV :(, it sounds fantastic. :stalks:

Bksabath
30-12-2018, 11:38
Could you post the catalog numbers please
There are only 250 version of this title #
Based on this and on the presumption that, keeping on topic, you refer to the half speed Abbey road I have already posted same comments about this

I was going to add to that but then I remembered of a book "Flowers For Algernon " so I say no more :D