PDA

View Full Version : Ortofon Quintet Black

Ian7633
23-10-2017, 16:04
I've been enjoying the Ortofon 2M Black for quite some time but felt a change coming on. I'd been looking for a Benz Micro Glider for a while when Steve ( Curuthersesq) of this parish offered me his very low hours Quintet Black and knowing nothing much about this cartridge I did some research and was pleasantly surprised by the positive reports.
So, duely purchased and installed I set about setting it up. After the very fiddly 2M the Quintet is much more straightforward and being basically rectangular in shape using the mirrored protector got the angles sorted easily. VTA took a bit longer but nothing like the 2M.
How does it sound?, it has all the qualities of the 2M Black but with an added sense of space and air, a very delicate enhancement of 2M 's excellent detail. I've also noticed less surface noise, surprising really as both cartridges use a nude shibatta tip. It's at the low bass it really scores highly though, while in no way does it sound muddy or boomy the bass extension is quite dramatic, even really heavy dub reggae is clear and precise. It works well with classical music too, Holst's The Planets sounds both moody and lively in all the right places.
Summing up at less than £700 new it is definitely punching above it's weight and worth considering if you're thinking of upgrading. I just want to hear a Cadenza Black now.....although it's a bit out of my price range at the moment. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171023/cd13375cdd7a7bdb1f079c7270d1fac7.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171023/71ef082b7d08549b8db46c15f4ce179c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

brian2957
23-10-2017, 16:20
Fantastic write up Ian , a very informative and enjoyable read . Still outa my league though :)

Ian7633
23-10-2017, 16:29
Fantastic write up Ian , a very informative and enjoyable read . Still outa my league though :)

Thanks Brian, I'm really enjoying vinyl again. They do come up used occasionally but not too often.

brian2957
23-10-2017, 16:32
Aye , just got back into vinyl myself this year . However , I have a good digital setup and I'm still on the fence regarding which system to move forward with . A really good cart like this would probably tip the balance in favour of vinyl , just can't afford it at the moment .

Bigman80
23-10-2017, 16:34
I've been enjoying the Ortofon 2M Black for quite some time but felt a change coming on. I'd been looking for a Benz Micro Glider for a while when Steve ( Curuthersesq) of this parish offered me his very low hours Quintet Black and knowing nothing much about this cartridge I did some research and was pleasantly surprised by the positive reports.
So, duely purchased and installed I set about setting it up. After the very fiddly 2M the Quintet is much more straightforward and being basically rectangular in shape using the mirrored protector got the angles sorted easily. VTA took a bit longer but nothing like the 2M.
How does it sound?, it has all the qualities of the 2M Black but with an added sense of space and air, a very delicate enhancement of 2M 's excellent detail. I've also noticed less surface noise, surprising really as both cartridges use a nude shibatta tip. It's at the low bass it really scores highly though, while in no way does it sound muddy or boomy the bass extension is quite dramatic, even really heavy dub reggae is clear and precise. It works well with classical music too, Holst's The Planets sounds both moody and lively in all the right places.
Summing up at less than £700 new it is definitely punching above it's weight and worth considering if you're thinking of upgrading. I just want to hear a Cadenza Black now.....although it's a bit out of my price range at the moment. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171023/cd13375cdd7a7bdb1f079c7270d1fac7.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171023/71ef082b7d08549b8db46c15f4ce179c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using TapatalkWow, seeing that TT and arm really pulled my heart strings mate. Such a fantastic combo. Word of advice, make sure the TT is well isolated. It had a tendency to boom a little on my shelf and only now with the SP10 have I realised how important proper isolation is.

The cartridge looks the business. I bet it sounds great. Good times.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Ian7633
23-10-2017, 16:41
Wow, seeing that TT and arm really pulled my heart strings mate. Such a fantastic combo. Word of advice, make sure the TT is well isolated. It had a tendency to boom a little on my shelf and only now with the SP10 have I realised how important proper isolation is.

The cartridge looks the business. I bet it sounds great. Good times.

You're on the money re isolation. The Toshiba sits on a 50mm birch ply and deadening sheet platform which in turn sits on oak cone feet. The whole lot rests on a double shelved Target rack on floor spikes. This all works well, even my LP12 didn't jump when I walked past ha.

Bigman80
23-10-2017, 17:09
You're on the money re isolation. The Toshiba sits on a 50mm birch ply and deadening sheet platform which in turn sits on oak cone feet. The whole lot rests on a double shelved Target rack on floor spikes. This all works well, even my LP12 didn't jump when I walked past ha.Lol, good stuff mate. I only wish I'd known it for the last couple of years hahaha.

Jimbo
23-10-2017, 17:50
Nice write up Ian, you have now added another cartridge along with the ZYX and ATPTGii to my list to consider :rolleyes:

Bigman80
23-10-2017, 17:54
Nice write up Ian, you have now added another cartridge along with the ZYX and ATPTGii to my list to consider :rolleyes:I've got a "for sale" AT33PTGII here on loan at the minute. What a fantastic cartridge for the money. Seriously transparent and very very detailed. My ZYX R50 BLOOM had more presence in my system so I'm keeping the ZYx. Close run decision though.

Jimbo
23-10-2017, 18:03
I've got a "for sale" AT33PTGII here on loan at the minute. What a fantastic cartridge for the money. Seriously transparent and very very detailed. My ZYX R50 BLOOM had more presence in my system so I'm keeping the ZYx. Close run decision though.

Woah Oli your running along the same line of thought as me. You just need to try a Decca now! When you visit you can hear a 2M black and I will lend you my Decca to listen too!!:)

Bigman80
23-10-2017, 18:19
Woah Oli your running along the same line of thought as me. You just need to try a Decca now! When you visit you can hear a 2M black and I will lend you my Decca to listen too!!:)[emoji50][emoji50][emoji50][emoji50][emoji50] a Decca on loan!!!!!!!! I feel a bit sick with excitement [emoji50][emoji50][emoji50]

karma67
23-10-2017, 18:55
Ha ha your in for a treat!

Bigman80
23-10-2017, 19:00
Ha ha your in for a treat!I'm in for expense hahaha. I'm genuinely worried I'm gonna love it. Can't pass up the opportunity though. [emoji857][emoji857][emoji857]

RobbieGong
23-10-2017, 19:13
Lovely, quality cart the Quintet B.

Was my first mc after the fab 2M Black.

Can sound a little less weighty to the ears in some systems, probs due to it being maybe a little more accurate - refined , coupled with less output than the 2MB.
Also if it hit a bit harder \ dynamic it would be too close to the £1850 Cadenza Black and Ortofon know that wouldn't make sense.

I paid £649, they're a little more now but still a bit of a bargain considering.

Very detailed like all the Ortofon Shibata clad flagships, even handed, well balanced, great horns, instrumentation and vocals portrayal.

Like its Shibata mm sibling the 2M Black with as I say a touch more refinement being mc and instrumental information ie texture, timbre....very nice and importantly non fatiguing, just has you reaching for ya vinyl :)

walpurgis
23-10-2017, 19:20
I'm in for expense hahaha. I'm genuinely worried I'm gonna love it. Can't pass up the opportunity though.

It'll be different to the ZYX Oliver and very good, but won't necessarily be better. I sold my very nice Decca London Export Grey after buying the R50 Bloom H.

Bigman80
23-10-2017, 19:31
It'll be different to the ZYX Oliver and very good, but won't necessarily be better. I sold my very nice Decca London Export Grey after buying the R50 Bloom H.Yes I am finding things are more different now than "better" so it wouldn't surprise me. But I'm really excited to try one.

Jimbo
23-10-2017, 19:49
The Decca is definitely one of the all time great pieces of analog sound reproduction history and should be tried by all vinyl fans.

I likened mine to a Ferrari and most other cartridges as a day to day runner. I would not have mine set up all the time but it's certainly great to pop on every now and then, they can be a bit too much to handle. You will see Oli when you borrow mine, they are a bit hairshirt! Set up right they can do some stunning things but they can also be frustrating.

Like all things in hifi, every bit of kit has its pros and cons. Nothing is perfect or the best. You always have to make compromises in some areas and some areas of the Decca's performance are compromised.

Bigman80
23-10-2017, 19:54
The Decca is definitely one of the all time great pieces of analog sound reproduction history and should be tried by all vinyl fans.

I likened mine to a Ferrari and most other cartridges as a day to day runner. I would not have mine set up all the time but it's certainly great to pop on every now and then, they can be a bit too much to handle. You will see Oli when you borrow mine, they are a bit hairshirt! Set up right they can do some stunning things but they can also be frustrating.

Like all things in hifi, every bit of kit has its pros and cons. Nothing is perfect or the best. You always have to make compromises in some areas and some areas of the Decca's performance are compromised.I am incredibly grateful Jim, it's maybe something that would've been out of my reach to try for a long time. I'll judge it on its own performance but a Ferrari against a day to day motor sound very much like my cup of tea.

Jimbo
23-10-2017, 20:10
No problem, nice to be able to spread the Decca Magic, mind you when you actually see one in the flesh you might not think so!:lol:

Bigman80
23-10-2017, 20:11
No problem, nice to be able to spread the Decca Magic, mind you when you actually see one in the flesh you might not think so![emoji38]Haha oh no. I'm gonna be petrified about breaking it [emoji33][emoji33][emoji33]

carruthersesq
23-10-2017, 21:42
Glad you’re still enjoying it Ian. :)

Ian7633
23-10-2017, 22:57
Glad you’re still enjoying it Ian. :)

Yes thanks Steve, really like it. It was a good step up from the 2M.