PDA

View Full Version : Quad 405 - modified by Fidele Audio with NET Audio MK3 Boards

Ripley's Cat
20-10-2017, 13:56
Dear all,
Never thought I'd need to sell this beauty, but needs must - and Mrs Ripley's Cat has wisely made me aware to the relationship between outgoings and incomings (or the lack recently, thereof).

I bought this about six years ago and it has provided absolutely sterling - and faultless - service. It's been partnered with a few pre-amps, but saw the best part of its service coupled with a Quad 99 Pre, feeding the life and movement into Quad 22L floor-standers. I've recently moved to bi-amping my system and the new amplification set-up narrowly punches above the weight of this 405 - just. That being said, what I've gained in scale, I've also lost in finesses and detail. Still, my hearing at the upper-frequencies is going (I put this down, in part, to being a father of two girls.) So the Quad's ready for a new home.

I'll let the photos do the talking, along with the link to the Net Audio webpage for details of the internal goodies:
http://www.net-audio.co.uk/quad405mk3.html

It's worth noting that the amp was modified by Fidele Audio (rather than by me, thank God!) and includes the OPA637AP op-amp upgrade. It also includes a service sticker inside for 2011, so consider it electrically sound and safe. That saying, there's no implication or inclusion of any kind of guarantee.

I would, in all fairness, favour collection from Lincolnshire, but I do have an official Quad 405 box for it to be sent via Parcelforce with enhanced compensation.

Price will be a firm at £350 with and additional £20 for postage (this has been quite difficult to calculate due to a scarcity of previous NET Audio Mk3 Quad 405 sales, but have endeavoured to remain realistic - please feel free to comment to the contrary). Bank transfer, Paypal gift, cash are all fine and dandy. I should point out, that I shall have to move across to the evil bidding empire in a handful of days, if no noise on this fine site ....

Any questions, please ask.

Kind regards,
Matt

Ripley's Cat
21-10-2017, 13:05
Has just been listed on the evil-bidding-site-kinda bump . . .

Ripley's Cat
23-10-2017, 14:24
Price-too-high type of bump? :scratch:

Comments (and criticism) welcome!

Ripley's Cat
27-10-2017, 11:44
SOLD

Simon_LDT
28-10-2017, 19:39
Glad this sold as it was tempting me...

Did you move to the Arcam amps in your sig? Curious to hear what you think compared to the Quad as I've currently got P1 monoblocks myself.

Ripley's Cat
29-10-2017, 08:54
Hi Simon -
Yep - moved to the Arcams. I'd owned an Arcam Alpha 10 integrated & 10p a number of years ago. Moved to the Quad and felt that I'd left something behind in sense of scale. I'd convinced myself that maybe Arcam seems to be a bit of a dirty word in some circles . . . . and that I should be hankering after something more high-end. The Quad had a precision and finesse about it that made vocals - particularly female - beautifully sublime. But a chance came up to buy the Arcam C30 Pre at a ridiculous price. I was wise enough to buy the two P25s (effectively reclothed alpha 10s) and compare the Arcam setup to the Quad (with a Quad 99 pre). And yes: I had it back - the sense of scale that had been missing - but this time with the precision and depth of detail that the Alpha 10 integrated hadn't been able to reproduce; I'm assuming the weakest link in my earlier system had been the pre section of the Alpha 10 integrated. Can't see myself upgrading from my current 3 box Arcam system anytime soon.

Simon_LDT
29-10-2017, 17:03
Thanks for taking the time to reply Matthew. I haven't had much to compare with my Arcam's, I upgraded from a Marantz PM7001 and when I put it back in after about a year with the P1's, I noticed a bit more kick in the lower end but it sounded more artificial and forward, especially in the mids. The Arcams for me are more neutral and are able to give better nuance to the details and I seem to prefer that. The only other amp I compared is the Firebottle AIR that was on loan last year. I felt it had a touch more kick yet still being neutral and well balanced. I felt the P1's still had that little extra detail but it was very close.