PDA

View Full Version : My first vinyl release!

Rothchild
20-10-2017, 13:12
Exciting times indeed.

I've been involved in a few records over the years that have had physical label releases (to CD) but this is the first time I've had the joy of my work being pressed to the old black stuff.

https://wiaiwya.bandcamp.com/album/john-doe

It's a pretty cool concept album, with a band more normally known for spikey, minimal, three piece indie punk offerings, but on this 'with friends' version they've broadened the scope a bit and included sound design and electronica elements too. The upshot of it is really quite an interesting listen, musically diverse yet thematically linked as a single entity (each song is a different view point on the apparent death at sea of 'John Doe' )

I'd be interested to hear the views from the gallery here, both in terms of the album as a whole but also on how you find the sound (given that I mixed it).

take5
20-10-2017, 13:31
I'd be interested to hear the views from the gallery here, both in terms of the album as a whole but also on how you find the sound (given that I mixed it).

congratulations . sounds good.

for me, i would have liked a little less volume in the backing instruments, with the voice a bit more forward in the mix

Rothchild
20-10-2017, 13:50
congratulations . sounds good.

for me, i would have liked a little less volume in the backing instruments, with the voice a bit more forward in the mix

Thanks Brian, is that comment based on a particular track or across the piece? The relative balance of band and vox does move around quite a bit (I think The Line Manager has it quite forward, for instance).

brian2957
20-10-2017, 14:39
For me SQ is excellent , TBH I think the balance is pretty good . Not my kind of music although it sounds very good on my system .

Congratulations and well done :)

Rothchild
20-10-2017, 15:00
For me SQ is excellent , TBH I think the balance is pretty good . Not my kind of music although it sounds very good on my system .

Congratulations and well done :)

Booom! Go to the top of the class, thanks Brian nice to know it 'translates' across different systems

There's a few different tracks on there so there might be some that are more up your street - personally I challenge anyone to listen to it as a whole work, understand the concept, and not feel a bit choked up with the last number, shreds me every time.

struth
20-10-2017, 15:17
Only got headphones at moment but is sounds very good on them. Didnt listen to it all, just excerpts from each track but mix sounded well done.

brian2957
20-10-2017, 15:17
OK Marc I'll give it more time when I get a chance .

It's not often I'm top of the class BTW :)

take5
20-10-2017, 15:33
Thanks Brian, is that comment based on a particular track or across the piece? The relative balance of band and vox does move around quite a bit (I think The Line Manager has it quite forward, for instance).

Marc, Im afraid I only had time to listen to the first track, so my comment was based on that.

I dont want to sound too critical. It sounded really good. well done

Audio Al
20-10-2017, 16:16
Mark what part did you play ?

Rothchild
20-10-2017, 16:44
Mark what part did you play ?I mixed it (+recorded the percussion) I was delivered multi track recordings made by someone else at a local studio and did all the mix and processing, it was then mastered elsewhere.

We took a 'creative limitations' approach to the mixes, which meant the absolute bare minimum of plug ins (mostly corrective eq) and all the rest of the processing on oldish outboard, 2.5 compressors and two reverbs, that's it.

Sent from my PSP7530DUO using Tapatalk

brian2957
20-10-2017, 17:01
This is growing on me Marc . It's a very clean and ' live ' sounding album ( on my system ) . I really like the first and last tracks .

Keep going back to your link :)

Rothchild
21-10-2017, 08:07
Marc, Im afraid I only had time to listen to the first track, so my comment was based on that.

I dont want to sound too critical. It sounded really good. well done

No worries, I put it here for constructive criticism so I appreciate you taking the time to have a listen and offer some feedback.

Rothchild
21-10-2017, 08:13
This is growing on me Marc . It's a very clean and ' live ' sounding album ( on my system ) . I really like the first and last tracks .

Keep going back to your link :)

Thanks Brian, nice of you to say.

Do feel free to support indie artists and labels by buying a copy and telling your friends ;-)

YNWaN
21-10-2017, 09:34
I really like it musically and have just bought a copy.

Rothchild
21-10-2017, 12:09
Nice one mark, did you go digital or vinyl?

Sent from my PSP7530DUO using Tapatalk

YNWaN
21-10-2017, 12:37
Oh, I bought the vinyl of course :) - bits of it are a bit Belle and Sebastian.

Rothchild
21-10-2017, 17:32
Oh, I bought the vinyl of course :) - bits of it are a bit Belle and Sebastian.

Cracking stuff, yeah a lot of stuff I work on ends up being in that sort of family tree (shambolic but clean, sugar pop tinged but a good dose of melancholy)

I think the mastering engineer has done some really great work on the vinyl cut so I'll be interested to hear how you find it when it comes through.

Bigman80
21-10-2017, 19:29
Hi Marc,

First off, well done for putting yourself up for feedback on your work.

I am very impressed with the actual quality of the recording, it's at audiophile but level and if I still had a band it would have been great to work in that level of quality.

Mix wise, I'm convinced a touch of reverb/echo maybe even double tracking the vocals would take a touch of edge of the female vocals. She has a good voice but i think it's too forward in the mix on some track. Still, only a minor remark really.

That's the only criticism from me. It's a very well recorded and arranged mix.

Well done!!

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Rothchild
22-10-2017, 08:15
Thanks Oliver,

There is actually reverb on most of the vocals but it is generally kept light (and quite small) to try and up the intimacy. Given the general aesthetic values of the Band I'd probably have got lynched for suggesting double tracking ;-)

Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment.

Bigman80
22-10-2017, 08:27
Thanks Oliver,

There is actually reverb on most of the vocals but it is generally kept light (and quite small) to try and up the intimacy. Given the general aesthetic values of the Band I'd probably have got lynched for suggesting double tracking ;-)

Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment.As with all things, it's subjective isn't it. I enjoyed listening. That's the main thing.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Macca
22-10-2017, 08:49
I really like it musically and have just bought a copy.

Me too.

Have only listened through the laptop though so won't comment on the mix until I can have a proper listen. Reminds me a bit of the B52s, think it is maybe her voice.

Rothchild
23-10-2017, 09:00
Nice one Martin, I look forward to hearing your more considered thoughts once you've had a chance to listen to it on proper speakers.

YNWaN
11-11-2017, 14:04
Well I’ve just had my vinyl copy delivered and will soon have a listen to it :). I must say I particularly liked the inclusion of the limited edition single - mine is #405 of 777.

Rothchild
13-11-2017, 19:09
Damn, no one told me about the single! What tracks are on it?

Hope the vinyl comes up well on your system, it's been excellent on both of mine (which is a relief given that my ears are the reference!)