PDA

View Full Version : Here's I..

vintagesteve
18-10-2017, 16:09
I'm from Staffordshire in the UK. I've been into many different aspects of audio, vintage audio and video since 1977. These include vintage radio (30s - 60s), vintage TV (up to the early 50s), vintage video (all formats), vintage hifi (from valves to solid state) and 60s portable radios including large high spec ones. I use a 'normal' high quality, solid state set up for my every day listening; Quad 44/405, Sony tuner, Garrard 401/SME/Ortofon MC, Revox A77, Tandberg 440A cassette, Tannoy XT 6F speakers.

I'm a qualified electronics engineer and have worked in the electronics field all my life. I started as an electronics test engineer and morphed through sales and contracts to marketing communications (PR and advertising). Although retired I still write press releases for electronic components on a freelance basis.

I have built my own amplifier and speakers in the past and I have repaired just about any kind of audio equipment that you could mention, although I'm not the quickest or most intelligent of repairmen; a 'dogged' approach usually gets me there in the end! BTW, I don't do repairs as any form of job, just for myself on my own kit. As a musician I have also used recording studios many times and had my own 4-track home studio.

I tend to have fads on the different aspects of vintage audio, my present thing being large, powerful hifi receivers from the late 70s.

JohnJo
18-10-2017, 16:15
Hi Steve

A very warm welcome to you, sounds like you'll fit right in here with that list of interests and kit.

Hope you enjoy the forum.

Puffin
18-10-2017, 16:16
Hi Steve, "an electronics engineer"......brilliant, just the sort guy we like. As to vintage I think a lot us here could be called vintage :lol: I have been "into" all things hifi since I was 11 years old. Look forward to seeing you posting here.

Marco
18-10-2017, 16:20
Hi Steve,

A very warm welcome to AoS! :)

Aside from the fact that we love quality vintage gear, your background and experience in the field of audio sounds fascinating, so please stick around and impart on us your valuable knowledge.

In that respect, I look forward to reading your input and contributions to the various discussions on the forum.

Marco.

walpurgis
19-10-2017, 08:16
Hello Steve. Welcome to AOS.

Your interest seems to parallel that of many of us here. Vintage gear is very popular.

There's plenty going on here and I'm sure your input will be useful. So get involved and have a chat with members.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

Firebottle
19-10-2017, 08:38
Hi Steve, a big welcome from a fellow EE.

I like the 'dogged' approach to repairs, I also like to accept any challenge to repair kit, the more different designs the merrier.

Join in, it's a lively forum.
:)

vintagesteve
19-10-2017, 18:46
Thanks guys, how nice to receive those lovely welcome messages, thank you!

Marco
19-10-2017, 20:23
No problem, Steve. Just reward us by sticking around and offering your erudite contributions! :thumbsup:

Marco.

RobbieGong
19-10-2017, 21:01
I'm from Staffordshire in the UK. I've been into many different aspects of audio, vintage audio and video since 1977. These include vintage radio (30s - 60s), vintage TV (up to the early 50s), vintage video (all formats), vintage hifi (from valves to solid state) and 60s portable radios including large high spec ones. I use a 'normal' high quality, solid state set up for my every day listening; Quad 44/405, Sony tuner, Garrard 401/SME/Ortofon MC, Revox A77, Tandberg 440A cassette, Tannoy XT 6F speakers.

I'm a qualified electronics engineer and have worked in the electronics field all my life. I started as an electronics test engineer and morphed through sales and contracts to marketing communications (PR and advertising). Although retired I still write press releases for electronic components on a freelance basis.

I have built my own amplifier and speakers in the past and I have repaired just about any kind of audio equipment that you could mention, although I'm not the quickest or most intelligent of repairmen; a 'dogged' approach usually gets me there in the end! BTW, I don't do repairs as any form of job, just for myself on my own kit. As a musician I have also used recording studios many times and had my own 4-track home studio.

I tend to have fads on the different aspects of vintage audio, my present thing being large, powerful hifi receivers from the late 70s.

Hi Steve,

You'll be familiar with the Pioneer SX 1980 then I assume ? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pioneer_SX-1980

I've seen one in the flesh and with the hood off, what a thing ! :eek:

vintagesteve
20-10-2017, 13:07
Hi Steve,

You'll be familiar with the Pioneer SX 1980 then I assume ? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pioneer_SX-1980

I've seen one in the flesh and with the hood off, what a thing ! :eek:

I too have seen one in the flesh, someone was recapping one. Saying that, 'afficionados' say (debate?) that the SX-1250 is/was the high water mark when it comes to overall sound quality, looks, build quality, screening, general performance etc etc. Saying that, if someone was to offer me a 1980 - or even the smaller 1280 - tomorrow, I'm sure my ears would prick up!

BTW, you seem to have a nice set up there with that Sansui AU-919. That was Sansui's 'best amp' wasn't it?

RobbieGong
20-10-2017, 17:18
The AU-919 is simple superb and deserves all the accolades and reputation it has. Sound I would describe as pure, it gets out of the way and just lets the music come through.

It is indeed regarded as one of Sansui's best ever but there are other Sansui amps that have a similar rep too.

The AU-X1 is one of those. Sansui took the 919 close to the limit in terms of slew rate etc and it has one of the widest bands widths ever.

With the AU-X1, Sansui pushed things further, to the limit and some which meant stability issues with early models.

It was the flagship between 1979-83.

'Quote'
"It is one of the mightiest and best sounding amps of its time - and beyond. 160 wpc rms at 8 ohms, weight almost 28 kg. More a power amp with controls than a conventional integrated amp, but it has phono MM/MC and many other in-/outputs. Lacks tone controls, though.
Some (first version) tend to have oscillation problems, others (later) don't. One of the best amps ever." :)

vintagesteve
21-10-2017, 11:01
The AU-919 is simple superb and deserves all the accolades and reputation it has. Sound I would describe as pure, it gets out of the way and just lets the music come through.

It is indeed regarded as one of Sansui's best ever but there are other Sansui amps that have a similar rep too.

The AU-X1 is one of those. Sansui took the 919 close to the limit in terms of slew rate etc and it has one of the widest bands widths ever.

With the AU-X1, Sansui pushed things further, to the limit and some which meant stability issues with early models.

It was the flagship between 1979-83.

'Quote'
"It is one of the mightiest and best sounding amps of its time - and beyond. 160 wpc rms at 8 ohms, weight almost 28 kg. More a power amp with controls than a conventional integrated amp, but it has phono MM/MC and many other in-/outputs. Lacks tone controls, though.
Some (first version) tend to have oscillation problems, others (later) don't. One of the best amps ever." :)

I guess they were in competition with Pioneer's SA-9800 and 9900 then? Were they considered sparring partners? Did any other Japanese manufacturers make any really viable amps to take on these at the time?

walpurgis
21-10-2017, 11:04
Did any other Japanese manufacturers make any really viable amps to take on these at the time?

Luxman.

Firebottle
21-10-2017, 21:46
I have an NEC A820E from 1980 that you might like to see/hear at some time Steve :thumbsup:

It's used on AV duties.

drSM
22-10-2017, 00:17
Thumbs up to Sansui I am a big fan and have a few vintage models
In actuality there were lots of other great Jap amps
Almost everyJap brand seems to have a model or two with cult followings these days
Oh and a warm Welcome to Steve !

mik_rik
22-10-2017, 18:39
I have a Pioneer SX 1250,weighs in at 64lbs.Too much of a bugger to lug about so never comes out of it's lair.Will post some pics of it with it's lid off if I can get my camera to work :) Mick ps welcome aboard from an old[ish] ex service engineer :) cheers Mick

Spectral Morn
23-10-2017, 10:40
Welcome to AoS Steve