PDA

View Full Version : Tisbury Audio phono stage. Anybody tried it?

walpurgis
17-10-2017, 10:20
I see Tisbury Audio now offer a universal phono stage at what looks like a very reasonable price. It caters for MM carts and Low output MCs. Has anybody tried one? I'm curious to hear opinons if you have.

http://www.tisburyaudio.co.uk/domino-phono-preamplifier

User211
17-10-2017, 17:26
I see Tisbury Audio now offer a universal phono stage at what looks like a very reasonable price. It caters for MM carts and Low output MCs. Has anybody tried one? I'm curious to hear opinons if you have.

http://www.tisburyaudio.co.uk/domino-phono-preamplifierJust buy one 14 day return after all?

kambo_z
17-10-2017, 20:07
looks very nice. I am curious to know the performance as well.

Mikeandvan
18-10-2017, 22:53
Well, it looks nice.

Barry
18-10-2017, 23:08
The wood fascia doesn't do it for me, but that's a minor niggle. Of more importance is the low 47R loading impedance for MC cartridges. Maybe OK for Ortofon SPUs, but too low for most other MCs which like to see 100R or higher.

The price asked is a bit of a steal for a phonostage - and it's British too!

Someone please audition one and report their findings.

Firebottle
19-10-2017, 07:42
Yes I questioned the 47 ohm MC loading as well. Only a little research shows 100 ohm to be the de-facto 'standard'.

Bigman80
19-10-2017, 13:07
Hi All,

Seeing this little devise has intrigued me SO I've contacted Wes, at Tisbury audio, to see about the availability of a demo unit that I could have a listen to and review AND ........ one will be on the way in about 1 months time for my evaluation!!

Off to a good start when a manufacturer/designer offers up a demo unit !!

Bravo Tisbury.

I will post my findings as soon as I have had a listen to it.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Marco
19-10-2017, 13:09
....hopefully! ;)

If it's anything like the little passive preamp, it should be good.

Marco.

walpurgis
19-10-2017, 13:20
I've contacted Wes, at Tisbury audio, to see about the availability of a demo unit that I could have a listen to and review

Good. I was considering doing the same Oliver.

Bigman80
19-10-2017, 13:34
Good. I was considering doing the same Oliver.Good stuff Geoff. Like mindedness is a good thing [emoji6]

Hopefully Marco, I'm sure it'll represent the company well. I name dropped AoS whilst asking for a demo unit, that might have helped [emoji23]

Rising stock?

walpurgis
19-10-2017, 14:50
Good stuff Geoff. Like mindedness is a good thing

Rest assured. You don't want a mind like mine mate! :eek:

Bigman80
19-10-2017, 14:51
Rest assured. You don't want a mind like mine mate! :eek:[emoji23][emoji23]

Marco
19-10-2017, 14:51
Lol... The Tizzy passives have always had a good rep here, which the maker will doubtless be aware of, so mentioning us may have helped. Anyway, I look forward to reading your findings :)

Marco.

struth
19-10-2017, 14:58
Rest assured. You don't want a mind like mine mate! :eek:

nope, i concur. i got one and now cant get rid of it;)

walpurgis
19-10-2017, 15:01
nope, i concur. i got one and now cant get rid of it;)

I did warn you! :lol:

Edward
20-10-2017, 15:16
I was in contact with Wes at Tisbury and mentioned this thread. He responded as below:

Hi Edward,

Good to hear from you again and thanks for the heads up. Nice to see lots of interest in the Domino.

Would you mind passing on a message about the input loading? A few people have pointed out the 47 ohm MC input loading is not ideal, so it's being changed to 100 ohms in the next batch (in a couple of months). In the meantime if anyone wants one set to 100 ohms now it can be done free of charge, though the bottom plate will still be marked as 47 ohms.

All the best
Wes

Bigman80
20-10-2017, 15:47
That's excellent. Good to see a manufacturer listen to the concensus. Looking forward to giving this a run out.

Edward
03-12-2017, 21:35
That's excellent. Good to see a manufacturer listen to the concensus. Looking forward to giving this a run out.

Hi Oliver

Did this happen?

Ed

Bigman80
03-12-2017, 21:37
Still waiting Ed, I contacted Wes a few days back and he said the demo units haven't been returned yet so he's going to send me one when his next batch come through.

walpurgis
23-12-2017, 23:16
Well? :popcorn:

skimminstones
25-01-2018, 15:33
was there any news on this? My phono blew today so need a new one. Struggling to find any info or reviews on it though

Bigman80
25-01-2018, 15:35
He never got back to me. Said he was waiting for the next batch as the demo units haven't been returned.

skimminstones
07-02-2018, 20:37
Well i bought one. Not the best of starts as once plugged in nothing comes out the left speaker. PLugged the old pre back in and its working fine so its boxed back up and being returned.

The unit seems well made i suppose though its smaller than i thought and incredibly light. So light that i even wondered if it had any innards.

Bigman80
07-02-2018, 20:48
Well i bought one. Not the best of starts as once plugged in nothing comes out the left speaker. PLugged the old pre back in and its working fine so its boxed back up and being returned.

The unit seems well made i suppose though its smaller than i thought and incredibly light. So light that i even wondered if it had any innards.Oh dear. That's never good.

ianlenco
09-02-2018, 11:02
Bad luck on the faulty Domino Keith. I took delivery of one this morning and it works fine. Having previously owned the Tisbury passive pre the size didn't surprise me. Played a few LP's, Emiliana Torrini and the Colorist, King Crimson, The XX and all I can say is for the money it's very very good. Lovely delicate nature with female vocals, wide soundstage and reasonable depth, quiet too. I'm using a low output Zyx Bloom R50 mc and gain is more than adequate. I've bought it as a stop gap while I save up for something better but I think I'm going to have to save a lot longer to better it :)