PDA

View Full Version : wanted hadcock or mayware tonearm.

karma67
15-10-2017, 18:21
id like to try my decca with a unipivot so with that in mind what have you got?:eyebrows:

walpurgis
15-10-2017, 18:26
Make sure it can balance out the Decca. It's heavy.

karma67
15-10-2017, 18:36
good point,you can probably tell im having a made moment,im sure the alphason is fine for the decca,perhaps trying thicker damping fluid in the trough would be a more sensible approach?

walpurgis
15-10-2017, 18:38
Is it sounding good? If so, you shouldn't need heavier damping.

karma67
15-10-2017, 18:47
Is it sounding good? If so, you shouldn't need heavier damping.

yes,very good,ive just got that hifi news test lp mistracking playing on my mind.

walpurgis
15-10-2017, 19:02
yes,very good,ive just got that hifi news test lp mistracking playing on my mind.

I don't recall any cartridge I've had passing all the tracking tests on the HFS69 test album I have. Ignore it Jamie.

Barry
15-10-2017, 19:29
The only tracking test you need to worry about is the tracking of the cannon 'crack' on the Telarc's "Tchaikovsky 1812". If one looks at the record groove it undergoes a near right angle kink at that point. :eek: My Decca tracks it though.

hifi_dave
16-10-2017, 09:00
I wouldn't swop an Alphason for a Hadcock or Mayware.

walpurgis
16-10-2017, 09:13
Having given it a bit of thought, I can't think of any unipivot arm I'd want.

Apart from maybe the original Decca International, with the metal headshell and long pillar with opposing magnets in. I had one many years ago (when they were still being made) and liked it. I didn't think much of the later ones without the magnetic levitation and the nasty 'Connoisseur' plastic headshell with the spirit level in it.

tapid
16-10-2017, 12:03
Decca themselves recommend a unipivot arm. I ve been incredibly pleased with my mayware tonearm over the last 6 months
of ownership in partnership with the decca gold, clarity is superb and very moosical as well !. In fact one chappie on this forum a few years back
said in 35 years of listening with various arms on his decca he favoured the mayware above everything else, magical he called it.
I had a technoarm before and never could get it sounding like the mayware.

karma67
16-10-2017, 16:24
I wouldn't swop an Alphason for a Hadcock or Mayware.

neither would i dave

karma67
16-10-2017, 18:05

Apart from maybe the original Decca International, with the metal headshell and long pillar with opposing magnets in. I had one many years ago (when they were still being made) and liked it. I didn't think much of the later ones without the magnetic levitation and the nasty 'Connoisseur' plastic headshell with the spirit level in it.
yes i know the model,ive been having a play with the tracking weight today briefly, ive gone from the recomended 1.8 to 1.9 and it sounds better to my ears,will have more time after work tomorrow for more listening tests. :thumbsup:

Barry
16-10-2017, 18:46

The Decca (London) International, with the spirit level headshell, used opposing magnets but was as you say a poor little thing: badly made and somewhat clunky. The only Decca arms worth considering are IMO the original 'Professional' and the later 'ffss' (upgraded to Super level and fitted with bias compensation), neither of which are unipivot designs.

One left-field consideration might be the Audio & Design (later known as the Keith Monks) M9BA unipivot design. However it uses four small arcuate mercury pools as part of the signal connection, so is somewhat suspect when it comes to health and safety. It was available with an extra heavy counterweight for use with the Decca Mk. IV.

When Jimmy Hughes reviewed the Mk. IV in Hi-Fi Answers, he used it in a Linn Ittok arm on a Linn Sondeck. A strange combination IMO, and he had problems with hum; no doubt caused by the three-wire connection used by Decca.

The Decca/Hadcock was almost de rigeur in the late '80s, but that was using the Mk. V and later versions which are lighter than the Mk. IV.

If you are getting good results using the Decca in the Alphason arm, then I see no reason why you should look elesewhere.

kambo_z
16-10-2017, 20:48
I have Decca London international tonearm and i really like it. The base is very good.