PDA

View Full Version : mistracking

karma67
14-10-2017, 18:34
should i be worried that i get mistracking when i use the hifi news test record using the vertical resonance test tracks at 20hz and 18hz?
is this audible?

i can dial it out if i raise the tracing force from 1.8g to 2.g but the sound goes off,it would need some more vta adjustment.

walpurgis
14-10-2017, 18:43
No. Ignore it.

Test records don't offer 'real world' situations. If it all sounds OK on music then you don't have a problem. Test records can drive you to distraction.

karma67
14-10-2017, 18:49
thats just the answer i was looking for!
there is nothing audible but thought id ask if only to stop me rushing out and buying a damped unipivot tonearm :doh:

Leftfield
15-10-2017, 19:18
Slightly off topic, but is the Hifi News Test LP a worthy purchase? There is always a little doubt in my mind when I hear some sibilance that i haven't set up my cartridge correctly.��

walpurgis
15-10-2017, 19:35
Slightly off topic, but is the Hifi News Test LP a worthy purchase? There is always a little doubt in my mind when I hear some sibilance that i haven't set up my cartridge correctly.��

It's fun to try out, but it does not offer 'definitive' tests. If you take it too seriously, it will drive you round the bend!

In any case. It was devised in the age of super high compliance, ultra low tracking force cartridges like the ADCs, Empires and the like. It has no relevance in this age of medium to low compliance cartridges as their spec will not match the performance criteria of the record. Nor will any older low compliance cartridge.

Leftfield
15-10-2017, 20:06
Thanks Geoff, I could do without anything else in this house driving me round the twist !!!!
sounds like I may be better putting my shekels towards a geo disc instead to ensure my alignment is accurate and use some familiar tracks to dial in the bias and tracking force.