PDA

View Full Version : Bizarre Gigs

The Grand Wazoo
11-02-2010, 21:41
About 13 or so years ago, I went to see a blues gig in a pub in Nottingham. The main act was T-Model Ford who is now known a bit more, I guess, than he was then.
However, one of the support acts was Bog Log III. Now our Bob plays his gigs dressed in a skin tight jump suit and a fighter pilot's helmet. He sings through the intercom microphone of the helmet.............hmmm, OK

sqFE5fJ3xT4

Spectral Morn
11-02-2010, 21:54
About 13 or so years ago, I went to see a blues gig in a pub in Nottingham. The main act was T-Model Ford who is now known a bit more, I guess, than he was then.
However, one of the support acts was Bog Log III. Now our Bob plays his gigs dressed in a skin tight jump suit and a fighter pilot's helmet. He sings through the intercom microphone of the helmet.............hmmm, OK

sqFE5fJ3xT4

Sound like hes a bit of a Bob Calvert fan then. Sounds like the sort of thing Bob would do while fronting HawkWind.

Regards D S D L

John
11-02-2010, 22:41
One of my most bizzare gigs was at the Wellington in Shepards Bush back in the 80s where I saw a heavy metal band that had a similkar image to the Village People
I also remember going to Yngwie play at the marquee a day before Bruce was about to play Wembley Someone came up with a rumour that it was a Bruce gig so you had all these Bruce fans going to see a neoclassical guitarist
Another one was watching some female rock singer The press at the time was having a go about her just being a sex symbol so mid way in the set she has a go about the press saying she is just a singer having fun 5mins latter she was slapping her bum
My fav ego moment was when the lead singer from Phamton blue pointed at me and said you the one who likes like an angel you can come backstage anytime ahh rock n roll

DanJennings
12-02-2010, 09:32
I went to see a band called Rock Bitch, at a very small place in Worcester...
me and a mate saw the description, which said '10 piece lesbian metal band' and thought, that sounds like a giggle.
We knew something was afoot when we saw some of the fans, a strange looking bunch you could say...
The band came on, the keyboard player was completely naked, the guitarist wore a loin cloth and nothing else, there were 2 or 3 members of the band that didn't seem to do anything...
Within 30 seconds of them being on stage, a female member of the audience was licking the guitarist's ladybits...
There are plenty more shocking details, but I fear this is not the place to discuss them...
but most definitely the most bizarre gig I've ever seen.

Marco
12-02-2010, 10:12
Hahahahaha.... Danny boy. F*ckin' ell, WHY OH WHY did I miss that!! :doh: :lol:

Did you take any pics on yer camera? ;)

Marco.

REM
12-02-2010, 10:23
Rock Bitch were booked to play KGH in Blackburn about 10 years or so ago, never happened though, the council got told what their act was like and banned them before the event, can't have that sort of thing here might frighten the horses and all that. The spirit of Mrs Whitehouse is alive and well in Blackburn.:rolleyes:

Marco
12-02-2010, 10:31
Just imagine mopping up the stage afterwards for 'spillages'...... :eyebrows: :lol:

;)

Marco.

DanJennings
12-02-2010, 10:51
Hahahahaha.... Danny boy. F*ckin' ell, WHY OH WHY did I miss that!! :doh: :lol:

Did you take any pics on yer camera? ;)

Marco.

Unfortunately not, but I did get in a HELL of a lot of trouble with my girlfriend at the time, I got sprayed in the face by lady juice, and smelt of it when I went home!

since you chaps have expressed an interest, a couple more titbits of info,
one of their songs was called fistf*ck, and the singer did so, to two women at once during the song.... at one point they threw out a golden condom, and whoever caught it got to shag 2 of them backstage while they played the next couple of numbers

Marco
12-02-2010, 10:53
So you were in the front row??

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAAHAHA.... I'm absolutely speechless, which is a FIRST for me!! :D :lol: :lolsign:

Marco.

P.S Were they selling 'fur burgers' and chips at the half-time interval? ;)

John
12-02-2010, 10:53
That beats me Dan
What a experience!

Haselsh1
12-02-2010, 14:48
Sounds like a Friday night out in Grimsby...!!!

Barry
12-02-2010, 17:29
I went to see a band called Rock Bitch, at a very small place in Worcester...
me and a mate saw the description, which said '10 piece lesbian metal band' and thought, that sounds like a giggle.
We knew something was afoot when we saw some of the fans, a strange looking bunch you could say...
The band came on, the keyboard player was completely naked, the guitarist wore a loin cloth and nothing else, there were 2 or 3 members of the band that didn't seem to do anything...
Within 30 seconds of them being on stage, a female member of the audience was licking the guitarist's ladybits...
There are plenty more shocking details, but I fear this is not the place to discuss them...
but most definitely the most bizarre gig I've ever seen.

There was a documentary about Rock Bitch shown on Channel 4 (where else) a few years a go. These ladies live in a lesbian commune and yes, their performance on stage could only be described as 'unique'.

In their commune there is just one guy who has the boring caretaker/handyman responsibilities, such as rewiring a fuse and, I think, doubles up as a bodyguard. I wonder how many applicants there were for that job?

Haselsh1
12-02-2010, 22:05
Hmmm... I wonder how well it pays and what the currency is...???

DanJennings
13-02-2010, 11:28
There was a documentary about Rock Bitch shown on Channel 4 (where else) a few years a go. These ladies live in a lesbian commune and yes, their performance on stage could only be described as 'unique'.

In their commune there is just one guy who has the boring caretaker/handyman responsibilities, such as rewiring a fuse and, I think, doubles up as a bodyguard. I wonder how many applicants there were for that job?

Apparently they filmed some of the gig I was at for that docco, their last ever gig at the Worcester Marr's bar.... I'd imagine it was heavily edited.

Apparently before the commune existed, that one man was the drummer for the band.

Alex_UK
13-02-2010, 18:22
Apparently they filmed some of the gig I was at for that docco, their last ever gig at the Worcester Marr's bar.... I'd imagine it was heavily edited.

Apparently before the commune existed, that one man was the drummer for the band.

I think he had to give up being the drummer - he struggled doing it with just one free hand... ;)

DanJennings
13-02-2010, 19:28
I think he had to give up being the drummer - he struggled doing it with just one free hand... ;)

He could have improvised a la Def Leppard! I would've!

The Grand Wazoo
15-02-2010, 00:18
Moving swiftly on & not having any tales of lesbian musicianship to match that one........

The only gig I've ever paid to get into & then walked out of was by a musician (& I use the term advisedly & with every ounce of charity I can muster) whose name I do not know. I think I erased that from my memory very quickly.

Anyway, it was billed as an evening of improvisational jazz guitar, so we went with open minds. What we saw & heard pretty much astounded me. The solo performer was playing a miked up Martin acoustic guitar & in the 40 minutes or so that I was present, he never touched a string once! He was 'playing' over a tape of apparently random noises - seagulls, waves, childrens voices etc and his technique consisted of flicking and banging his fingernails, knuckles & fist over the body of the guitar. This was setting the strings off in sympathetic vibrations & then he started adjusting the tuning pegs to change the sound they were making.

Thrilling!

Marco
15-02-2010, 00:48
Moving swiftly on & not having any tales of lesbian musicianship to match that one........

S'ok, we'll settle for the tales of lesbian musicianship you've got that don't match it - we're not so fussy! ;)

Marco.

Haselsh1
15-02-2010, 08:56

The only gig I've ever paid to get into & then walked out of was by a musician (& I use the term advisedly & with every ounce of charity I can muster) whose name I do not know. I think I erased that from my memory very quickly.

Anyway, it was billed as an evening of improvisational jazz guitar, so we went with open minds. What we saw & heard pretty much astounded me. The solo performer was playing a miked up Martin acoustic guitar & in the 40 minutes or so that I was present, he never touched a string once! He was 'playing' over a tape of apparently random noises - seagulls, waves, childrens voices etc and his technique consisted of flicking and banging his fingernails, knuckles & fist over the body of the guitar. This was setting the strings off in sympathetic vibrations & then he started adjusting the tuning pegs to change the sound they were making.

Thrilling!

Sounds a bit like a Yes gig...!!!

Spectral Morn
15-02-2010, 10:16

Thrilling!

Avant garde..thats what thats called. If you want similar try Colleen, a French experimentalist. You will find her in the Dance music section of most shops (:doh: Dance I don't think so). She really falls into the type of thing Terry Riley or Milton Subotsky did. I tried very hard to like her...but have failed, a spur of the moment purchase in Fopp..a few years ago. I suspect one of her gigs might be similar to the one you experienced Chris.

Hey Shaun leave of with the attacks on Yes ;) Their gigs are excellent shows of musicianship... imho..at least the ones I have been to were.

Regards D S D L

Haselsh1
15-02-2010, 12:55
LOL...:lol:

I once went to a Yes gig only for the start to be delayed by and hour. That meant we had to suffer one more hour of whale sounds over the PA. We were well pissed off by the time the band came on.

The only thing that saved us from a riot was the most stunning version of 'Close To The Edge' I have ever heard. Rick Wakeman was still wearing one of his bloody capes and this was around 1997...! What a turkey...!

Spectral Morn
15-02-2010, 14:24
LOL...:lol:

I once went to a Yes gig only for the start to be delayed by and hour. That meant we had to suffer one more hour of whale sounds over the PA. We were well pissed off by the time the band came on.

The only thing that saved us from a riot was the most stunning version of 'Close To The Edge' I have ever heard. Rick Wakeman was still wearing one of his bloody capes and this was around 1997...! What a turkey...!

Hi Shaun

All the ones I have been to the music (over the PA) before the gig has been very good...no whale sounds :lol::lol::lol: That would however do your head in. Thankfully Rick seems to be over his cape wearing problem :doh::lol::lol:

Regards D S D L

DanJennings
15-02-2010, 16:42
Yeah, I've seen Yes a few times live, admittedly only once with Rick Wakeman....
never had any whale sounds, and always had an excellent 3 hour plus gig.

I definitely wouldn't see them now that not only is Rick not in the band again, but Jon Anderson has been chucked out for a tribute band singer.... :(

Back on topic, I saw a guy a couple of times supporting other bands, and he played all of his music sequenced and otherwise, using kids toys e.g Game Boy, toy saxophone, etc, and sang very strange songs.... He was good though!

Stratmangler
15-02-2010, 17:00
I definitely wouldn't see them now that not only is Rick not in the band again, but Jon Anderson has been chucked out for a tribute band singer.... :(

I thought that Jon Anderson has had problems with ill health in recent years, and as a result is unable to cope with the rigours of touring.

Chris:)

DanJennings
15-02-2010, 17:40
Classic Rock reported that he was upset at being sacked.... hmmm

The Grand Wazoo
15-02-2010, 18:07
I've seen Yes twice (both with and without the bloody Buggles) & didn't really feel the need to walk out - believe me the gig I described above was truly appalling. We were not the only ones to leave.

Beechwoods
15-02-2010, 20:38
I've seen a few 'artistic' shows in my time. We have a great venue for this sort of stuff near me, called 'The Cube' and it has a squat-cinema aesthetic

I saw Mr Hopkinson's Computer playing support to Experimental Audio Research, from the time before the computer was upgraded to a laptop. The face on the monitor lip-sync'd to a prepared tape of tunes... this YouTube vid gives you an idea of what was going on:

ybDU_5gHc8Q

V/VM always puts on a good show. I saw him a few times at The Cube as well, and the highlight was the audience participation game of Bullseye half way through. The show basically comprises extremely distorted remixes of 'school disco' hits with a couple of chaps looning about and doing Jim Davidson impressions:

4hPI4kaeu4k

Cassetteboy are excellent live... especially the first time. Often supported by their DJ; DJ Barry, wearing a black balaclava to avoid the notoriety.

z-A68k6SWaw

I was lucky enough to see Cyderdelic at Glastonbury a few years back. An experience, not quite captured by this Youtube vid...

twZz76Li-8M

Haselsh1
15-02-2010, 20:48
Just to divert the thread again...

I've seen Yes around eight times in total both as Yes and as Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman, Howe. I've been lucky. Every time I've seen them, Rick Wakeman was on the keys. The best gig I saw was the ABWH one. They had Tony Levin on the Chapman Stick and it was truly mind blowing. Both he and Bill Bruford did a synchronised thing on drums and bass and it was awesome.

I do hope that if Jon Anderson is ill he makes a full recovery. I also wish only the best for Andrew Latimer of Camel who has a serious condition.

Techno Commander
06-07-2010, 21:53
Did a laser show for Torture Garden (http://www.torturegarden.com/) who run a popular "fetish night" in the London club scene. I spent a very pleasant couple of hours (well it seemed like it :)) watching a lesbian couple going for it, in the corner behind a PA stack.

Trouble was, having consumed several tins of lager, I needed the khazi. But there was no way I was gonna walk in there "packing wood" as some of the blokes in the place were equally gay and the toilets looked like ambush alley.:eek:

Pete The Cat
10-07-2010, 20:56
Was once impressed by a third on the bill support band called The Babysitters who I saw at Leicester Mr Kiesa's in the mid 80s below Hanoi Rocks and Johnny Thunders. Each member sported a large dummy hanging round his neck. In spite of being there for laughs they out-rocked the headliners comprehensively.

Pete

Mike
11-07-2010, 17:37
Went to see GWAR once... that was, err, 'interesting' with on-stage decapitations, the audience being sprayed with blood, jizz, and god only knows what.

Funny thing was the stage blood didn't wash off and half the town were walking around in various shades of red and pink for about a week!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NzA4XLjRaM&feature=related

Beechwoods
11-07-2010, 19:37
GWAR are one band I'd have loved to see live. And Ministry. And GG Allin. From what I've read though I don't think I'd have lasted a whole GG Allin gig.

XCYAflHm-U4