PDA

View Full Version : Hana SL Rebuild, Aluminium/Shibata Vs Sapphire/Paratrace

Lurch
09-10-2017, 20:34
Following an accident last week with my Hana SL (Snapped cantalever) I contacted expert stylus to get a quote for a rebuild. I received an email reply today giving me 2 options.

1. Rebuild with a new std aluminium cantalever (I have original and the stylus to send them)

2. Rebuild with an upgraded white Sapphire cantalever and Paratrace stylus.

Option 2 is only £69 more than option 1, so on the surface this seems like a very cost effective way to 'upgrade' a cart.

However the Hana SL is a very good cart in standard trim and I really enjoyed it. Though I have never had a more expensive cart to compare it too, so wouldn't know what I was missing against say a Benz Micro or an Ortofon Cadenza.

If I was to go for the upgrade rebuild would it change the sonic character significantly. If so would it potentially be for the better, and sonically, atleast move me further up the cartridge ladder??

Your thoughts and comments on this would be much appreciated

walpurgis
09-10-2017, 21:05
If I was to go for the upgrade rebuild would it change the sonic character significantly. If so would it potentially be for the better, and sonically, atleast move me further up the cartridge ladder??

What did Expert Stylus say?

rubber duck
09-10-2017, 21:10
Does Hana not offer a trade in for a replacement SL? Do they possibly offer a rebuild service? I'd check with the distributor. Actually, just checked and Air Audio no longer lists Hana

Spectral Morn
09-10-2017, 21:19
Hanna themselves will rebuild, repair it. Excel Sound Corporation.

Vx-BkVnWQgU

Lurch
09-10-2017, 21:21
Just that as Sapphire/Paratrace is lighter then will track better and give better detail retrieval. Even reading stuff on Google i.e on the soundsmith website, doesn't give me an insight of what changes to expect.

Spectral Morn
09-10-2017, 21:25
Does Hana not offer a trade in for a replacement SL? Do they possibly offer a rebuild service? I'd check with the distributor. Actually, just checked and Air Audio no longer lists Hana

Yes they do. http://www.airaudio.co.uk/brands/

rubber duck
09-10-2017, 21:38
Ah, I see. Must remember to scroll down.

Spectral Morn
09-10-2017, 22:07
Thing is it will no longer be a Hanna SL, choice is yours.

rubber duck
09-10-2017, 22:22
My sentiments too. I run an SH. There is something innately right about the Hana sound that I would be wary of losing.

walpurgis
09-10-2017, 22:34
Just that as Sapphire/Paratrace is lighter then will track better and give better detail retrieval

It might. But it would be worth finding out if it's a whole new cantilever (unlikely) or a sleeved or bonded replacement cantilever section, which is of course a compromise.

Lurch
10-10-2017, 03:50
It might. But it would be worth finding out if it's a whole new cantilever (unlikely) or a sleeved or bonded replacement cantilever section, which is of course a compromise.

Here is the relevant section from my email that gives basic details of the work:

(I note your interest in upgrading your cartridge and you may like to consider a modification we carry out to upper end cartridges. The modification involves the removal of the aluminium cantilever, machining an abutment and bonding a low mass white sapphire cantilever together with our ultra low mass Paratrace profile diamond. The reduction in overall mass allows the cartridge to trace groove modulations with greater accuracy resulting in maximum retrieval of information)

Ammonite Audio
10-10-2017, 09:38
I recommend also getting a repair quote from Ana Mighty Sound - http://anamightysound.com/ who may be able to offer a much wider range of cantilever and tip options. ESCo's Paratrace tip does not wear well (they do state that it has a limited life, and unless my memory is playing up Mr Hodgson did tell me a few years back that a Paratrace fitted only two years earlier to my Kontrapunkt B was badly worn and 600 hours life is normal).

montesquieu
11-10-2017, 22:22
Second Hugo's suggestion Ana did a fab job with my 'bamboo' Miyajima!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lurch
11-10-2017, 22:32
Cheers for the heads up, am awaiting an email. Have also contacted Air Audio who are the UK distributors and they have offered me a 25% discount against a new one (couldn't use a dealer as have no receipt) that is standard for ALL Hana carts. Either way I will need to do some saving up as bank balance is still trying to recover from the Mb845 Purchase at end of August.