PDA

View Full Version : The Beatles, The USA and Ed Sullivan

mwheelerk
11-02-2010, 03:51
46 years ago yesterday the Beatles appeared on The Ed Sullivan Show a truly monumental event in America. And on this day 46 years ago everything had changed.

The Grand Wazoo
11-02-2010, 07:59
Hehehe.......you may encounter militant indifference to the Beatles from some quarters on AoS!! I can't understand it myself how anyone can fail to see the the importance of this band or recognise the brilliance of most of what they did.

Joe
11-02-2010, 09:42
Hehehe.......you may encounter militant indifference to the Beatles from some quarters on AoS!! I can't understand it myself how anyone can fail to see the the importance of this band or recognise the brilliance of most of what they did.

Indeed. People who don't like the Beatles should not be allowed to own records.

chris@panteg
11-02-2010, 10:45
I would say to anyone try to transport yourself back to 1964 ' and imagine what the music scene was like ! there was Elvis of course but no Jimi hendrix ' led Zep ' Cream ' Doors etc ,etc .

What i am trying to say is how they inspired so many aspiring young talented guy's and gal's to go for it ' and they opened the door so to speak .

The Grand Wazoo
11-02-2010, 11:18
Exactly, and they entertained millions of people along the way (and are still doing so).

mwheelerk
11-02-2010, 13:52
Whether that moment stands out for others or not it is simply for me one of those frozen moments in time. I remember sitting with my family in front of the small black & white screen watching The Ed Sullivan Show as we did each week and things changed from that moment for me. I am not stuck in a time warp. I can still enjoy The Beatles music but it opened a window for me with music. I climbed through it and never came through the front door again. Of course from then on I Came In Through The Bathroom Window! ;)

DSJR
11-02-2010, 14:09
Spring 1963, my friend's sixth birthday party and all we teenies from her class were there. Her mother played some records and one of them was "She Loves You..." I actually preferred Love Me Do when I heard it some time after...

mwheelerk
11-02-2010, 14:20
Another small memory that hangs with me is the first time I heard a Beatles song, I Want To Hold Your Hand. I was in 8th grade of elementary school. I was "in love" with Suzie. She called me on the phone. There was only a single old fashion telephone in the house, it was a party line with several families in the neighborhood sharing the same line. To get privacy I had to stretch the cord and sit on the floor of a closet. Suzie said she wanted me to hear something. She placed her phone next to her '45' record player and played "I Want To Hold Your Hand". I knew right then for certain she "loved" me. She didn't, she married a very good friend in later years and as silly as that little story may seem it was a cherished moment to a 13 year old boy. This was released in America on January 14th so I must of heard it a week or two before the Ed Sullivan show appearance.

Themis
11-02-2010, 14:28
How romantic. :)

Magical Mystery Tour was the second cassette I bought with my brand-new hifi cassette player back in 73 (a Sankyo bought with my first earned money from a summer job).
Boy, what a sound in the headphones ! Even now, I'm stunned of the engineering mixing process of this album.

Marco
11-02-2010, 15:32
Spring 1963, my friend's sixth birthday party and all we teenies from her class were there. Her mother played some records and one of them was "She Loves You..." I actually preferred Love Me Do when I heard it some time after...

Nice stories, guys. It must've been great to have been around when the likes of The Beatles first appeared on the scene - so much superb music was born then :)

In '63, though, I doubt that I was even a twinkle in my father's eye.... ;)

Marco.

Themis
11-02-2010, 16:06
Too young to rock & roll... :lol:

DSJR
11-02-2010, 16:44
In '63, though, I doubt that I was even a twinkle in my father's eye.... ;)

Marco.

I was a nightmare in mine.....:lol:

Dave Cawley
11-02-2010, 16:48
http://www.oldwellcottage.co.uk/images/portreath.jpg

In '63 I was 11 and I remember it well. We lived in Portreath near to the beach that collected driftwood every night before the school bus took us off. I dreamed of holding a 13 year old girls hand, and more.............. Wendy was her name I think?

The Beatles, The Stones, Pink Floyd, Electric Prunes, The Hollies, The Who, oh those brave new world days..........

Dave

Marco
11-02-2010, 19:05
Dave,

I dreamed of holding a 13 year old girls hand, and more..............

I can't for the life of me think what you mean! :eyebrows:

Wendy was her name I think?

Was it not Rhonda, and you asked her "wotcha fonda?" ;)

Marco.

Alex_UK
12-02-2010, 06:42
Hehehe.......you may encounter militant indifference to the Beatles from some quarters on AoS!!

As someone who fitted this description (The Beatles was my Mum & Dad's music, I was born to coincide with the release of Abbey Road ;)) it wasn't until I started buying the remasters that I realised all the great music I'd been missing by just thinking of them as a 60s Boy-Band rather than the pioneers they were.

Great stories guys!

REM
12-02-2010, 10:45
As one who grew up with the Beatles they are very much 'my era' but it seems to me that it's difficult to 'get' music from either before or after whatever 'your' time was, for instance I just don't see why all the fuss about Elvis or most rock 'n roll come to that.