PDA

View Full Version : The golden rules for domestic hi-fi

Steve Toy
10-05-2008, 12:37
The idea for this thread came from Tasha and I think it's a good one. All rules are numbered 1:

1) Always try in your system before you commit to purchasing.

1) Never try anything at home that you cannot own.

1) Trust your ears. Measurements can be a useful guide but they only tell a very tiny part of the story. Manufacturers' own measurements are not always to be trusted anyway.

1) Don't shoot the messenger. Respect hierarchy and synergy. If an amp or cable sounds worse than what you are used to it may simply be telling the truth regarding what is further upstream. If you hear little improvement there may be a bottleneck somewhere in your system. Plan your upgrade path accordingly.

1) Setup is important. Modest yet well setup systems nearly always outperform exotic systems that are just thrown together.

This list is not exhaustive. Additions and comments are welcome.

Iain Sinclair
10-05-2008, 13:16
1) Don't shoot the messenger. Respect hierarchy and synergy. If an amp or cable sounds worse than what you are used to it may simply be telling the truth regarding what is further upstream. If you hear little improvement there may be a bottleneck somewhere in your system. Plan your upgrade path accordingly.

I'd add a rider to the effect that

1) More expensive doesn't necessarily = better. If something more expensive sounds worse than what you're used to, it may just be that it actually is worse.

This next point kind of implied in your first point, but I'd emphasise that:

1) Your room is an important element of your listening pleasure. What sounds right in one room might not work in a bigger/smaller/different shaped room

With regard to upgrade paths, I'd caution that

1) The upgrade path can become an expensive treadmill. Don't be afraid to jump off.

Filterlab
10-05-2008, 13:20
1) Don't believe that what you know is necessarily 'set in stone' truth, even if you believe it is.

1) Try everything even if you don't think it could possibly be better.

1) Use hi-fi magazines for information on products, but don't listen to the reviewer's opinions to judge the sound, your ears are for that.

Marco
10-05-2008, 17:48
The idea for this thread came from Tasha and I think it's a good one. All rules are numbered 1:

1) Always try in your system before you commit to purchasing, etc...

And another from Tasha to you: "You're buying bugger all that isn't CE approved!" :lolsign:

"And wipe those 'pish catchers' of yours before coming into the lounge!" ;)

Tee hee...

Marco.

Steve Toy
10-05-2008, 17:56
I have introduced Tasha to the concept of 'self certification.' The Copper Amp doesn't exactly have any CE logo on it.

Marco
10-05-2008, 18:00
What about the 'pish catchers'?

You won't live that one down, btw! :eyebrows:

Are they banned from the lounge?

Marco.

Steve Toy
10-05-2008, 19:31
The only thing banned from our lounge is ADM bloody Nines:

1) Never believe marketing hype spouted by empty vessels.

penda
10-05-2008, 19:31
1. If it sounds fantastic - it most likely will be tiring

1. does it really sound better - or am i kidding myself?

1. If SWHMO says it sounds crap, it usually does

Filterlab
11-05-2008, 10:59
...SWHMO...

What? What on earth does that mean?!

Steve Toy
11-05-2008, 11:20
'Er indoors/She Who Must Be Obeyed but the letters in the wrong order.

Marco
11-05-2008, 11:33
Man I *so* hate that term...

Marco.

Steve Toy
11-05-2008, 12:14
I'm not terribly keen on the word so used as emphasis. It's a bit teen speak as in:

I'm SOoo... not going to school today.

I'm SOoo not into That prick Dean Carter in Year 10

I'm SOoo just going to have to kick Dean's head in.

But we all have our little pet hates, don't we?

Marco
11-05-2008, 12:24
Yep, and mine is hen-pecked husbands. Not that's I'm saying you're one, of course :)

The saying "She who must be obeyed" just makes me cringe!! :mental:

Marco.

Steve Toy
11-05-2008, 12:50
Marco,

Think irony and think Lacey :eyebrows:

Marco
11-05-2008, 13:05
And 'nagger'... ;)

Marco.

Prince of Darkness
11-05-2008, 16:26
The saying "She who must be obeyed" just makes me cringe!! :mental:

Marco.

Always makes me think of Rumpole of the Bailey.:)

Marco
11-05-2008, 17:36
LOL yeah. Great programme!

Marco.

penda
11-05-2008, 17:37
Man I *so* hate that term...

Marco.

I come on here, try to enter the discussions, make a few simple comments and what do I get....

Not very friendly you lot are you

Marco
11-05-2008, 17:59
Sorry, Penda, I can see why you've taken it that way. Nothing negative was meant at you personally, and most certainly nothing unfriendly, so just ignore us bunch of grumpy old gits! :)

I personally would like to know what you meant by this:

1. If it sounds fantastic - it most likely will be tiring

If your system sounds fantastic why would it be tiring?

Marco.

Prince of Darkness
11-05-2008, 18:18
I suspect Penda may be reffering to the way some products are designed in such a way as to impress in short demo's, but are unbalanced in frequency response (e.g. boom tizz factor). Sometimes they can sound great initially, but become difficult to listen to for prolonged periods.
The stuff we want sounds fantastic at first and just gets better the longer we listen!:gig: